Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Politically correct Stones songs?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 5, 2018 17:58

Well, there are, as someone pointed out, at least two politically corrected Rolling Stones songs: Star Star and Let's Spend Some Time Together (corrected for live television).
And I do remember feminists reacting to the original Black and Blue cover and Reverend Al Sharpton criticizing a line about black girls in "Some Girls": "Black girls just wanna f*** all night...".

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: February 5, 2018 18:35

BTW, as this thread is still lingering on:

When was the last time ever that Mick sang out "Hear him whip the women .."?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 5, 2018 19:00

The Stones got more women going to their gigs than many of the top draw rock bands including The Who, Led Zeppelin or AC/DC.

So I guess that political correctness was never really an issue. If you're into political correctness don't bother with the Stones. Simples.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 5, 2018 19:22

RoughJusticeOnYa
...As far as politically correctED songs go, this one is a real hoot : ... grinning smiley

Star Star - Rolling Stones - censored African version

Wow that's Great!! Better than the original!. Big deep explosions again and again. I vote Yes.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: February 5, 2018 19:26

hopkins
RoughJusticeOnYa
...As far as politically correctED songs go, this one is a real hoot : ... grinning smiley

Wow that's Great!! Better than the original!. Big deep explosions again and again. I vote Yes.

>grinning smiley< Yeah... same here. smoking smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: February 5, 2018 19:29

dead.flowers
BTW, as this thread is still lingering on:

When was the last time ever that Mick sang out "Hear him whip the women .."?

In the so-called ‘Vegas era’, he (sometimes?) leaves out certain lines from Sympathy as well, as I recall.
Dunno which ones exactly, though.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 6, 2018 05:41

Sometimes he skips the "kennedys" reference I noticed here and there.
Always disappointed me cause that composition is sacred to me as written.

Date: February 7, 2018 11:46

I believe that it is since long that this wole passage of Sympathy is not sung any more:-

I watched with glee
While your kings and queens (whoo whoo)
Fought for ten decades (whoo whoo)
For the gods they made (whoo whoo)

I shouted out, (whoo whoo)
"Who killed the Kennedys?" (whoo whoo)
When after all (whoo whoo)
It was you and me (whoo whoo)

Let me please introduce myself (whoo whoo)
I'm a man of wealth and taste (whoo whoo)
And I laid traps for troubadours (whoo whoo)

Who get killed before they reached Bombay (whoo whoo, whoo whoo)

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 7, 2018 12:07

dead.flowers
I believe that it is since long that this wole passage of Sympathy is not sung any more:-

I watched with glee
While your kings and queens (whoo whoo)
Fought for ten decades (whoo whoo)
For the gods they made (whoo whoo)

Not since Sir Mick has become a Sir himself.

dead.flowers

I shouted out, (whoo whoo)
"Who killed the Kennedys?" (whoo whoo)
When after all (whoo whoo)
It was you and me (whoo whoo)

Original lyric was “I shouted out, ‘Who killed Kennedy?’”

But now it's just old news.

dead.flowers

Let me please introduce myself (whoo whoo)
I'm a man of wealth and taste (whoo whoo)
And I laid traps for troubadours (whoo whoo)
Who get killed before they reached Bombay (whoo whoo, whoo whoo)

Nowadays, it's hard to find a rhyme for Mumbai.

Date: February 7, 2018 12:32

Silver Dagger
The Stones got more women going to their gigs than many of the top draw rock bands including The Who, Led Zeppelin or AC/DC.

So I guess that political correctness was never really an issue. If you're into political correctness don't bother with the Stones. Simples.

That's right. Simple as that.

Wrong place here for such a thread.

Date: February 7, 2018 20:16

hopkins
RoughJusticeOnYa

Yet he still hollers on about "I bet you keep your pussy clean" and "giving head to Steve McQueen" with no censor in sight.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: February 7, 2018 21:51

Some Girls: "...African-American women just wanna get romantic all night..."!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 7, 2018 22:34

RoughJusticeOnYa

Fascinating.

And not bad in it's own weird, Benny Hill way. They could have put it out as a single back then.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: February 8, 2018 01:38

Some Girls Deluxe -- Petrol Blues

Thanks, Don Was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-08 01:38 by Sipuncula.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 8, 2018 19:39

Stoneage
Well, there are, as someone pointed out, at least two politically corrected Rolling Stones songs: Star Star and Let's Spend Some Time Together (corrected for live television).
And I do remember feminists reacting to the original Black and Blue cover and Reverend Al Sharpton criticizing a line about black girls in "Some Girls": "Black girls just wanna f*** all night...".

Actually it was Jesse Jackson ( I know its hard to keep the race Hustlers straight ) and it was a pretty big new story at the time, Jagger just said F him if he can't take a joke. That is the way everyone should reply to people who push political correctness.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-08 19:42 by stanlove.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 8, 2018 19:50

stanlove
Stoneage

Actually it was Jesse Jackson ( I know its hard to keep the race Hustlers straight ) and it was a pretty big new story at the time, Jagger just said F him if he can't take a joke. That is the way everyone should reply to people who push political correctness.

...You're right of course, Stanlove. That was the name I was looking for but somehow I came up with Al Sharpton...

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 8, 2018 20:19

Stoneage
stanlove
Stoneage

...You're right of course, Stanlove. That was the name I was looking for but somehow I came up with Al Sharpton...

I remember because my Mother who paid no attention to Rock music bought me Some Girls because I asked and then was annoyed with me when she read about the content from a news story about Jackson's complaints.

Jagger brought up that Jackson was just a hustler who disapeared after getting his name in the press.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1853
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home