Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Los Angeles 1989 - Proshot
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 2, 2018 09:13

Re: Los Angeles 1989 - Proshot
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 2, 2018 10:16

Great! Thanx ExileStones!!! Now I know what I'm gonna watch saturday night along with those two bottles of claret and all that beer that I got stuck in the fridge....
smileys with beer

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 2, 2018 10:45

The video is circulating since the 90's.

Date: February 2, 2018 11:29

Why didn't you hang on to that guitar sound, Keith...

Cool SMU-solo by Ronnie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-02 11:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 2, 2018 14:14

1989 Mick and Keith were physically still very strong, kicking and rocking hard That tour was very focus and pro; Keith wears his guitars quite "up" like he wants to make sure the job is done right. Eventually he will let the axe drop down, changing his look to a more "cool" Keith; none of that dorky-beatles' look.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: February 2, 2018 14:35

DandelionPowderman
Why didn't you hang on to that guitar sound, Keith...

Cool SMU-solo by Ronnie.

Yes, Ronnie does good on that solo. Playing actual notes. Often,(even if it is a good solo) he kind of screams through it. We never talk about Ronnie's moves - he has this move that he always does. usually when he solos, or when he comes on as a guest spot with some other act. It's kind of a whole body shake. It goes from his head to his toes; like a S figure, over and over.

They are so on. I can not believe that in my mind the 89 tour has been delegated to one of the weaker ones. Must have a lot to do with Mick's hair. They come out with a lot to prove; like 'We're back!" Keith was by far the better guitarist. On lead and rhythm. And the main factor - Bill Wyman. he brings that same bounce that he had in 81/82. Jagger sings so hard.
I keep having to post - those Musicman guitars sure got a work out in those years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-02 14:43 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 2, 2018 14:47

Am the only one who think this gig sucks? grinning smiley
I've had on the "Mixed Emotions" Jap CD and it was nowhere near as good as the PPV.

Date: February 2, 2018 20:56

Monsoon Ragoon

My understanding is that this is the first time we are seeing the complete video. Have you compared this video mentioned here to what was circulating before? My friend Dan who sent me this link said it was "complete." Dan is the man. He's my go-to for what's music and video that is circulating from the Rolling Stones. Did we get the same old stuff from the 1990's or do we have something more?

Los Angeles 1989

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 2, 2018 21:23

exilestones
Monsoon Ragoon

My understanding is that this is the first time we are seeing the complete video. Have you compared this video mentioned here to what was circulating before? My friend Dan who sent me this link said it was "complete." Dan is the man. He's my go-to for what's music and video that is circulating from the Rolling Stones. Did we get the same old stuff from the 1990's or do we have something more?

Los Angeles 1989

I have the show on DVD (digipak "Steel Wheels Tour Los Angeles California 1989", 25 tracks) and wasn't it always complete? I'm pretty sure it was. Maybe the picture quality is improved now. Someday I will check it out.

Date: February 2, 2018 22:14

Monsoon Ragoon

I have the show on DVD (digipak "Steel Wheels Tour Los Angeles California 1989", 25 tracks) and wasn't it always complete? I'm pretty sure it was. Maybe the picture quality is improved now. Someday I will check it out.

I have no idea what was out before. Thanks for checking it out.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 3, 2018 00:37

The first time I saw the Stones...pretty sure I have it on DVD somewhere and thought it was complete, but I would have to check.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 3, 2018 06:06

Worst hair ever for Mick. Wow.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 3, 2018 06:11

GasLightStreet
Worst hair ever for Mick. Wow.
He kinda looked like Gozer from Ghostbusters when it adapted a female form:

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: February 3, 2018 07:02

I haven't watched 1989 clips for awhile.

Was their 1989 look more "80s" than their 1981 look? Arrgghh

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 3, 2018 07:10

Mr. Jimi
I haven't watched 1989 clips for awhile.

Was their 1989 look more "80s" than their 1981 look? Arrgghh
Well 1981 style and 1989 style are totally different.

The more photos I see of the Stones from the Steel Wheels tour, the more cringe-worthy they look as time passes. Keith and Charlie are the only ones who look comfortable in their stage clothes.

In contrast, only 5 years later, they all look relatively cool and timeless in their Voodoo Lounge garb.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: February 3, 2018 19:43

I thought I'd never say this, but this is just awesome! Why: the raw mix from the soundboard (or what ever) pushes Keith's guitar up front and we get the pleasure of hearing the rawness and pure power in contrary to the usual mix. This is the way Keith should be placed in the musical lanscape. I just wish the rest of the mix also was excellent. Should have been more bass etc. But hey, it's great to hear how they still could really kick some ass this late in the game. Cool set list as wellthumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 3, 2018 21:36

I was there the previous night, October 18th, which was opening night. It was the infamous night Axl Rose nearly broke up Guns and Roses on stage. I'll watch this to see if the Stones were better than the first night. To be honest they absolutely creaked the first night. Guns and Roses blew them off the stage. I went closing night, the following Sunday, and the Stones blew THEM off the stage. The end of the Golden Age Stones. Sigh.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 4, 2018 02:53

Yep I was there that first night. I'm still glad I went but it obvious to me it wasn't a great Stones night for various reasons;
it was far from a catastrophe or anything though...
G&R were the Louder, more clear, certainly more furious and powerful that first night.
This show here, (really enjoying this; they are really working out hard and it's working beautifully)....
....the twenty minutes or so I've seen thus far are fantastic!
Thank You for posting it!

I get sort of used to just kinda dismissing this period of Live Stones, as the decades wear on.
I had a lot of resistance to the "Vegas Stones" for the longest time...
...but looking back restrospectively, at least in what I've seen of this show so far,
well it's super-refreshing to see a real work-out; they are going for it.
Yes hahhaaaaa, "Worst Hair-cut Ever" suggestion probably right on target.
Some 'stylist' forgot scissors and went mad with a razor apparently...
...nice Clark Kent kinda clean square cut in the back and on the lower sides...
very nice Mick!! (eye rolling smiley)

It will always evoke slight melancholia in a way, cause this was it for Bill, and I particuarly, like millions, adored him;
really appreciated who he was as an original Stone,
what he had accomplished inside this great music and on dozens of tours for decades and decades...

...I first saw him play live in person when I was not yet 21, and had bought his records since I was 12...
In '89 I was just a baby of 38, and had never seen them on the West Coast before,
tho I saw shows in D.C. and most NYC starting '72 and then into the 70's,
so I had seen them with both Taylor and Ron but never without Bill,
and this was good-bye...I don't think I knew it for sure, hadn't realized it deeply; or it hadn't sunk totally in at the time,
but there had been scuttle-but about it for a long time and it did cross my mind at the time.

Golly I can't imagine myself at 38 now; but do remember that night very clearly.
The Stones were in town and it's always big news when that happens.
All the radio stations churning out Stoneage...it was wonderful...
Sure glad this was posted, now I see a really GOOD show from this tour,
and it's renewed my interest in this tour and this last period with Wyman.

Whoa from this perspective being older than dirt now;
well it makes this show and this period of Rolling Stones all the more precious to me....
Here's Mick rockin' his mid 40's and we see in retro=spect, just warming up a little for the next quarter-century or so...
/...the band is playing really, really well here...
it's ON. A gooed vintage, A fine wine. A good year. A fine Autumn gift in 1989.
The Rolling Stones come to town 25 years after their first shows in America, fill up the hugest stadium in one of the World's biggest megalopolis',
for four shows, and a quick Ten Million Buckaroonies.
This seems like a reall good shit-hot show so far, thanks for this!!

I get that lump in my throat, always strikes me hard when I see FIVE Rolling Stones taking that last low bow at the end of a Concert.
Four of them originals; (and Bill seems to
have had real good relations with Ron too)...
...but to see those last bows as the Bassman bows out, always strikes me hard...
...every step a Legacy moment & experience. This is fine stuff.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-04 04:17 by hopkins.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 4, 2018 05:21

I have seen many Stones shows since the 1970's and aside from the Mick hairstyle (his absolute worst) in 1989, I thought the Stones playing on the Steel Wheels tour was pretty awesome. Compared to other tours I had seen, just about every song in the set-list was executed almost perfectly. I know many people have dissed this tour for what they perceive as the beginning of the "Vegas Years," but I was really impressed by their professionalism, tightness and energy-which in my opinion would gradually erode on subsequent tours (although many people prefer Voodoo Lounge, I didn't think they were as tight as Steel Wheels) .

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 4, 2018 07:37

24FPS
I was there the previous night, October 18th, which was opening night. It was the infamous night Axl Rose nearly broke up Guns and Roses on stage. I'll watch this to see if the Stones were better than the first night. To be honest they absolutely creaked the first night. Guns and Roses blew them off the stage. I went closing night, the following Sunday, and the Stones blew THEM off the stage. The end of the Golden Age Stones. Sigh.

I was there the first night also w/the Axl rant (I mistakenly though it was this night of this video in a different thread).
Can't say I agree that Guns and Roses blew them off the stage, and that's not because I'm sensitive and/or defending the Stones. I had seen them a year or so earlier opening for Aerosmith and they were truly amazing - loud, obnoxious, and out of control - I think it was either the smallish Pacific or Irvine Ampitheater. They were still hungry and rising to the top, and they definitely blew Aerosmith away. But by the the time they opened for the Stones, seems fame had already gone to their heads - I thought they sucked as much as the other opener Living Color. Anyhow, had lousy seats for that show, and that might have tainted everything - even the Stones seemed a bit sterile.

*Looking at Steel Wheels tour stats, I didn't realize the Stones played four nights at the mammoth Coliseum!

Date: February 4, 2018 09:56

Hairball
24FPS

I was there the first night also w/the Axl rant (I mistakenly though it was this night of this video in a different thread).
Can't say I agree that Guns and Roses blew them off the stage, and that's not because I'm sensitive and/or defending the Stones. I had seen them a year or so earlier opening for Aerosmith and they were truly amazing - loud, obnoxious, and out of control - I think it was either the smallish Pacific or Irvine Ampitheater. They were still hungry and rising to the top, and they definitely blew Aerosmith away. But by the the time they opened for the Stones, seems fame had already gone to their heads - I thought they sucked as much as the other opener Living Color. Anyhow, had lousy seats for that show, and that might have tainted everything - even the Stones seemed a bit sterile.

*Looking at Steel Wheels tour stats, I didn't realize the Stones played four nights at the mammoth Coliseum!

I'd forgotten about Living Color. IMO one of the worst bands I have ever seen. But one thing that certainly didn't help their case was that there sound was horrible; total mud. Then the Stones came on, and all of the sudden the PA was crystal clear, LOL

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 4, 2018 10:40

Hairball
by the the time they opened for the Stones, seems fame had already gone to their heads - I thought they sucked

The main factor in their "suckness" is they hadn't played a proper gig in 10 months. For a band that played constantly since 1986 that was probably a big blow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2028
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home