Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Playing Music/Movies
Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: February 1, 2018 08:46

This may be classed as a rant which I do not do. But, I go to play some music on my iPod tonight and the latest Apple update has me wanting to log into “this and that” until I finally find my music library again without connecting into any other stuff. I bought a DVD player last week which I haven’t opened up yet and I am thinking that I should maybe get an exchange and upgrade to an Oppo - I watched the YouTube vid on the thing. Didn’t understand a thing. Sounds great but...........give me the good old days of an amp, bass, treble, and two speakers. Technology is so befuddling these days. But I may go for the Oppo! Has anyone had experience with Oppo product?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 08:57 by KingmanBarstow.

Re: OT: Playing Music/Movies
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2018 09:02

.... Yeah I have an Oppo somewhere around here but don't use it anymore
... was okay for DVDs .. was capable of playing SACDs but didn't sound real good ....

But yeah good pre-amp / amp set up drivin' 12" speakers and ya cant go wrong ....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 1, 2018 09:07

Cheers for that advice Rockman, I’ve been wondering whether the expense is worth it. Sound wise for vinyl/CDs I am already covered. Still got my old sh#t which I love.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 1, 2018 12:10

Rockman

.... Yeah I have an Oppo somewhere around here but don't use it anymore ... was okay for DVDs .. was capable of playing SACDs but didn't sound real good ....

Germany's HiFi-Magazine 'Stereo' (No. 2-2014) gave Oppo the rating:

BDP-103EU (€700):

Sound-Quality CD: 50 out ouf 100
Sound-Quality SACD: 65 out of 100
Sound-Quality Blu-ray: 75 out of 100

BDP-105EU (€1400):

Sound-Quality CD: 66 out ouf 100
Sound-Quality SACD: 81 out of 100
Sound-Quality Blu-ray: 95 out of 100

In the same Test they gave the Norwegian Electrocompaniet EMP-3 (€2850) the rating:

Sound-Quality CD: 74 out ouf 100
Sound-Quality SACD: 84 out of 100
Sound-Quality Blu-ray: 100 out of 100

For Blu-ray only Sound-Quality 'Stereo' rated an Philips BDP-5500 (€150) 62 out of 100, an LG BP620 (€160) 60 out of 100 and an Samsung BD-F7500 (€300) also 60 out of 100.

The best devices in regard of Blu-ray Sound-Quality came from Denon/Marantz (A1/9004) in the €5000-Class with an 100 out of 100 rating - while the Marantz 9004 got 83 out of 100 for SACD Sound-Quality.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2018 13:09

Yeah ran an Electrocompaniet EMC-1 for years....
had ta almost mortgage home ta buy it but beautiful machine ...

Still have but not main player anymore .......

ROCKMAN

Date: February 1, 2018 22:51

Thanks all. Yikes, 5000 Euros!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 3, 2018 14:35

Bad News from Oppo Digital:

"OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products, existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital.

From now on, OPPO Digital will focus our main effort on organizing and ensuring long term support for the existing generation of products. As such, we will not have the resources to develop and release new generations of products."

2nd April 2018 - [Oppodigital.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 3, 2018 15:35

Just bought an old school Yamaha amp and connected to a CD player and some big ass Onkyo speakers. Disco level volume, but clean and clear. All I need.

Date: April 3, 2018 15:44

For a "universal" disc player in a reasonable price range for most people (the same general price range as Oppo) , I would recommend the Cambridge CXUHD or the Cambridge CXU.

Cambridge CXUHD : * [www.cambridgeaudio.com] *

Cambridge CXU : * [www.cambridgeaudio.com] *

The main differences being that the CXU has multi-channel ANALOG audio output jacks and the CXUHD can play UltraHD Blu-ray Discs.

They are really not difficult to operate. The trick is to set them up properly to benefit from Hi-Resolution files and discs which means your whole chain of equipment has to be solid .... speakers obviously but,also your pre-amplifier / processor + amplifier combination (and TV / Monitor / Projector for video).

Once set-up the right way,you just play the discs ...... or you can play files from an attached hard drive or USB drive.

Maybe not as good as separate dedicated components worth $5,000 ~ for each individual task but,as good as it gets for a sub-$1,000 "jack of all trades".

I hope that Cambridge continues to produce these universal disc players. ..... They share some components with the Oppo disc players.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home