Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Paul Simon - Homeward Bound
Posted by: oxegen ()
Date: March 13, 2018 03:25

I am heading to Manchester, Dublin (flat seating) and London (Diamond Circle).

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 13, 2018 03:42

bye bye johnny
Today Paul Simon announced the final dates of Homeward Bound - The Farewell Tour, visiting the east coast and culminating with four shows in the New York City area. For itinerary, please visit paulsimon.com

The last show in NYC is listed as TBA
Interesting.. two shows at MSG and a finale to be announced later.

My bet is Central Park (with perhaps a special guest?).
Either way it would be great to attend one of the NYC shows.. great time of year to visit. Think I'll let the final shows details emerge before I plan though.

DATE CITY VENUE ON SALE (All Times Local)
September 15 Newark, NJ Prudential Center
September 17 Pittsburgh, PA PPG Paints Arena
September 20 New York, NY Madison Square Garden
September 21 New York, NY Madison Square Garden
September 22 New York, NY TBA TBA

Re: OT -Paul Simon's Last Show(?) in London
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 13, 2018 16:08

Artie as Special guest?
Doubt it somehow.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 13, 2018 16:57

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 17:00 by tatters.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 13, 2018 17:00

MisterDDDD

Either way it would be great to attend one of the NYC shows.. great time of year to visit. Think I'll let the final shows details emerge before I plan though.

That's my guess as well. I took the train in from Long Island for the '81 S&G show, but perversely watched Paul's '91 Central Park concert on HBO even though I was living on the upper east side at the time and could have walked to the park from my apartment. I'm in Michigan (seems like a dream to me) now, but would definitely consider making the trip to NYC if he plays the park and it's definitely going to be his last show and Artie is definitely going to join him for a few songs.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 13, 2018 19:07

tatters
MisterDDDD

That's my guess as well. I took the train in from Long Island for the '81 S&G show, but perversely watched Paul's '91 Central Park concert on HBO even though I was living on the upper east side at the time and could have walked to the park from my apartment. I'm in Michigan (seems like a dream to me) now, but would definitely consider making the trip to NYC if he plays the park and it's definitely going to be his last show and Artie is definitely going to join him for a few songs.

Say it ain't so! Wanted to be the in '91 so bad. He says it's not his last show but his last tour and that he anticipates doing the occasional one-off. Nothing said as to whether he'll continue to write/record.

Date: March 13, 2018 19:40

Send It To me
tatters
MisterDDDD

Say it ain't so! Wanted to be the in '91 so bad. He says it's not his last show but his last tour and that he anticipates doing the occasional one-off. Nothing said as to whether he'll continue to write/record.

I've read somewhere that he plans to continue to write and record.
Unlike Mick and Keith he has continued to release new material(albeit at a slower pace than in the 60's) over the years. Quality still very good, though less commercial.
An enduring talent.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 13, 2018 20:27

jlowe
Send It To me
tatters
MisterDDDD

I've read somewhere that he plans to continue to write and record.
Unlike Mick and Keith he has continued to release new material(albeit at a slower pace than in the 60's) over the years. Quality still very good, though less commercial.
An enduring talent.

Like Dylan and Neil Young - one of the all time legends who keep putting their shoulder to the wheel whether touring and/or recording (though Dylan and Neil are much more productive).
I've never seen Paul, but have tickets for the opening Hollywood Bowl show in May - he's nearly sold out three of them so far. Looking forward to this! thumbs up

ot: Paul Simon Farewell Tour
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 17, 2018 21:19

Saw him last night at Rogers Arena in Vancouver on his first show of the Homeward Bound farewell tour. Concert was pretty much sold out and he joked that he called it his final tour just so he could raise ticket prices!
I asked one of the ushers what time the show went to. He said starts at 8:10pm and ends at 10:45pm. Ended up starting around 8:20pm and ending 10:40pm so about 15 minutes less.
I'm not a huge Paul Simon fan, seen him once before around 1990 or so. If this wasn't announced as his final tour I probably wouldn't have gone to see it. Started out with America then 50 Ways. Other songs I recognized included Me and Julio, Diamonds on the Soles, Homeward Bound, Call Me Al, Graceland, The Boxer, Still Crazy, Late In The Evening,Mrs. Robinson.
Played a couple songs that he said he's never played before. Rene and Georgette Magritte with their Dog After the War which he explained how he came up with the title and Can't Run But off of Rhythm of the Saints.
Final song was just him alone doing Sounds of Silence. Overall, not a bad show. Didn't acknowledge Art Garfunkel at all in any of the pics on the giant screen. As a casual fan I would have preferred he play all greatest hits since it's his final tour. Was hoping he'd play Cecilia, Slip Sliding Away and Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Re: ot: Paul Simon Farewell Tour
Date: May 17, 2018 22:33

Had to sell my tickets for next weeks opening Hollywood Bowl show - priorities, and Paul Simon isn't really one of them right now...looks like I'll never see him!

Date: May 17, 2018 22:58

Hairball
Had to sell my tickets for next weeks opening Hollywood Bowl show - priorities, and Paul Simon isn't really one of them right now...looks like I'll never see him!

Maybe he'll do a reunion tour with Garfunkel next year smiling smiley

Date: May 17, 2018 23:12

DGA35
Hairball

Maybe he'll do a reunion tour with Garfunkel next year smiling smiley

By the way, thanks for the review ...thumbs up...sound like I didn't miss much.
Like you a casual fan of Paul Simon, but no doubt he has so many great tunes with and without Garfunkel...but no Feelin' Groovy?

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 17, 2018 23:17

I was there last night as well. Paul was in good form, with a solid band, featuring the bass player from 'Graceland' album, which got a decent shake, as did 'Rhythm of the Saints' - which was fine by me.
A few deep and never-before-played cuts, along with a sparse smattering of S&G hits were among the setlist. I'm only a casual fan, and had little expectations, although 'Slip Sliding Away' would've been nice, as would a deeper S&G cut like 'The Only Living Boy in New York' (which he's played on previous tours).
For night one, it was loose and easy. I'm sure the band will tighten up as things progress, and maybe he'll tweak the setlist a little.

Date: May 17, 2018 23:24

I'm a big Simon fan. Was expecting a more interesting setlist. Looked like a normal show from past couple of years for the most part. Some of the lesser known songs are ones he's played A LOT over recent years - That Was Your Mother, Spirit Voices. Not sure why he said he's never played "Can't Run But" before - he did it about 40 times in 1999 when touring with Bob Dylan. His singing voice is not holding up as well as Mick's, I'm afraid, which may be why he didn't attempt Bridge Over Troubled Water. He tried to sing it at the DNC in 2016 and it didn't go well. I understand he and Art hate each other now, but seems stingy to not even feature him in one of many old photos, jeez.

Date: May 18, 2018 00:02

Quite timely, there is a new biography about to be released. The first one to be authorised by PS.
Like Mick, he says he won't be writing his OWN story.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 18, 2018 00:17

I'm seeing him next month, never seen him before, so setlist sounds like it may be tailor-made for me (especially no Bridge Over Troubled Water, apologies to everyone who loves it).

Date: May 18, 2018 01:12

Aquamarine
I'm seeing him next month, never seen him before, so setlist sounds like it may be tailor-made for me (especially no Bridge Over Troubled Water, apologies to everyone who loves it).

Have fun! His band is always really tight.

Posted by: maxx ()
Date: May 18, 2018 03:16

Aquamarine

Ha at last someone else who does not love this song , infact I never really liked anything he did with Art , much prefer his solo stuff.

Saw him a few years ago, went with an open mind and hart and He and his multi talented band blew me away.

I hope you enjoy your concert as much as I did.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 18, 2018 06:00

they just showed paul enjoying the seattle mariners/detroit tigers baseball game with ben gibbard (death cab for cutie) on the game broadcast.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2018 16:23

I was also at that 1990 show DG...I wonder how many concerts we've both been at through the years?

Date: May 18, 2018 21:14

On opening night, Paul did 25 songs, of which 17 could be found on a greatest hits album somewhere, 7 were relatively obscure if you're not a superfan, and 1 was a cover. If only the Stones could do that ratio!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 21:15 by Send It To me.

Re: OT: Paul Simon Homeward Bound Tour
Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 19, 2018 06:52

Just picked up the Robert Hilburn biography, looking forward to it...

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 21, 2018 22:40

Paul Simon Penalizes Himself By Dusting Off Song He Loathes In Portland

May 21, 2018
By Scott Bernstein

Iconic singer-songwriter Paul Simon is currently in the middle of Homeward Bound – The Farewell Tour and brought the run to the Moda Center in Portland, Oregon this past Saturday night. While Simon and his band have kept to a similar script each night, a memory lapse in Portland led to a rare live version of a song Paul “loathes.”

Paul Simon was working through “The Cool, Cool River” off 1990’s The Rhythm Of The Saints in Portland, when he forgot the lyrics. Simon asked his band, “Anybody know the words?” He eventually recovered and finished the song. “Because I made a mistake and forgot the lyrics to that song, I’m going to penalize myself,” Simon told the crowd before asking a tech for an acoustic guitar. “I’m going to sing one of my songs that I loathe,” Paul continued.

The Newark, New Jersey native told his band, “If you want to play you can. if you don’t want to play you don’t have to play this is totally …” Paul Simon added, “This will teach me” and “I just hate this song” before treating the crowd to an abbreviated version of “The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin’ Groovy)” off Simon & Garfunkel’s 1966 album Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme. Members of the band chimed in at various points of the clearly unrehearsed effort. While Paul had performed “The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin’ Groovy)” at many Simon & Garfunkel concerts, the last version documented on Setlist.FM at one of his solo shows took place in 1974.

[www.jambase.com]

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 22, 2018 08:07

treaclefingers
I was also at that 1990 show DG...I wonder how many concerts we've both been at through the years?

This will be my first time seeing Paul Simon live. I took a look at the set list from Portland, and although it may disappoint those who have seen him recently (as it apparently doesn’t differ much from his recent shows), it looks like a good selection to me. Looks like 7 S&G hits (mostly at the end of the show), 5 early solo hits, and a whopping 9 tracks from Graceland/Rhythm of the Saints. Once I refamiliarize myself with the Graceland and Rhythm if the Saints albums, both of which I enjoyed upon release, but have not listened to in 25+ years, I should be good to go. I’m looking forward to it.

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: May 31, 2018 01:30

My very strong expectation is that the Sept. 22 concert will be in Central Park, but that it won't be another large-scale free concert of the sort he and others have done in the past. Those just don't happen anymore. Nor will it be a solo concert, most likely.

Rather, I expect that his show will be part of the multi-artist Global Citizen Festival that happens every year in the park on roughly that Saturday, and which like his tour is presented by AEG.* The festival is free, but ticketed and capped at 60,000 or below, and entry is limited to those who demonstrably perform certain generally-social-media-based lobbying actions in connection with Global Citizen's efforts to promote certain global policy goals, in particular during the annual United Nations General Assembly session that occurs around the same time as the concert.

Given the social-media (and youth policy) orientation, the festival audience skews young, and so increasingly do the artists. Which makes Simon something of an odd fit and not necessarily the headliner of the festival, but rather someone who might get a possibly-brief set earlier in the day or evening. Which may not comport with his stature or self-perception, but his options for reprising a park appearance at this point are likely limited by the city in ways they might not have been in earlier generations.

*AEG has also presented the Stones in America since the end of the Cohl era, which is why they have not returned to MSG in that time and may not do so in the future, unless and until such time as Irv Azoff secures them away for what may be final shows at MSG, the Forum, and perhaps other venue members of his Oak View Group. That may well happen eventually, but on the other hand his hard bargaining style may sufficiently match that of the Stones that they satisfy themselves elsewhere.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-31 01:34 by SecondSet.

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: May 31, 2018 01:31

It should also be noted [as I see was acknowledged on the prior page] that Simon has made clear that these are not in fact his last concerts, only his last tour. He'll likely continue to perform one-offs on occasion, especially in New York and perhaps elsewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-31 01:36 by SecondSet.

Date: May 31, 2018 03:15

treaclefingers

Probably several throughout the years in Vancouver! Saw both 89 and 94 Stones shows as well as 98 and 06. Richards 93 Orpheum which was awesome! McCartney, Springsteen, Elton/Billy Joel, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Van Halen, etc.
Will be getting Mellencamp tickets for Abbotsford tomorrow! I like shows in Abbotsford, not so far a drive as going to downtown Vancouver.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 7, 2018 19:26

I saw the show in Chicago last night. It was excellent, better than I expected.

Paul was in great voice. He played a third hits at the beginning, starting with America, a third new and rarities in the middle, and a final third of hits at the end, ending with American Tune and Sounds of Silence.

The highlights for me were Rene and Georgette Magritte with Their Dog after the War, which was stunning with a string trio and winds, and American Tune, a Nixon-era song that once again captures the national mood.

He was very emotional at the end. He’s going out on top, still a vibrant artist. Go if you get the chance.

I wish certain contemporaries would be willing to trust their audience enough to put on such a show.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 7, 2018 20:37

I haven't done the tour, but have been listening a lot to Paul Simon; that song of his, Duncan, is amazingly vivid.

Posted by: Shine A Light ()
Date: June 7, 2018 20:52

We went to see Paul Simon last Saturday night in Houston. We were blown away by Paul and his band.

He played 2 hours and 20 minutes. I especially liked, Rene and Georgette Magritte with Their Dog after the War. He was very emotional with some of the songs. Overall a fantastic concert,

We have tickets to see him again at Madison Square Garden in September.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1291
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home