Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Peter Tosh/Mick Jagger
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: January 30, 2018 19:33

When Peter Tosh opened for the Stones in 1978 did Mick Jagger ever join him to sing Don't Look Back? I could have sworn that many years ago I had a bootleg of them singing it together at one of those shows but I have not seen anything about it in so long I am starting to think I might be wrong.

Re: Peter Tosh/Mick Jagger
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 30, 2018 19:44

Deja vu as I think this was brought up not long ago:

Via wiki:

The Rolling Stones US Tour 1978

"One opening act was Peter Tosh, who was sometimes joined by Mick Jagger for their duet "Don't Look Back"'.

Don't know how accurate this is being that it's wiki, but I think it was confirmed in a previous thread.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 30, 2018 19:53

stanlove
When Peter Tosh opened for the Stones in 1978 did Mick Jagger ever join him to sing Don't Look Back? I could have sworn that many years ago I had a bootleg of them singing it together at one of those shows but I have not seen anything about it in so long I am starting to think I might be wrong.

Yeah. Several times. www.nzentgraf.de

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 30, 2018 19:55

6.19.78 - Palladium, NYC

Date: January 30, 2018 19:59

Oakland, Houston, St Louis, St. Paul, Myrtle Beach, Hampton, NYC

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: January 30, 2018 20:42

Also on SNL.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 30, 2018 21:22

Palace Revolution 2000

...and Cleveland. It was the highlight of an otherwise dreary day. Rain, bad acid, angry bikers and arguably the worst set the Stones ever delivered in their established career. Peter was not well received by the crowd nor was KANSAS (FFS) or the tight-rope act.

Date: January 31, 2018 02:24

rbk
Palace Revolution 2000

...and Cleveland. It was the highlight of an otherwise dreary day. Rain, bad acid, angry bikers and arguably the worst set the Stones ever delivered in their established career. Peter was not well received by the crowd nor was KANSAS (FFS) or the tight-rope act.

LOL, you are right. I saw many of those East Coast shows. And I was sure I had caught the Tosh/Jagger thing twice. One I know for sure was at the Palladium in NYC. And I thought that Greensboro was the other time. But I checked before posting earlier, and that was not the case.
Cleveland was a weird show. Back then I was so excited about seeing them and running around that it was all great, but even I knew that Cleveland was under par. In 78 IMO it was the opening acts that dragged on and on.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 31, 2018 04:34

smileys with beer " ...and Cleveland. It was the highlight of an otherwise dreary day. Rain, bad acid, angry bikers and arguably the worst set the Stones ever delivered in their established career. Peter was not well received by the crowd nor was KANSAS (FFS) or the tight-rope act."

I am always happy when others talk about this show in Cleveland exactly as I do. I don't know why, but there is a comfort in the numbers amongst even we fanatics that this show was the most shambolic and awful events that I have ever paid for, and every point mentioned, including the bad acid, is still vividly remembered.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 31, 2018 06:33

kahoosier
smileys with beer " ...and Cleveland. It was the highlight of an otherwise dreary day. Rain, bad acid, angry bikers and arguably the worst set the Stones ever delivered in their established career. Peter was not well received by the crowd nor was KANSAS (FFS) or the tight-rope act."

I am always happy when others talk about this show in Cleveland exactly as I do. I don't know why, but there is a comfort in the numbers amongst even we fanatics that this show was the most shambolic and awful events that I have ever paid for, and every point mentioned, including the bad acid, is still vividly remembered.

Well, I was listening to the second part of the boot of this not too long ago, and it didn't sound too bad, recorded from 40 yards away. The Some Girls part I got years ago, and it sounded like Mick wasn't into it. But the other tunes sounded okay. What was it that was so bad? Funny, there's few photos of this gig that I can find online (just like Boulder and Chicago and Buffalo. Odd).

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 31, 2018 07:42

[www.youtube.com]

Walk & Don t Look Back - Peter Tosh & Mick Jagger

Date: January 31, 2018 11:07

tomk
kahoosier

Well, I was listening to the second part of the boot of this not too long ago, and it didn't sound too bad, recorded from 40 yards away. The Some Girls part I got years ago, and it sounded like Mick wasn't into it. But the other tunes sounded okay. What was it that was so bad? Funny, there's few photos of this gig that I can find online (just like Boulder and Chicago and Buffalo. Odd).

I have since wondered about this too. If it was colored more through my own experience, or if they were not very good. I was wiped out by then; been awake a long time, and had taken a lot of drugs. I also knew it was to be the last of the shows around NYC, because I knew I wasn't going to make Buffalo. I think it was the rain that bugged us, the audience. This gig more than anything reminded me of the first show in Philly. Sleeping outside the venue, crammed in the grass for hours and hours, the rain, Tosh and freakin Kansas.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 31, 2018 11:50

..... that's entertainment .... that's entertainment ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: January 31, 2018 16:16

I grew up down the block from the Palladium (and remember the Stones appearance on SNL that week very well), but unfortunately as an 11 year old, trying to go to the show was just not on my mind...What a shame!

Date: January 31, 2018 16:20

exilestones
[www.youtube.com]

Walk & Don t Look Back - Peter Tosh & Mick Jagger

Studio version?

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 31, 2018 16:28

kahoosier

....I forgot to mention Jagger's voice was shot, just a hoarse croak. In tandem with his garish eyeliner, red cap and that great big tongue/mouth scrim it was like a glimpse at Dante's inferno. Just all around unnerving.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 31, 2018 21:37

Don't Look Back was quite a hit in Germany too. And so Peter Tosh was in a tv show performing it. The MC introduced him by saying that he is sorry that Mick Jagger couldn't come.
Ok, fine.
So Tosh plays and no Jagger can be heard - but the female backing vocalists could be! Strangely, there were no women on stage...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home