Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Grammy's Chuck Berry Tribute....
Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: January 30, 2018 02:22

Did anyone catch it? Not for anything...but the Grammy tribute to Chuck Berry was disgustingly lame...borderline pathetic...and I don't blame Gary Clark. The look on his face said it all. He knew.
They should have just played the Michael J. Fox scene from 'Back to the Future'...
"I g-guess you guys aren't ready for that yet. But your kids are gonna love it."

Re: Grammy's Chuck Berry Tribute....
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 30, 2018 03:04

It was pretty short.

Jon Batiste ain't yer cup, eh?

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: January 30, 2018 03:35

Nah...he's alright...I just thought the Grammy folks could have planned a better tribute...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 30, 2018 04:02

Unfortunately I missed it last night, but maybe that's a good thing.
While Gary Clark Jr., is a decent guitar player/performer (I saw him open for the Stones once), never thought there was much substance with him.

Just found the video w/CBII in the audeince.

Gary Clark Jr and Jon Batiste - Tribute to Chuch Berry and Fats Domino | Grammy Awards 2018

Overall not too bad, but maybe a bit lackadaisical...actually might have been the highlight of the entire show amidst all the pop and rap performers.
John Batiste plays some great piano, but Gary Clarke Jr. seems to overshred the solo on Maybeline - maybe to compensate for the overall awkwardness of the tribute.
Too short of a tribute, they should have been given at least five minutes in honor of those two giant legends!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 04:04 by Hairball.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 30, 2018 08:12

That wasn't that bad. There were a lot worse music performances during the show.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 30, 2018 08:36

The bottom line is that the Grammy telecast primarily caters to youth culture, and that AIN'T those of us on this board for the most part.

Because of that, ANY tribute is a plus at this point.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 30, 2018 08:48

The Grammy's was an awful mess. Music and liberal politics are a bad mix.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 30, 2018 09:44

Midnight Toker
The Grammy's was an awful mess. Music and liberal politics are a bad mix.

perhaps just saying music and 'politics' are a bad mix would give your sentence more gravitas instead of highlighting the obvious which is that music and politics are best not mixed lest we simply forget the music and slap ourselves silly in the politics?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 30, 2018 10:31

Short and sweet. Great to see CBII there!

- Doxa

Date: January 30, 2018 10:54

A wonderful tribute!

Short and sweet, just like the songs were back then. Perfect! thumbs up

I can't believe that someone would complain about this not being good enough. A need for self-promotion? Beats me... confused smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 30, 2018 14:21

I like it; great to see Chuck's son connecting with the music played live. May be he was one of few in the audience.
Chuck and Fats are giants.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 30, 2018 14:36

Doxa
Short and sweet. Great to see CBII there!

- Doxa

Those 2 songs were great and loving. good stuff.
jeroen

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: January 30, 2018 15:36

I gave up on award shows years ago due to how s*** they are. The nauseating back slapping. The constant bull***t Leftie/Liberal politics being shoved in your face all the time. The fact that they are very, very dull to watch and go on forever. I could go on and on......

I read about the Grammy's in the paper and I have to admit....... I've never heard of most of the winners. I could not believe that Bruno Mars was the nights big winner, but that's because I got him mixed up with a no-talent performer called Olly Murs. So I thought I'd give this Bruno guy a listen. His number 'That's what I like' won song of the year...... I gave it a listen. A good listen. I played it four times because I did not wont to dismiss it without giving it a chance. So.....I gave it a chance and it's s***! How can that win song of the year?

Then I watched the video of the year winner. A song by someone called Kendrick Lamar..... After hearing N**** this, and ass that, and pussy this, and bitch that...... I decided to give it a miss.

Awful.....

We have gone from Chuck Berry to this^^^^. Sad times for music I'm afraid......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 15:38 by strat72.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 30, 2018 18:05

Are they still the Grammy awards ? or have they become the Rap Artist Awards?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 30, 2018 18:59

strat72
Then I watched the video of the year winner. A song by someone called Kendrick Lamar..... After hearing N**** this, and ass that, and pussy this, and bitch that...... I decided to give it a miss.

Awful.....

Chuck gave us “My ding—a-ling”.
Mick gave us “Star Star”.

I don’t see how that’s different.

Date: January 30, 2018 19:32

Koen
strat72

Awful.....

Apparently black rappers are held to a different standard.

I find it amazing that older Stones fans have gotten as stodgy as their parents used to be towards rock'n'roll in the '60s.

If you're a 50 year old white guy from the suburbs, chances are Kendrick Lamar won't resonate. He's not supposed to, just the Stones weren't supposed to resonate with your parents in the '60s.

Date: January 30, 2018 19:36

Koen
strat72

Awful.....

Koen
strat72

Awful.....

Well it's subjective isn't it...... I like "Star Star" and I could not stand that Lamar song. I love Berry, though I dislike "My ding-a-ling.

If your talking about the bad language itself you cannot compare acts like The Stones using it in the odd song, to rap where words like n****, bitch, whore, ass, pussy are very prevalant throughout that whole genre of music.

You are incorrect, it's very different, and not for me. As I said though, it's subjective. Each to their own.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 19:49 by strat72.

Date: January 30, 2018 19:48

keefriff99
Koen
strat72

Awful.....

I find it amazing that older Stones fans have gotten as stodgy as their parents used to be towards rock'n'roll in the '60s.

If you're a 50 year old white guy from the suburbs, chances are Kendrick Lamar won't resonate. He's not supposed to, just the Stones weren't supposed to resonate with your parents in the '60s.

I like the way you say "black rappers"..... I knew someone would pull the race card, and you have.

It has nothing to do with the colour of his skin, it's just that I think Lamar's song is poor. Again, I know that this is subjective.

James Brown, Areatha Franklin, Otis Redding etc etc. Love them all and many other black artists. So your use of the race card is dim-witted in the extreme.

P.C types are like a deadly cancer on society.

My parents loved The Stones, and they have stood the test of time. I would be surprised if Kendrick Lamar will still be around in fifty years time. That says something...... I could be wrong though.

Date: January 30, 2018 20:04

strat72
keefriff99
Koen
strat72

Awful.....

I like the way you say "black rappers"..... I knew someone would pull the race card, and you have.

It has nothing to do with the colour of his skin, it's just that I think Lamar's song is poor. Again, I know that this is subjective.

James Brown, Areatha Franklin, Otis Redding etc etc. Love them all and many other black artists. So your use of the race card is dim-witted in the extreme.

My parents loved The Stones, and they have stood the test of time. I would be surprised if Kendrick Lamar will still be around in fifty years time. That says something...... I could be wrong though.
I just decided to poke you with a stick since you already got all bitchy about "liberal" politics just like a typical whiny Trump cultist would. Nice job taking the bait.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 30, 2018 20:54

A shame and a Travesty. This guy is THE very building-block, well him and Johnny, of the entire historical genre in so many essential ways. A real travesty.
He should have been referenced with at least a short, clever, creative, fun, historical bio or something. Those guys singing Fats and Chuck were super talented but boxed into a two and half minute medley that should have ebullient, rather than sucking the air out of the room. They are so talented and were working hard and did a great job but that script was shit. Both those pioneers virtually ignored and the entire friggin' INDUSTRY grew out of the seeds these guys sprouted and sweated for. It's bullshit. I'm not thinking they should have taken over the show with it, but damn. They should have brought his wife or CB Jr. up there for half a second. A TWO MINUTE little film to match the two minute medley (time-wise) should have been minimally invested.
All that costumery and whacked fake-drama; and I was just starting to really appreciate some of the very cool recordings that U2 make;
and presto; here comes a super-iconic ultra-meaningless vapid U2 video on a Barge; the camera-work beautiful. All I could think of was I guess I finally have to download World of Warcraft and start sinking Barges to get it out of my sytem. Man, I was trying so hard to warm up to them; they make some great sounding songs....and someone had to go iconograh crazy to make a non-point about something or other. Edge bought a mountaintop in Malibu to destroy. We are def giving the wrong kind of people Residential Permits in this State.\
Anyway, yeh, that Chuck Berry salute was a shame and a disgrace.
I couldn't watch the thing.
I waited til the next day to catch the highlights.
so far they have been low-lights and I think they missed a grand opportunity to involve a lot of the current big pop stars to rock it out or get involved in the tribute somehow....
...it was disrespectful and blind, as does their Milli Vanilli existence often prove year after year.

Talk about inappropriate to bring Politics into certain forums.
Ok, if that's part of your 'art' and lyrics. Please write any and everything
you want to say about anything; I totally support that.
But to haul the failed candidate into Prime Time just to take shots at the guy who beat her, especially when there is a load of stuff in the news having to do with her foundation and other stuff about the election and spy-shit etc....

i mean, that totally turned me off.
Hey, here's the person that lost making fun of the person who won.
I've dropped some of the artists I've supported voraciously over the years,
for dribbling partisan politic crap, staining their work, my relation to it, and anything they might have to offer in the future.
Enough dumb entertainment industry idiots gleefully spraying partisan stupid.
Bruce Springsteen and Kathy Griffin are now the same blank useless walls to me.
It's one thing to savage some person or idea or system og belief in a song;
i'm ALL for that, whichever way it goes.
but if it's speehifying; or reading some lame antagonist partisan shit on national tv, it proves to me they are clones and i don't want their work in my home or ears. I don't trust them anymore.

Date: January 30, 2018 21:13

keefriff99
strat72
keefriff99
Koen
strat72

Awful.....

I just decided to poke you with a stick since you already got all bitchy about "liberal" politics just like a typical whiny Trump cultist would. Nice job taking the bait.

keefriff99
strat72
keefriff99
Koen
strat72

Awful.....

Firstly, I'm English, and therefore not a "bitchy, whiny, Trump cultist" as you suggest. I have in fact voted right and left politcally. The lefty/liberal remark with regards to awards show is 100% accurate. I would be equally critical of any right wing politics at the Grammy's/Oscars, but as we know, this sort of thing at these events invariably comes from the left. That's a fact.......

The reason you said "black rappers" was not to bait me or anyone else. It's because you are a PC idiot who is ready to take offence at any given thing.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 30, 2018 22:54

I can see this thread coming down soon because of political stances by a few.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 31, 2018 00:09

...Ain't that a shame ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 31, 2018 00:25

You're the one to blame

"Yes you are...get it! Waaaaahhhh..."
Robin Zander

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 31, 2018 01:18

mighty stork
I can see this thread coming down soon because of political stances by a few.

Yes sad, makes me look back with fondness at debating the singing skills - or lack thereof - of Miley Cyrus.

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: January 31, 2018 02:51

[www.businessinsider.com]

Meanwhile, back at the Grammy's.

Date: January 31, 2018 04:35

strat72
keefriff99
strat72
keefriff99
Koen
strat72

Awful.....

keefriff99
strat72
keefriff99
Koen
strat72

Awful.....

Firstly, I'm English, and therefore not a "bitchy, whiny, Trump cultist" as you suggest. I have in fact voted right and left politcally. The lefty/liberal remark with regards to awards show is 100% accurate. I would be equally critical of any right wing politics at the Grammy's/Oscars, but as we know, this sort of thing at these events invariably comes from the left. That's a fact.......

The reason you said "black rappers" was not to bait me or anyone else. It's because you are a PC idiot who is ready to take offence at any given thing.

Cool it guys. You're both on the same side.

Date: January 31, 2018 04:56

Jesse1960
[www.businessinsider.com]

Meanwhile, back at the Grammy's.

Nice, thanks Jesse1960.

"To be honest, I thought the Stones would win, but I was secretly rooting for Bibb,
an amazing and forceful 66-year-old bluesman and guitarist whom everyone should get to know better".

How dare he!! He should have secretly been rooting for R.L. Boyce!!!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 31, 2018 13:18

Can't se the point in getting upset about the Grammy awards.

If you enjoy them ...great.

If, like me , you think it's a load of b*llocks ...just ignore them. winking smiley

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: February 1, 2018 02:41

Spud
Can't se the point in getting upset about the Grammy awards.

If you enjoy them ...great.

If, like me , you think it's a load of b*llocks ...just ignore them. winking smiley

Most of the time the Grammys are a waste of 3 hours. Nice to see The Stones win another one though. And for Business Insider to acknowledge what we've known a long time. The Rolling Stones are the best damn band in the history of rock and roll.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home