Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
BMG acquires rights to iconic 60’s TV show Ready Steady Go!
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 28, 2018 20:46

LONDON, 10 January 2018 – BMG has acquired rights to the name. branding and to certain surviving audio visual broadcast footage from iconic Sixties TV pop show Ready Steady Go!

It now plans to explore the legacy of what was arguably the most influential UK music TV show of all time in a series of new audio, video and book releases.

The first fruits of the deal is the 60-track, 3CD set Ready Steady Go – The Sixties. BMG plans to tell the story of the iconic programme in documentary, book and exhibition form as well as through CD and DVD releases based around the world-famous artists that performed on the show.

[www.bmg.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: BMG acquires rights to iconic 60’s TV show Ready Steady Go!
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 28, 2018 20:53

I hope what survives is in good shape. Did artists perform live? All footage must be in black and white, which will probably limit its appeal. And mono of course. Not for me. Bring it on!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 28, 2018 22:17

24FPS
I hope what survives is in good shape. Did artists perform live? All footage must be in black and white, which will probably limit its appeal. And mono of course. Not for me. Bring it on!

It's likely that the stuff is in good condition.

The original owners of it (ATV I think) were going to dump it, and to his immense credit Dave Clark (Five) bought it all.

Artists mimed to start with - although the show went out live almost all the time - and eventually even performances were live.

Dave Clark has issued bits of it before, but by chopping up shows and inserting false (fake news?) bits showing the DC5 as stars absolutely ruined them.

The rare uncut/as shown show is exciting to watch.

I hope that there's a chance to buy entire shows simply to capture the immense energy and excitement the shows generated.

Count me in!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 29, 2018 11:35

Ace!!!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 29, 2018 13:10

I wonder what made Dave Clark finally sell them? Perhaps he needs the money.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 29, 2018 15:09

Silver Dagger

I wouldn't have thought so..he hasn't so far as I am aware any children, but he is in his 70's now so maybe just wants to sell off some of his assets.
Hope we see all available footage released, including The Stones footage, of which there is quite a lot, I believe (if not amongst the wiped ones).

Date: January 30, 2018 00:33

jlowe
Silver Dagger

I wouldn't have thought so..he hasn't so far as I am aware any children, but he is in his 70's now so maybe just wants to sell off some of his assets.
Hope we see all available footage released, including The Stones footage, of which there is quite a lot, I believe (if not amongst the wiped ones).

I agree about making all available footage available!

I'd be an utter fool to assert that the amount was 100%, but I do know that ATV's policy at the time was to retain stuff (don't forget that although it went out live in London, some regional stations didn't play it until later that evening, ergo recordings existed. Indeed my partner bemoans the fact that she was rarely allowed to stay up late to watch it!).

But unlike the BBC (where my brother's first wife's sister was doing the tape deleting) there wasn't a policy to delete.

So, we can be optimistic that we'll get quite a lot.

Again, I repeat that "compilations" are nowhere near as good as seeing the full show as it happened!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 30, 2018 03:02

Silver Dagger

If he needed the money, he'd reissue the catalog for the Dave Clark Five, which has been out of print for some time.

They should release entire shows in DVD box set series -- what a fantastic time capsule,
and a chance to see more of the lovely Cathy McGowan.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 30, 2018 23:56

This is good news. Hope the shows are released in full and there is also performance only DVDs compiled. Very cool.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 31, 2018 00:09

The Jimi Hendrix Experience made thei televised debut on the last episode of Ready Strady Go! in December 1966. How wonderful it would be for these performances to see the light of day. I believe Jimmy Page performed with Jeff Beck and The Yardbirds, too.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: January 31, 2018 17:19

A great save.

The policy was to record over previous shows using tape at the time. I don't know if this happened in the United Kingdom. Johnny Carson lost many of his shows this way. The family started looking for archives and some popped up on a military base. What happened is the shows were archived and replayed to troops later because of the time changes. The family was happy not everything was lost.

Thanks Deltics.

Date: March 20, 2020 15:24

In the UK:
On BBC4 20 March 2020
9pm The Story of Ready Steady Go
10pm The Best of Ready Steady Go

No doubt the usual Stones clips, but maybe worth a watch.
Both listed as 'New' so perhaps not shown before.
Followed by a Roy Orbison documentary!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-20 15:25 by jlowe.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: March 20, 2020 18:49

jlowe
In the UK:
On BBC4 20 March 2020
9pm The Story of Ready Steady Go
10pm The Best of Ready Steady Go

No doubt the usual Stones clips, but maybe worth a watch.
Both listed as 'New' so perhaps not shown before.
Followed by a Roy Orbison documentary!

Anybody out there capable and willing to record and share this for those who don't have direct acces to BBC4? Thanks in advance!

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: March 21, 2020 00:12

Just been watching a clip of PIB. I can remember watching these live programmes,probably my real introduction to RS
A great picture further up the thread too. Back then, I was about 14, everyone told me I looked like Cathy McGowan, I had long dark hair , way down over my eyes, just like in that picture.
Last year, I was prompted by a sister's funeral, to hunt out some family photos. I took one of me (aged around 14) out of an album, and flipped it over, hoping there would be a date on the back. There wasn't, but someone had written 'Cathy McGowan on a good day'! I don't remember who wrote it, don't recognise the writing, the photo had been in the album well over 50 years. It's unlikely I'll ever solve that mystery!
Well I sure don't look like that any more, but then nor does she I guess. Now it's the grandchildren who grump at me for letting my hair cover my eyes, not my mum.
Have to go, Mick's on again. A bit of welcome relief from the world atm

Keep well and stay safe my friends x

Date: March 21, 2020 05:57

ycagwywpmd
Just been watching a clip of PIB. I can remember watching these live programmes,probably my real introduction to RS
A great picture further up the thread too. Back then, I was about 14, everyone told me I looked like Cathy McGowan, I had long dark hair , way down over my eyes, just like in that picture.
Last year, I was prompted by a sister's funeral, to hunt out some family photos. I took one of me (aged around 14) out of an album, and flipped it over, hoping there would be a date on the back. There wasn't, but someone had written 'Cathy McGowan on a good day'! I don't remember who wrote it, don't recognise the writing, the photo had been in the album well over 50 years. It's unlikely I'll ever solve that mystery!
Well I sure don't look like that any more, but then nor does she I guess. Now it's the grandchildren who grump at me for letting my hair cover my eyes, not my mum.

Great. But it's two years later and still no release. At least not here in the states.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: March 21, 2020 08:21

I think Dave Clark has selfishly held onto the RSG archive as well as his own band's output for way too long. Kids today don't care about this stuff and his audience (meaning customers) are aging. About time. Hope he does it right (slim chance) and releases episodes in their entirety. Watching Allen Klein and ABKCO miss every opportunity on archival releases has soured me on these guys. Hope he surprises me!

Date: March 21, 2020 11:35

Spodlumt
I think Dave Clark has selfishly held onto the RSG archive as well as his own band's output for way too long. Kids today don't care about this stuff and his audience (meaning customers) are aging. About time. Hope he does it right (slim chance) and releases episodes in their entirety. Watching Allen Klein and ABKCO miss every opportunity on archival releases has soured me on these guys. Hope he surprises me!

Dave Clark no longer owns RSG, he sold the rights to BMG two years ago.
See my initial post.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: March 22, 2020 07:56

Understood. Was commenting on DC's treatment of the archives before acquired by BMG a few years ago. Hopefully BMG will treat it right with a set of comprehensive releases that he never did.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 22, 2020 21:57

ycagwywpmd

Love that memory of yours.

I was 14 when RSG finished in 1966 and my fave programme on TV from when it started about 1963-64.
Always on early evening on a Friday night .
Cathy McGowan was definitely the Face of RSG.
So many great shows and 'Specials' that I remember with Otis Redding, James Brown and Marvin Gaye amongst others.
The Beatles and The Stones were probably on that show more than any other band.
Great times when a lot of us were just teenagers. smileys with beer

Date: March 22, 2020 22:32

Those were the days when The Stones were happy to appear on the small screen, albeit to plug their latest product.
Shame that unlike a lot of their contempories (except perhaps Dylan and Led Zepp, for different reasons) they pretty much abandoned the format post 1967. Occasional visits to the Old Grey Whistle Test studios but that was pretty much it, in the UK.

Date: March 22, 2020 22:49

jlowe
Those were the days when The Stones were happy to appear on the small screen, albeit to plug their latest product.
Shame that unlike a lot of their contempories (except perhaps Dylan and Led Zepp, for different reasons) they pretty much abandoned the format post 1967. Occasional visits to the Old Grey Whistle Test studios but that was pretty much it, in the UK.

Don't forget the David Frost show. HTW, SFTD, YCAWGWYW!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 22, 2020 23:02

CaptainCorella
jlowe

OK.....Let's say post 1969, then!
But there were /are some good programmes...Jools Holland of course, still running ...and The Tube and The Word, for example.

Date: March 23, 2020 06:27

jlowe
CaptainCorella
jlowe

OK.....Let's say post 1969, then!
But there were /are some good programmes...Jools Holland of course, still running ...and The Tube and The Word, for example.

OGWT was always interesting and had a fair few Stones' slots.

But, I do agree that The Tube (an offspring of RSG!) was outstanding. I'd be home early from work to watch it.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 23, 2020 07:23

So...……………..…...where are these products from RSG?

Date: March 23, 2020 10:04

Not RSG but what's in the same time slot next Friday.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: March 23, 2020 11:07

Well good for them,they’re still promoting our favourite band .... but ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-23 11:09 by midimannz.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: March 23, 2020 11:07

Well good for them, however, they shut down our YouTube channels

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 23, 2020 17:35

Yes Deltics. I spotted that on the TV schedules and will be watching it next Friday night.
Sounds like it may have been on TV before, as it says 'Award winning documentary'.
Never knew much about Eel Pie Island in the 60's, but used to go to a pub very nearby the small bridge across to the island back in the early 70's.

Something good on TV to take our mind off this pandemic which is affecting all of us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-23 17:38 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: March 23, 2020 19:35

Can somebody please upload the RSG docus here for all those who have no access to the BBC?

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: March 24, 2020 14:57

Got this from a friend, the Story of RSG:

[wetransfer.com]

Still looking for the Best of RSG...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home