Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT: Jack White bans phones at gigs for “100% human experience”
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 4, 2018 00:20

Rockman
Maybe Jack should just let all the phones in and ban people ....

Well, he'd better let me in both nights!

Re: OT: Jack White
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 31, 2018 20:26

That is totally cool of him for spreading the rock and roll love to kids in high school! thumbs up

I do see several phones amongst the kids - hopefully he didn't berate them! winking smiley

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 31, 2018 20:56

KevinLocksPerm
steffialicia
Even if you're not bothering anyone else, why can't you just be in the here and now?? Too weird and by the way, imho the videos done by regular folk suck when compared to a professionally made films. Same with photos. I know it's no longer my world but that's just how I feel.

People have always taken photos or shot footage at concerts. Some bands have even appealed for fans to submit such footage or photos. Check out the Beatles Eight Days A Week. Without fans a lot of that film wouldn’t exist.

If I want to take a picture on my phone at a concert it ain’t anyone’s business but my own. We live in 2018 not 1972 and I have no responsibility to comply with some old farts idea of how to behave at a concert.

No, you have no responsibility at all but even "old farts" have the right to their opinion.

Re: OT: Jack White
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 31, 2018 21:24

Hairball
That is totally cool of him for spreading the rock and roll love to kids in high school!

I do see several phones amongst the kids - hopefully he didn't berate them!

No mention of any comments from JW, although there were unsubstantiated reports that detention was extra crowded... ; )

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: June 28, 2018 01:26

Just back from the Apollo marvellous show and the phone free thing worked very well - middle of ten stalls standing and straight out after tapping to release phone from pouch
And was a great thing not looking at a sea of smart phone screens between me and the stage

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 28, 2018 03:35

he should ban his own girly voice.

Date: June 28, 2018 09:49

yorkshirestone
Just back from the Apollo marvellous show and the phone free thing worked very well - middle of ten stalls standing and straight out after tapping to release phone from pouch
And was a great thing not looking at a sea of smart phone screens between me and the stage

Yup, I've been to a bunch of shows on this tour now, and it's amazing the (enjoyable) difference the no-phones policy makes.

OT: No Phones At Shows
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 26, 2018 23:07

‘Play by the rules, man!’ Paul McCartney berates crowd for using phones at Liverpool Cavern Club gig

Charlotte Krol | Jul 26, 2018

"It’s putting me off!"

Paul McCartney told off audience members for using their phones during his return to Liverpool’s Cavern Club on Thursday (July 26).

The legendary ex-Beatles rocker stopped his solo band’s performance of ‘Twenty Flight Rock’ to chide members of the crowd for taking photos and videos.

“You’ve all been told not to take photos,” he said. “You’re taking them, and you’re taking them, and it’s putting me off! So, you know, play by the rules, man!”

After resuming the track – a song by Eddie Cochran that he played to impress John Lennon way back in 1957 – McCartney said: “The phone thing, I went to a Prince concert and he really was serious about that, he wouldn’t start, you know. Put ‘em down! You know what I’m saying?”

As NME’s Dan Stubbs points out in his gig review, the outburst had the “feeling of a parent scalding their children then instantly feeling guilty” but it was a blip in an otherwise “stunning return.”

[www.nme.com]

Re: OT: No Phones At Shows
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 26, 2018 23:13

well i sure understand and totally feel for him in this situation;
and were I a Knight like him; with those Powers straight from the
Royal Family, frankly; I'd have some of these people pay a prrritttyy heavy price if you know what i mean; have someone make a few calls, know what I mean?
but then again; if I were a fan, and i AM, and i got scolded like that,
even if i was REALLY PISSED OFF AT ALL THE IDIOTS WITH PHONES, except the ones periscoping,
I'd kind of make a point out of taking my phone out of my pack just to piss him off; i'd be screaming "Helter Skeltor TURN UP THE BASS FOR MY PHONE JACK!! and think of John.

i know he has a history of playing small shows by surprise; like between his Desert Trip weekend shows most recently.
i would like to see a bit of it, and hear it myseslf; so a lot of contradicting feelings about how this could be handled;
and honestly am often chagrined by folks
enslaved to their little radiating screens, regardless of work, play, other conversations.
I'm calm, friendly and affectionate about it; but also very
determined when I tell friends to get off their computers if they want to talk with me. so i do get it; tho i don't know what to do about it; it's so pervasve.
I've also been similarly guilty of this; and it takes effort to leave all that stuff home; such is the quick utility; and increasing benefits...
and am sure I'll be the same zombie when having to work on the move;
and am able to do so thanks to the tech; but i do increasingly leave my work and home places without electronics for longer and longer periods; and it's
worth the relative inconvenience for me at this point.

i DO enjoy, and very much; the times I've seen small shows in places where
they make courtesy toward the artists and songs a primary concern;
and that not only permeates the clientle, but uplifts the experience.

truth is, i'd really like to see a piece of this footage right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-26 23:34 by hopkins.

Date: July 26, 2018 23:26

After seeing Jack White at the Arroyo Seco Festival last month, I've banned myself from all future shows of his. smiling smiley

*I did like a few tunes - some old White Stripes and Raconteurs material, but for the most part his solo material was not very good at all.

Date: July 27, 2018 00:17

Hairball
After seeing Jack White at the Arroyo Seco Festival last month, I've banned myself from all future shows of his. smiling smiley

*I did like a few tunes - some old White Stripes and Raconteurs material, but for the most part his solo material was not very good at all.

We'll miss ya. A lot of people, including me, love the new songs, though. Been to 8 shows so far, 16 to go.

I think Paul's reaction just underlines how annoying phones are for the performer. It's not just about the audience experience, but the difficulty of an artist engaging when he just sees a sea of screens in front of him.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 27, 2018 00:50

Hairball

I'm sure Jack will be devastated......

Posted by: maxx ()
Date: July 27, 2018 02:16

I am on the fence here.

I seen him in Edinburgh usher hall some years ago NO RECORDING REQUESTED BY J W and I recorded some of it for my own personal enjoyment , I did not block anyone, stood at the back in an appropriate position, wheelchair ramp and rested camera on or around the rails for most of it, sound quality was good and also atmosphere.

Its understandable and commendable that he is taking a stance to change things.
Nothing worse than someone in front of you with a mobile waving it about furiously , you know the footage will be sheet and most likely the sound quality also.

But then I also want footage from the concert I went to not the one before or after, so I will look on the net and see if someone took cool footage.
I also like seeing footage that captures the evening of stuff I could not get to.

I think the best thing they can do is run live footage of the gig say 24 hrs after and let the people who were there view and possibly buy/save parts of or all of it .
We are in a new age, records or LP`s don`t make as much as tickets and merchandise .
So pay per view footage could be the way to go for those of us who cant fly off at the drop of a hat as work , family or funding gets in the way , but we would still like to experience the event.

I am the first to agree its not like being at a live concert but better than nothing.

Imagine if the stones broadcast each show on the net ppv , I`d be prepared to pay a reasonable amount to follow the concerts I could not attend.

Date: July 27, 2018 02:58

Aquamarine
Hairball

We'll miss ya. A lot of people, including me, love the new songs, though. Been to 8 shows so far, 16 to go.

The new tune Connected By Love (which he also played on SNL) was pretty good, and I'm sure a alot people like yourself do enjoy all of his new solo material.
He seems to have built up a cult-like following of diehards, but most of his performance at Arroyo Seco was lackluster at best.

From the L.A. Times:

Jack White

"Basically, there was so little tension at Arroyo Seco Weekend that nothing felt at stake.You could see that most clearly in a ho-hum performance by Jack White.
A few months ago the garage-rock revivalist put out a wacky album of hip-hop experiments, “Boarding House Reach,” which much of his audience seemed to hate.
Given the negative reaction, and White’s typical excellence as a live performer, I was hoping he’d use this show to challenge his fans to reckon with the new music. But that’s not what happened.
When he played stuff from “Boarding House Reach” (albeit minus the record’s manic energy), the crowd applauded politely. And that gave the more conventional oldies he threw in —
“Lazaretto,” “That Black Bat Licorice,” tunes from his days with the White Stripes and the Raconteurs — a sadly conciliatory vibe, as though he were rewarding people for humoring him".

All that said, he's probably better in an arena or theater on his own vs. a massive festival with lots of other better bands, and the fact that you're seeing a total of 24 shows says alot - enjoy the rest of them. thumbs up

strat72
Hairball

Yeah, I can hear him crying and whining about it now...or is that just him singing?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 27, 2018 03:19

Hairball

Dont blame you.

Date: July 27, 2018 04:07

Hairball
Aquamarine
Hairball

The new tune Connected By Love (which he also played on SNL) was pretty good, and I'm sure a alot people like yourself do enjoy all of his new solo material.
He seems to have built up a cult-like following of diehards, but most of his performance at Arroyo Seco was lackluster at best.

From the L.A. Times:

Jack White

"Basically, there was so little tension at Arroyo Seco Weekend that nothing felt at stake.You could see that most clearly in a ho-hum performance by Jack White.
A few months ago the garage-rock revivalist put out a wacky album of hip-hop experiments, “Boarding House Reach,” which much of his audience seemed to hate.
Given the negative reaction, and White’s typical excellence as a live performer, I was hoping he’d use this show to challenge his fans to reckon with the new music. But that’s not what happened.
When he played stuff from “Boarding House Reach” (albeit minus the record’s manic energy), the crowd applauded politely. And that gave the more conventional oldies he threw in —
“Lazaretto,” “That Black Bat Licorice,” tunes from his days with the White Stripes and the Raconteurs — a sadly conciliatory vibe, as though he were rewarding people for humoring him".

All that said, he's probably better in an arena or theater on his own vs. a massive festival with lots of other better bands, and the fact that you're seeing a total of 24 shows says alot - enjoy the rest of them. thumbs up

strat72
Hairball

Yeah, I can hear him crying and whining about it now...or is that just him singing?

Well, a review is always just one person’s opinion, right? I wasn’t there, maybe it wasn’t his best show, festivals aren’t generally his thing. But I’ve seen some blockbuster shows so far, not entirely filled with diehards, so I just wanted to point out there’s other views out there on e.g. the new album. And thanks, I hope to enjoy the rest of them, too! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-27 04:09 by Aquamarine.

Date: July 27, 2018 04:30

Aquamarine
Well, a review is always just one person’s opinion, right?

Yes a review is just one persons opinion, but when you add my opinion that makes two, and judging by the general reception of the majority in attendance that makes many.
Again, he's probably better in an arena or theater on his own vs. a massive festival with lots of other better bands, and if I ever lift my self imposed ban of attending his shows maybe I'll find out someday. thumbs up

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: July 27, 2018 04:40

`

Posted by: GJB ()
Date: July 27, 2018 11:03

I went to see him at London (#2 show)... I did enjoy the overall no
Phones concept, it worked well and it was easy to get in and out the venue - I don’t know if/how the process would translate to a bigger venue but I would be tempted to try it if I was an artist!

As for his setlist, I would describe it as challenging (especially for a casual fan like me), some stuff from his new album worked well (e.g. over and over) but too much during the middle of the set sounded a little bit too similar to me. Overall it was a OK gig but it didn’t make me think I’ve GOT to listen to more of his stuff/see him again.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 14, 2018 16:41

Bob Dylan minder chastises reviewer for using his phone

Legendary musician Bob Dylan performed last night in Melbourne, and the reviews are mixed.

Nui te Koha, Head of Lifestyle at the Herald Sun was at the performance at Margaret Court Arena, and told Ross and John he received some stern advice of one of Dylan’s team.

“While I was there during the show, writing notes on my phone for my review, one of his team pulled me aside and said, ‘My boss would like your full attention sir’,” Nui said.

“Really?? You serious??” Ross said.

“They probably thought I was blogging from the third row,” Nui said.

“I’d heard a lot about this show before going in, some people walking out in Perth and Adelaide,” Nui said.

“He was amazing! And I don’t pretend to be the biggest Bob Dylan fan.”

Nui said Dylan played for two hours and that he “really enjoyed it” despite being chastised by Dylan’s “people”.

[www.3aw.com.au]

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1352
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home