Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: Jack White bans phones at gigs for “100% human experience”
Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 28, 2018 07:44

If only there was a way to pass/enforce a rule where if/when/after anyone agrees with this no phone/no recording policy and/or complains or bashes on people who record and post to Youtube.... If only there was a way to ban these people (INLCUDING JERK WHITE) FROM EVER WATCHING ANY AUDIENCE RECORDED VIDEOS. EVER! And that includes do not watch the streams from live shows.

Stay off Youtube Jack White, don't be watching audience recorded videos!

But sadly there is no way to enforce that rule, so hypocrites can/will do both. It is not easy to record and post good videos... and to have people complain too.... geeeez

If people don't like other people recording, or complain about them, then dont watch the fruits of their efforts or you are a hypocrite.

Once again THANK YOU TO MICK AND THE STONES FOR BEING EASY GOING ABOUT LETTING PEOPLE RECORD! And for letting the videos stay up.... I love going ot youtube and elsewhere and finding a plethora of material.

I just shake my head and laugh at Jerk White not wanting to have as much of his stuff recorded to be available to people in 2040....2060... 2100. Especially when fans are doing it, on their own, FOR NO COMPENSATION other than the love of preserving the music.

If Jerk wants to let those sights and sounds fade up and evaporate in to the cosmos to be lost forever then... oh well.

THANK YOU TO THE STONES FOR BEING EASY GOING AND LETTING PEOPLE RECORD!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 28, 2018 09:34

It's amusing to me that it's those who have absolutely no intention of going to these shows are the most bent out of shape about the phone policy, whereas most prospective attendees are fine with it. Everyone ought to be happy. Or at least, get over it.

(By the way, audience-recorded videos are not the reason for the ban. And I highly doubt JW spends any time watching them.)

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 28, 2018 11:15

Hairball
Maindefender
He has three songs out now from the new album. My impression is he wants to be the new Prince.

But can he dance like Prince? winking smiley

Seriously though, in what ways does he want to be like Prince?

The music. Corporation and Respect Commander sound like wanna be Prince songs to my ears......I want to latch on to any new music but so far I am underwhelmed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-28 11:22 by Maindefender.

Date: January 28, 2018 11:32

The story here IMO isn't about Jack White at all. He happens to be someone bringing it up, but yes - I think it is a great decision.
So many live shows I been to lately have been 100% compromised by most of the audience not even really there.
There would be a delay of a live cry from the stage. It seems like it took audience an extra second to process, through a screen that they were being asked for a reaction. And more often then it is not someone reacting in real time, but it is a selfie sent off into space saying "Look this is ME with so-and-so Happening behind me'.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 28, 2018 12:15

I saw the Zombies last year in a small theater venue, and there were signs posted prohibiting video and/or audio recording of any kind, and that if you were caught recording you'd be ejected.

So, what's the problem? Since when has bootlegging been legal?

The smartphone craze has just made it too difficult for these laws to be enforced.

For those who think it's "cool" to view a concert through a smartphone lens, just imagine if the performer onstage had the same idea.

Suppose Mick Jagger wanted to stop two or three times during each song, just to get some snapshots and video of YOU:

"We're gonna have a look atcha... We're gonna see how beautiful you are!..."

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 28, 2018 20:04

Good for Jack White! Present day concerts are all about me,me,me,me. Get as loaded as you want, talk throughout the concert, and bring out the cell phones which have terribly bright screens for photos, video shoots, or recording. Very distracting.

I was at the Tedeschi/Trucks band at the Chicago Theater Friday night. Great music, but complete morons EVERYWHERE, drunk to the point of obnoxiousness, and thinking only about themselves. My wife and I chose to leave our seats and move because of these people only to find they were everywhere. Standing near the soundboard was the lesser of all evils. Oh yes, and lit up cell phones everywhere.

I like drinking, but to what end? That show on Friday night is probably my last concert at venues that hold more than 500-1,000. Tickets are expensive and the experience is diminished compared with prior years. I have been going to concerts since 1968. Maybe it was the moon phase, Friday night, or simply this is normal behavior for those fans. Thing is I love live music. There are small venues in the Chicago area I always keep an eye out for musicians I want to go hear.

Thanks for listening...

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: January 28, 2018 20:16

I personally think it's a great idea.

Put the damn phone down & live in the moment!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 28, 2018 20:16

Maindefender
Hairball
Maindefender
He has three songs out now from the new album. My impression is he wants to be the new Prince.

But can he dance like Prince? winking smiley

Seriously though, in what ways does he want to be like Prince?

The music. Corporation and Respect Commander sound like wanna be Prince songs to my ears......I want to latch on to any new music but so far I am underwhelmed

Ahh ok I see now.
As much as I might have liked those early White Stripes albums, there hasn't been much from Jack White that has really grabbed me since- no matter what guise or brand he's working under (Dead Weather, Raconteurs, solo). A song here and there perhaps, but overall nothing that truly stands the test of time or is as memorable as some of those early trashy White Stripes tunes. And now he wants to be like Prince?!!! eye popping smileythumbs downwinking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 28, 2018 20:58

I look forward to the day when you can simply block phones from working when you walk into a venue, like a concert or movie theater. It would probably freak out a lot of entitled phone junkies, but I don't care. I used to take photos at concerts with my SLR camera. Then I realized I was an idiot. I had bought a ticket to see a group I was really interested in, and all I was doing was anticipating the best shot I could get. I haven't missed it at all.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 28, 2018 21:04

24FPS
I look forward to the day when you can simply block phones from working when you walk into a venue, like a concert or movie theater. It would probably freak out a lot of entitled phone junkies, but I don't care. I used to take photos at concerts with my SLR camera. Then I realized I was an idiot. I had bought a ticket to see a group I was really interested in, and all I was doing was anticipating the best shot I could get. I haven't missed it at all.

Seemed to be ‘blocked’ in some venues ‘No Filter’ 2017.
I mean really, we expect a free show?
Guilty as the next riding the periscope train, and seeing video utube after,
but it’s going to be a problem policing phones, IMO.
Cutting the WiFi would eliminate most phones in the air? I would think.
Frankly, I am not coordinated enough to try and view a show and hold my phone up at the same time.

Date: January 28, 2018 21:07

stonehearted
I saw the Zombies last year in a small theater venue, and there were signs posted prohibiting video and/or audio recording of any kind, and that if you were caught recording you'd be ejected.

So, what's the problem? Since when has bootlegging been legal?

The smartphone craze has just made it too difficult for these laws to be enforced.

For those who think it's "cool" to view a concert through a smartphone lens, just imagine if the performer onstage had the same idea.

Suppose Mick Jagger wanted to stop two or three times during each song, just to get some snapshots and video of YOU:

"We're gonna have a look atcha... We're gonna see how beautiful you are!..."

Goodbye darling see you tonight I hope.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 28, 2018 22:09

The reason why there were never any bootlegs of the Fonda gig in 2015.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: January 29, 2018 00:50

Deltics
The reason why there were never any bootlegs of the Fonda gig in 2015.

Oh sure, no problem, whatever the helll that little tiny ticket said would’ve been complied with to get in THAT door.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: January 29, 2018 08:31

Great idea........ Anyone that holds a phone up during a concert is a total moron!

Date: January 29, 2018 10:04

strat72
Great idea........ Anyone that holds a phone up during a concert is a total moron!

Either you do not understand how streaming/Youtubing live shows is done, you are a hypocrite or you think that people helping you see a live show are morons.

[iorr.org]
strat72
Cristiano Radtke
Dancing With Mr. D

I always have loved Goats Head Soup, and the swampy Rock n Roll of DWMD......... This version sounds damn good to me.Love Daryls fills.......

With out some (as you say-)MORON holding up a phone you dont get to love Daryls fills.

GOD BLESS THE PEOPLE WHO HOLD UP PHONES TO RECORD LIVE MUSIC FOR US....
How anyone sees helping others is not being a 100% human is beyond me. It seems more than 100% human to want to help put fellow humans who would love to hear the live music but for many reasons can not be at a show, so they settle for a facebook feed or periscope.

I could not care less about this prima donna jerk white, I just hope the artists whom I do care about do not follow his lead.

and btw- these shows are NOT all sold out... it seems like jacks motivation to not let people stream/record is less about being human and more about greed... [jackwhiteiii.com]

PS
I wonder why am I the only posting in support of phones/cameras and people recording?!?!?
Where the hell are all the people who come begging for a stream during live shows!?!?!

PPS

God bless you Debbie Tiger... smileys with beer
You have made me very very happy!! Thank you a million times!
You certainly are not a moron... YOU ARE A HERO!!!
and I will defend you and other streamers every time this comes up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 10:05 by Leonioid.

Date: January 29, 2018 10:30

No, they're not all sold out. But a lot of them are, and they only went on public sale Friday. There's only nosebleed seats left in the larger venues.

Seriously, Leonioid, chill. This is one artist, whose shows you aren't interested in anyway. This policy isn't new, hasn't been taken up by the majority of artists, and I'm sure won't be taken up by them just because JW is using it. And certainly not by the Stones. So it's no threat to you or the Youtube videos you want to watch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 10:33 by Aquamarine.

Date: January 29, 2018 10:49

Aquamarine
No, they're not all sold out. But a lot of them are, and they only went on public sale Friday. There's only nosebleed seats left in the larger venues.

Seriously, Leonioid, chill. This is one artist, whose shows you aren't interested in anyway. This policy isn't new, hasn't been taken up by the majority of artists, and I'm sure won't be taken up by them just because JW is using it. And certainly not by the Stones. So it's no threat to you or the Youtube videos you want to watch.

Yeah I see he is playing some crappy venues known for being bad out door venues/sheds which are low cost to operate and more profitable for the artist.... and yeah, some of those seats should not even exist.

It is a mistake to take any of this personally and to tell me to chill.
There are many many artist posted about on this site and most of them get ripped apart... so many many times I have read an artist I like get ripped apart... and I have never told anyone to chill about it. I just roll with it....expect for The Stones. I will defend them here because what is a non fan doing on this site?

But for other bands I just accept bashing and do my best to understand it is part of the deal. No artist is immune to getting shredded here.

So it's no threat to you or the Youtube videos you want to watch.
And everytime some bozo control freak like jerk white put a policy like this in place and it is accepted then it is a threat.

Date: January 29, 2018 10:55

And for the most part I do not take part in the shredding of artist here.
I try to be polite (with other polite people) I understand people like various horrible artists so why I should I bash on them... there are enough people doing that all the time. But if/when some artist wants to put in place a policy like this no camera bs, and people are all for it, someone needs to step up or more and more artist will think it is a good idea.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 29, 2018 15:45

You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. The only thing that might work is if you tell people it's okay to record the first two or three songs, and then to please put the phones away for the rest of the show.

Re: No phones at shows
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 29, 2018 20:09

Piece posted in Billboard in March 2017:

Phone Recordings of Concerts Are More Than Just Annoying, They're Potentially Illegal

In the year preceding his untimely death, Prince forbade audience members from videotaping his live performances. Since then, artists such as Childish Gambino, Guns 'N Roses, Alicia Keys and The Lumineers each have required audience members to temporarily forfeit use of their mobile devices by placing them in locked pouches during their concerts.

Full article - [www.billboard.com]

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 29, 2018 21:00

steffialicia
Yippee. Great idea. Be here now.

....Someone had to find a way to bring Oasis into this threadconfused smiley

Date: January 29, 2018 22:41

Leonioid
Aquamarine

Yeah I see he is playing some crappy venues known for being bad out door venues/sheds which are low cost to operate and more profitable for the artist.... and yeah, some of those seats should not even exist.

There are many many artist posted about on this site and most of them get ripped apart... so many many times I have read an artist I like get ripped apart... and I have never told anyone to chill about it. I just roll with it....expect for The Stones. I will defend them here because what is a non fan doing on this site?

But for other bands I just accept bashing and do my best to understand it is part of the deal. No artist is immune to getting shredded here.

And everytime some bozo control freak like jerk white put a policy like this in place and it is accepted then it is a threat.

Far from taking it personally, by telling you to chill I was just suggesting that you sounded unnecessarily upset about a policy that isn’t going to affect you, so you shouldn’t worry about it! And the ripping on JW does seem out of proportion, given that he hardly invented this rule. To repeat, many artists and comedians have used the pouch policy for years, but I don’t see you aiming the same vitriol at them.

Anyway, peace. I hope all the shows you want continue to be recorded and that you enjoy watching them.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: January 29, 2018 23:10

I can understand this angle if you're planning to release the show commercially (dave Chappelle did the same thing last summer because the shows were being filmed/ released on Netflix)

But I totally disagree with disabling cellphones to 'force' people to enjoy the experience more. Not much different than banning booze at shows to stop people from getting drunk and chatting through the show. Attempting to control human nature is wrong, in my opinion. Other side being- you don't like the policy, don't go to the show. I wont be going to the show. One of the best ideas that came out of the Acid Tests was that anything went. "It's your trip, we're not trying to control it"

Date: January 29, 2018 23:24

Aquamarine
Leonioid
Aquamarine

Far from taking it personally, by telling you to chill I was just suggesting that you sounded unnecessarily upset about a policy that isn’t going to affect you, so you shouldn’t worry about it! And the ripping on JW does seem out of proportion, given that he hardly invented this rule. To repeat, many artists and comedians have used the pouch policy for years, but I don’t see you aiming the same vitriol at them.

Anyway, peace. I hope all the shows you want continue to be recorded and that you enjoy watching them.

Enjoy your shows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 03:11 by Leonioid.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: January 30, 2018 02:15

Leonioid
strat72

Either you do not understand how streaming/Youtubing live shows is done, you are a hypocrite or you think that people helping you see a live show are morons.

[iorr.org]
strat72
Cristiano Radtke
Dancing With Mr. D

I always have loved Goats Head Soup, and the swampy Rock n Roll of DWMD......... This version sounds damn good to me.Love Daryls fills.......

With out some (as you say-)MORON holding up a phone you dont get to love Daryls fills.

GOD BLESS THE PEOPLE WHO HOLD UP PHONES TO RECORD LIVE MUSIC FOR US....
How anyone sees helping others is not being a 100% human is beyond me. It seems more than 100% human to want to help put fellow humans who would love to hear the live music but for many reasons can not be at a show, so they settle for a facebook feed or periscope.

I could not care less about this prima donna jerk white, I just hope the artists whom I do care about do not follow his lead.

and btw- these shows are NOT all sold out... it seems like jacks motivation to not let people stream/record is less about being human and more about greed... [jackwhiteiii.com]

PS
I wonder why am I the only posting in support of phones/cameras and people recording?!?!?
Where the hell are all the people who come begging for a stream during live shows!?!?!

PPS

God bless you Debbie Tiger... smileys with beer
You have made me very very happy!! Thank you a million times!
You certainly are not a moron... YOU ARE A HERO!!!
and I will defend you and other streamers every time this comes up!

If given the choice of either not being able to watch some shitty clip on youtube or being able to go to a gig without some moron waving their phone in my face for their snapchat/Instagram or so they can stream....... I promise you I'll go for the phone free gig.

A massive thumbs up for Jack, and a massive thumbs down to the morons.

Date: January 30, 2018 03:11

hypocrites... I guess we will see how it all works out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 03:24 by Leonioid.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 30, 2018 04:09

strat72

If given the choice of either not being able to watch some shitty clip on youtube or being able to go to a gig without some moron waving their phone in my face for their snapchat/Instagram or so they can stream....... I promise you I'll go for the phone free gig.

A massive thumbs up for Jack, and a massive thumbs down to the morons.

Amen. thumbs up

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: January 30, 2018 18:24

Is this really an issue?

A few people taking pictures on their mobile phones? God they pay enough to get in . If you are so sensitive as to be upset by somebody else taking a picture on their phone you really need help. If you don't want to take photos then don't. Just get on with enjoying the show in your own manner. And let those who want to take pictures in theirs.

Question. Would you apply the same principles to bv and the photos he takes at Stones concerts. Because the principle is exactly the same.

A crappy video for youtube. Who cares?

Live and let live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 18:25 by KevinLocksPerm.

Date: January 30, 2018 19:46

KevinLocksPerm
Is this really an issue?

A few people taking pictures on their mobile phones? God they pay enough to get in . If you are so sensitive as to be upset by somebody else taking a picture on their phone you really need help. If you don't want to take photos then don't. Just get on with enjoying the show in your own manner. And let those who want to take pictures in theirs.

Question. Would you apply the same principles to bv and the photos he takes at Stones concerts. Because the principle is exactly the same.

A crappy video for youtube. Who cares?

Live and let live.

I agree. I don't understand why people are so hyper sensitive about people using cameras when people do far farfar faaaaaar more aggravating disrupting things at concerts.

From what I have seen people who are recording are a joy to be around compared to standing next to the horrible sing-a-longer, pukers, drunks, people fighting, upandown-and-inandout-excusemeexcuseme-allnightlong, people shout talking all night as if they are in a bar not at at a show, people inviting their friends to share seats down front... etc etc...

From my experience people who record are doing their thing and hardly noticeable. Then again I am not some control freak who enjoys telling other what to do.

I figure it is a concert do what you want... and I will too... and if that means moving away from aggravating/distracting people then I do... and I probably have moved more times than I haven't. I love a GA floor.

I have recorded shows/taken pictures at concerts since 1978 and it has not taken my attention away from enjoying any concert/show ever. On the contrary I love recording, it makes it all more exciting, I am paying more attention to the show (and not through the viewfinder or screen, I hold my camera to the side) watcing with my eyeballs... and then I go home and get to see the show again! It is tons of fun!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 19:56 by Leonioid.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 1, 2018 00:27

Artists to Fans: Put Your Phone Away!

How phone-locking service Yondr is looking to put concertgoers' focus back on the music

Sacha Lecca

By Steve Knopper

The last thing Jack White wants to see, when he's standing onstage, is a sea of fans more involved with their phones than the music. So after pleading with fans not to use smartphones at earlier shows, he's going hardcore for his sold-out spring tour – hiring Yondr, a tech company, to force attendees to lock their phones in pouches. "The way they react tells me what to do next," White tells Rolling Stone. "And if they're not really there, I don't know what to do next." Adds his manager, Ian Montone, who also manages the like-minded LCD Soundsystem: "No one wants to be standing behind 1,000 phones filming the entire show."

White's shows, beginning April 19th, make up the first full music tour to employ Yondr, which provides phone zones in case of emergency calls. In addition to Guns N' Roses and Alicia Keys, Team No-Phone also includes Bob Dylan, whose security removes fans from shows for filming; Dave Chappelle, a Yondr enthusiast who recently told an audience, "You all need a break from that shit"; and Tool's Maynard James Keenan, who ejects phone users not for taking photos but "because they're recording things and they're annoying the f*ck out of their neighbors." Some fans complain, but artists make a point of announcing the policy in advance so nobody's surprised – early adopters were comedians, such as Tracy Morgan and Chris Rock, who didn't want their material on YouTube. "We really don't face much pushback," says Graham Dugoni, who created Yondr in 2014 for San Francisco burlesque shows and remains the company's CEO.

"It's very distracting for me," says Bonnie Raitt, who asks fans not to shoot photo or video of her shows but often invites them to do so during the final encore. "It's hard for me to connect emotionally. It's like a sacred space between me and the audience."

But not every touring star agrees. Although promoters acknowledge that artists playing smaller, more intimate shows might not want phones flashing everywhere they look, pop stars with younger fans at larger venues consider smartphones a crucial marketing tool. "Potentially, the communal experience for a Justin Timberlake or a Drake is enhanced by a cell phone," a concert-business source says. "Potentially, a cell phone at a Ryan Adams show detracts from it."

"The last thing [artists] want to do is shut down socials during the show – if anything, they get upset if the bandwidth is not big enough for people to be able to Snapchat or Instagram," adds Brock Jones, a longtime Nashville promoter. "They want people posting during the show." And Randy Phillips, president of EDM-festival company LiveStyle and manager of boy band Why Don't We, calls banning cell phones a "bad idea," and adds: "Social media and the Internet are about freedom, not restricting freedom."

Yondr adds roughly $2 to every ticket price and provides its own staff. Justin Timberlake recently used it for an album-listening party, and promoters who'd never heard of Yondr last year are starting to accept it as a requirement for working with certain artists. "You're not hiring the coat-checker to do it," says Andy Cirzan, a vice president for Chicago's Jam Productions. "This is a tried-and-true method from a company that has thought it through." Dugoni, who also works with schools to wean students away from intensive phone use, repeats the word "experience" to describe device-free concerts.

"It feels weird at first, but once you immerse yourself, it becomes a unique kind of concert," adds Jon Lieberberg, manager of Haim, which has used Yondr. "It's almost like a social experiment."

[www.rollingstone.com]

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1424
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home