Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: New Buddy Guy Album - with Keith and Mick as guest musicians
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 06:37

Wow! Scorching...I can't believe Buddy is 81 years old. His voice is so goddamn powerful and clear...and of course that guitar...absolute legend.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 24, 2018 12:20

Wish I'd caught him in Saratoga last summer, pretty decent prices too, logistics were just too complicated. Hopefully he'll keep on touring as he's aged remarkably well.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 30, 2018 22:11

Date: June 5, 2018 18:34

Date: June 6, 2018 19:05

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 6, 2018 19:42

Wow nice Jeff Beck is ripping it up thumbs up...eye popping smiley...thumbs up

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: June 7, 2018 02:31

Wow...this is something really special. First of all, Buddy's in fine voice here with no hint whatsoever of giving away his age. Add in some tasteful blues licks from Keith, unleash Jeff Beck's nonpareil virtuosity...and it all adds up to one of the more dynamic blues tracks I've heard in quite some time. Gold rings on them all!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 7, 2018 10:02

Beck sounds a steamroller, crushing everything in his path. I'm usually a fan of Geoffrey Arnold, but this is just too much. No restraint whatsoever.

Date: June 7, 2018 12:55

Impressive playing by Keith! Loved the descending jazzy lines in the middle of his solo.

Beck is nice, too, but dynamics isn't his strongest side smiling smiley

Date: June 7, 2018 19:07

For what it's worth, Jeff was probably being egged on by Buddy, and whenever they play live together you can see the same. While a bit bombastic and overshadowing almost everything else, he even gets a shout out from Buddy mid-solo and he's there to impress. Maybe a bit of restraint would have severed him well (though Buddy wasn't always knows for his restraint either), but damn he still can play some smokin' stylish solos. And then Keith who also gets a shout out, playing like the old warrior he is, trying to keep the ship on course throughout. All around good stuff for a modern blues tune.

Date: June 7, 2018 19:29

Both of them got the shout out smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 7, 2018 20:01

These shout outs and calling out names in general are normally a bit annoying but at least we know who's playing what...although in the case of Beck it was pretty obvious ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: June 7, 2018 23:23

gotdablouse
These shout outs and calling out names in general are normally a bit annoying but at least we know who's playing what...although in the case of Beck it was pretty obvious ;-)

Correct about Jeff. If Keith hadn't got a shout out I wouldn't even notice he's on this track. He's playing the usual old-school stuff but I cannot blame him for that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-07 23:30 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: June 7, 2018 23:30

TheflyingDutchman
gotdablouse

Correct about Jeff. If Keith hadn't got a shout out I wouldn't even notice he's on this track. He's playing indifferent old-school stuff but I cannot blame him for that.

I heard every lick and chord he played. A good mix down.

Date: June 7, 2018 23:32

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
gotdablouse

Correct about Jeff. If Keith hadn't got a shout out I wouldn't even notice he's on this track. He's playing indifferent old-school stuff but I cannot blame him for that.

So did I, after the shout out.

I edited my posts.' Damn.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-07 23:33 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: June 8, 2018 00:05

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
gotdablouse

So did I, after the shout out.

I edited my posts.' Damn.smiling smiley

You didn't recognise Keith's guitar before that? All the three of them were pretty well panned, imo: Keith left, Buddy centre and Jeff right..

Date: June 8, 2018 00:49

DandelionPowderman

I said that in my post!

"And then Keith who also gets a shout out..."

And while he definitely can be heard, not sure if it's anything uniquely "signature" Keith, and without knowing I probably couldn't say "yes defnitely Keith" with absolute certainty as it's fairly standard.
Whatever the case, good stuff - Keith's subtlety balances out the fireworks from Beck. thumbs up

Date: June 8, 2018 01:01

Hairball
DandelionPowderman

I said that in my post!

"And then Keith who also gets a shout out..."

And while he definitely can be heard, not sure if it's anything uniquely "signature" Keith, and without knowing I probably couldn't say "yes defnitely Keith" with absolute certainty as it's fairly standard.
Whatever the case, good stuff - Keith's subtlety balances out the fireworks from Beck. thumbs up

I should read better! smiling smiley

Date: June 14, 2018 02:23

Buddy Guy Opens Up About The Blues And His Decades-Long Friendship With Mick Jagger And Keith Richards

by Corbin Reiff

On this album you got appearances from both Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. How did that process come together?

To be honest with you, they didn’t come to the studio to do that with me. If I put a track down, a producer might come in and take it to them, or they’ll come in when they have time. I do it all the time. As a matter of fact, I’m more comfortable doing that after hearing someone singing than doing it live, recording in the studio, because I can concentrate more.

Can you recall the first time you met the Stones?

They met me and they wasn’t famous! The first time I was in the studio — I think it was 1962 or maybe ’61 — I was doing a record called My Time After A While and the Stones came to Chess Records to do a demo. Muddy Waters had to help them bring their instruments upstairs… and they brought them in the studio and I’m fitting to get made because I’m saying like, ‘Man, I don’t want nobody in the studio now, I’m recording!’ Then they lined them up against the wall and I come to find out it was the Rolling Stones.

[uproxx.com]

Date: June 14, 2018 04:05

Cristiano Radtke
Buddy Guy Opens Up About The Blues And His Decades-Long Friendship With Mick Jagger And Keith Richards

by Corbin Reiff

On this album you got appearances from both Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. How did that process come together?

To be honest with you, they didn’t come to the studio to do that with me. If I put a track down, a producer might come in and take it to them, or they’ll come in when they have time. I do it all the time. As a matter of fact, I’m more comfortable doing that after hearing someone singing than doing it live, recording in the studio, because I can concentrate more.

Can you recall the first time you met the Stones?

They met me and they wasn’t famous! The first time I was in the studio — I think it was 1962 or maybe ’61 — I was doing a record called My Time After A While and the Stones came to Chess Records to do a demo. Muddy Waters had to help them bring their instruments upstairs… and they brought them in the studio and I’m fitting to get made because I’m saying like, ‘Man, I don’t want nobody in the studio now, I’m recording!’ Then they lined them up against the wall and I come to find out it was the Rolling Stones.

[uproxx.com]

he must mean 1964

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: June 14, 2018 05:57

Another fabulous cd put out from the master.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 14, 2018 12:37

black n blue
Another fabulous cd put out from the master.

thumbs upsmiling bouncing smiley

After all these years, Buddy is still teaching us how it's done. He is indeed the master.

Drew

Date: June 14, 2018 12:39

<Muddy Waters had to help them bring their instruments upstairs>

smoking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 14, 2018 13:13

ab
Beck sounds a steamroller, crushing everything in his path.
No restraint whatsoever.

yeah he even "plays" these mid-80's arcade games sounds he's so fond of. they don't belong to a blues tune imo.
Apart from this this is the best thing I heard in a long time. Keef sounds slightly crushed by these two virtuoso axemen.

Date: June 14, 2018 13:33

dcba
ab
Beck sounds a steamroller, crushing everything in his path.
No restraint whatsoever.

yeah he even "plays" these mid-80's arcade games sounds he's so fond of. they don't belong to a blues tune imo.
Apart from this this is the best thing I heard in a long time. Keef sounds slightly crushed by these two virtuoso axemen.

grinning smiley

Seriously, I though Buddy was the one suffering here. Keith's real blues playing is fantastic here.

Date: June 14, 2018 23:15

"Buddy Guy’s new album is out tomorrow… ”The Blues is Alive and Well”!
Check it out… I was honored to play on “Cognac” along with Jeff Beck."

[www.instagram.com]

Date: June 14, 2018 23:22

DandelionPowderman
Impressive playing by Keith! Loved the descending jazzy lines in the middle of his solo.

Please

Date: June 15, 2018 01:40

DandelionPowderman

Impressive playing by Mick as well. He shines on harp on "You Did the Crime".

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 15, 2018 01:50

...sorry but....Jeff Beck = unlistenable.

Date: June 15, 2018 04:55

Rip This
...sorry but....Jeff Beck = unlistenable.
your the only person who thinks that.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home