Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13
Re: OT: Elton John - Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 7, 2022 18:45

crholmstrom
RollingFreak
Following Elton for years, I feel like he won't be done playing any hits. He just won't be touring on the regular anymore. He very clearly stated at the beginning of this tour he didn't want to be out on the road as much, but that he might still do the one off occasionally. I don't in any way think he's less likely to play Crocodile Rock anymore as he is to be more likely to play Bite Your Lip or something. He's just kinda done touring. You throw enough money at Elton and he'll play anywhere, but it'll be for smaller audiences and this'll probably be the last time most people see him unless you're very wealthy or willing to travel.

I did read an interview where Elton said he wasn't interested in doing residencies in Vegas. He said he had done enough there. I wonder if he would consider something like Billy Joel does in MSG, perhaps in LA. There is a new arena coming for the LA Clippers & I believe the Forum is staying open.

I thought about that but I do think the "final US show" wasn't just a gimmick. He really meant it, but just on a larger scale. I could still see him doing benefits or one offs, whether those be a full show or not. I think he's largely done with stuff after this tour, but I could just see him still showing up anywhere. I don't think he'll be a hermit and he'll do the occasional song here and there. But realistically, he's old and if he doesn't keep playing he'll probably lose practice to do a full show. I doubt he does a once a month thing at a venue but he's Elton and I do think anything is possible.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 7, 2022 19:29

He's 3 years younger than Mick. That means he's not old!winking smiley

Date: December 8, 2022 00:47

Elton is great but he is milking it. Leg after Leg. As he should. The Elton marketing machine has been running like crazy with the book and movie. And also his show is fantastic.

OT: Elton John - Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 19, 2023 22:41

Elton John On Track to Set All-Time Touring Record with Farewell Run

Bob Allen
01/19/2023

Elton John performs during his “Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour” at Allegiant Stadium on Nov. 1, 2022, in Las Vegas. Photo by Ethan Miller / Getty Images

[news.pollstar.com]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 19, 2023 22:56

I can see a big band doing a 10-year tour to set a new record. Some tours are short, some are long. Career earnings mean more to me than what one tour makes. Wonder what Dylan's 2021-24 tour will end up making?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 19, 2023 23:47

NashvilleBlues
I can see a big band doing a 10-year tour to set a new record. Some tours are short, some are long. Career earnings mean more to me than what one tour makes. Wonder what Dylan's 2021-24 tour will end up making?

At least Elton's tour is an actual farewell tour, same stage and setlist. He did 5 shows in Vancouver alone! If it wasn't for covid, it would probably be over by now.
How many people see Dylan these days? Isn't he more a theatre type draw? Does he still play major arenas?

OT: Elton John shows in Auckland Cancelled
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 28, 2023 23:42

Hi friends
Regrettably Elton Johns two Auckland shows have been cancelled due to a Civil Emergency

[www.stuff.co.nz]

I understand our tickets get a Full refund, yet I wondered, how does the Promoters insurance work?
Obviously the Venue has to be paid, the workers who trucked the gear in and set up the stage still get paid, does Elton (who was only 15 minutes from going on stage with his band on Friday) get paid?

Re: OT: Elton John shows in Auckland Cancelled
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 29, 2023 00:06

Neither the posting by midimannz, nor the link, make it clear quite how extraordinary the rain in Auckland was.

From a news report.
> Between 8pm and 10pm on Friday night, more than 131mm of rain fell in Auckland. MetService said a record amount of rain had fallen in the city in the past 24 hours. By 1am, the region had recorded 249mm of rain, exceeding the previous 24-hour record of 161.8mm set in February 1985.

For those who do not understand metric (stay away from Mars Landing missions), 131mm is about 5.1 inches, and 249mm is about 9.8 inches.

So that's just under 10 inches of rain in a day!

Cancelling was obviously sensible, and unfortunate.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 29, 2023 00:35

When concerts are cancelled who are the big losers, would the promoters lose the most.

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 29, 2023 01:00

colonial
When concerts are cancelled who are the big losers, would the promoters lose the most.

Seems like this would fall under "act of God" in the insurance underworld. Hope all those folks in NZ are ok. This is the height of summer down there.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2023 01:07

ROCKMAN

Date: January 29, 2023 02:41

I'm still standing.

Posted by: pjb ()
Date: January 29, 2023 04:13

Lucky i caught him in Christchurch on Tuesday excellent ,he is back in LA now

Date: February 1, 2023 22:17

Elton John’s Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour Is the Highest-Grossing Concert Tour of All Time

It is the first trek in Billboard Boxscore history to gross $800 million.

By Eric Frankenberg
1/30/2023

Elton John performs at Orangetheory Stadium on January 24, 2023 in Christchurch, New Zealand. Rob Ball/WireImage

[www.billboard.com]

Date: June 22, 2023 18:18

Elton John and His Band Receive Billboard Awards For Making Touring History

Phil Anschutz, Jay Marciano and AEG Presents donated $1 million to the Elton John AIDS Foundation at a private garden party to celebrate the new top-grossing tour of all time.

By Joe Lynch
6/21/2023

Ben Gibson

[www.billboard.com]

Date: June 22, 2023 18:34

Elton's husband David Furnish, from an interview with Beth Rigby of Sky News:

Glastonbury 'collaborators'

Furnish revealed as much as he could about his husband's final UK set this weekend, on the pyramid stage at Glastonbury, saying Sir Elton would bring on "four collaborators of his choosing".

When pressed as to who the mystery quartet were, Furnish said: "Sorry. I am sworn to secrecy."

But he hinted that the legendary singer's final performance would contain "a different setlist" with "a lot of changes".

He added Sir Elton would carry on with musical endeavours following his farewell tour, which ends next month.

"I don't think he'll be sitting on the sofa with a remote control," Furnish joked. "He's going to go back into the studio in October and start his next album. Which will be great. He's not done a studio album in a long time."

[news.sky.com]

Date: June 26, 2023 01:30

Elton John wows Glastonbury with career-spanning, star-studded set in final UK gig

Fans are describing it as "the best Glastonbury set ever"

By Elizabeth Aubrey
25th June 2023

OLI SCARFF/AFP via Getty Images

Elton John has wowed Glastonbury with a career-spanning, star-studded set for his final UK gig ever.

Opening with a cover of The Who’s Pinball Wizard, John ran through all his hits including ‘Rocket Man’, ‘Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me’ and ‘I’m Still Standing.’

There were surprise guests too. “My next guest, I first met in 2005 when I started playing Las Vegas. He came round to my hotel suite to play me his band’s first album, which was called ‘Hot Fuss’,” Elton said, introducing The Killers Brandon Flowers.

“We’ve been friends ever since, and he was the first person I thought of to ask to come and sing with me, even though he’s played Glastonbury six times with The Killers. So I’d like to introduce my dear friend and fantastic artist, Brandon Flowers!”

Other guests during the star-studded show included Rina Sawayama, who joined John for a rendition of ‘Don’t Go Breaking My Heart’ – the song John previously duetted on with Kiki Dee.

“When I chose my guests for this show, I wanted to have newer artists, save for one person,” John told the crowd half way into the show by way of explanation of his other guests at the show.

He then introduced 20-year-old Nashville-based songwriter Stephen Sanchez, a “boy I heard last year on the radio in America.”

Elton went on: “I couldn’t believe that someone of 19 or 20 years old could write and sing a song like this. It was a nod to the past but it sounded so beautiful and fresh.”

The song, one of Sanchez’s called ‘Until I Found You’, was then performed by both.

Before that, Gabriels‘ frontman Jacob Lusk joined John on stage with the pair performing ‘Are You Ready For Love?’ for the first time in years alongside the London Community Gospel Choir.

During the introduction for that John fondly recalled Fatboy Slim “regurgitating” the ’70s song to turn it into an early ’00s Number One hit in the UK.

John also delivered an emotional tribute to George Michael on what would have been his 60th birthday.

Before delivering a rendition of ‘Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me’, John called the Wham! singer “one of Britain’s most fantastic singers, songwriters, artists” and added: “he was my friend, an inspiration,” Elton added. “I want to dedicate this song to his memory, and all the music he left us with which is so gorgeous.”

The gig attracted one of The Pyramid Stage’s biggest ever crowds and the gig finished with ‘Rocket Man’ and a flurry of fireworks.

Many of the revellers making up the Sunday night audience wore costumes, glasses and sequins in honour of the legendary performer. The gesture didn’t go unnoticed by John, who towards the end of his set decided to thank the audience.

“I want to thank you all for showing up in your costumes and your glasses and your outfits,” he said. “You make me feel so happy, make me feel loved. I want to thank you also for 52 years of amazing love and loyalty you’ve shown me. It’s been an incredible journey and I’ve had the best, best time. I will never forget you, you’re in my head and my heart and my soul.”

Elton John played:

‘Pinball Wizard’ (The Who cover)
‘The Bitch Is Back’
‘Bennie And The Jets’
‘Daniel’
‘Goodbye Yellow Brick Road’
‘I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues’
‘Philadelphia Freedom’
‘Are You Ready For Love (with Jacob Lusk and London Community Gospel Choir)
‘Sad Songs (Say So Much)’ (with London Community Gospel Choir)
‘Someone Saved My Life Tonight’
‘Until I Found You’ (with Stephen Sanchez)
‘Your Song’
‘Candle In The Wind’
‘Tiny Dancer’ (with Brandon Flowers)
‘Don’t Go Breaking My Heart’ (with Rina Sawayama)
‘Crocodile Rock’
‘Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting’
‘I’m Still Standing’
‘Cold Heart’
‘Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me’
‘Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going To Be A Long, Long Time)’

[www.nme.com]
--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-26 13:29 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 26, 2023 03:30

Watched the tv at home. Elton smashed it for Glastonbury Sunday headlining act. Was reminded how many big tunes he had under his belt. Think I underestimated him. And now I’m regretting not having caught a show on his farewell tour, which came to a relatively close location from where I live only a week ago (Glasgow).

The only time I saw him live was not a stand alone concert. It was in 1988, on Eric Clapton’s 25th Anniversary Tour, at the now long gone Osaka Stadium used for baseball. That was November, but sunny and warm, a matinee in a pleasant Saturday afternoon. Eric’s then touring band was joined by Mark Knopfler, and further augmented by Elton John, an added bonus for the Japanese exclusive dates. Elton was given his own slot in the middle of the set, playing five songs as well as Saturday Night’s Alright for the encore. Hearing and watching Elton performing backed by Clapton and Knopfler is a claim to the fame for me.

But I feel that’s not enough now…

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 26, 2023 05:26

My wife and I saw Elton with his full band at the Blaisdell Arena in Honolulu in 2015 I think it was, and the entire show was mesmerizing. Really excellent!
I grew up hearing all the big hits on the radio in the '70's, and my sister bought all his albums as they were released during that period.
Looking forward to his contribution to the new Stones album, and also the possibility he will release more new and original material on his own some day.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 26, 2023 06:45

bye bye johnny

Bob Allen
01/19/2023

Elton John performs during his “Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour” at Allegiant Stadium on Nov. 1, 2022, in Las Vegas. Photo by Ethan Miller / Getty Images

[news.pollstar.com]

These record breaking tours are ridiculous.

The Rolling Stones toured in 2005-2007 with 147 shows and set a record for attendance and gross.

U2 toured in 2009-2011 and beat the Stones 147 shows in attendance and money made, I forget which order, in shows 73 and 77 - or something like that.

Their tour finished with 110 shows.

With respect to The Rolling Stones and U2, no one since has actually broken those records. Ed Sheeran... cool - but he didn't truly break the record.

Elton...

Just bizarre. Record for that amount of shows. 147 and 110? Nope. Nobody.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 26, 2023 07:25

Elton's wig continues to look more and more bizarre as the years roll by.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 26, 2023 07:47

GasLightStreet
bye bye johnny

Bob Allen
01/19/2023

[news.pollstar.com]

These record breaking tours are ridiculous.

The Rolling Stones toured in 2005-2007 with 147 shows and set a record for attendance and gross.

U2 toured in 2009-2011 and beat the Stones 147 shows in attendance and money made, I forget which order, in shows 73 and 77 - or something like that.

Their tour finished with 110 shows.

With respect to The Rolling Stones and U2, no one since has actually broken those records. Ed Sheeran... cool - but he didn't truly break the record.

Elton...

Just bizarre. Record for that amount of shows. 147 and 110? Nope. Nobody.

I think Taylor Swift may break them this year and next year. A Canadian member of parliament actually complained why she's not playing any shows here! She could easily play multiple nights in major stadiums in Canada. Having said all this, I don't know a single song of hers!

Date: June 26, 2023 08:07

Taylor swift, harry styles.. and a lot of people we havent even heard of will break those records easily in the next years.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 26, 2023 14:26

RisingStone
Watched the tv at home. Elton smashed it for Glastonbury Sunday headlining act. Was reminded how many big tunes he had under his belt. Think I underestimated him. And now I’m regretting not having caught a show on his farewell tour, which came to a relatively close location from where I live only a week ago (Glasgow).

That resonates with me 100%. After seeing that his tour setlist included so many of my favourite songs, I decided a few days before one of his London O2 shows that I had to go if possible and managed to score great floor seats at the standard rate. Like you, I had never taken the opportunity to see him before, for some unknown reason. I guess I thought he would be be too middle or the road or schmaltzy. I now soooo regret not seeing him more than just that once. I then looked to buy a ticket to a subsequent London show, but that was unfortunately scuppered by Covid (which I very likely caught at the O2, but hey...). Once recovered, I tried forever to get an equally good seat to his final London O2 show but failed. There were only ever a tiny handful of seats available that were either priced beyond my reach or up in the nosebleeds. The glimmer of hope now stems from his comment in a recent interview that he wouldn't rule out a residency. The interview article requires a subscription but that comment was repeated in the NYT.

"In the interview with Radio Times, John said he might eventually be open to doing a residency after his farewell tour ends, “but not in America.” That, his representatives said, is for the same reason that he had decided to stop touring: He wants to spend more time with his husband and children, who live in Britain."

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 26, 2023 14:40

Hairball
Elton's wig continues to look more and more bizarre as the years roll by.

Funny comment from Hairball grinning smiley

Date: June 26, 2023 16:37

Elton John at Glastonbury review – bittersweet joy at the end of the yellow brick road

Laura Snapes
25 June 2023

Dave Hogan/Hogan Media/Shutterstock

[www.theguardian.com]

Date: June 26, 2023 16:46

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 27, 2023 13:31

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Taylor swift, harry styles.. and a lot of people we havent even heard of will break those records easily in the next years.

The way inflation's going these days, your local band down the pub will soon be breaking present tour grossing records grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-27 14:02 by Spud.

Date: July 9, 2023 02:18

Tonight's show in Stockholm, Sweden was the final concert of the Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour.

Elton John tells farewell gig crowd they will be in his ‘head, heart and soul’

The Stockholm show marks the end of the veteran singer’s touring career after over 50 years on the road and more than 4,000 performances.

by Naomi Clarke
July 8, 2023

PA Wire

[www.independent.co.uk]

--

Setlist:

- Bennie And The Jets
- Philadelphia Freedom
- I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues
- Border Song (Dedicated to Aretha Franklin)
- Tiny Dancer
- Have Mercy On The Criminal
- Rocket Man (I Think It's Going to Be A Long, Long Time)
- Take Me To The Pilot
- Someone Saved My Life Tonight
- Levon
- Candle In The Wind
- Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
- Burn Down The Mission
- Sad Songs (Say So Much)
- Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
- Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
- The Bitch Is Back
- I'm Still Standing
- Crocodile Rock
- Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting

Encore:
- Cold Heart
- Your Song
- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 9, 2023 15:05

I saw Elton twice over the years. Major talent. I still remember falling in love with his music during my high school years in the 1970s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-09 15:18 by steffialicia.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home