Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13
Re: OT: Elton John - Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 21, 2022 04:35

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
drewmaster
treaclefingers
"Elton John Won’t Stop Performing After Farewell Tour, David Furnish Confirms"...

[www.msn.com]

Well the headline is misleading clickbait. Furnish doesn't say Elton won't stop. He just says there's "the possibility of a special one-off or a small residency in one venue for a limited period of time." He also says "it wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t do any more live shows, either."

Drew

The good ol' "may or may not" Americanism. Redundancy at its finest. Oh, "the possibility" followed up with "wouldn't be surprised if he didn't do any more live shows, either" is just more goldfish in an aquarium that clearly deserves more interesting fish: complete bullshit.

I guess it would have helped if I actually read the article but I don't read crap like that. Click bait indeed...sorry lads!

Hopefully you never start - but I do expect a 300 to 500 or so words review of the headline next time.

OT: Elton John - Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 21, 2022 13:44

Elton John Takes Final Bow at Dodger Stadium With Dua Lipa, Brandi Carlile, Fireworks and a Message to His Fans: “Be Kind to Each Other”

“This is a very special, very emotional night for me. It’s been a long journey,” said the legendary entertainer who turned in his final North American performance in front of an A-list crowd that included Bernie Taupin, Taron Egerton, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Donatella Versace and Jude Law.

By Chris Gardner
November 21, 2022

Disney Branded Television

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

--

Elton John's Yellow Brick Road leads him back to Dodger Stadium for final North American concert: 'It's been a long journey'

Lyndsey Parker
November 21. 2022

[www.yahoo.com]

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-21 16:14 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 21, 2022 14:34

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
drewmaster
treaclefingers
"Elton John Won’t Stop Performing After Farewell Tour, David Furnish Confirms"...

[www.msn.com]

Well the headline is misleading clickbait. Furnish doesn't say Elton won't stop. He just says there's "the possibility of a special one-off or a small residency in one venue for a limited period of time." He also says "it wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t do any more live shows, either."

Drew

The good ol' "may or may not" Americanism. Redundancy at its finest. Oh, "the possibility" followed up with "wouldn't be surprised if he didn't do any more live shows, either" is just more goldfish in an aquarium that clearly deserves more interesting fish: complete bullshit.

I guess it would have helped if I actually read the article but I don't read crap like that. Click bait indeed...sorry lads!

Hopefully you never start - but I do expect a 300 to 500 or so words review of the headline next time.

I will write that...and dig up this old thread, when Sir Elton announces a small series of dates in early 2024.

Date: November 21, 2022 17:31

Ronnie was there

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: November 21, 2022 19:25

freakin Americanisms.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 21, 2022 19:52

Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, and Ronnie Wood in attendance...
Certainly a historical event in the music world, but have to wonder where was Keith?! smiling smiley

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 21, 2022 20:14

Natlanta
freakin Americanisms.

What do you mean?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 21, 2022 20:48

Hairball
Certainly a historical event in the music world, but have to wonder where was Keith?!

He's still made about the monkey with arthritis comment?winking smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 21, 2022 21:29

Just a couple good rockers from back in the day:

OT: Elton John - Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 21, 2022 22:20

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Ronnie was there

If Ronnie was there he didn't rate a namecheck from the Los Angeles Times.

Inside Elton John’s final show at Dodger Stadium: Here are the stars who attended

By Christi Carras
NOV. 21, 2022

[www.latimes.com]

Posted by: 5StringsEnuff ()
Date: November 21, 2022 22:44

Elton composes on the piano, of course, but it is notable how many of his biggest hits kick off with ringing guitar riffs ("Saturday Night is Alright for Fighting", "The Bitch is Back") not to mention scores of deeper tracks ("All The Young Girls Love Alice" and "Grow Some Funk of Your Own", for example). Davey Johnston has said in many interviews that Elton designates where he wants the guitar parts, but then allows Johnston to write them. Johnston began his career as an acoustic expert (mandolin, dobro, dulcimer, etc.) but when he switched his focus to electric after joining up with Elton, it is crystal clear to me who he modeled his sound after. He is channeling Keith on all of those tracks, even if he hasn't admitted it. As inspirations go, one could do worse, obviously!

Here's an interview where he explains in detail his and Elton's working method:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/ive-had-an-amazing-unbelievable-career-elton-john-guitarist-davey-johnstone-names-his-top-five-tracks[/u

- 5 Strings Enuff

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 22, 2022 05:25

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
drewmaster
treaclefingers

[www.msn.com]

Drew

I will write that...and dig up this old thread, when Sir Elton announces a small series of dates in early 2024.

You might as well get to work on it now or soon... or something like that.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 23, 2022 03:45

I had to turn the final concert off. To me, exceedingly dull & disappointing. I saw him do "The Million Dollar Piano" in Vegas & that was actually pretty good. Elton told stories between songs & was hilarious. Elton was my first rock show back in 197cough cough. This is easy listening pap for the most part. Just my opinion. Interesting: the first show I saw was the same tour as the first Dodger Stadium show. Full circle I guess.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 23, 2022 14:47

crholmstrom
I had to turn the final concert off. To me, exceedingly dull & disappointing. I saw him do "The Million Dollar Piano" in Vegas & that was actually pretty good. Elton told stories between songs & was hilarious. Elton was my first rock show back in 197cough cough. This is easy listening pap for the most part. Just my opinion. Interesting: the first show I saw was the same tour as the first Dodger Stadium show. Full circle I guess.

Elton, Rod, Eric, even sting to some extent, and I'm sure others I can't quite think of...morphed at some point in the 90s or so into these AOR-ish singers. Where they thought the 'money and audience' were maybe? Or maybe their tastes changed.

But I agree with the observation.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 23, 2022 15:45

crholmstrom

Well, I think it's different when you watch it on TV vs attending live.

I've caught him twice this year on the Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour, and both shows were incredible. Elton and his band were on fire and burned down the house. I too despise easy-listening pap, and both concerts were about as far as you can get from that.

Drew

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 3, 2022 15:00

Elton John to perform his (last ever UK ?) show at Glastonbury Festival - June 25, 2023 - [www.TheGuardian.com] .

His Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour, which began in 2018, will continue through Europe until July 2023. A show previously booked for Paris' Accor Arena on 25 June will now take place on 21 June.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-03 15:10 by Irix.

Date: December 3, 2022 15:05

Irix
Elton John to perform his last ever UK show at Glastonbury Festival - June 25, 2023 - [www.TheGuardian.com].

Again, another media piece with a clickbait headline that does not jive with the actual announcement. Elton has NOT said it's his "last ever UK show".

Drew

Date: December 3, 2022 15:10

drewmaster

Elton has NOT said it's his "last ever UK show".

"We are incredibly excited to announce that Elton John will headline the Pyramid Stage on Sunday night at Glastonbury 2023, for what will be the final UK show of his last ever tour." - [www.GlastonburyFestivals.co.uk] .

confused smiley

Date: December 3, 2022 15:13

Irix
drewmaster

"We are incredibly excited to announce that Elton John will headline the Pyramid Stage on Sunday night at Glastonbury 2023, for what will be the final UK show of his last ever tour." - [www.GlastonburyFestivals.co.uk] .

confused smiley

"Final UK show of his last ever tour" is not the same as "last ever UK show". smiling smiley He may well do one-offs or even a series of shows in London in the future. Who knows?

Drew

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 3, 2022 16:56

drewmaster
Irix
drewmaster

confused smiley

"Final UK show of his last ever tour" is not the same as "last ever UK show". smiling smiley He may well do one-offs or even a series of shows in London in the future. Who knows?

Drew

Even you must know you're getting into semantics now lol

Date: December 3, 2022 17:25

drewmaster

Who knows?

15 Farewell-Tours that weren’t actually Goodbye (among others Elton John in 1977) - [UltimateClassicRock.com] .

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: December 4, 2022 11:07

Irix

Elton John to perform his (last ever UK ?) show at Glastonbury Festival - June 25, 2023 - [www.TheGuardian.com] .

His Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour, which began in 2018, will continue through Europe until July 2023. A show previously booked for Paris' Accor Arena on 25 June will now take place on 21 June.

I'd thought Elton would have his last UK concert somewhere with class like Royal Albert Hall, but Glastonbury a muddy paddock really

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2022 11:12

Maybe he wants ta plow the back paddock after the show ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: December 4, 2022 11:38

Rockman

I'm really surprised Elton's having it there of all places, I really are

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2022 11:58

Maybe he wants a chance to wear
his diamond studded rubber boots ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 5, 2022 02:27

The 'Flags Blocking the View For Everyone in the Back' festival.

I hope Elton tells them: "God hates flags".cool smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 5, 2022 02:57

colonial
Rockman

I'm really surprised Elton's having it there of all places, I really are

From Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - I'm going back to my plow....

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: deeeskannnie ()
Date: December 5, 2022 11:59

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
drewmaster
treaclefingers

[www.msn.com]

Drew

I thought it’s been well established, by Elton himsélf (in his 2019 tv-interview with Graham Norton) in fact, that this tour was/ is in no way a ‘goodbye’ to the stages & performing as such.
There WILL be (plenty of) one-offs, maybe even residencies after this.

It is, however, a ‘goodbye’ tot the big stadiums & arenas & intercontinental itineraries & the ‘all hits’ setlists.
If Elton takes the stage, after this tour, it will be ‘artistically challenging’ for him. (That’s what he said anyway.)

So if you wanna hear “Crocodile Rock” a.o., do go and see him on this tour –
if you’re (just) interested in seeing Elton performing: you most probably will have plenty of more opportunities, at least in cities near his neck of the woods.

That's what I remember from that conversation anyway...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-05 12:02 by deeeskannnie.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 7, 2022 05:46

Following Elton for years, I feel like he won't be done playing any hits. He just won't be touring on the regular anymore. He very clearly stated at the beginning of this tour he didn't want to be out on the road as much, but that he might still do the one off occasionally. I don't in any way think he's less likely to play Crocodile Rock anymore as he is to be more likely to play Bite Your Lip or something. He's just kinda done touring. You throw enough money at Elton and he'll play anywhere, but it'll be for smaller audiences and this'll probably be the last time most people see him unless you're very wealthy or willing to travel.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 7, 2022 15:09

RollingFreak
Following Elton for years, I feel like he won't be done playing any hits. He just won't be touring on the regular anymore. He very clearly stated at the beginning of this tour he didn't want to be out on the road as much, but that he might still do the one off occasionally. I don't in any way think he's less likely to play Crocodile Rock anymore as he is to be more likely to play Bite Your Lip or something. He's just kinda done touring. You throw enough money at Elton and he'll play anywhere, but it'll be for smaller audiences and this'll probably be the last time most people see him unless you're very wealthy or willing to travel.

I did read an interview where Elton said he wasn't interested in doing residencies in Vegas. He said he had done enough there. I wonder if he would consider something like Billy Joel does in MSG, perhaps in LA. There is a new arena coming for the LA Clippers & I believe the Forum is staying open.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1854
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home