Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13
Re: OT: Elton John - Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 16, 2019 06:05

Perth in 2 weeks

Rod

Date: November 16, 2019 19:34

keefriff99
RollingFreak
crholmstrom
Palace Revolution 2000
I didn't really ant to go see this show but he really was amazing.
The other night a friend and I tried listing all the EJ hits - it is insane how many hits he has had.
watching that youtube graphic the other day about top sellers from 1960 to 2019 also showed very well what a huge force EJ has been for many years. Makes me think: is Elton even in the RARHOF?

he was inducted in 1994. axl rose did the induction speech.

What was insane was Bernie Taupin wasn't inducted with him. Thankfully Elton is classy enough that I think he dedicated the whole thing to him, or even brought him up with him. Cause its the two of them and we all know. It shows exactly how stupid the Hall is that they're the one institution that SHOULD understand that of course you induct Bernie and of course they're @#$%& clueless.
As if my disgust with their nominating process couldn't get any lower.

You induct Elton John and DON'T include Bernie @#$%& Taupin?? Clueless is an understatement.

I didn't know that either. That is ridiculous. I guess they figure EJ went on to scale other heights, but we all know the glory years were Elton and Bernie.
What also proves that this is all internal R&R politics, is that the E Street Band was inducted. The E Street Band??

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 16, 2019 19:39

Palace Revolution 2000
keefriff99
RollingFreak
crholmstrom
Palace Revolution 2000
The other night a friend and I tried listing all the EJ hits - it is insane how many hits he has had.
watching that youtube graphic the other day about top sellers from 1960 to 2019 also showed very well what a huge force EJ has been for many years. Makes me think: is Elton even in the RARHOF?

What was insane was Bernie Taupin wasn't inducted with him. Thankfully Elton is classy enough that I think he dedicated the whole thing to him, or even brought him up with him. Cause its the two of them and we all know. It shows exactly how stupid the Hall is that they're the one institution that SHOULD understand that of course you induct Bernie and of course they're @#$%& clueless.

You induct Elton John and DON'T include Bernie @#$%& Taupin?? Clueless is an understatement.

I didn't know that either. That is ridiculous. I guess they figure EJ went on to scale other heights, but we all know the glory years were Elton and Bernie.
What also proves that this is all internal R&R politics, is that the E Street Band was inducted. The E Street Band??

Yup, I'm as big a Bruce fan as anyone and that was kinda dumb that they put them in. Just cause Steven and Landau are on the rock board. I love that band to death, but they should have gone in with Bruce or not at all. And the bottom line is they ASKED Bruce how he wanted to be inducted and he said alone. He knew in his heart that that makes the most sense too. The albums were always ONLY credited to him, and thats a deliberate choice. Live? Of course you advertise them. But the music and the songs are really uniquely his. Its not as much a collaborative effort as Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers is. They were right the first time around with just Bruce.

I get that it can become tricky with some bands. When you induct Petty AND the Heartbreakers, thats technically not including Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers, two of his biggest records that truly show Tom COULD kinda do it all on his own. But he started his career with the Heartbreakers and they all had a fairly equal say in things even if he was the spokesman. I could say the same thing about Bob Seger. Technically, its all just him, BUT he always credited the Silver Bullet Band on the album covers. Does that make them worthy? While I'd probably just induct Bob his own, I could totally understand how the Silver Bullet Band deserves it more than the E Street Band. Bob cared enough then to put them on the album covers. That WAS the identity.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 16, 2019 20:01

RollingFreak
Palace Revolution 2000
keefriff99
RollingFreak
crholmstrom
Palace Revolution 2000

Yup, I'm as big a Bruce fan as anyone and that was kinda dumb that they put them in. Just cause Steven and Landau are on the rock board. I love that band to death, but they should have gone in with Bruce or not at all. And the bottom line is they ASKED Bruce how he wanted to be inducted and he said alone. He knew in his heart that that makes the most sense too. The albums were always ONLY credited to him, and thats a deliberate choice. Live? Of course you advertise them. But the music and the songs are really uniquely his. Its not as much a collaborative effort as Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers is. They were right the first time around with just Bruce.

I get that it can become tricky with some bands. When you induct Petty AND the Heartbreakers, thats technically not including Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers, two of his biggest records that truly show Tom COULD kinda do it all on his own. But he started his career with the Heartbreakers and they all had a fairly equal say in things even if he was the spokesman. I could say the same thing about Bob Seger. Technically, its all just him, BUT he always credited the Silver Bullet Band on the album covers. Does that make them worthy? While I'd probably just induct Bob his own, I could totally understand how the Silver Bullet Band deserves it more than the E Street Band. Bob cared enough then to put them on the album covers. That WAS the identity.
I'm surprised you feel that...I kinda feel the exact opposite.

Any band that's capable of backing up and keeping up with THAT MAN for almost 50 years for 3-4 hours a night is deserving of induction.

Date: November 16, 2019 20:08

Again, its mainly because Bruce himself clearly feels a specific way. I think they are one of the greatest bands ever, but I don't think its coincidental that they aren't listed on the albums and he himself thought he should be inducted alone. He played with them at the Induction ceremony which is absolutely the right call, but he was given every opportunity to include them and clearly thought "no, this is really about me and when push comes to shove, its a solo effort not a band one in the grand scheme of things." Yes I think its partially a semantics thing, but its unlike a scenario where they DIDN'T give him a choice. They let him do it however he wanted and he chose it that way.

You either put them in WITH him or you didn't put them in at all. Especially when you have bands like the Misfits who are unfairly looked down on and can't get in ONCE! But Bruce Springsteen's band gets in twice? I love the E Street Band, and I'm happy they got recognized, but I also can't pretend like its not just favorable politics for them. (Also, Bruce's entire speech in 1999 when he went in alone was basically praising that entire band. I personally thought it made sense that he went in alone but the speech is about the band. Gave them the spotlight but that the one who gets the honor is the one who started it all, writes the music, steers the ship, and makes every decision in the band).

Date: November 19, 2019 08:35

RollingFreak
Again, its mainly because Bruce himself clearly feels a specific way. I think they are one of the greatest bands ever, but I don't think its coincidental that they aren't listed on the albums and he himself thought he should be inducted alone. He played with them at the Induction ceremony which is absolutely the right call, but he was given every opportunity to include them and clearly thought "no, this is really about me and when push comes to shove, its a solo effort not a band one in the grand scheme of things." Yes I think its partially a semantics thing, but its unlike a scenario where they DIDN'T give him a choice. They let him do it however he wanted and he chose it that way.

You either put them in WITH him or you didn't put them in at all. Especially when you have bands like the Misfits who are unfairly looked down on and can't get in ONCE! But Bruce Springsteen's band gets in twice? I love the E Street Band, and I'm happy they got recognized, but I also can't pretend like its not just favorable politics for them. (Also, Bruce's entire speech in 1999 when he went in alone was basically praising that entire band. I personally thought it made sense that he went in alone but the speech is about the band. Gave them the spotlight but that the one who gets the honor is the one who started it all, writes the music, steers the ship, and makes every decision in the band).

At first glance I thought you had written "..writes the music, STEALS the ship, and ...". And I thought "Wow I don't know that expression; very cool though".

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: November 27, 2019 01:19

I was able to get Knoxville but it was very difficult being Tickets Unlimited instead of Ticketmaster. Actually had to get them by phone just before they sold out as the computer never let me in. Hundreds of people have complained on Facebook but at least I'm in without having to pay scalper prices.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 16, 2020 23:09

Does anyone have a tour poster and T-shirt from Elton's "Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour" concert and if ya do could ya post a photo of it on here, just that I'm going to his concert in a few weeks and interested to see what the posters and T-shirts look like. cheers

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 17, 2020 00:55

colonial
Does anyone have a tour poster and T-shirt from Elton's "Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour" concert and if ya do could ya post a photo of it on here, just that I'm going to his concert in a few weeks and interested to see what the posters and T-shirts look like. cheers

[store.eltonjohn.com]

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 17, 2020 01:40

crholmstrom
colonial

[store.eltonjohn.com]

yea seen them, no tour poster photo

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: January 17, 2020 16:57

tonyc
I really like the new song from the movie "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again". I hope it gets added to the setlist later this year.

Great song. It won at the Golden Globes and is nominated for the Oscars. Do it Elton. Don't have a "Doom & Gloom" attitude about playing new songs.

Date: February 17, 2020 14:31

tonyc
tonyc
I really like the new song from the movie "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again". I hope it gets added to the setlist later this year.

Great song. It won at the Golden Globes and is nominated for the Oscars. Do it Elton. Don't have a "Doom & Gloom" attitude about playing new songs.

Elton got the Oscar for this as well. First time Bernie Taupin got one of those.

Unfortunately, Elton got walking pneumonia and had to stop his last concert in progress in New Zealand. I hope he can finish the tour. There are lots of dates left.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 17, 2020 19:34

More here: [www.npr.org]

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: February 17, 2020 20:06

I was front row at this cancelled show

See here [youtu.be]

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: February 18, 2020 20:38

Elton John postpones 2 remaining Auckland New Zealand shows

[www.newstalkzb.co.nz]

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 19, 2020 01:48

midimannz

See here [youtu.be]

This gives me a really mixed reaction. While I can't stand being around weak blubbering men and I find this very cringe, 30-38 seconds is hysterical. Of course it is Elton John acting like this.. He is not exactly John Wayne.

What is the crowd cheeing for exactly? That a grown ass man is crying like a 5 year old girl?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-19 02:18 by stanlove.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 19, 2020 03:14

midimannz

See here [youtu.be]
I think Elton is both moved by the crowd and heartbroken that he let them down. Reminds me of Keith's reaction to "Ole Ole Ole Richards!" when Ronnie came over and checked on him.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: February 19, 2020 08:43

I went to see Elton in December indoors in Melbourne because as I said to friends 38 shows across Australia & NZ and 2 side trips to LA for Elton was going to take its toll on a 73 year old man.

At least the Stones know their limits and only perform 2 shows per week!

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Date: February 19, 2020 13:34

I still get smiles on my face remembering the 2019 Elton show i saw.

Loved it 100%

Date: February 19, 2020 13:46

Elton's voice is one of the very few IMO that has actually gotten stronger and more resonant through the years. His singing w/ Leon Russell project was stellar. Matter of fact that is what I got out of that whole project: EJ's voice. And his singing, and hair, is still very good.
I recently saw the latest Paul Mccartney live shows, and it was heartbreaking: this was the very fist time one could clearly notice age taking its toll on Paul's universal voice.

Date: February 19, 2020 13:55

Palace Revolution 2000
Elton's voice is one of the very few IMO that has actually gotten stronger and more resonant through the years. His singing w/ Leon Russell project was stellar. Matter of fact that is what I got out of that whole project: EJ's voice. And his singing, and hair, is still very good.
I recently saw the latest Paul Mccartney live shows, and it was heartbreaking: this was the very fist time one could clearly notice age taking its toll on Paul's universal voice.

grinning smiley

Date: February 19, 2020 15:02

Palace Revolution 2000

huh? the songs are tuned down so low to fit his voice

Date: February 19, 2020 15:05

Yeah, Elton used to have a masterful voice. Still love the guy to death but to say its gotten stronger as the years have gone on? Not at all. He's used it well and figured out workarounds, but his voice isn't even the same voice it was 40 years ago.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 19, 2020 18:49

Elton had vocal cord surgery in 1987 (removing a benign lesion), resulting in more resonance and a lower register - between that and age, he obviously doesn't sound the way he used to in his heyday, but is still quite good within a certain range (check out his studio work this century). This isn't a recent development - if you go back to the surgery, it's been like this to some degree for decades now.

Date: February 19, 2020 19:44

Oh I'm aware. I just wouldn't say his voice is stronger or has gotten stronger over the years. It is, bless it, what it is. Not an insult at all, it just seemed like an exaggeration to call it stronger than it ever has been in the last 30 years. Its all essentially been the same.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 19, 2020 20:15

RollingFreak
Oh I'm aware. I just wouldn't say his voice is stronger or has gotten stronger over the years. It is, bless it, what it is. Not an insult at all, it just seemed like an exaggeration to call it stronger than it ever has been in the last 30 years. Its all essentially been the same.

Agreed.

Date: February 28, 2020 21:17

PaintMonkeyManBlack
I still get smiles on my face remembering the 2019 Elton show i saw.

Loved it 100%

Me too. It was almost exactly 30 years since I first saw him in 1989 in my first concert. This time in Atlanta in 2019 where Elton has a home and always gives his best. I had an aisle seat in the front row upper level side stage on the side of his piano. The young woman next to me was her first time seeing Elton. She was quiet and polite but clearly having the time of her life and I was able to just get in a zone where I could rock my chair to every lyric and every note without distraction.

I have tickets to see him again in Knoxville in June but if something happens between now and then and Atlanta is my last Elton show then it will have been a great one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-28 21:20 by tonyc.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 1, 2020 15:52

tonyc
tonyc
tonyc

Elton got the Oscar for this as well. First time Bernie Taupin got one of those.

Unfortunately, Elton got walking pneumonia and had to stop his last concert in progress in New Zealand. I hope he can finish the tour. There are lots of dates left.

I had never heard of walking pneumonia before! Apparantly it is a milder form so he should be ok. I remember folks at work returning to work after 2 days with 'flu'.
As if! They had the common cold thats all. Real flu is awful..at least 2 weeks to recover.
We were in NZ for a first ever visit around the time he was appearing at Dunedin. My wife was very upset (she is the fan, not me). We did not know of the dates. The weather was really bad in the area at the time which upset some of our plans and some fans were unable to make the date.
We are currently in Australia...but no plans to see Elt. Went see Carmen at Sydney Opera House instead.

OT: Elton John - Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 23, 2021 03:50

OT: Elton John - Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 23, 2021 16:38

Here they are - my final tour dates ever in North America and Europe! This has been an incredible tour so far and I'll be going out in the biggest possible way. I can't wait to see you all on the road one last time

[twitter.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home