Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13
Re: OT: Elton John - Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour
Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 15, 2019 19:47

RollingFreak
Where I do give him credit is he throws a bone every tour. They're largely similar but stuff like Bite Your Lip and many others do occasionally pop out. Its usually once or twice, but just saying he doesn't HAVE to do it at all. So he does mix it up, just not within a tour.

Indeed...in fact, there were six songs I heard last month that he didn't play the last time I saw him in 2014. Tour to tour, he's done a pretty good job in changing things up, and I've gotten to hear most of my personal favorites (deep cuts) over the years. And he would always throw in two or three songs from his latest album - and once, I recall, in 2005, he opened the show with eight straight songs from his recent "Peachtree Road" album - kind of crazy, but fortunately I knew the album and the songs were good, but the you could tell the audience was getting a bit restless...he didn't disappoint, though, by following up with close to two hours of familiar stuff!

Some added bonuses this tour are a couple of new instrumental jams (Levon with the percussion back-and-forth), plus the mere presence of Ray Cooper (Indian Sunset is such a highlight this tour). I've only seen Ray once with Elton (two-man show in 1994), so it was cool to finally see him as part of the full band.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: May 16, 2019 17:57

I really like the new song from the movie "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again". I hope it gets added to the setlist later this year.

Date: June 9, 2019 20:46

Saw him yesterday. Amazing show. Just amazing.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 9, 2019 23:10

Elton is due to be in Tampa, Florida on November 4. He had to reschedule from last year due to illness. I cannot believe the prices of the tickets (through brokers of course.) They are in the range of Stones tickets. Same situation with Queen and Adam Lambert who will be in Tampa in August. All my money is gone on my three Stones shows so I can't consider Elton or Queen.

Date: November 10, 2019 21:12

I saw the Atlanta show on November 1 after seeing Nashville the year before. The show is actually longer now and he sounds better. Highly recommend everyone try to see it before the long farewell ends.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: November 10, 2019 22:19

He got fabulous reviews from Tampa show. I'm really sorry I didn't go.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 12, 2019 02:13

Just caught Elton's concert in Philly. Such a great show, words cannot describe it.

Drew

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 12, 2019 02:34

He's playing like, 11 more shows in the NY/NJ area and I'll probably have to catch another on the tour.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 12, 2019 02:54

RollingFreak
He's playing like, 11 more shows in the NY/NJ area and I'll probably have to catch another on the tour.

any songs about dead blonde chicks? i kid i kid. elton was my very first concert way back in 197cough cough cough

Date: November 12, 2019 03:38

crholmstrom
RollingFreak

any songs about dead blonde chicks? i kid i kid. elton was my very first concert way back in 197cough cough cough

He does do that song and he makes out with a guy during it. Its sweet. I didn't even know Elton was gay.

Date: November 12, 2019 03:46

RollingFreak
crholmstrom
RollingFreak

He does do that song and he makes out with a guy during it. Its sweet. I didn't even know Elton was gay.

No gaydar!!!!!! grinning smiley

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: November 12, 2019 16:41

RollingFreak
crholmstrom
RollingFreak

You know many people don't know Elton is bi not gay. He was married to a woman in 80s I believe.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: November 13, 2019 16:40

Elton just announced yet another batch of N American shows starting in March.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 13, 2019 17:41

DEmerson
Elton just announced yet another batch of N American shows starting in March.

North America Welcomes back Elton - it's almost as if he never left!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 13, 2019 17:43

Good for him! He's killing it on this tour...I'm thinking about snagging tickets for one of his northeast dates early next year. I've only seen him once, with Billy Joel, in 2002.

Date: November 13, 2019 17:59

I'd be happy to see him again as I missed these recent "farewell" shows, and it's been quite a few years since I last saw him.
Unfortunately no new dates scheduled in my area, but based on this *never ending farewell tour, I suppose it's just a matter of time until he schedules more in my neck of the woods.

*Maybe the tour should be renamed Hello Yellow Brick Road.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-13 19:00 by Hairball.

Date: November 13, 2019 21:13

keefriff99
Good for him! He's killing it on this tour...I'm thinking about snagging tickets for one of his northeast dates early next year. I've only seen him once, with Billy Joel, in 2002.

You absolutely should. Its a phenomenal show, especially if you've never seen a true show thats just Elton and his band. @#$%&, he still has Ray Cooper, Nigel Olsen and Davey Johnstone. And its a small band which is awesome too. Not an overwhelming amount on stage, just Elton and his music. There's really no reason NOT to go, besides price.

Hairball, you should go too. If you're a fan of his music, these are shows to be at. Elton is a professional that always delivers the goods and his a catalogue to match.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-13 21:14 by RollingFreak.

Date: November 13, 2019 21:36

You're preaching to the choir - been there done that. The last two times my wife and I saw him (in Hawaii) were exceptional, and the lineup included both Davey Johnstone and Nigel Olsen...and ticket prices were much more reasonable.

Read all about it: Elton John Greatest Hits Tour

Again, would be happy to see him again if he makes it back to my neck of the woods.

EDIT: In addition to the above 2012 shows in Honolulu, realized the last time we saw him was just a few years ago in 2015, same venue. Review: Elton John and a Saturday night

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-13 21:47 by Hairball.

Date: November 13, 2019 21:55

Ah, didn't realize you'd seen him recently. Then yes, its LESS of a need. Anyone that hasn't seen him or seen him in awhile should definitely go. If you've seen him before, it'll still be great but you also kinda know the show already.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 13, 2019 22:39

RollingFreak
Anyone that hasn't seen him or seen him in awhile should definitely go.

No thank you

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 13, 2019 23:39

RollingFreak
keefriff99

You absolutely should. Its a phenomenal show, especially if you've never seen a true show thats just Elton and his band. @#$%&, he still has Ray Cooper, Nigel Olsen and Davey Johnstone. And its a small band which is awesome too. Not an overwhelming amount on stage, just Elton and his music. There's really no reason NOT to go, besides price.

Hairball, you should go too. If you're a fan of his music, these are shows to be at. Elton is a professional that always delivers the goods and his a catalogue to match.

He's also got Matt Bissonette on bass. Matt was with David Lee Roth in the late 80s, his brother Gregg was the drummer. The two also played with Joe Satriani in the 90s.

Date: November 13, 2019 23:56

Great news about the new dates. Knoxville is an hour away so no long road trip for a change.

I doubt the last U.S. show ever will be Kansas City so I would expect another batch in 2021 that maybe even has some stadiums included.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 14, 2019 22:28

tonyc
Great news about the new dates. Knoxville is an hour away so no long road trip for a change.

I doubt the last U.S. show ever will be Kansas City so I would expect another batch in 2021 that maybe even has some stadiums included.

I work 10 and live 40 minutes from Thompson Boling Arena... Hopefully we'll both get in to the show! If I can get tickets to Tommy Emmanuel @ the Tennessee this Friday and some for Elton next, I'll be one happy camper for sure!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: November 14, 2019 23:04

hope he does a another west coast (US) swing. i'll try to go if he does & if i can afford it. last time i saw him was the same weekend as the stones 50& counting show in vegas 2012. it was the million dollar piano show. probably not as long as this one but was excellent. the highlights were there. i sat upper balcony & it was great & affordable. i had blown the budget on the stones tickets. that show he told a lot of highly amusing stories. the first time i saw him was 1975, my first show. it was a big deal at the time. "rock of the westies" tour. next up was wings over america in 1976 in the kingdome. the show they released on video. i'm older than dirt.

Date: November 15, 2019 10:19

mr_dja
tonyc

I work 10 and live 40 minutes from Thompson Boling Arena... Hopefully we'll both get in to the show! If I can get tickets to Tommy Emmanuel @ the Tennessee this Friday and some for Elton next, I'll be one happy camper for sure!

Good luck to you, too, sir.

Date: November 15, 2019 12:21

I didn't really ant to go see this show but he really was amazing.
The other night a friend and I tried listing all the EJ hits - it is insane how many hits he has had.
watching that youtube graphic the other day about top sellers from 1960 to 2019 also showed very well what a huge force EJ has been for many years. Makes me think: is Elton even in the RARHOF?

Date: November 15, 2019 12:31

Palace Revolution 2000
The other night a friend and I tried listing all the EJ hits - it is insane how many hits he has had.
watching that youtube graphic the other day about top sellers from 1960 to 2019 also showed very well what a huge force EJ has been for many years. Makes me think: is Elton even in the RARHOF?

he was inducted in 1994. axl rose did the induction speech.

Date: November 16, 2019 00:19

crholmstrom
Palace Revolution 2000

What was insane was Bernie Taupin wasn't inducted with him. Thankfully Elton is classy enough that I think he dedicated the whole thing to him, or even brought him up with him. Cause its the two of them and we all know. It shows exactly how stupid the Hall is that they're the one institution that SHOULD understand that of course you induct Bernie and of course they're @#$%& clueless.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 16, 2019 00:35

RollingFreak
crholmstrom
Palace Revolution 2000

What was insane was Bernie Taupin wasn't inducted with him. Thankfully Elton is classy enough that I think he dedicated the whole thing to him, or even brought him up with him. Cause its the two of them and we all know. It shows exactly how stupid the Hall is that they're the one institution that SHOULD understand that of course you induct Bernie and of course they're @#$%& clueless.

Indeed...he called him up and literally gave him the award. It was a great moment.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 16, 2019 01:37

RollingFreak
crholmstrom
Palace Revolution 2000

As if my disgust with their nominating process couldn't get any lower.

You induct Elton John and DON'T include Bernie @#$%& Taupin?? Clueless is an understatement.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home