Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 13
Re: OT: Elton John - Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour
Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 25, 2019 02:01

35love
DGA35
Elton just announced a third show in Vancouver a couple days after his original two which I'm sure will sell out fast. I believe he will only be the second artist to ever do 3 shows at Rogers Arena since Garth Brooks did 3 back in the late 90s.

Far out. Women are going to these shows ^^. I know 2 women that went to Elton John in Oakland (last weekend?)
Go figure.

Why wouldn't women go to his shows? I suspect he always had a large number of female fans.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 25, 2019 03:27

marianna
35love
DGA35
Elton just announced a third show in Vancouver a couple days after his original two which I'm sure will sell out fast. I believe he will only be the second artist to ever do 3 shows at Rogers Arena since Garth Brooks did 3 back in the late 90s.

Far out. Women are going to these shows ^^. I know 2 women that went to Elton John in Oakland (last weekend?)
Go figure.

Why wouldn't women go to his shows? I suspect he always had a large number of female fans.

Quite right, I did not mean to open the woman verses man conversation.
To add: it does bother me if stated ‘last time’ and indeed it is not.
I understand hard times, individual circumstances,
But stating ‘I’m not performing live or touring again after this’ DOES make a difference/ Liar?
People ARE buying Elton tickets to see 1 last time.
I would have liked to have gone for the same reason (and I’ve never seen him)

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 25, 2019 03:41

35love
Quite right, I did not mean to open the woman verses man conversation.
To add: it does bother me if stated ‘last time’ and indeed it is not.
I understand hard times, individual circumstances,
But stating ‘I’m not performing live or touring again after this’ DOES make a difference/ Liar?
People ARE buying Elton tickets to see 1 last time.
I would have liked to have gone for the same reason (and I’ve never seen him)

It's a 300-date, nearly three-year world tour...considering he'll be 72 in March, I tend to take his word for it.

Also, it's a retirement from touring. He never said he wouldn't perform live again - it's more about no longer wanting to travel and be on the road. As a fan of his for the past 45 years, the guy has been a workaholic, touring and recording constantly.

More info here...
[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 25, 2019 03:59

Hats off to Elton (even though he called Keith an arthritic monkey) - his music from the '70s is absolutely fantastic!
Saw him in Honolulu twice in the last decade thanks to my wife who begged to go, and they ended up being amongst my favorite concerts - great tunes and excellent musicianship from the entire band!
Would have liked to see him again, but never got around to it, and now all four upcoming shows in L.A. are sold out (two at Staples Center, two at the Forum)...might be looking at verified resales or stubhub for when the prices drop a bit...if they drop....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-25 04:00 by Hairball.

Date: January 25, 2019 04:06

Yeah, my ship sailed on Elton last weekend. No matter, no worries.
THE ROLLING STONES ARE COMING IN MAY!
smiling bouncing smileycool smiley

Date: January 25, 2019 04:12

Hairball
Hats off to Elton (even though he called Keith an arthritic monkey) - his music from the '70s is absolutely fantastic!
Saw him in Honolulu twice in the last decade thanks to my wife who begged to go, and they ended up being amongst my favorite concerts - great tunes and excellent musicianship from the entire band!
Would have liked to see him again, but never got around to it, and now all four upcoming shows in L.A. are sold out (two at Staples Center, two at the Forum)...might be looking at verified resales or stubhub for when the prices drop a bit...if they drop....

I've seen him many times over the years...always a great show and very cool having Davey and Nigel in the band (with Ray Cooper, too, this time around!)

I'll be seeing him on February 1st at The Forum...saw him for the first time there back in '84 - full circle 35 years later!

Date: January 25, 2019 04:31

Forgot to mention that I saw a great show the other night on tv that went through the top 10 greatest tunes from Elton - forgot what channel or the name of the show, so had to look it up.

Elton John: The Nation's Favourite Song
(originally aired in the UK, 2017)

"The nation chooses its favourite Elton John song in a new 90-minute special that goes in-depth with the pop superstar,
paying tribute to the singer-songwriter’s 50 years in the music business, and marking the year of his 70th birthday".

Won't give away the number one favorite, but the complete show can be seen here on youtube broken up in to 22 separate video segments:

The Nations Favourite Song

Date: February 10, 2019 04:05

This is by far his best album. I'd love to see this show. I saw him live in 1983 and it was a fantastic show. The MFSL cd version of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road sounds just superb in my car stereo system. Unforgettable experience. Best MFSL ever!

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: mg72 ()
Date: February 10, 2019 05:51

I really wish to be going February 21 or 22.
Tweeted him asking him for a return to Minneapolis in October.

Date: February 10, 2019 06:36

I asked my brother in law today
How was Elton? (Oakland CA show)
FANTASTIC he says SO GOOD. 3 hour show small break unbelievable he said.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: February 10, 2019 06:45

Jah Paul
I'll be seeing him on February 1st at The Forum...saw him for the first time there back in '84 - full circle 35 years later!

Ah that must have been great - '84 was one of the best years for Elton. Still with Dee/Nigel/Davey, his voice probably at its peak, playing all the songs too fast out of his mind... those epic long versions of Bennie and the Jets with the band leaving the stage for him to fool around in the middle... perfect.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: February 10, 2019 07:09

I saw him in 75, and that was a killer show. This one last week was almost as good.

Date: February 10, 2019 07:20

tommycharles
Jah Paul

Ah that must have been great - '84 was one of the best years for Elton. Still with Dee/Nigel/Davey, his voice probably at its peak, playing all the songs too fast out of his mind... those epic long versions of Bennie and the Jets with the band leaving the stage for him to fool around in the middle... perfect.

It was a great show last week and kind of amazing that 35 years have passed just like that! Wasn't sitting too far from where I was back in '84, which was an incredible show itself. At that point, I had been an Elton fan since I was seven years old (the "Crocodile Rock" single was the first record I ever bought in January '73)...but I had never seen him in concert. Was extra special to have Dee/Nigel/Davey there - so many great memories unfolding before my eyes. '84 was definitely a rockin' show with so many great versions of the classics...he opened with "Tiny Dancer" back then, simply saying "Good evening L.A." before playing the familiar opening chords.

Felt a bit nostalgic sitting there at the ol' Forum - saw many concerts there back in the day. With so many of my favorites scaling back/retiring/passing on, I don't foresee many arena-type shows in my future...Elton was a good send-off!

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: February 10, 2019 07:26

Jah Paul
tommycharles
Jah Paul

It was a great show last week and kind of amazing that 35 years have passed just like that! Wasn't sitting too far from where I was back in '84, which was an incredible show itself. At that point, I had been an Elton fan since I was seven years old (the "Crocodile Rock" single was the first record I ever bought in January '73)...but I had never seen him in concert. Was extra special to have Dee/Nigel/Davey there - so many great memories unfolding before my eyes. '84 was definitely a rockin' show with so many great versions of the classics...he opened with "Tiny Dancer" back then, simply saying "Good evening L.A." before playing the familiar opening chords.

Felt a bit nostalgic sitting there at the ol' Forum - saw many concerts there back in the day. With so many of my favorites scaling back/retiring/passing on, I don't foresee many arena-type shows in my future...Elton was a good send-off!

I saw him at Staples, did he disappear into the screen at the end? I bet the sound was even better at the Forum.

Date: February 10, 2019 07:32

Jah Paul
tommycharles
Jah Paul

Awesome Jah Paul.

Funny you mention the Crocodile Rock single as your first ever bought- my older bro bought it one day while we were at the old Santa Monica Mall when we were kids. Used to be our Saturday ritual - head to the mall, fart around, cause some trouble, and go to the record store to pick up the latest. (Jerry Reed's Amos Moses just flashed through my mind haha).

As for me, unfortunately I couldn't make it to any of the recent L.A. shows, but am grateful to have seen those two Honolulu shows not long ago.
And who knows, while he might not be doing massive tours again, there's the chance he'll get the bug and do a few more live shows here and there - hope so.

Date: February 10, 2019 07:46

roller99
I saw him at Staples, did he disappear into the screen at the end? I bet the sound was even better at the Forum.

Yeah, he went up that ramp-like thing off to the side...a little bizarre. The sound was great at the Forum - the acoustics never disappoint after all these years!

Date: February 10, 2019 07:55

Hairball
Awesome Jah Paul.

Funny you mention the Crocodile Rock single as your first ever bought- my older bro bought it one day while we were at the old Santa Monica Mall when we were kids. Used to be our Saturday ritual - head to the mall, fart around, cause some trouble, and go to the record store to pick up the latest. (Jerry Reed's Amos Moses just flashed through my mind haha).

As for me, unfortunately I couldn't make it to any of the recent L.A. shows, but am grateful to have seen those two Honolulu shows not long ago.
And who knows, while he might not be doing massive tours again, there's the chance he'll get the bug and do a few more live shows here and there - hope so.

We had similar memories growing up, geographically and musically! I remember "the old mall" in Santa Monica...used to go there a lot as a kid (Sears, too!) - but by the time I was older and driving, it had really gone downhill.

Over in the Palisades where I grew up, it was the Allegro record store - I would buy two singles a week there with my allowance (two bucks, I think!) and also pick up the latest 93-KHJ Top Thirty list (first Stones record was the Heartbreaker single in February '74!) Did that every week forever. The Allegro was gone by the end of the '70s and its replacement didn't last too long...that whole section of town was recently razed and replaced by one of those modern mall/high-end shopping developments - so much for the small town I grew up in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 07:58 by Jah Paul.

Date: February 10, 2019 08:26

Yeah Jah Paul, just like most of Santa Monica - hardly recognize the neighborhood I grew up in during the '60's and '70's -specifically Montana Avenue.

And yes the old mall went downhill in the late '70's/early '80's. When they built new Santa Monica Place at the south end of it in 1980, the rest of the old mall proper basically became a ghost town. I actually got a traffic violation for riding a moped up and down the old empty mall when I was about 17 haha. When they redid the old Santa Monica Mall and changed it to the Promenade, it lost much of it's old town charm and is now basically a fancy/expensive tourist trap, though I do go there on the rare occasion for old times sake while visiting my cousins and some friends who still live down there.

And speaking of Sears, I was caught stealing candy at there when I was about 7 - once a rebel, always a rebel, though I was more of a nuisance than anything else. grinning smiley

At least we our memories of those old times and places!

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: February 10, 2019 15:27

Hairball
And speaking of Sears, I was caught stealing candy at there when I was about 7 - once a rebel, always a rebel, though I was more of a nuisance than anything else. grinning smiley

Haha! Warren Buffet also shoplifted there...but he never got caught grinning smiley
One of his more unruly acts included shoplifting from the local Sears. "I wasn't doing it for any reason, except rebelling, and that ran out after a while," he says.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 10, 2019 18:06

I'm very very excited to be seeing him in a month. He's like literally the last realistic "giant" I've never seen from the 60s and 70s that I still can and he's toured long enough that I now have no other massive concert expenses this year so he will be it. Think I might have waited for a good tour too. Super upset that it seems unlikely he'll play Empty Garden when I see him at MSG. I knew it wasn't super set in stone, but I know he tends to play that there and despite the strict setlist for this tour I thought he might branch out for that special occasion. I chose MSG as the place to see him for that reason but he didn't do it there back in October.

But other than that, a super minor negative about what otherwise looks like a phenomenal show. I've heard nothing but outstanding things about the tour since it started so I can't wait to that Elton fix.

Date: February 10, 2019 19:31

charlesbaudelaire
This is by far his best album. I'd love to see this show. I saw him live in 1983 and it was a fantastic show. The MFSL cd version of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road sounds just superb in my car stereo system. Unforgettable experience. Best MFSL ever!

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

huh?

the name of the album is GOODBYE yellow brick road. this tour is called FAREWELL yellow brick road. his best album is the tumbleweed connection anyways

Posted by: mg72 ()
Date: February 10, 2019 19:56

Saw him in 2013. Want to again.
What'll happen otherwise?
How am I going to feel?
My ticketsanta decided not to give me Elton.
Grown up watching The Lion King.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 21:05 by mg72.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 10, 2019 23:47

FrogSugar
Hairball

Haha! Warren Buffet also shoplifted there...but he never got caught grinning smiley
One of his more unruly acts included shoplifting from the local Sears. "I wasn't doing it for any reason, except rebelling, and that ran out after a while," he says.

So now we see why Sears is closing its stores: because of Hairball and Warren Buffett!!

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 23:48 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 11, 2019 02:40

Man I barely paid attention until I saw him in 2014 and that was a great show then saw the free guerilla show in 2016 and then opening night at Staples and last night at the Forum, also great shows.

His band is great and he clearly loves performing.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: February 14, 2019 18:11

Going Saturday night at Allstate Arena, what time should I expect him onstage?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 14, 2019 18:15

mnewman505
Going Saturday night at Allstate Arena, what time should I expect him onstage?

The show I went to was called for 8:00. The lights went out (intro) at 8:10 and played until a few minutes after 11:00PM.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: February 15, 2019 04:25

He's just sold out 4 Gigs in New Zealand for a year away, in like an hour.

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: February 16, 2019 00:52

Reaching out for some TM advice for Elton John tix... I have someone from Craigslist offering great seats for Elton John @ Allstate in Rosemont. They are offering to sell them for $100 each which is a great price and they said the transfer would be handled through Ticketmaster. I just need to provide the seller my name & email address to initiate.

Obviously, my worst fear is being scammed and I couldnt't get through to anyone at Ticketmaster.

Just wondering if anyone has gone through the transfer process and if this sounds legit?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 16, 2019 00:57

wineaux
Reaching out for some TM advice for Elton John tix... I have someone from Craigslist offering great seats for Elton John @ Allstate in Rosemont. They are offering to sell them for $100 each which is a great price and they said the transfer would be handled through Ticketmaster. I just need to provide the seller my name & email address to initiate.

Obviously, my worst fear is being scammed and I couldnt't get through to anyone at Ticketmaster.

Just wondering if anyone has gone through the transfer process and if this sounds legit?

I'd be careful with Craigslist. Keep trying to get through to ticketbastard. this one sounds a little fishy to me. the cost is real low for elton secondary market tickets.

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: February 16, 2019 01:21

I know... there's a few red flags. I just got off the phone with TM and the rep said that everything the seller has said so far is legit, so if all goes well, we'll be seeing Sir Elton John!

Thanks for your input!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home