Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 13
Re: OT: Elton John Announces Retirement Tour
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 31, 2018 16:57

keefriffhard4life
ycagwywpmd
crholmstrom
i enjoyed his vegas show. i went same weekend as the stones in 2012. his voice is kind of shot but he has a great band. best part of vegas show was him telling stories between songs. elton was my first concert in 197cough cough. not somebody i listen to a lot now but still like some of his stuff. yellow brick, tumbleweed, madman etc. i'm going to pass on this tour, too much money. i'd rather keep the vegas show i saw as the last impression of him.
This couldn't be more different from September 99 when I saw him on a 'solo concert tour'. On stage for the entire evening was a piano, piano stool and Elton John. Nothing, or nobody else. All evening was 'play play play, sing sing sing' with barely a mumbled 'good evening' or 'goodbye'. Then it was probably pick up pay cheque, helicopter home and in bed with cup of cocoa before we had walked back to the car park.
His lack of congeniality was palpable, the lack of atmosphere helped to make it the most disappointing concert I have ever been to. I try to be benevolent, he had just had heart surgery, and had his financial problems of course.
Poor chap.........
But don't think I'll be trying for a final show ticket.....

wow what a strange experience you had. I saw him around 2002 and he had a full band and was telling lots of stories. some so long that a fan yelled "just get to the songs" and Elton replied "sorry I've been known to ramble a bit"
Yeah, I saw him in 2002 with Billy Joel and they were both great. Lots of camaraderie and goofing around.

Date: August 31, 2018 17:59

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
FrogSugar
hbwriter
too bad he's scamming like this now- just a trick to sell tickets and create urgency - I thought he was better than this - worse than motley crue

Mötley Crüe?! (how dare you forget the umlauts!). There was urgency though, they haven't toured since and nothing suggests that they ever will. Kiss, Scorpions and Ozzy, however, are very much guilty of pulling the retirement tour crap.

they will never tour again. the crue might play 1 show for some special occasion but we will never see a big long tour from them again
Motley Crue is the one band I can see not breaking their word. The hatred between certain members is palpable.

yup but nikki and tommy are working on music for something. maybe a few new songs for the crue movie coming out soon. would be nice to have them round album all of the import only tracks, b sides, the 2 digital singles and a few new tunes and release it as a single cd. "American zero" is one of the bands best post 1995 songs

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 31, 2018 18:01

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
FrogSugar
hbwriter
too bad he's scamming like this now- just a trick to sell tickets and create urgency - I thought he was better than this - worse than motley crue

Mötley Crüe?! (how dare you forget the umlauts!). There was urgency though, they haven't toured since and nothing suggests that they ever will. Kiss, Scorpions and Ozzy, however, are very much guilty of pulling the retirement tour crap.

they will never tour again. the crue might play 1 show for some special occasion but we will never see a big long tour from them again
Motley Crue is the one band I can see not breaking their word. The hatred between certain members is palpable.

yup but nikki and tommy are working on music for something. maybe a few new songs for the crue movie coming out soon. would be nice to have them round album all of the import only tracks, b sides, the 2 digital singles and a few new tunes and release it as a single cd. "American zero" is one of the bands best post 1995 songs
Yeah I was really surprised to see Nikki and Tommy together...Tommy said that Nikki unfollowed him on Twitter the day after their tour ended, and that he was really hurt by that.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 31, 2018 18:12

DandelionPowderman
FrogSugar
hbwriter

Add Status Quo and The Who to that group..

And the Eagles.

As for Elton, I think he'll stick to his word - at least as far as massive tours go.
He'll probably still play one-off award shows, charity events, etc., though, and if he gets bored at home maybe another mini/limited Vegas residency or something similar.

Re: OT: Elton John - Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 31, 2018 22:54

Does it really matter if these guys stick to their word or not? Unless you're paying top dollar and its your favorite band (then yes, I understand the gripe), you're basically paying what you'd pay for any other tour. Doesn't really matter what its called. I have less of a problem with the "farewell card" than bands continuing without key members these days like the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan and many many others.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 1, 2018 04:27

I am going to see him in Louisville, Kentucky at the KFC Yum! Center on October 23. Really looking forward to it.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 26, 2018 23:14

New batch of cities just announced. Big Western Canada tour with 2 shows in each city. Amex presales start tomorrow so I'll try to get Vancouver tickets.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 27, 2018 13:35

DGA35
New batch of cities just announced. Big Western Canada tour with 2 shows in each city. Amex presales start tomorrow so I'll try to get Vancouver tickets.

Tacoma Washington, a year from now. Both shows middle of week, a traffic nightmare.

Date: September 27, 2018 22:04

Just picked up 2 lower bowl tickets for the second Vancouver show via Amex presales. I wanted tickets for Saturday night first show but there were only single seats left.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: September 27, 2018 22:35

crholmstrom
DGA35

Tacoma Washington, a year from now. Both shows middle of week, a traffic nightmare.

Yup. Going to have to find a few Tacoma coffee shops to work “from home” from that day, no chance I’m driving to Tacoma at rush hour.

Date: September 28, 2018 01:13

I heard Tacomadome sucks for acoustics? Was there ever any sports team that played out of there? A buddy of mine drove down from BC to see Scorpions, I believe, about a year ago. For a concert it could probably hold 20k?
Nice to see Key Arena is getting another renovation and hopefully an NHL team in a couple years. Will make a good rivalry with the Canucks. Hopefully Seattle will get another NBA team either by another team moving or expansion.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 28, 2018 11:42

DGA35
I heard Tacomadome sucks for acoustics? Was there ever any sports team that played out of there? A buddy of mine drove down from BC to see Scorpions, I believe, about a year ago. For a concert it could probably hold 20k?
Nice to see Key Arena is getting another renovation and hopefully an NHL team in a couple years. Will make a good rivalry with the Canucks. Hopefully Seattle will get another NBA team either by another team moving or expansion.

Some shows sound fantastic in the T Dome, others are horrible. It's a strange venue. The roof is wood so you don't get horrible echo. The Sonics played there during the last Keyarena remodel. It has bad sight lines for sports but ok for shows. Its just the location makes it terrible to get to, especially during the week. Weekend isn't a picnic but doable. I'm going to Fleetwood Mac there in November. I just can't justify a bunch of money for a show a year from now. I saw Elton in Vegas in 2012 & I can be happy leaving it at that.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: September 29, 2018 07:36

DGA35
Nice to see Key Arena is getting another renovation and hopefully an NHL team in a couple years. Will make a good rivalry with the Canucks. Hopefully Seattle will get another NBA team either by another team moving or

expansion.

I would like to see them play one stadium in Seattle, it's long over due.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 12, 2018 16:59

Really looking forward to seeing Elton in Boston next month. SO many great songs!

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 13, 2018 00:48

Saw Elton in 1986 when he was still coked and flamboyant with costume changes. Saw him again in 2014 and 2016. All the shows were great and the band is always on their game.

Scored 12th row floor aisle on Elton's side for the Saturday show in Vancouver next year, got 14th row for the Sunday, but I'll probably let that one go.

Nice to see he's doing 'Take Me to the Pilot' - hope he keeps it in the setlist by the time he comes around.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 13, 2018 01:05

Come to think of it - Sir Hercules is the only one in the British pop aristocracy that actually plays an instrument.
Sir Roderick, Sir Ivan, Sir James, Sir Michael or Sir Harry don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-13 01:22 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 15, 2018 14:39

Sir Ray has been known to strap on an acoustic...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 16, 2018 20:36

Thanks, Adrian. I missed Sir Raymond. Apparently he was knighted last year. And yes, he can play the guitar!

Date: November 7, 2018 20:23

I saw Elton at the Boston Garden last night (Nov. 6), and he was truly outstanding. Musically, visually - just everything - top notch. One of the best shows I've seen in a long time - maybe ever. At times he can 'paint by numbers' but make no mistake - his band can rock, hard. 2nd set may have lagged a bit behind the first half - but man, the 1st half was amazing. Rocket Man went on for what seemed like 10 minutes, with a great riff going between Elton and stellar guitarist Davey Johnstone. Likewise - Levon was the one other song where they 'went off script' for an extended jam which was simply epic.
Great visuals throughout. And they were LOUD (someone else mentioned that somewhere). Tough (and expensive!) ticket - this was the 2nd Boston show in two months, and they were both sold out clean. If you get the chance to see him - GO! Really impressive. 5 stars.

Date: November 7, 2018 22:15

DEmerson
I saw Elton at the Boston Garden last night (Nov. 6), and he was truly outstanding. Musically, visually - just everything - top notch. One of the best shows I've seen in a long time - maybe ever. At times he can 'paint by numbers' but make no mistake - his band can rock, hard. 2nd set may have lagged a bit behind the first half - but man, the 1st half was amazing. Rocket Man went on for what seemed like 10 minutes, with a great riff going between Elton and stellar guitarist Davey Johnstone. Likewise - Levon was the one other song where they 'went off script' for an extended jam which was simply epic.
Great visuals throughout. And they were LOUD (someone else mentioned that somewhere). Tough (and expensive!) ticket - this was the 2nd Boston show in two months, and they were both sold out clean. If you get the chance to see him - GO! Really impressive. 5 stars.

How long did he play for? Was there an opening act? Looking forward to both Vancouover shows.

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: November 7, 2018 22:29

Stoneage
Come to think of it - Sir Hercules is the only one in the British pop aristocracy that actually plays an instrument.

Sir Ivan (Van Morrison) plays sax and also guitar on some songs live. A great singer/songwriter/musician but an absolutely horrible man. Have seen him live several times over the years but will never do so again after witnessing his treatment of a young fan who tried to present him with a birthday cake on stage. The full story is too distressing to repeat.

If I ever meet The Queen (which is very unlikely), I will say "Your Majesty, why did you knight that total dickhead Van Morrison?"...confused smiley

Date: November 7, 2018 23:36

DGAS - Elton hit the stage just after the 8p advertised start time and played until almost 11 (no opener) so about 2-3/4 hours!

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 8, 2018 19:02

Stoneage

Sir Paul?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 9, 2018 15:24

rebelrebel
Stoneage

Sir Paul?

Yeah,he can play a little.....LOL

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 9, 2018 19:37

DEmerson
Rocket Man went on for what seemed like 10 minutes, with a great riff going between Elton and stellar guitarist Davey Johnstone. Likewise - Levon was the one other song where they 'went off script' for an extended jam which was simply epic.

I'm jealous! Judging what you wrote and the clips I've seen on YouTube (like below) it sounds like an amazing show.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 16, 2018 04:15

Quite an amazing video Elton released today.
[www.youtube.com]

Made me want to go to one of his last concerts, and buy my kid a piano cool smiley

I forget what concert the Stones did a similar thing with "Time is on my Side", flashing back to earlier versions of them playing it on the screens ('81 ?)

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: November 16, 2018 04:45

I'll be seeing him in Cleveland... a year from now! Still, I'm very excited, the last big concert on my bucket list.

Also, has anybody seen that he's selling tickets as far in advance as December of 2020??!!

Date: January 25, 2019 00:57

Elton just announced a third show in Vancouver a couple days after his original two which I'm sure will sell out fast. I believe he will only be the second artist to ever do 3 shows at Rogers Arena since Garth Brooks did 3 back in the late 90s.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 25, 2019 01:14

DGA35
Elton just announced a third show in Vancouver a couple days after his original two which I'm sure will sell out fast. I believe he will only be the second artist to ever do 3 shows at Rogers Arena since Garth Brooks did 3 back in the late 90s.

Far out. Women are going to these shows ^^. I know 2 women that went to Elton John in Oakland (last weekend?)
Go figure.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 25, 2019 01:43

Have tickets for the Feb. 2nd show

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home