Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13
OT: Elton John - Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 24, 2018 23:00

Elton John Announces Farewell Yellow Brick Road Retirement Tour

David LaChapelle

[www.billboard.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-23 03:56 by bye bye johnny.

Re: OT: Elton John Announces Retirement Tour
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 24, 2018 23:37

dont make sense. if hes no longer wanting to tour, why do a long 3 year, 300 city massive tour. to commit yourself to that amount of work, might make him not want to give up touring,so why anounce otherwise. he could do a smaller schedule. his comments are a complete contradiction.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: January 25, 2018 00:14

Most farewell tours go on for years and years........

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 25, 2018 00:16

He want to be with his kids....well they have to wait an other 4 year or so........

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 25, 2018 00:27

He's on the extremely short list of 60s and 70s legends I've never seen. He's maybe the only realistic one left, since I finally crossed Tom Petty and Bob Dylan off my list last year. Guess all those years of waiting means this is the one I'll have to take so count me in. Give me him, Nigel Olsson and Davey Johnstone and I'll have fun with flamboyant Elton John and his 30-40 hits for a night. Really hope he plays some deep cuts similar to his 60th birthday concert. Those 70s albums are just phenomenally great.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 25, 2018 00:44

buttons67
dont make sense. if hes no longer wanting to tour, why do a long 3 year, 300 city massive tour. to commit yourself to that amount of work, might make him not want to give up touring,so why anounce otherwise. he could do a smaller schedule. his comments are a complete contradiction.

Nice way to fill the $tadium$ for him... 300 times.
I've passed on countless opportunities to see him over the decades, and it's even got me considering it.. think I would opt for one of his remaining Vegas shows though if I did though..

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 25, 2018 00:48

This reminds me of Cher's farewell tour that spanned 3 years! Just kept going on and on and more dates kept getting added.
For Elton, it'll probably be about 200 cities with some seeing 2 shows to make up the 300 total shows. I'm assuming he'll play Vancouver/ Western Canada so I'll try and see him, assuming tickets aren't too expensive!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 25, 2018 00:58

My wife and I saw him twice in the last decade - both times in in Hawaii - and while I was a bit indifferent before seeing him the first time, I was completely won over and had a great time. Having grown up with a sister who owned and played all of his albums all of the time in the early-mid '70's, not to mention hearing all of it on the radio all of the time back then, those hits are absolutely great to see and hear in a live setting. And with several band members from that era touring with him - including guitarist Davey Johnstone - it was about as good as it gets.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 25, 2018 02:23

too bad he's scamming like this now- just a trick to sell tickets and create urgency - I thought he was better than this - worse than motley crue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-25 02:23 by hbwriter.

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: January 25, 2018 03:00

hbwriter
too bad he's scamming like this now- just a trick to sell tickets and create urgency - I thought he was better than this - worse than motley crue

Voila ,ya nailed it mate. Or did ya ?? it is what it is. I really did think he was a bit more classy than this. however saying this he has and still does so much for his charity's in London and the world so maybe at the age 70 plus he just wants to be with his friends & family. bugger that's a thought wouldn't ya say.
maybe next time think before you speak...

Date: January 25, 2018 04:24

DGA35
This reminds me of Cher's farewell tour that spanned 3 years! Just kept going on and on and more dates kept getting added.
For Elton, it'll probably be about 200 cities with some seeing 2 shows to make up the 300 total shows. I'm assuming he'll play Vancouver/ Western Canada so I'll try and see him, assuming tickets aren't too expensive!

Having just read the article:

He also added that he will not be returning to the road after the tour wraps, telling Cooper, “I’m not Cher, even though I like wearing her clothes — this is the end.”

AND:

John said now “the time is right to say thank you to my fans,” launching his tour at the PPL Center in Allentown, Pennsylvania, followed by arena shows at New York's Madison Square Garden (Oct. 18-19), Amway Center in Orlando (Nov. 27) and Staples Center (Jan. 22-23, 2019).

Sounds like it will be a great show:

John promises an over-the-top production this tour that will visually and musically take fans through his decades-long career

Tickets will probably be very expensive - maybe not compared to the Stones - but probably more than I'd be willing to pay to see him again.
When my wife and I saw him at Blaisdell Arena in Hawaii, both times there was no real spectacle whatsoever other than in house lighting that I recall- it was all about the music

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 25, 2018 06:26

Elton's just doing a Johnny Farnham ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 25, 2018 06:48

Elton has been a tireless, prolific workaholic for years...touring every year, recording new albums, several outside projects (musicals, etc.). For someone who loves to perform as much as he does, it makes perfect sense to embark on a long farewell. And since he'll be 74 when the tour ends, I do believe this will be it.

Date: January 25, 2018 06:57

Hairball
Tickets will probably be very expensive - maybe not compared to the Stones - but probably more than I'd be willing to pay to see him again.
When my wife and I saw him at Blaisdell Arena in Hawaii, both times there was no real spectacle whatsoever other than in house lighting that I recall- it was all about the music

According to current Ticketmaster I think top dollar will be about $250. Kinda seems right, sadly, with today's prices. I know I've turned him down in past years cause top was $180 and just too much. I'll try and snag a $150 ticket if possible this go around.

Also, to those saying they're surprised or its not classy, this is Elton John. He loves a spectacle and big hoopla over something. Not really trying to defend him, just saying this seems very much in his style to do a big farewell similar to a Cher or something.

Date: January 25, 2018 08:18

Can't imagine saying this ten years ago, but $250 top price actually seems reasonable - thought it would be more than that.
Considering Clapton was charging up to $500 at his recent L.A. shows, and the Stones charge an arm and a leg (and even a kidney for VIP) in the US, $250 to see Elton and his grand finale seems like a bargain.
Might go for some mid-range semi-cheapo seats ...I know my wife would love to see him again, and as the saying goes - a happy wife is a happy life. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-25 08:20 by Hairball.

Date: January 25, 2018 17:26

Can only speak for MSG, but the great side lowers are $250 before fees. Looks like across the stage other side of the arena lowers (101-105, 119 & 120) are $150. And good upper level side seats are $150 as well. Obviously there are many other packages and platinum tickets that exceed the $250 mark, but by the looks of it MSG at least is mainly $150 and $250 seats for this show. Pretty much the reason I've turned him down in the past is I didn't want to spend $180 (what his last few MSG shows have been) and I guess this will be no different. I'll pay it this time though to see him before he's gone.

Gotta say, I'm very happy I saw most of these big name legends between 2005-2012 when the top price was generally no more than $150. The list of people I've had to pay more than that for is very short. Now $250 seems to be the new norm, probably so these guys can get one last great payday, but I'm happy I snuck in before it got too ridiculous IMO. $250, unless ya really love them and want to see them from incredible seats once, seems like a lot for anybody.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-25 17:33 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 25, 2018 17:50

I saw Billy Joel and Elton John in Hartford in 2002...great show. I might go see Elton a final time depending on the price, which I imagine will be astronomical.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 25, 2018 18:02

RollingFreak
Can only speak for MSG, but the great side lowers are $250 before fees. Looks like across the stage other side of the arena lowers (101-105, 119 & 120) are $150. And good upper level side seats are $150 as well. Obviously there are many other packages and platinum tickets that exceed the $250 mark, but by the looks of it MSG at least is mainly $150 and $250 seats for this show. Pretty much the reason I've turned him down in the past is I didn't want to spend $180 (what his last few MSG shows have been) and I guess this will be no different. I'll pay it this time though to see him before he's gone.

Gotta say, I'm very happy I saw most of these big name legends between 2005-2012 when the top price was generally no more than $150. The list of people I've had to pay more than that for is very short. Now $250 seems to be the new norm, probably so these guys can get one last great payday, but I'm happy I snuck in before it got too ridiculous IMO. $250, unless ya really love them and want to see them from incredible seats once, seems like a lot for anybody.

Some of the New Orleans Saints season tickets - as well as pre-season - are $250! That's 10 games!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 25, 2018 18:15

Elton John, Neil Diamond, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Slayer all made retiring announcements within the same week.

There’s a shift in the business.

Posted by: zgredzik ()
Date: January 25, 2018 18:18

BowieStone
Elton John, Neil Diamond, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Slayer all made retiring announcements within the same week.

..and the Stones are still Rolling winking smiley

call them the tumbling dice grinning smiley

Date: January 25, 2018 18:22

Skynyrd did? Lol, why even bother?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 25, 2018 18:38

BowieStone

I forgot Skynrd were still around.

Add the no surprise retirement of Rush to that, although that's as a band, not from touring.

Skynrd will have Kid Rock as an opener from what it sounds like. How lifting. I guess their grasping at making the tour work by having so many different opening acts:

Kid Rock
Hank Williams Jr
Bad Company
Charlie Daniels Band
Marshall Tucker Band
38 Special
Blackberry Smoke
Blackfoot

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 25, 2018 19:36

hbwriter

Voila ,ya nailed it mate. Or did ya ?? it is what it is. I really did think he was a bit more classy than this. however saying this he has and still does so much for his charity's in London and the world so maybe at the age 70 plus he just wants to be with his friends & family. bugger that's a thought wouldn't ya say.
maybe next time think before you speak...

I think it is Elton John who should think before he speaks. He would not have made himself sound so rediculous if he would only have said that the upcoming three years will be his final tour. If, at his age, he wants to spend more time with his kids, he should not go on tour altogether. The man made his musical mark in history, but his "excuse" is total b*llsh*t.
Remember the "This is it" drama of Michael? The tour that never was ...
Elton, be wise (if your kids are really so important)!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 25, 2018 20:05

DGA35

Goodness me. How many Decades would it take The Stones to do 300 shows?.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 25, 2018 21:14

Tickets for next January are already on sale. The window for buying arena shows gets longer and longer. The acts get to collect interest in addition to the high prices.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 25, 2018 22:52

BowieStone

More the gradual winding down of an era that lasted far longer than anyone could have imagined 40 or even 25 years ago.

A workaholic only stops working when forced to by ill health.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 11:29 by bv.

Date: January 31, 2018 19:56

VIP seats in the first 10 rows for Staples Center priced at $1,475.00 + fees.
Who does he think he is...the Rolling Stones!

One of the perks of the package:

"Unforgettable On-Stage VIP Photo Opportunity at Elton John’s Piano"

(***** Elton John does not participate in any VIP-related activities. VIP Packages do not include a Meet & Greet with Elton John).

lol

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 31, 2018 20:24

I'm traditionally more of a geetar player than a pianist, tho I can play a little piano. It's only two feet high. Kidding, I kid.
The thing is, I've plenty of old keyboards! Wurly was my main-stay but there are Korg and Yamahas too!!
So....
if anyone wants to take a picture of any of them when I'm not around, for a really very small fee, commensurate with my very limited success, admittedly...
well, all i can say is this offer will NOT be available for very long.
So write me EZ payment info!!!!
I'll save you travel expenses!
...I have my cell-phone cam right ready. By this very evening you could have pictures of an old Korg M1,
an ancient Wurlitzer and various Kawaii's (and Yamahas) that people dump on me, I mean, share with me, um...over the years.
Ok. Make up any price you want!!
Just be sure to add some (several) extra 'zeros' after whatever number, k?
ty.

Posted by: Tuna44 ()
Date: January 31, 2018 20:27

I just got tickets for the first night show in Philadelphia, PA. Sitting upstairs, fourth row, side stage even with the front of the stage, and the tickets only cost me $55.00 before fees. In this day in age for big acts like this, that's a steal!! Look at U2, The Eagles, The Stones, Adele. You won't be finding any non-obstructive seats in the upper bowls for their shows for $55.00. I'm really looking forward to this!

Date: January 31, 2018 20:38

Tuna44
I just got tickets for the first night show in Philadelphia, PA. Sitting upstairs, fourth row, side stage even with the front of the stage, and the tickets only cost me $55.00 before fees. In this day in age for big acts like this, that's a steal!! Look at U2, The Eagles, The Stones, Adele. You won't be finding any non-obstructive seats in the upper bowls for their shows for $55.00. I'm really looking forward to this!

This will be my plan - go for some cheapies if possible.
For an Elton John show, it's more about the music than being close to his piano.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1182
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home