Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT- Pearl Jam
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 23, 2018 15:26

Pearl Jam to headline in Seattle, pledges $1 million to fight homelessness

"Pearl Jam will perform two shows in Seattle this August and is pledging $1 million toward local homelessness initiatives with a goal of raising $10 million total.

“The Home Shows” will be held August 8 and 10 at Safeco Field. This will be the “Even Flow” artists’ first hometown appearance in five years and the largest headlining concert event in Seattle since the Rolling Stones’ two-night stint at the Kingdome in 1981.

In a statement released this morning, the band challenged “everyone to join them” in their drive to raise $10 million for homeless initiatives across King County in 2018.

Lead guitarist Stone Gossard spoke to the responsibility the band has in giving back to the city that gave them their start."

Have never been a huge fan, but over the years here in Seattle, hard not to become at least a casual fan of the hometown band.
In reading this article about the concerts that they are planning to raise money for the homeless here, the line "the largest headlining concert event in Seattle since the Rolling Stones’ two-night stint at the Kingdome in 1981 brought a smile, both in remembering those great concerts, and for the fact that I wouldn't have guessed they would still hold a record for "largest headlining concert event" here this many years later.

Good on PJ for giving back to the community..
May try to attend one of these shows

[www.bellinghamherald.com]

Re: OT- Pearl Jam
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 24, 2018 01:30

Pearl Jam have been eternally classy.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: January 24, 2018 02:19

I wish them a lot of success !

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 30, 2018 00:02

I'm 2 weeks out from seeing Pearl Jam on Friday 8/10. 2nd of 2 "Homestand" shows. Some of the proceeds are going to benefit the homeless situation in Seattle. I saw PJ a real lot back in the day but it has been awhile & I'm pretty excited. They are still an excellent live band (+ Eddie Vedder lives a few blocks down the street from me). The next day is an all day celebration/free show for the 30th anniversary of Sub Pop records. 4 stages around Alki Beach in Seattle. Lots of good bands (Mudhoney, Father John Misty, Beach House to name a few). About 2 miles from my house. I haven't seen any live music since October due to some serious health issues so am looking forward to it. Will need to pace myself though.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 30, 2018 02:00

Our local politicians here in Seattle have let our city go to hell in
a hand basket. Thank you Pearl Jam for stepping up to the plate.

Date: July 30, 2018 02:42

Midnight Toker
Our local politicians here in Seattle have let our city go to hell in
a hand basket. Thank you Pearl Jam for stepping up to the plate.

& the people who elect them. throwing money with no or little accountability at the problem obviously isn't the answer. word is out on the hobo hotline that seattle is easy pickings now like san francisco. i've lived in seattle most of my life & i'm thinking strongly about getting out. its not the seattle i know any more. the tax situation & traffic are totally out of control. i'll be dead before they get it straightened out, if ever. sure are doing a lot for amazon considering that they don't like to pay taxes. a perfect example of how this town dysfunctions: the arena situation. they had a guy willing to pay for a brand new state of the art arena in an area where traffic & parking aren't an issue. but noooooo. we have to redo an arena that's as old as me again in the most congested area of the city. rampant stupidity. don't get me started, haha.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 30, 2018 04:27

RollingFreak
Pearl Jam have been eternally classy.
Very classy band, have stayed together (drummers aside) for almost 30 years, integrity to spare...that's one band I still need to cross off my concert list.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 9, 2019 20:04

[www.youtube.com]

Eddie Vedder - Here Comes the Sun (Port Elizabeth, South Africa, 12/5/2018)

Eddie at his best sharing the music as always

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 9, 2019 22:16

crholmstrom
don't get me started, haha.

What about the weather... (cough cough) grinning smiley

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: January 10, 2019 00:22

i was lucky enough to see Pearl Jam twice (my third and fourth time over all - there visits to the UK are pretty infrequent) at the O2 in London in the summer. Both the June night and July (rescheduled following Eddie's throat problem on the first night) were excellent. 27 songs on night one, 33 on night two (three hours the latter). I've been listening to these shows a lot since picking up the official bootlegs late last year. Only NINE songs were played both nights. PJ are my second love after the Stones, highly recommended and (as noted above) constant line up, drummers aside, for approaching 30 years now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-10 00:22 by yorkshirestone.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 10, 2019 08:34

Great band,

Saw them first in 1996 and lastly in 2013, always a good live band, they vary the set lists a lot which is great. I saw Neil Young on the mirrorball tour before seeing pearl jam and one only went because Pearl Jam guys were backing him. I left a convert of Neil at 15, and definitely ended up with more Neil Young records than pearl jam.

Eddie Vedder kicked me in the head stage diving in 2000 I think it was, he actually glanced round to make sure I wasn’t @#$%& up after it when he was on top of the crowd. Matt Cameron and Mike McCready walked past me at the MC50 show in Seattle last October. Mike McCready has walked past me a total of 3 times then, in a shop in Seattle & at a Guns N Roses gig in Seattle.....that’s my crappy PJ related trivia !

Date: January 10, 2019 14:31

Hihi, our bass player, who has quite a sophisticated ear, just loathes Pearl Jam.

Date: January 10, 2019 14:45

Paddy
Great band,

Saw them first in 1996 and lastly in 2013, always a good live band, they vary the set lists a lot which is great. I saw Neil Young on the mirrorball tour before seeing pearl jam and one only went because Pearl Jam guys were backing him. I left a convert of Neil at 15, and definitely ended up with more Neil Young records than pearl jam.

Eddie Vedder kicked me in the head stage diving in 2000 I think it was, he actually glanced round to make sure I wasn’t @#$%& up after it when he was on top of the crowd. Matt Cameron and Mike McCready walked past me at the MC50 show in Seattle last October. Mike McCready has walked past me a total of 3 times then, in a shop in Seattle & at a Guns N Roses gig in Seattle.....that’s my crappy PJ related trivia !

Eddie lives down the street from me. Literally has to drive by my kitchen window to go anywhere.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 10, 2019 15:05

Palace Revolution 2000
Hihi, our bass player, who has quite a sophisticated ear, just loathes Pearl Jam.

Well since you started this... To me unsophisticated ears they sound very "white" that is they don't swing. At all. Zilch. It's straight metronomic rock that I find boring.
Plus they fired the best drummer they had (Dave Abbruzzese who did have some swing in him) in favor of Matt Cameron who is solid, reliable, but terminally boring and machine-like (imo).

Sure McCready is some sort of a "Guitar Center" virtuoso but that doesn't move me either.

Date: January 10, 2019 15:20

«who is solid, reliable, but terminally boring and machine-like»

Sounds a bit like another guy we know...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 10, 2019 15:31

crholmstrom
Paddy
Great band,

Eddie lives down the street from me. Literally has to drive by my kitchen window to go anywhere.

You should pay him a neighborly visit it looks like he has a cool house [www.youtube.com] !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: January 10, 2019 16:19

dcba
Palace Revolution 2000

Well since you started this... To me unsophisticated ears they sound very "white" that is they don't swing. At all. Zilch. It's straight metronomic rock that I find boring.
Plus they fired the best drummer they had (Dave Abbruzzese who did have some swing in him) in favor of Matt Cameron who is solid, reliable, but terminally boring and machine-like (imo).

Sure McCready is some sort of a "Guitar Center" virtuoso but that doesn't move me either.
Oh I totally agree with dcba. I;ve never quite (but only quite) understood the praise that Matt Cameron gets. IMO a very boring musician; and also agreed that Abbruzzese was far better.
I don't quite know what it is about PJ. Obviously their huge cannon is Eddie. Without him, there is not much left. the non-swing...IMO again Cameron is the issue. Because Jeff Ament can definitely walk a line, and the two guitarists aren't half bad. Eddie has passion to burn; sometimes almost too much. Maybe they've released too many albums.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: January 10, 2019 20:17

I'm not a fan of the band's music.
I am a fan of any band that does this type of event.

Date: January 10, 2019 20:40

[www.youtube.com]

Pearl Jam - Given To Fly - Sao Paulo 12-03-05 - PRO SHOT

Mike may be a guitar center poser but Stone is the rock and together they sure rock.

Date: January 10, 2019 20:47

Mike and Stone play interesting guitar parts as they play many different guitar voicing with their songs - At first you would think playing their songs would not be interesting with the grunge tonal sounds and chords etc. But I dived into their music when we moved to the north west and got most of their albums and live shows. For me what is interesting is how they use different chord voicings as a basis to write their songs. They might use the same chord over and over with different voicings and playing all over the fretboard.

Date: January 11, 2019 10:18

gotdablouse
crholmstrom
Paddy
Great band,

You should pay him a neighborly visit it looks like he has a cool house [www.youtube.com] !

ya, puget sound is his front yard. nice!

Date: October 17, 2019 19:51

[www.youtube.com]

Guitar Lesson: How To Play Life Wasted By Pearl Jam - By Stone Gossard

starts at 1.40 - He uses the capo at 4th fret but does not capo the low E string which is cool and plays the F# at the 2nd fret going over the capo to start the little riff after the opening chords. Fun to play.

Date: October 24, 2019 20:15

[www.youtube.com]

Stone Gossard & Brad - Bayleaf (Firenze, 2/24/2013

From Stone,s solo record Bayleaf - sounds awesome like Neil Young and Crazy Horse

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 25, 2019 00:07

Nice gesture,however,the crappy liberals in power are totally clueless
and has left a once great city,sucking big time.

The homeless and huge # of tent cities are poppong up EVERYWHERE.The
city of Seattle and surrounding suburbs, are a complete mess.

Date: October 25, 2019 00:29

I am in Downtown Portland and every morning I have to navigate the tents, needles and homeless as I jog in the Pearl district. Feel your pain listening to PJ helps my politics are conservative and I will not elaborate so I do not offend anyone and music transcends bias and hatred and enriches life

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: October 25, 2019 02:13

Yeah I was in Portland last week and I was astounded by the number of homeless people and obviously mentally disturbed people on the streets. It was sad. Homelessness is on the rise where I live too (London) but nowhere near the scale of the problem in Portland.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 25, 2019 19:22

Never a listener of this group, their songs and singer just never appealed. I am curious as to why they have their own satellite radio channel.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: October 25, 2019 20:20

dmay
Never a listener of this group, their songs and singer just never appealed. I am curious as to why they have their own satellite radio channel.

because they have a large enough fan-base to support/justify it?

I have no idea how SatRadio works...people pay for it, I think.

I don't.

"Rearviewmirror" is a Top Ten All Time Tune.....Top 3 if you are just out of a bad relationship.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: October 25, 2019 22:16

rumours of more european dates next summer - hope this comes off. They seem to like summers in Europe, whilst just adding a couple of massive baseball gigs in the US afterwards

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: October 25, 2019 22:48

yorkshirestone
rumours of more european dates next summer - hope this comes off. They seem to like summers in Europe, whilst just adding a couple of massive baseball gigs in the US afterwards

The last proper US arena tour was in 2014... I know we’ve had a handful of stadium gigs since, but it almost always requires lengthy traveling to the gig, unless you live in a particularly lucky US city.

I get it if they’re not interested in 40 shows in 8 weeks or whatever anymore, but even a _slight_ increase in the number of US shows would be extremely welcome.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home