Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Same band, same song, 2 opposite versions
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 21, 2018 04:16

Friend of the devil - Greatful Dead
We will rock you - Queen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-21 04:17 by Koen.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 21, 2018 04:17

As a teacher for music at school I used the Country Honk / Honky Tonk Women example to illustrate cover versions. The funny thing is that non-Stones-fans preferred the cpuntry Version. Everybody liked the fiddle by Byron Berline and imitated by further listening the beep of the car honk!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 21, 2018 18:20

She's So Cold. No matter when they've played it live, they destroy it.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 21, 2018 23:54

Play With Fire and As Tears Go By. More recent live versions played with drums. I would like to hear them play these two like the studio versions.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 22, 2018 00:07

GasLightStreet

Beep. Wrong. You haven´t been to Arnhem last year, obviously.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: January 22, 2018 01:54

David Bowie:

Re-makes were recorded with different musicians in the studio so they don't qualify as the same band, but there are at least two different versions of
John, I'm Only Dancing (1972 and 1974)
Rebel Rebel (album version and single version are different)
Cat People (movie soundtrack and Let's Dance album track)

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: January 22, 2018 15:54

Hairball
Neil Young - almost same song with different title - one acoustic one mega-electric.
Slightly different lyrics in the opening passages only:

Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) - electric version
Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye.
Hey hey, my my.

My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue) - acoustic version
My my, hey hey
Rock and roll is here to stay
It's better to burn out
Than to fade away
My my, hey hey.

+ Rocking in the Free World (acoustic and electric versions on Freedom)

Also, a bit more obscure but there are two songs on Sleeps With Angels album that feature the same backing track but have different lyrics and melodies. I didn't notice until someone told me! I think the songs are Western Hero and Train Of Love.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 22, 2018 16:17

Pianist David Lanz had a double album called "Skyline Firedance" back in the late 80's. Both discs had largely the same songs on it but one was just solo piano, the second was fully orchestrated.

Bassist Victor Wooten had a double album called "Yin-Yang" in the 90's where the first album was instrumental and the second was many of the same songs but this time with lyrics.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 22, 2018 16:55

TooTough
GasLightStreet

Hear, hear, TooTough.

my dear GLS: that'll be a hit on the hand, and a knock on the knuckles for you...

Date: January 22, 2018 17:02

GasLightStreet
Sipuncula
IORR live vs. studio is completely different.

Of course the live arrangements evolve also. Sympathy live 1969 vs. 1989- (or 1989 vs. 2007 winking smiley )

Of course. The biggest one since it gets played the most!

SFTD devolved in 1989! And it hasn't changed since! At least the 1975/76 version, which is different enough from the 1969 version, is preserved on LOVE YOU LIVE and LA FRIDAY.

Well,they did decide to perform the "complete lyrics versions" without skipping verses from October of 1994 up until 1999.

Then they changed the pre-recorded loop in 2005.

Otherwise,I would basically agree.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 22, 2018 17:06

I Just Wanna Make Love to You: studio high speed; Flashpoint sloooooow.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 22, 2018 17:08

JJF and Too Tough?

Date: January 22, 2018 18:31

TooTough
GasLightStreet

The show where Mick said "I think we should do one of the others". They've never played it in the seminal way the LP version is - the dynamics, the guitaring. Live it's just a bunch of noisy riffing. They just plow through it.

So... I'm right.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 22, 2018 18:36

Frank Sinatra doing Night and Day:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 22, 2018 19:06

likecats
David Bowie:

Re-makes were recorded with different musicians in the studio so they don't qualify as the same band, but there are at least two different versions of
John, I'm Only Dancing (1972 and 1974)
Rebel Rebel (album version and single version are different)
Cat People (movie soundtrack and Let's Dance album track)

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but Bowie completely re-recorded 'Rebel Rebel' in 2003 for his 'Reality' album & tour.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 22, 2018 19:28

I think people are missing the point here.....

Date: January 22, 2018 19:29

More Hot Rocks
I think people are missing the point here.....

How do you mean? I figured it was the studio version and then live it's completely different, as in, nothing like the studio version.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 23, 2018 19:20

studio Out Of Control
live different arrangement with trumpet intermezzo, which I really like, esp. in 1997/1998

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 23, 2018 20:22

Paul Rogers on his "Muddy Water Blues: A Tribute to Muddy Waters" album did two completely different takes of "Good Morning Little School Girl". A slower version has Jeff Beck on guitar and a more rock version has Richie Sambora on guitar. Both are good but I prefer the version with Beck.

w/ Jeff Beck:
[www.youtube.com]

w/ Richie Sambora:
[www.youtube.com]

Peace,

Mr DJA

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: January 23, 2018 21:29

Guns N Roses. Don't Cry. Two versions. Same music / different lyrics on Use Your Illusion I and II.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 23, 2018 21:52

George Harrison put two versions of "Isn't It A Pity" on All Things Must Pass

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 23, 2018 22:57

Not the same band, but same songwriter...Sting's 'Shadows in the Rain' - the slower Police version and later the jazzy, uptempo rendition on his first solo album (with Darryl Jones on bass).

Date: January 24, 2018 01:04

What about Time is on my Side?

From Wikipedia "The Rolling Stones recorded two versions of the song in 1964. The first version (a looser arrangement featuring a briefer, organ-only intro), recorded in London in June 1964, was released in the US in 1964, as a single from their album 12 X 5. The second version (more tightly arranged and featuring guitar in the intro), recorded in Chicago on November 8, 1964, was released in the UK on January 15, 1965 on The Rolling Stones No. 2. This is the version that receives airplay and appears on most "best of" compilations"

Date: January 24, 2018 02:53

Beatles - English and German versions of She Loves You and I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

David Lee Roth - "Sonrisa Salvaje" - the Spanish Language version of the entire Eat Em And Smile album.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: January 24, 2018 05:04

The Who-2 versions of "I'm a Boy"-single version and slower longer version released on Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
"Mary Anne with the Shaky Hands"-a fun little ditty that was acoustic on the Who Sell Out Album and electric on the b-side of "I Can see for Miles"

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 24, 2018 05:54

Springsteen has also changed up many songs live versus studio.

BUT he has a soft, acoustic version of a song called Blood Brothers as released AND a searing rock version of the same song, on limited release. Both are studio versions, both recorded at essentially the same time during the Greatest Hits recording sessions.

Of course, the song Born in the USA is available in several incantations from studio recordings as well - blues types, and as released.

Rod

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 24, 2018 10:00

The Stones performed blistering live versions of a rather boring studio track - Midnight rambler. I doubt if I listened more than two times to the album track while I never get tired of listening to all kinds of the live recordings.

The 'blues' live versions from 1969 (Hyde Park comes to mind) through 1971 (e.g. Leeds) are very different from those from 1973 onwards (Brussels comes to mind). I could never decide which arrangement I prefer, and I am happy that there are basically two different ones!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 24, 2018 15:09

HomerSimpson

From Wikipedia "The Rolling Stones recorded two versions of the song in 1964. The first version (a looser arrangement featuring a briefer, organ-only intro), recorded in London in June 1964, was released in the US in 1964, as a single from their album 12 X 5. The second version (more tightly arranged and featuring guitar in the intro), recorded in Chicago on November 8, 1964, was released in the UK on January 15, 1965 on The Rolling Stones No. 2. This is the version that receives airplay and appears on most "best of" compilations"

Yes. This should have been the first one to be thought of.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 24, 2018 15:15

HomerSimpson

I haven't heard any of them for years but if I remember correctly the differences between the TIOMS versions are not overwhelming.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: January 26, 2018 11:08

Very much live version by Bob Dylan differ very much from the original and there are songs where there exist differnet leive versions that are different, e.g. listen to Dylan Live At Budokan and compare the live Version to the studio versions.
The same can be said about lots of live versions by Lou Reed, especially Velvet Underground songs.
This was somthing normal in the late sixties and seventies!
Jimmy Page once said, that when Led Zeppelin released a Studio Version of a song, this was like the birth of a child. And then the child grew up on stage.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home