Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: King Of The Frontman ???
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 18, 2018 23:24

2120Wolf
As much as I like the Stones...Upon Further Review. I am thinking that Joe Strummer could be the King of The Frontman ????

That is YOUR truth, so who am I to dispute that?

Date: January 18, 2018 23:25

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
Mathijs
Keith to Scotty Moore: 'well, my lead singer is still alive'
Moore: 'what's his name?'
Keith: 'Can't remember!'

There's really nothing that's compares to Jagger. Iggy Pop is good as well but he can't carry a 3 hour show. Axl Rose was fantastic in the '80s.

Mathijs

when have the stones ever done a 3 hour show? mick jagger is usually on stage now max 80 minutes of the concert

More like 2 hours and 5 minutes.

when was that? He leaves 10 minutes or so for Keith. Another 10 minutes or so at various times added up. The entire band leaves at least 5 minutes before the encore. The shows are less than 2 hours total including the encore.

Date: January 18, 2018 23:27

Maindefender
keefriffhard4life
Mathijs

There's really nothing that's compares to Jagger. Iggy Pop is good as well but he can't carry a 3 hour show. Axl Rose was fantastic in the '80s.

Mathijs

mick jagger is usually on stage now max 80 minutes of the concert

Here comes the false news

see the post above for time breakdown. Shows are less than 2 hours now including the encore break and theres close to 25 minutes at various points jagger is off stage.

Either way the stones never did a 3 hour show so how did jagger carry them for 3 hours?

Date: January 18, 2018 23:49

The shows are all more than two hours. Mick is off stage for Keith's two numbers only (Round 10 minutes).

Hamburg 2017 was 2 hours 25 minutes
Amsterdam 2017 was 2 hours 10 minutes (approximately)

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 19, 2018 00:49

Brian Jones 1966
Kurt Cobain
Mick Jagger 1971-1976
Jim
Iggy
David
Paul Stanley 1973-1977
Hendrix 1966-1970
Prince

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 19, 2018 00:51

keefriffhard4life
Maindefender
keefriffhard4life
Mathijs

Mathijs

see the post above for time breakdown. Shows are less than 2 hours now including the encore break and theres close to 25 minutes at various points jagger is off stage.

Either way the stones never did a 3 hour show so how did jagger carry them for 3 hours?

Maybe he does the band's dirty sweaty laundry after each show? You know, the dirty work.

Date: January 19, 2018 00:54

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 19, 2018 01:01

keefriffhard4life
Maindefender
keefriffhard4life
Mathijs

Mathijs

Body double?? Mick, if you're reading this.......ahh forget itspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 19, 2018 01:23

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 19, 2018 01:27

Probably Springsteen, though I'm not a fan.
But he engages the audience for a loooong time.
And I know I am in the minority on this forum in saying this, but Jagger would have been better if they had put a leash on him and made him sing the damn songs instead of running around and shouting/barking, etc.
He was so much better on the small stages back in the day.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: January 19, 2018 01:27

ab
Iggy Pop dusts them all!
thumbs up

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 19, 2018 01:29

2120Wolf
Leonioid
keefriff99
rollmops
Now that James Brown and Prince are gone Mick Jagger is the king. After all those years, after thousands of shows, he has never fell down once physically and figuratively. Mick is the ONE.
Rockandroll,
Mops

thumbs upthumbs up

I've meant to ask this before but it seemed an odd question...

Has ANYONE ever seen Mick even so much as stumble or trip himself up in over 50 years of performing? I can't recall ever seeing it in any live footage.

Not that I have seen.
Mick Jagger is somewhat astounding. He appears to be more dedicated to appearing effortless at being so great at what he does than anyone I have ever seen or heard of. It is no accident he is still this good at 50-60-70 what ever age he is... he works his ass off.

Mick is "the natural"... He is a natural born great who also trains harder and works harder than anyone, and it makes him untouchable.

Dang it... hot smiley
Making me gush a like some teeny booper, blathering on and on...
I am too damned old and curmudgeonly to be doing this... yet... here I am

We are so lucky to have him and the band.smileys with beer

STONES!!!

PS
I think the clinching factor is how funny Jagger is. He has it all, he does it all... and HE IS FUNNY! I have seen him live so many times and on streams etc etc and etc, and at every live show he says something funny... not obvious slapstick funny... but Jagger dry wry sense of humor funny. It is priceless.

plus add in.... that he never gets preachy. Live Stones shows are about fun! I have never been to (or seen) a Stones show where Mick didn't ask "IS EVERYONE HAVING A GOOD TIME!!!???"

Well if you like a guy prancing around like a 17 year old little bitch more power to ya....I prefer a hard driving rocker with something of importance to say...

lol... LOL!!!!

Date: January 19, 2018 01:31

2120Wolf
Hairball
As much as I love the Clash, I've never really considered Joe Strummer a 'frontman' in the traditional sense.
Mick Jones and Paul Simonon were just as important to their appearance on stage, and Mick Jones even sang lead on a number of their greatest tunes as well as writing them.

Long story short - Mick Jagger is the greatest - no question about it.

If you like a guy prancing around like a 17 year old little bitch more power to ya...I prefer a hard driving rocker with something of importance to say...

LOL!!! lmao...

Date: January 19, 2018 01:33

note to self- nice job not taking the ban baiters ban baitsmiling smiley

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: January 19, 2018 03:30

Peter wolf

Date: January 19, 2018 06:17

DandelionPowderman
The shows are all more than two hours. Mick is off stage for Keith's two numbers only (Round 10 minutes).

what has been the average length of a stones show since 2010? mick leaves several times for a change of clothes that I would guess add up to about 10 minutes.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 19, 2018 06:49

Back on topic:
Had the Stones played a much shorter set list throughout their entire career,
Mick would still be the #1 Frontman. He is that good.

Date: January 19, 2018 07:04

MKjan
Back on topic:
Had the Stones played a much shorter set list throughout their entire career,
Mick would still be the #1 Frontman. He is that good.

doesn't matter how long anyone played. my comment was strictly about someone mentioning mick carrying a show for 3 hours.

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: January 19, 2018 07:40

If we talk about connecting with the audience in the back of a stadium I think Jagger, Freddie and Michael Jackson takes the top 3.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 19, 2018 09:05

MichaelLassen
If we talk about connecting with the audience in the back of a stadium I think Jagger, Freddie and Michael Jackson takes the top 3.

Springsteen has been known to both connect with, and VISIT, the middle and the back of the arena, often with a band member or two in tow. THAT'S connection!

In Perth in 2014 for example he travelled about 80 meters to the back of the floor and stood on the sound mixers whilst still performing to the stands, now immediately to his front - those at the rear of the arena were now front row and went completely off!

Rod

Date: January 19, 2018 10:18

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman

what has been the average length of a stones show since 2010? mick leaves several times for a change of clothes that I would guess add up to about 10 minutes.

Since 2012, the average length has been over 2 hours. For a 19 songs-set, it's round 2 hours and 5 minutes, I guess

The long clothes changes don't happen anymore, as he will only put on a t-shirt or a jacket while talking to the audience, or do a change during Keith's numbers.

There are no long, extended solos anymore, and if there are, Mick is important visually for those numbers (Miss You, Rambler) - so he stays on stage.

Date: January 19, 2018 10:32

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman

Since 2012, the average length has been over 2 hours. For a 19 songs-set, it's round 2 hours and 5 minutes, I guess

The long clothes changes don't happen anymore, as he will only put on a t-shirt or a jacket while talking to the audience, or do a change during Keith's numbers.

There are no long, extended solos anymore, and if there are, Mick is important visually for those numbers (Miss You, Rambler) - so he stays on stage.

still when have the stones done 3 hour shows as the original post stated

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 19, 2018 10:33

King of the frontmen, surely? About Commander:

- connection with the audience: almost none
- stage talk: almost none or nothing of importance
- dancing or showmanship: well, he has his own style...
- conducting the band: well, there is not much he can do there

Surely the magic is somewhere else...

Date: January 19, 2018 10:38

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman

still when have the stones done 3 hour shows as the original post stated

I don't know. I didn't state that smiling smiley

Date: January 19, 2018 10:40

The most important feature a real frontman has to have is charisma. You can all the greatest moves, or looks, or accessories. Even the best songs, the tightest coolest band, and you are a hot dancer - if you don't bring out that indescribable excitement in anticipation. When you are waiting for someone to appear, and you just can not believe! that you are seeing them in the flesh. I have seen a lot of the big names. And I do confess that hype, or the right times can influence the impact a performer will have on me.
I was so excited to see the Arcade Fire on the 1st tour, or years and years back when I saw Frankie goes to Hollywood - only to walk out after 20 minutes; Guns N Roses that 1st tour after 'Appetite' when no one really knew who they were was really great. Prince during 'Purple Rain' tour. And I still think Liam Gallagher had charisma in heaps, w/o moving an inch.
But only Jagger w/ the Stones has ever really done a number on me.

That is a good observation about Jagger never having tripped up. Everything has always worked for him: when he wants to dramatically whip off a belt or a jacket, it always comes off perfectly. Hanging on that ladder in 75 inside the Lotus seems all good. I wish I had seen it when by accounts in 72 the road crew substituted a raw liver in his flower bowl.
Maybe that cage in '97, or was it '99. That was a bust. The only time I can think of him seeming a bit startled is with the groupies running on stage and jumping on him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-19 10:53 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 19, 2018 15:59

Palace Revolution 2000
The only time I can think of him seeming a bit startled is with the groupies running on stage and jumping on him.

This sentence instantly reminded me of this video!

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: January 19, 2018 16:10

Yes, i did see Mick fall on stage.
Greensboro 1975.
I remember he slipped and fell down while he was dancing around and then did it a second time on purpose to make it look like the first time was intentional.
I don't think there is even a bootleg of this show so i'm sure there's no video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-19 16:17 by nellcote'71.

Date: January 19, 2018 16:29

Stoneage
King of the frontmen, surely? About Commander:

- connection with the audience: almost none
- stage talk: almost none or nothing of importance
- dancing or showmanship: well, he has his own style...
- conducting the band: well, there is not much he can do there

Surely the magic is somewhere else...

eye popping smiley

Date: January 19, 2018 18:54

Jim Morrison was great, maybe the best. Jagger in the 70s.

Date: January 19, 2018 20:08

Kurt
Palace Revolution 2000
The only time I can think of him seeming a bit startled is with the groupies running on stage and jumping on him.

This sentence instantly reminded me of this video!

video: [www.youtube.com]
The visual I get from Mick and that is in the GS film during HTW when the girls tackle him, and he's bending over and singing.
The J Geils song I'd never seen. I know only ONE "Do I LOve You" song - and that is the Northern Soul classic by Frankie Wilson. One of my favorite songs in the world. [youtu.be]

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1674
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home