Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Epic live version of How Can I Stop
Date: January 16, 2018 14:49

How did I miss this?? I knew they played it at MSG, but haven't either heard it or seen the footage before. A nice version of Lowdown as well. How Can I Stop starts round the 1:05:50-mark:

[www.youtube.com]

The rest of the show:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-16 14:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Epic live version of How Can I Stop
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 16, 2018 15:41

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-16 15:49 by Stoneage.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 16, 2018 15:56

It seems like everybody in the crowd is just talking while Keith is pouring his heart out!
Is that what they do, in New York City?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 16, 2018 16:25

It's actually a nice song, but very boring too. You cannot do that on stage.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 16, 2018 16:38

Can hear why they didn't bother with Lowdown anymore - Mick had to sing so high for the chorus!

No bridge for that show. That's lame! That's some conversation Mick and Ronnie's having after IORR!

Date: January 16, 2018 16:39

Monsoon Ragoon

Ha ha, and you're saying that after Slipping Away was the song of the tour on No Filter? smiling smiley

Of course there are room for heartfelt ballads with soul, and some really nice jazzy stuff mixed in. I'll always welcome it...

Date: January 16, 2018 16:49

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

Ha ha, and you're saying that after Slipping Away was the song of the tour on No Filter? smiling smiley

Of course there are room for heartfelt ballads with soul, and some really nice jazzy stuff mixed in. I'll always welcome it...

The audience went so mad at MSG that he never did it again ;-) I'm not fan of Slipping Away but this works in a stadium. But the or some of the 2017 versions were very slow.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 16, 2018 17:02

Keith's mumbling ballads simply doesn't work in a stadium setting. It would maybe work in a theatre. Maybe...

Date: January 16, 2018 17:23

Stoneage
Keith's mumbling ballads simply doesn't work in a stadium setting. It would maybe work in a theatre. Maybe...

It worked both in Hamburg and in Amsterdam (90.000 and 60.000). In fact, Slipping Away worked so well that most of the people I talked to said it was the song of the tour (surprisingly, I must admit, but I don't disagree - it was awesome).

One musn't confuse not being too happy about a song and how it actually works in concert. I'm not a big fan of Out Of Control (studio version), for instance, but it has grown to be one of my favourites in concert..

Date: January 16, 2018 17:25

I thought it was strange that Keith did not do one of his BRIDGES songs on that tour for so long. I don't know what show number it was but it wasn't until mid-November that he started doing You Don't Have To Mean It.

And they played Anybody Seen My Baby? for every show in 1997 and barely played it in 1998.

Date: January 16, 2018 17:38

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

It worked both in Hamburg and in Amsterdam (90.000 and 60.000). In fact, Slipping Away worked so well that most of the people I talked to said it was the song of the tour (surprisingly, I must admit, but I don't disagree - it was awesome).

One musn't confuse not being too happy about a song and how it actually works in concert. I'm not a big fan of Out Of Control (studio version), for instance, but it has grown to be one of my favourites in concert..

Slipping Away live is (normally) a rather fast ballad and it works everywhere although I don't like it very much. How Can I Stop and Losing My Touch are very slow ballad which would not work anywhere. (Even the theatre folks want an energetic show, no funeral - that's why they also don't play Ventilator Blues or Slave in the end although they rehearsed these sometimes.)

Date: January 16, 2018 17:40

GasLightStreet
I thought it was strange that Keith did not do one of his BRIDGES songs on that tour for so long. I don't know what show number it was but it wasn't until mid-November that he started doing You Don't Have To Mean It.

And they played Anybody Seen My Baby? for every show in 1997 and barely played it in 1998.

Anybody Seen My Baby was also in 1998 played in most shows. In Amsterdam however they did it only at the first show.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 16, 2018 17:52

To my ears How can I stop and Slipping Away are complete different songs. Ballads, yes,
but one is made for singing and the other for crooning.
And yes, I've seen Slipping Away in 1995 in 2003 and in 2017 and each time it was great!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: January 16, 2018 18:14

Monsoon Ragoon
GasLightStreet

Anybody Seen My Baby was also in 1998 played in most shows. In Amsterdam however they did it only at the first show.

I did't look far enough. They played it very little in North America and Japan. For the European tour they played it a lot.

Date: January 16, 2018 18:19

Maybe it wasn't played in most US arenas, I didn't look. Anyway, who cares?

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: January 16, 2018 19:04

It's a great song and I always thought they had never played it live.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 16, 2018 19:10

Monsoon Ragoon
Maybe it wasn't played in most US arenas, I didn't look. Anyway, who cares?

A lot of people do.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: January 17, 2018 03:41

I was there......it didn't go over very well.......it's a nice song but not meant to be played live

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 17, 2018 16:52

Absolutely killer song by the riffmaster .Such a hypnotic feel to this ballad smiling smiley

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 18, 2018 10:56

I love these new shows that are put up on yt. Great! I could listen to Slippin' Away ALL day long, it is such a perfect song. Keith should sing 3 songs at every show.

MSG got Low Down, HCIS and that version of 19th Breakdown, cool.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 18, 2018 11:46

GasLightStreet
Can hear why they didn't bother with Lowdown anymore - Mick had to sing so high for the chorus!

No bridge for that show. That's lame! That's some conversation Mick and Ronnie's having after IORR!

There seems to be many technical problems, mainly with Wood's wireless system. Little Red Rooster is totally impromptu, totally unrehearsed.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 18, 2018 14:32

TheGreek
Absolutely killer song by the riffmaster .Such a hypnotic feel to this ballad smiling smiley

Yes Keef could resurrect this one for the upcoming 2018 shows... as long as he leaves all the guitar work to Ronnie. Obviously he cannot play the intricate riffs tothis tune anymore.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: January 19, 2018 10:51

GasLightStreet

He played Infamy right from the very first show on and almost all shows in 1997.

Date: January 19, 2018 11:00

Amazing how this now looks like a much younger version of the Stones. Keith is moving still w/ authority. And Jagger doesn't look so foolish.I can not say how much I love Jagger the way he is on those first 5 numbers - all business. I forgot that for years Ron was inaudible LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-19 11:04 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: January 19, 2018 15:02

RockingLonestar
GasLightStreet

He played Infamy right from the very first show on and almost all shows in 1997.

Just like how he played Take It So Hard on the DIRTY WORK tour?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 23, 2018 12:05

A great concert. On Lowdown it is remarkable, that Richards and Watts (and the rest of the band) are on fire, while Jagger sings as if he was hoping the song would stop as fast as possible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1469
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home