Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones Greatest Hits Vol I
Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: January 13, 2018 04:17

I found a copy of this at a local used vinyl store today. I have never seen this record before. My vinyl copy of Hot Rocks is missing the first LP, and this fills in most of the missing tracks. Canadian pressing from 1977.
Greatest Hits Volume I

Originally it was a 2 LP set, but the first record was issued individually. This is noted in the fine print on the back cover.

Re: Rolling Stones Greatest Hits Vol I
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 13, 2018 06:11

Do you have the single version, or the double album version?

Here's the double album version that has since been discontinued.

Rolling Stones Greatest Hits

Description says:

"A case of these were found from 1977 in a warehouse in New York".

I bought one of them brand new about 10 years ago - or around the time they were found.
Can't recall if it was the single or double album version as I just filed it in the album collection which is down at my studio - will check tomorrow.
I do recall the inner white paper sleeve(s) seemed aged a bit...vintage '77 ha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 06:12 by Hairball.

Date: January 13, 2018 21:27

I have the single disc. The first one.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 13, 2018 23:13

That LP set was a television ad only offering in the late 70s

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 14, 2018 00:11

It's too bad there were never any real bonafide GREATEST HITS VOL 3, VOL 4, VOL 5 etc released.

Date: January 17, 2018 01:41

Hadn't forgotten to check my copy...well yeah I did ...winking smiley...until today.
It is the double vinyl in a single sleeve:

Front cover w/John Lennon:

Back cover is identical to front, and says at the bottom 'Made from Masters of ABKCO Records, Inc", and below that 'RCA Corporation © 1977, ABKCO Records, Inc, New York, NY. Printed in USA.
Also an RCA logo that says 'Special Products' w/ a number that says DVL2 - 0268. No mention of single copy available or Canada.

As I remembered, the inner white paper sleeves are a bit aged/yellowing - especially on the edges - which doesn't show up in above pic. I remember when I bought it when they were rediscovered about ten years ago, the cover looked familiar...maybe I had seen it on the television ad only offering in the late 70s that was mentioned by donvis above, or maybe at a record store back then? Anyhow, kind of a cool time capsule/oddity after sitting in a warehouse since 1977.

Track listing Greatest Hits:

Not Fade Away
Tell Me
It's All Over Now
Good Times, Bad Times
Time Is On My Side
Heart Of Stone
The Last Time
Get Off Of My Cloud
(I Can Get No) Satisfaction
Play With Fire
I'm Free
As Tears Go By
19th Nervous Breakdown
Mother's Little Helper
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow
Paint It Black
Lady Jane
Let's Spend The Night Together
Ruby Tuesday
Dandelion
We Love You
She's A Rainbow
2,000 Light Years From Home
Jumping Jack Flash
Child Of The Moon
Street Fighting Man
Honky Tonk Woman
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Wild Horses
Brown Sugar

Date: January 17, 2018 01:50

It's funny how that's just basically HOT ROCKS with a couple of MORE HOT ROCKS racks included. Milk it milk it milk it...

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: January 17, 2018 08:00

If memory serves me well this was initially an Italian release as double-album which found it's way to Canada (2 single LPs) and Japan (again a double album). Somehow a counterpart to the "30 Grössten Hits" from Germany the year before. Rolled Gold was released in 1975 but without a doubt the "30 Grössten Hits" was succesful in Germany only a year later. So I guess the Greatest Hits were also succesful because it's far from being rare so quite a few units must have been sold.Milk it? Is it really 'milk it' when there was demand for it? Don't think so.

Date: January 17, 2018 08:30

Here's a copy of the Italian version from 1977: The Rolling Stones – 30 Greatest Hits

Below the track listing on this page > Stones < is a list of all 30 track versions from 1977/78 from many different countries - including US, Canada, Australia, Japan, Spain, etc., etc., etc., etc.......

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-17 08:34 by Hairball.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 17, 2018 08:33

GasLightStreet
It's funny how that's just basically HOT ROCKS with a couple of MORE HOT ROCKS racks included. Milk it milk it milk it...

Masters of Marketing lol; I bought EVERY 'greatest hits' type LP from them as they came. This is ALL, every track, such great, great stuff. I'm hopinmg the whole world as the generations and decades fly-by, will get these ground-breaking songs and performances in their personal purview.
I've never seen this one but did get HR and MORE Hot Rocks...
'Big Hits and Fazed Cookies....'

"Big Hits' Volumes One and Two, both double LP's if my memory is correct...
as were the Hot Rocks releaes. I LOVE and AdOre all of this stuff.

Date: January 17, 2018 18:02

hopkins
GasLightStreet

Masters of Marketing lol; I bought EVERY 'greatest hits' type LP from them as they came. This is ALL, every track, such great, great stuff. I'm hopinmg the whole world as the generations and decades fly-by, will get these ground-breaking songs and performances in their personal purview.
I've never seen this one but did get HR and MORE Hot Rocks...
'Big Hits and Fazed Cookies....'

"Big Hits' Volumes One and Two, both double LP's if my memory is correct...
as were the Hot Rocks releaes. I LOVE and AdOre all of this stuff.

Only HOT ROCKS and MORE HOT ROCKS are double albums. BIG HITS 1 and 2 are single LPs.

Date: January 17, 2018 18:12

These are even better, imo, but you need to have both smiling smiley

~original

~original

Date: January 18, 2018 01:39

Nice to see others have some info on this rare LP. Sounds great on my stereo setup, and as I said initially, it does a fine job of filling in the gaps created by missing the first LP on my copy of Hot Rocks vinyl.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 18, 2018 01:46

Hairball
Hadn't forgotten to check my copy...well yeah I did ...winking smiley...until today.
It is the double vinyl in a single sleeve:

Back cover is identical to front, and says at the bottom 'Made from Masters of ABKCO Records, Inc", and below that 'RCA Corporation © 1977, ABKCO Records, Inc, New York, NY. Printed in USA.

That's the one I have as well...picked it up at the Pasadena City College record swap meet years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home