Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1973 stage
Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: January 12, 2018 12:40

It's interesting how, for the 1973 Pacific tour they had screens in front of the amps and also a catwalk on top of the amps, but they didn't use this for the Eurpean tour.....

Re: 1973 stage
Date: January 12, 2018 12:56

The amps were boxed in, probably because of sun protection.

Catwalk, what do you mean?

~original

Date: January 12, 2018 14:23

There was a ladder that enabled Mick to walk above/behind the amps. You can see it in the photos from Hawaii and LA and I also read about it somewhere....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 12, 2018 15:06

DandelionPowderman
sun protection.

Newbie Q : don't tube amps fear everything but heat as they generate a copious amount of heat themselves?
Maybe the screens were a cheap way to give the stage a classy look?

Date: January 12, 2018 15:12

dcba
DandelionPowderman
sun protection.

Newbie Q : don't tube amps fear everything but heat as they generate a copious amount of heat themselves?
Maybe the screens were a cheap way to give the stage a classy look?

Could very well be, but they didn't continue that allegedly «amp-make up» for the euro tour..

The amps themselves are pretty fearless anyway, I guess grinning smiley

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 12, 2018 15:13

Check this page

looks like a swimming pool lader

Never heard of screens , or at least never saw a proof of their existence

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: January 12, 2018 15:14

Doc
Check this page

looks like a swimming pool lader

Never heard of screens , or at least never saw a proof of their existence

You can see the protection (not screens) in the pic I posted, right?

Date: January 12, 2018 15:16

Do we have pic with Mick using that ladder / standing on top of the amps?

Date: January 12, 2018 16:49

DandelionPowderman
Do we have pic with Mick using that ladder / standing on top of the amps?

Never saw any...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 12, 2018 17:18

For some reason I can't see DPs photo at all. By switching browsers I was finally able to see the photos at the link Doc provided. The ladder is visible in a few of the pictures and it does look very similar to a ladder used on the side of swimming pools.

The "screens" on the amps I think are the "boxed in" concept from DP's post. They too are clearly visible in some of Docs photos. Basically all you could see of the amps were the control nobs. I believe the Stones have done this on other tours as well... I just can't remember which ones to search for the photos for examples...

I would like to see a photo of Mick up on top of the amps...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: January 12, 2018 17:49

I believe that covering the backline in white was a visual concept : trying to make the band visible by having a clean white background on stage. The gigs were outdoors and daylight gigs, So a clean white background made the band more visible to the audience.

Resotele

Date: January 12, 2018 17:52

resotele
I believe that covering the backline in white was a visual concept : trying to make the band visible by having a clean white background on stage. The gigs were outdoors and daylight gigs, So a clean white background made the band more visible to the audience.

Resotele

Also my opinion

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: January 12, 2018 17:56

Why the hell would the Stones play daytime, outdoor gigs? This is the band that often showed up many hours late. I've always wondered/ have been very surprised that in an era basically at the peak of their debauchery and drug use they'd agree to play outside in the blazing sun

Date: January 12, 2018 18:24

Maybe they were jet lagged and at their best at this time of the day ;-)

Date: January 12, 2018 18:41

But there were night-time gigs too - the Sydney gig was at night, wasn't it?

Or were there two shows per day - an afternoon show and an evening show?

Would love to see some colour photos from the Sydney show but I don't think they exist (I've never been able to find any).

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 12, 2018 20:09

Gaetzi
Why the hell would the Stones play daytime, outdoor gigs? This is the band that often showed up many hours late. I've always wondered/ have been very surprised that in an era basically at the peak of their debauchery and drug use they'd agree to play outside in the blazing sun

you do know that throughout the 70's and into 81/82, they played many, many daytime outdoor gigs? Stadium shows back then were more often in the daytime. I don't know what it has to do with debauchery or drug use.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: January 12, 2018 22:29

Keith's skin back then says it all. Those guys were vampires. I can understand playing an indoor arena in the daytime but they literally didn't see the light of day. After staying up for a few days partying would any of us want to play a rock gig in broad daylight? I wouldn't.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 13, 2018 00:43

You can see the same stage set up in the Nic Ben Concert photos a few weeks earlier. I have a vague memory of Jagger walking along the raised light-lined walkway at that concert. It appears the amps have the same covers. Check out "Nicaraguan Benefit Concert Images."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home