Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: As The Crow Flies, Chris Robinson
Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: January 10, 2018 22:44

I just bought tickets to see this show in my neck of the woods...

As the Crow Flies
Featuring Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes, Marcus King, Audley Freed, Adam MacDougall, Andy Hess & Tony Leone

Chris Robinson has songs he wants to sing. As frontman for The Black Crowes—one of the most prolific and celebrated rock ’n’ roll bands of its generation—he co-wrote classics like “Jealous Again,” “Remedy,” “She Talks To Angels,” “Twice As Hard” and “Sometimes Salvation." With a desire to breathe new life into this storied repertoire, Robinson has gathered five musicians whose musical journeys intertwine with his own, including guitarists Marcus King and Audley Freed, keyboardist Adam MacDougall, bassist Andy Hess and drummer Tony Leone. Appropriately calling the band, As The Crow Flies, they’ll perform music from throughout Robinson’s history at a handful of select U.S. dates in Spring 2018 between tours with his primary outfit, the Chris Robinson Brotherhood.

Re: OT: As The Crow Flies, Chris Robinson
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 10, 2018 23:52

Shame he can't just call his brother up...

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: January 11, 2018 00:31

No doubt inspired by...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 11, 2018 03:03

roryfaninva
No doubt inspired by...

[www.youtube.com]

I thought it’s inspired more by the positive reception of Magpie Salute...Chris Robertson, Jealous Again indeed.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 11, 2018 16:10

It's a shame that Chris can't just be happy with his solo career. When I read this yesterday it reminded me of a combination of Mick's solo tour and Axl Rose's control grab of the GnR brand... Go out and hire backing musicians so you can play your classic songs and don't have to split the money with your bandmates.

Note: I could be wrong.

Torn as to if I'll make the effort to go see him in this incarnation... I enjoy him and the Crowes music but this just doesn't make me feel all that excited to support him with my time & $$$.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 11, 2018 16:52

Prefer hearing the Chris Robinson Brotherhood with Neal Casal great guitar playing then him playing Black Crowes songs.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: January 12, 2018 02:38

roryfaninva
No doubt inspired by...

[www.youtube.com]

Nice one roryfaninva, nice one son, nice one roryfaninva, let’s have another one! smoking smiley

Date: January 12, 2018 03:46

mr_dja
It's a shame that Chris can't just be happy with his solo career. When I read this yesterday it reminded me of a combination of Mick's solo tour and Axl Rose's control grab of the GnR brand... Go out and hire backing musicians so you can play your classic songs and don't have to split the money with your bandmates.

Note: I could be wrong.

Torn as to if I'll make the effort to go see him in this incarnation... I enjoy him and the Crowes music but this just doesn't make me feel all that excited to support him with my time & $$$.

the britherhoob is currently on hold while other members do projects so chris is doing this to tour and fill the time

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 12, 2018 06:31

I'm gonna go, he's actually singing the "hits" - which I didn't hear but like one or two of back in '07 with the Crowes, although it was still a good show. Maybe being happier makes him want to do it.

Posted by: steenhorst ()
Date: January 12, 2018 11:38

No date in France!?

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: January 12, 2018 18:39

Here is a recent interview with Chris from RS:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: January 12, 2018 18:40

Yeah Chris, we all know you are weird and proud of it!@
But that isn’t a good reason to be a dick about it and rubbing it in his brothers face with this band!
Sorry, Im not liking Chris these days.
His “Im an artists, doing what I want” schtick is not a good excuse, for whats happening here.
Chris Robinson's "Bitter-hood"!!
Albeit, I will still probably go see this band, DOH!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 18:42 by spikenyc.

Date: January 12, 2018 19:34

spikenyc
Yeah Chris, we all know you are weird and proud of it!@
But that isn’t a good reason to be a dick about it and rubbing it in his brothers face with this band!
Sorry, Im not liking Chris these days.
His “Im an artists, doing what I want” schtick is not a good excuse, for whats happening here.
Chris Robinson's "Bitter-hood"!!
Albeit, I will still probably go see this band, DOH!!!

Chris Robinson's "Bitter-hood"... I like it! Actually, I like your whole post and think you've done a better job of voicing some of my own thoughts than I could have done myself.

I wish I hadn't read the article linked above. I'm now kind of glad that the closest "As The Crow Flies" will be to me is over an hour away... If they were in my hometown, I'd probably be tempted enough to go see them. I don't think the temptation will be enough to get me in my car heading to Chattanooga for this one. I'm glad I have the memories of seeing the Crowes when I did and think that will be good enough to last me for a while longer. That and a whole bunch of their CDs!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 12, 2018 20:15

Love the Black Crowes, love the Magpie Salute, not feeling much love for CR and his cosmic adventures these days...

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 12, 2018 21:34

I am a big Crowes fan and was sad when they finally broke up this last time. From reading interviews with Chris, his brother Rich and some of the other ex Crowes it sounds like the breakup had something to do with money and Chris wanting the lions share making some of the other band members employees.

Chris also often says shite about his brother depending on what interview you read/listen to.

He was on the Howard Stern show on Sirius/ XM radio recently and called Magpie Salute a cover band to mock his brother and now he is going to tour playing Crowes songs so I have hard time taking him serious.

He may be ahole at times but I do love the Crowes music and would see him play the Crowes if he ever comes close to Boston.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 13, 2018 16:43

I too am a big black Crowes fan. And I too am also very irritated with Chris. He is a fantastic singer no doubt about it. But reading the interviews and articles about the break up it’s very depressing to read Chris’s roll in all of this. Then when magpie salute started up he was disparaging calling them a crowes cover band. It was interesting to read Rich’s response, him saying that he is playing the songs that he wrote. Interesting, Rich obviously was the primary song writer with the melodies and Chris more than likely most of the lyrics. I went to see magpie salute and they were phenomenal! Then you have interviews with Chris saying that he doesn’t really want to play the Black Crowes songs, they aren’t his passion, etc. Now suddenly he’s going to tour and play only black Crowes. Jealous again? I won’t be going to see him. No desire. I saw magpie salute And they were excellent. Organic, and everyone on stage clearly loved the music. Why would I pay money to go see Chris, who says that it’s gross to play The Black Crowes just for money, when that is what he is obviously doing. He’s kind of a jerk! Now it is like a battle of the best black Crowes bands. And again magpie salute wins having Mark ford! Case closed.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: January 13, 2018 17:30

Yes, Marc Ford is the key. For me, Eddie Harsch was also key. Now he is gone, less chances of seeing the great Black Crowes. I think something similar about the stones. Since there is no Hopkins or McLagan or Stew or Preston, and Taylor (Ford in the Crowes), they are not as great as they were. Key back members

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 13, 2018 18:07

Yes in the battle of the best black Crowes cover bands any band with Mark ford wins. And frankly rich too because his guitar sound is such a huge part of the crows. And rich still likes to rock hard. Whereas Chris is stuck in his dead mode and doesn’t have that passion and grit behind him to rock out like he used to.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 13, 2018 18:41

Having watched enough of the recent video(s) of CRB doing the Stones, what a waste of time. It reminded me of Phish covering the Stones: completely pointless.

What The Black Crowes did was killer (although I didn't care for everything they did, the hippy jam shit). Their last album was outstanding, as good if not better than TSH&MC, which was arguably, to me, anyway, their best LP up until BTF...UTF (although I think I have yet to hear UTF).

It's a shame Chris Robinson is such a hypocrite.

Date: January 13, 2018 19:17

"As the SHIT Flies"!!
>grinning smiley<

Date: January 13, 2018 19:21

whitem8
I too am a big black Crowes fan. And I too am also very irritated with Chris. He is a fantastic singer no doubt about it. But reading the interviews and articles about the break up it’s very depressing to read Chris’s roll in all of this. Then when magpie salute started up he was disparaging calling them a crowes cover band. It was interesting to read Rich’s response, him saying that he is playing the songs that he wrote. Interesting, Rich obviously was the primary song writer with the melodies and Chris more than likely most of the lyrics. I went to see magpie salute and they were phenomenal! Then you have interviews with Chris saying that he doesn’t really want to play the Black Crowes songs, they aren’t his passion, etc. Now suddenly he’s going to tour and play only black Crowes. Jealous again? I won’t be going to see him. No desire. I saw magpie salute And they were excellent. Organic, and everyone on stage clearly loved the music. Why would I pay money to go see Chris, who says that it’s gross to play The Black Crowes just for money, when that is what he is obviously doing. He’s kind of a jerk! Now it is like a battle of the best black Crowes bands. And again magpie salute wins having Mark ford! Case closed.

Totally agree with you on this. But I will still go see this band, just becasue I love Black Crowes music and the other members in the band.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 14, 2018 02:18

whitem8

Chris is sick a Hypocrite! Makes cracks about Magpie Salute trying to feed their families, yet his own greed is what broke up the Crowes!?! Laughable...glad I saw them I. ‘92 & 95 and 2005...that was the Crowes.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: January 18, 2018 14:49

Joe Perry & Friends "Fortunate One" with Chris Robinson at Roxy Jan 16, 2018

[youtu.be]

Date: January 18, 2018 15:17

bonddm

[youtu.be]

Thanks for sharing... My 2nd Favorite guitarist. C'mon Joe, bring a band other than Aerosmith to Knoxville and I'm THERE.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 18, 2018 18:59

bonddm

[youtu.be]

WOW! looks like a fun night in LA.
thx for posting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home