Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: A fantastic RS article/review Jan.09 2018
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 12, 2018 21:32

I think they could easily put together a set post-81 of great songs. They haven't been consistent, but their best songs from that era easily compare to their 73-78 era, if not the 68-72 era.
Or they could re-work some of their classics -- like they did a long time ago with SFTD, or the times they did Satisfaction a different way.
They are just their very own tribute band right now. It can be a great show, but it's not really art.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 12, 2018 21:39

Believe it or not,
I am fresh off listening past JJF opener on Oct. 22 2017
Out in the sunny street,
I made it to ‘Dancing With Mr. D’ line
‘She looked at me nasty out the side of her eyes’
turned it off, because like the song says,
Mercy
IORR- I don’t ever remember liking this song so much, nor have I ever heard Mick sing it low and sexy like that,
‘Tumbling Dice’ after the break/ is it a roll,
the guitars were fantastic they were playing it out WOW
THERE IS NO PARTY ANYWHERE EVER LIKE A ROLLING STONES SHOW

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 12, 2018 21:40

Imagine a setlist like this. I like it, but I fear the casual fans prefer the real existing ones.

Satisfaction
Let Me Down Slow
Doom And Gloom
One Hit
Tumbling Dice
Bitch
The Under Assistent West Coast Promotion Man
Mixed Emotions
Beast Of Burden
Streets Of Love
Out Of Tears
Hate To See You Go
Kansas City
Honky Tonk Women
Happy
Can't Be Seen
Midnight Rambler
Sexdrive
Start Me Up
Rough Justice
Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 21:52 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 12, 2018 21:45

wonderboy
I think they could easily put together a set post-81 of great songs. They haven't been consistent, but their best songs from that era easily compare to their 73-78 era, if not the 68-72 era.
Or they could re-work some of their classics -- like they did a long time ago with SFTD, or the times they did Satisfaction a different way.
They are just their very own tribute band right now. It can be a great show, but it's not really art.

It would be amazing to see an all acoustic "unplugged" show ala Stripped that spans their entire career (including some of the latter era)- but a majority of the general public wouldn't be as interested as these warhorse arena/stadium extravaganza's are. They'd be able to sell out many theaters, but arenas might be a stretch and stadiums would be out of the question. If there's no profit involved, it's not worth their time, and can't blame them really at their old age. Maybe a 10 day run at a theater in London would be the answer...document it and release it as they did with Shine A Light, and that's how they could make some money.

Date: January 12, 2018 21:50

My mistake

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 21:50 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: January 12, 2018 21:52

Monsoon Ragoon
Imagine a setlist like this. I like it, but I fear the casual fans prefer the real existing ones.

Satisfaction
Let Me Down Slow
Doom And Gloom
One Hit
Tumbling Dice
Bitch
Mixed Emotions
Beast Of Burden
Streets Of Love
Out Of Tears
Hate To See You Go
Kansas City
Honky Tonk Women
Midnight Rambler
Sexdrive
Start Me Up
Rough Justice
Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil

That seems to be a happy medium between the old and new, and might work...there's enough of the classic stuff the casual fan could still be happy about.
But you left out Keith's set...maybe that would make the casual fan even happier? Or maybe Keith's "set" could be limited to Kansas City, but I'd really like to see him play Happy again as I'm sure many casual fans would too!

EDIT: OK I see you edited your original post and inserted Happy and a few other minor changes. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 21:54 by Hairball.

Date: January 12, 2018 21:58

Hairball
Monsoon Ragoon

Satisfaction
Let Me Down Slow
Doom And Gloom
One Hit
Tumbling Dice
Bitch
Mixed Emotions
Beast Of Burden
Streets Of Love
Out Of Tears
Hate To See You Go
Kansas City
Honky Tonk Women
Midnight Rambler
Sexdrive
Start Me Up
Rough Justice
Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil

That seems to be a happy medium between the old and new, and might work...there's enough of the classic stuff the casual fan could still be happy about.
But you left out Keith's set...maybe that would make the casual fan even happier? Or maybe Keith's "set" could be limited to Kansas City, but I'd really like to see him play Happy again as I'm sure many casual fans would too!

EDIT: OK I see you edited your original post and inserted Happy and a few other minor changes. thumbs up

Yeah, I forgot Keith' set

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 12, 2018 23:25

Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
Then I stand corrected and that was a reasonably nice setlist!
Aside from the blues covers at that show though, the newest original was the nearly 20 year old Out of Control, followed by Slipping Away which is nearly 30 years old.
The rest were oldies but goodies, with a majority of them being the tried and true warhorses. Still wonder why they dropped Play With Fire - thought it should have been a keeper!

I don't think they dropped it, Hairball. With the Stones there is something like "a special song for (a) special person(s) on (be it very rare) occasions". They take you by surprise! And if that happens, you're not "just" on the clouds, no, you feel like floating freely in the Universe!

Lol...

Based on memory though, and I could be wrong, but it seems some of the tours start with something "special" in the setlist in the first show (or two), and then it disappears. I Wanna Be Your Man for example...wasn't that dropped after they played it once during 50 and Counting? That said, looking at the San Diego opener setlist for '15, I don't see anything really "special" other than Moonlight Mile, but I believe it stayed in the setlist at least for awhile? There was also All Down the Line which I suppose could be considered "special", but I'm pretty sure I've seen them play that many times in the past- probably mostly during the Licks tour, and not sure if it was kept in the Zip Code tour after San Diego. Maybe I'm confusing them dropping a "special" song with the fact that they simply shorten the setlist as in the recent No Filter tour which I think started with 22 and eventually settled at 20....or something like that.

Hairball,
Just drift back to 2002/2003. Just one example (there are a couple more ...!) was the club show in Chicago: "Don't look back". Do you really think that they were seriously considering to have that song on any setlist at any time? No, this was one of those surprise songs for someone special. Trust me, you may lol, but I happen to know a little more than you may think. Off course in the case of "Play with fire" I would not bet for a hundred percent, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Date: January 13, 2018 00:56

georgie48
Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
Aside from the blues covers at that show though, the newest original was the nearly 20 year old Out of Control, followed by Slipping Away which is nearly 30 years old.
The rest were oldies but goodies, with a majority of them being the tried and true warhorses. Still wonder why they dropped Play With Fire - thought it should have been a keeper!

I don't think they dropped it, Hairball. With the Stones there is something like "a special song for (a) special person(s) on (be it very rare) occasions". They take you by surprise! And if that happens, you're not "just" on the clouds, no, you feel like floating freely in the Universe!

Lol...

Based on memory though, and I could be wrong, but it seems some of the tours start with something "special" in the setlist in the first show (or two), and then it disappears. I Wanna Be Your Man for example...wasn't that dropped after they played it once during 50 and Counting? That said, looking at the San Diego opener setlist for '15, I don't see anything really "special" other than Moonlight Mile, but I believe it stayed in the setlist at least for awhile? There was also All Down the Line which I suppose could be considered "special", but I'm pretty sure I've seen them play that many times in the past- probably mostly during the Licks tour, and not sure if it was kept in the Zip Code tour after San Diego. Maybe I'm confusing them dropping a "special" song with the fact that they simply shorten the setlist as in the recent No Filter tour which I think started with 22 and eventually settled at 20....or something like that.

Hairball,
Just drift back to 2002/2003. Just one example (there are a couple more ...!) was the club show in Chicago: "Don't look back". Do you really think that they were seriously considering to have that song on any setlist at any time? No, this was one of those surprise songs for someone special. Trust me, you may lol, but I happen to know a little more than you may think. Off course in the case of "Play with fire" I would not bet for a hundred percent, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I trust you georgie, and while I'm not sure if they considered playing Don't Look Back beyond that Chicago club show, I'll take your word for it. That said, it might have been nice of them to play it at several other club/theater shows throughout the Licks tour! Didn't they try and play Marley's Get Up Stand Up a few times that tour? Or was that at the beginning of the ABB tour? Whenever it was, and if memory serves, it didn't last long in the setlist - but I could be wrong.

EDIT - I see it was only played four times during the ABB tour.
Based on this video I can understand why they stopped playing it - not a very good cover imo although the false ending is kind of cool.

The Rolling Stones - Get Up Stand Up - Toronto Live 2005 OFFICIAL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 01:16 by Hairball.

Date: January 13, 2018 07:25

Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
georgie48
Hairball

Lol...

Hairball,

I trust you georgie, and while I'm not sure if they considered playing Don't Look Back beyond that Chicago club show, I'll take your word for it. That said, it might have been nice of them to play it at several other club/theater shows throughout the Licks tour! Didn't they try and play Marley's Get Up Stand Up a few times that tour? Or was that at the beginning of the ABB tour? Whenever it was, and if memory serves, it didn't last long in the setlist - but I could be wrong.

Based on this video I can understand why they stopped playing it - not a very good cover imo although the false ending is kind of cool.

YEAH, interesting that you mention Marley's famous song. I remember being surprised too. I have no idea what was behind that. Okay, Keith is a big reggae fan, but ...
"Night time" on the other hand clearly was an hommage to Ray Charles, but many expected that they might do a David Bowie song after he passed away, but they didn't. Let's not forget, that the Stones are human and have their moods and emotions, which can lead to agreements and disagreements among eachother. During AAB they did a couple of songs, that didn't last long either. But when the setlist changes over night just before a show, something "happened". And I know that for sure smileys with beer

Date: January 13, 2018 08:53

I cannot imagine them doing a Bowie song. That's a totally different area.

confused smileyRe: A fantastic RS article/review Jan.09 2018
Date: January 13, 2018 13:13

Monsoon Ragoon

I agree with you, but there are a few Bowie songs, that the Stones could have handled well in their own "Stonesy way", maybe. How about The Jean Genie, for instance? For some silly reason (?) that song reminded me of "Grown up wrong" confused smiley

Date: January 13, 2018 13:58

Koen
By James Brown smoking smiley

I forgot to respond on the article ... yes, Love35, very nice indeed, BUT what's wrong with English journalists/reporters??? Brown is certainly not the first one, but he also did a very bad job on history reviewing! To Keith, and he is fully entitled to say and feel so, the Stones are Ian's band, but whatever way you look at it ... Brian Jones was the founder of the band, the original motivator and he gave the band it's name. Mick? Come on you English, is it because Brian was "sort of Welsh?" or what? Don't try to rewrite history, you cvcksvckers! It's not going to work. An apology from Brown would be at place, so his article can be booked as "very good".
I've always loved England, but these kind of "mistakes" really p*ss me off thumbs down

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 13, 2018 14:10

Monsoon Ragoon
They can do a cover of Bowie's LSTNT cover in a much better way smileys with beer

Date: January 13, 2018 14:14

georgie48
Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
georgie48
Hairball

Lol...

Hairball,

YEAH, interesting that you mention Marley's famous song. I remember being surprised too. I have no idea what was behind that. Okay, Keith is a big reggae fan, but ...
"Night time" on the other hand clearly was an hommage to Ray Charles, but many expected that they might do a David Bowie song after he passed away, but they didn't. Let's not forget, that the Stones are human and have their moods and emotions, which can lead to agreements and disagreements among eachother. During AAB they did a couple of songs, that didn't last long either. But when the setlist changes over night just before a show, something "happened". And I know that for sure smileys with beer

Marley's AND Tosh's famous song.

Date: January 13, 2018 16:55

"It was lovely hearing Play With Fire, Under My Thumb, Dancing With Mr D, Shine A Light, Just Your Fool and Ride 'Em On Down on this tour"

‘Out of Control’
‘Beast of Burden’
‘She’s A Rainbow’
‘Like A Rolling Stone’
‘Hate To See You Go’
‘Con Le Mie Lacrime’
‘Rocks Off’
‘You Got Me Rockin’
‘Heartbreaker’
‘Get Off Of My Cloud’
‘Sweet Virginia’
‘She’s So Cold’
‘Let’s Spend The Night Together’
‘Angie’

Date: January 13, 2018 17:05

It would be interesting to know what this writer thinks about stones fans who think Oasis were as good as the Stones and comparable bands.

Date: January 13, 2018 18:23

35love
"It was lovely hearing Play With Fire, Under My Thumb, Dancing With Mr D, Shine A Light, Just Your Fool and Ride 'Em On Down on this tour"

‘Out of Control’
‘Beast of Burden’
‘She’s A Rainbow’
‘Like A Rolling Stone’
‘Hate To See You Go’
‘Con Le Mie Lacrime’
‘Rocks Off’
‘You Got Me Rockin’
‘Heartbreaker’
‘Get Off Of My Cloud’
‘Sweet Virginia’
‘She’s So Cold’
‘Angie’

Most of them have been played more than just a couple of times, partly very often since their (re)appearances in the 90s or 00s.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: January 13, 2018 19:07

georgie48
Koen

I forgot to respond on the article ... yes, Love35, very nice indeed, BUT what's wrong with English journalists/reporters??? Brown is certainly not the first one, but he also did a very bad job on history reviewing! To Keith, and he is fully entitled to say and feel so, the Stones are Ian's band, but whatever way you look at it ... Brian Jones was the founder of the band, the original motivator and he gave the band it's name. Mick? Come on you English, is it because Brian was "sort of Welsh?" or what? Don't try to rewrite history, you cvcksvckers! It's not going to work. An apology from Brown would be at place, so his article can be booked as "very good".
I've always loved England, but these kind of "mistakes" really p*ss me off thumbs down

Firstly, thanks for posting this article 35love, an interesting read.
Secondly, georgie48, I too was annoyed by the inaccuracies, so much so that I didn't post my opinions, after all, my rant wouldn't change what JB wrote, would it? I'm very surprised though it took so long for anyone to pick up on it. But georgie48, your comment 'come on you English' 'or what' has lit a fire under me......
I'm so tired of all the inaccuracies that abound in articles these days, written by 'professionals', after all, facts are facts, and as stated, we can't rewrite history. It puts me in mind of the inaccurate-plaque-at-Dartford-Station-fiasco, I see there was a thread here in 2016. I thought I read a while back it has been replaced, but Mr Google not helping me much here, does anyone know?
Then there was a 50th anniversary book I ditched very early on, when I read that MJ attended Dartford Grammar School (correct), a private boarding school, (both incorrect). If the author couldn't even get basics like that right what's the point in proceeding with the book?
I hope you can still find it in your heart to continue loving England, georgie48, I sometimes think not many people do. Maybe you could have said 'come on JB!' instead of 'come on you English!' But hey, I'm English, I've 'come on' as instructed, and love all RS fans the world over, but anyone writing a book, just get your facts right, or else me and georgie48 gonna be upset.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 19:30 by ycagwywpmd.

Date: January 13, 2018 19:29

Monsoon Ragoon
35love

‘Out of Control’
‘Beast of Burden’
‘She’s A Rainbow’
‘Like A Rolling Stone’
‘Hate To See You Go’
‘Con Le Mie Lacrime’
‘Rocks Off’
‘You Got Me Rockin’
‘Heartbreaker’
‘Get Off Of My Cloud’
‘Sweet Virginia’
‘She’s So Cold’
‘Angie’

Most of them have been played more than just a couple of times, partly very often since their (re)appearances in the 90s or 00s.

I never enter set list discussions, but my point listing these was:
‘NO FILTER TOUR 2017’
was a rocking, rocky, thrilling ride
and there is nothing quite comparable
to hearing the actual RS themselves play their actual instruments LOUD
thru the best sound system available so it penetrates your bones
LIVE IN FRONT OF YOU REAL TIME

and, this selection of songs peppered throughout was sweet indeed,
WOULD LOVE AN ITUNES RELEASE ‘NO FILTER’ GEMS ANS ODDITIES LIKE MY LIST

Thank you.

P.S. Still can’t give my Paris 2 show a second listen LOL grinning smiley
drinking smileysmoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 19:31 by 35love.

Date: January 13, 2018 20:41

ycagwywpmd
georgie48
Koen

Secondly, georgie48, I too was annoyed by the inaccuracies, so much so that I didn't post my opinions, after all, my rant wouldn't change what JB wrote, would it? I'm very surprised though it took so long for anyone to pick up on it. But georgie48, your comment 'come on you English' 'or what' has lit a fire under me......
I'm so tired of all the inaccuracies that abound in articles these days, written by 'professionals', after all, facts are facts, and as stated, we can't rewrite history. It puts me in mind of the inaccurate-plaque-at-Dartford-Station-fiasco, I see there was a thread here in 2016. I thought I read a while back it has been replaced, but Mr Google not helping me much here, does anyone know?
Then there was a 50th anniversary book I ditched very early on, when I read that MJ attended Dartford Grammar School (correct), a private boarding school, (both incorrect). If the author couldn't even get basics like that right what's the point in proceeding with the book?
I hope you can still find it in your heart to continue loving England, georgie48, I sometimes think not many people do. Maybe you could have said 'come on JB!' instead of 'come on you English!' But hey, I'm English, I've 'come on' as instructed, and love all RS fans the world over, but anyone writing a book, just get your facts right, or else me and georgie48 gonna be upset.........

The inaccuracies of JB did not go unnoticed.

Number one comment:

Henry Coke 10 Jan 2018 3:23AM

Shame on The Telegraph for rewriting history. It was Brian Jones who founded the group. Long dead but deserving still of that credit.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: January 13, 2018 21:42

Well, the article was mostly a puff piece. And I think the entity called "The Rolling Stones" does deliver a product on stage to keep most, but not all, of the fans happy. It's really a different era and the context has changed a lot.

As far as the ensuing thread goes, it felt like I had read the same stuff 50 times over already because I had. So we are also guilty of the "set list" issue.

One nice final concert at the Royal Albert Hall and I would retire a happy camper. There was a time a long long time ago where I dreaded the thought of "the end" but not any more.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: January 13, 2018 21:50

Hairball
ycagwywpmd
georgie48
Koen

Number one comment:

Shame on The Telegraph for rewriting history. It was Brian Jones who founded the group. Long dead but deserving still of that credit.

Yes Hairball, good to see someone picked up on it and made a comment on it on The Telegraph site, but when I expressed my surprise at how long it took for someone to pick up on it, I meant on this thread. Still, maybe more people reading The Telegraph online than iorr........

Date: January 13, 2018 23:26

MileHigh
Well, the article was mostly a puff piece. And I think the entity called "The Rolling Stones" does deliver a product on stage to keep most, but not all, of the fans happy. It's really a different era and the context has changed a lot.

As far as the ensuing thread goes, it felt like I had read the same stuff 50 times over already because I had. So we are also guilty of the "set list" issue.

One nice final concert at the Royal Albert Hall and I would retire a happy camper. There was a time a long long time ago where I dreaded the thought of "the end" but not any more.

thumbs up

Date: January 14, 2018 01:11

ycagwywpmd
Hairball
ycagwywpmd
georgie48
Koen

Number one comment:

Yes Hairball, good to see someone picked up on it and made a comment on it on The Telegraph site, but when I expressed my surprise at how long it took for someone to pick up on it, I meant on this thread. Still, maybe more people reading The Telegraph online than iorr........

Yes I realize that, just wanted to show that at least someone took notice. thumbs up
Probably/definitely more people do read the Telegraph than IORR, so I was surprised there were only two comments on the Telegraph site!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 14, 2018 03:29

Resting on wads of money, not their laurels. grinning smiley

They @#$%& deserve it though, they've brought inspiration and happiness to millions of people.

Date: January 14, 2018 21:46

ycagwywpmd
georgie48
Koen

Thanks for your support! (also Hairball!). Don't worry, my love for the English people is too strong to be spoiled by some amateurish writers. Because of my past fan club related passion I (had to, but also enjoyed) read very many books on the Stones and, sad to say, it is mostly in books (but, yes, also the Dartford plague thing off course) from English hands that have that particular "mistake". So "you English" is merely based on that experience. No, I really look forward to visit England (and maybe some other parts of the UK) when the Stones plan to take control of it once more cool smiley. It's almost part of my DNA winking smiley

Date: January 14, 2018 22:05

Hairball
Monsoon Ragoon

Satisfaction
Let Me Down Slow
Doom And Gloom
One Hit
Tumbling Dice
Bitch
Mixed Emotions
Beast Of Burden
Streets Of Love
Out Of Tears
Hate To See You Go
Kansas City
Honky Tonk Women
Midnight Rambler
Sexdrive
Start Me Up
Rough Justice
Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil

It might work - especially in a arena - but unfortunately they won't try something like this. They are in their Sinatra-era.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home