Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
A fantastic RS article/review Jan.09 2018
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 10, 2018 02:56

Re: A fantastic RS article/review Jan.09 2018
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 10, 2018 02:57

By James Brown smoking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 10, 2018 03:29

"This band is different, though. Anyone who doesn’t understand the ongoing allure of the Rolling Stones is either being deliberately difficult or failing to see the greatness still in our midst. Sometimes we take legends for granted. But anyone who thinks the Stones rest on their laurels clearly hasn’t stood beneath the giant yellow tongues that occupy the video screens before they come on."

Yes!

Nice article, thanks for sharing, 35love. thumbs up

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: January 10, 2018 20:14

Great read. Until he says ‘There’s been no drop in their musical ability’

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 10, 2018 20:17

Koen
By James Brown smoking smiley

....didn't he die in 2006??? confused smileygrinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 10, 2018 20:29

Not sure what this guy is talking about...
Wouldn't performing a setlist that consists of old songs - 95% of which were recorded recorded over 35 years ago - be considered resting on their laurels?
When the newest tune they play is a recent cover of blues oldie, followed by an original from the '80's...aren't they resting on their laurels?
If a majority of what they played was from the last ten years or so he may have a point, but any band that relies almost solely on their oldies is a band that is resting on their laurels.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 10, 2018 21:35

Hairball
Wouldn't performing a setlist that consists of old songs - 95% of which were recorded recorded over 35 years ago - be considered resting on their laurels?

I'll play devil's advocate and say not really.

It's more a case of letting the jaded masses decide what they play.

I would bet IORRians think of the Stones more often and more constantly than even the Stones themselves.

Most fans don't dwell on every moment of every concert; for many, a Stones concert is an occasion rather than an obsession, a reminder of an earlier, more care-free time in life.

So on a message board like this, where even isolated tracks of lesser known songs are discussed, it very quickly becomes a treadmill and it's easy to get bored.

It's one thing to see a Broadway show, but if you follow the same show night after night, the repetition of the production can fill you with contempt.

Most fans as well haven't been charting Keith's supposed decline in playing ability. They're just delighted that after all these years the members can show up on stage and the fans can hear a true enough semblance, for example, Gimme Shelter, of what they heard all those years ago.

If you were Mick or Keith, would you do it any differently?

They've already done their thing. Any new songs they may bring forth are not exactly going to take the world by storm and radically alter the musical or cultural landscape.

And besides, when you've got fans paying such rates to see them, you want them keeping the concessions attendants busy, not the restroom attendants.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 10, 2018 21:50

"Resting on it's laurels" describes bands that don't tour to packed houses wherever and whenever they play, who don't release acclaimed grammy nominated albums within the last several years, who don't have a fanatic fan base that spans generations (and very active fan-sites), who have set the bar so high for other bands,it may never be reachable, who set $$ records with each tour, who aren't still The Worlds Greatest Rock and Roll Band!
You know, bands like that.

Date: January 10, 2018 21:55

MisterDDDD
"Resting on it's laurels" describes bands that don't tour to packed houses wherever and whenever they play, who don't release acclaimed grammy nominated albums within the last several years, who don't have a fanatic fan base that spans generations (and very active fan-sites), who have set the bar so high for other bands,it may never be reachable, who set $$ records with each tour, who aren't still The Worlds Greatest Rock and Roll Band!

thumbs up

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 10, 2018 22:08

MisterDDDD

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: January 11, 2018 00:09

stonehearted
Hairball

I'll play devil's advocate and say not really.

It's more a case of letting the jaded masses decide what they play.

I would bet IORRians think of the Stones more often and more constantly than even the Stones themselves.

Most fans don't dwell on every moment of every concert; for many, a Stones concert is an occasion rather than an obsession, a reminder of an earlier, more care-free time in life.

So on a message board like this, where even isolated tracks of lesser known songs are discussed, it very quickly becomes a treadmill and it's easy to get bored.

It's one thing to see a Broadway show, but if you follow the same show night after night, the repetition of the production can fill you with contempt.

Most fans as well haven't been charting Keith's supposed decline in playing ability. They're just delighted that after all these years the members can show up on stage and the fans can hear a true enough semblance, for example, Gimme Shelter, of what they heard all those years ago.

If you were Mick or Keith, would you do it any differently?

They've already done their thing. Any new songs they may bring forth are not exactly going to take the world by storm and radically alter the musical or cultural landscape.

And besides, when you've got fans paying such rates to see them, you want them keeping the concessions attendants busy, not the restroom attendants.

I agree with most all of that, yet still there's the fact that the setlist consists of 95% old songs that date back 35 years or more - ie laurels. Whether it's their choice or not is debatable, but that's the way it is.
People can argue what defines "resting on laurels" all they want and try to put a positive spin on it, but the facts are the facts...they are an oldies band that relies on their oldies - ie laurels - when performing concerts. Yes they're still "active" and touring in short spurts with overpriced tickets (and have a grammy nomination for a blues covers album), but add to the fact they haven't released an album of originals in 13 years, and it's pretty clear they're not pushing the envelope anymore. When they can't even sell out two arena shows in Vegas '16 and end up having price drops (which still didn't help them sell it out), there's something not right with the picture - probably a combination of overpriced tickets and the fact they're an oldies act that's becoming closer and closer to what the Beach Boys have become.

Date: January 11, 2018 00:26

Oh Hairball, sell more of whatever it is you do/make,
save the money, just buy a golldarn frontest row you can ticket for an England show, and if you somehow have a spare *sob
It’s been too long since your last show (Desert Trip, I know)
Oh, Vegas, Vegas,
you saw the last public RS show in the United States.
I guess my point:
I think you and I both know it will be lucky goddddam buggers
who get to have a last summer of Stones in UK!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 00:38 by 35love.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 11, 2018 00:43

Falls into the "entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts" category.

"When they can't even sell out two arena shows in Vegas '16 and end up having price drops (which still didn't help them sell it out), there's something not right with the picture -" Hairball

Using this as your shining example is absurd -also incorrect- as the one Vegas show sold out and the other was cancelled due to Mick's illness (course you're well aware and reaching for any negative). Using these show as opposed to any of the many other sold out shows after or before these tells more about you than them. Truth is it was a pricier show (not for me w lucky dips, or you with a stubhub snag) than most and because of that and the 19 song set-list, you were disappointed and it clearly left a mark. Not me, loved every second of the Vegas show and Desert Trip as well. We clearly have different expectations of the band. While you were arriving at your leisure, settling for cheap seats a quarter mile away and posting food reviews at Desert trip, I was lining up in the AM and running for the pit in 100+ degree heat.

Don't have to be as into them as that, but at least be honest when you try to minimize all their recent tours, grammy nominated recordings, et al.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 00:44 by MisterDDDD.

Date: January 11, 2018 00:46

35love
Oh Hairball, sell more of whatever it is you do/make,
save the money, just buy a golldarn frontest row you can ticket for an England show, and if you somehow have a spare *sob
It’s been too long since your last show (Desert Trip, I know)
Oh, Vegas, Vegas,
you saw the last public RS show in the United States.
I guess my point:
I think you and I both know it will be lucky goddddam buggers
who get to have a last summer of Stones in UK!!

The last show was *Vegas (the abbreviated show) which I bought at a discount price the day of show.
And it's not about the money or the overpriced tickets - I could have bought VIP's for every Stones show on the No Filter tour and flown back and forth to California between every show if I chose to.
No it's not the money, it's the product that's being offered that I have hesitations about. It's like buying a 1981 model car that has over 500,000 miles on it and paying over ten times the original asking price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 00:47 by Hairball.

Date: January 11, 2018 00:55

MisterDDDD
While you were arriving at your leisure, settling for cheap seats a quarter mile away and posting food reviews at Desert trip, I was lining up in the AM and running for the pit in 100+ degree heat.

A quarter mile away? I was in the first 30 rows for weekend one - even made it to the barrier of the outer pit! As for weekend two, I was in the pit on the catwalk (paid apprx. $300 for a weekend pass in the days leading up to the show)- didn't have to line up all day an walked right up at my own leisure. When I made my move around three in the afternoon (after enjoying the festival grounds at my own leisure), there was only a handfull of maybe 200 people waiting up near the stage - I( assume you were one of them. I casually walked up and found my place. Seems odd of you to sweat it out in the sun all day when in reality it was totally unnecessary lol.

PS - There were still tickets for Vegas at the box office the day of the show, and if memory serves none of the No Filter shows sold out.

MisterDDDD
at least be honest when you try to minimize all their recent tours, grammy nominated recordings, et al.

???

Never minimized any of that - I was talking specifically about the stale setlists - 95% of which is made up of songs that are over 35 years old.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 01:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 11, 2018 01:00

They are resting on their laurels. Of course. So did Frank Sinatra and BB King also. I guess it's only natural when you have a career spanning over 55 years.

Date: January 11, 2018 01:02

Yes, that Mick Jagger is sooo lazy... eye rolling smiley

I agree 100% with the article.

Date: January 11, 2018 01:08

Stoneage
They are resting on their laurels. Of course. So did Frank Sinatra and BB King also. I guess it's only natural when you have a career spanning over 55 years.

Yeah nothing really wrong with resting on laurels given the fact they're in their mid '70's. Some people still find joy and excitement in seeing an oldies show.
Was just wondering what the heck this writer is talking about - he'd fit right in here amongst many other hardcore cheerleaders. In fact, he's probably a member here!

Date: January 11, 2018 01:13

Stoneage

You don't think they even make an effort when they are touring and making albums in their mid/late 70s?

It didn't look like Mick was resting on his laurels, singing and playing Moonlight Mile on the Zip Code-tour. When Keith is playing CYHMK I'm pretty sure he doesn't feel like he's coasting with those fingers.

No, it's the fans who are jaded and spoilt. Some of these guys can hardly walk, and at the same time a guy sits comfortably in the audience drenched in burger fat, complaining about their lack of efforts.

That's hilarious grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 01:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 11, 2018 01:22

Sure, Dandelion. They are still performing and making an effort. But my point is that they are resting their setlists on songs 40 years old or more. Which is quite understandable.

Date: January 11, 2018 01:27

I recall during the Licks tour there were some fans who were calling them over the hill and "resting on their laurels", etc. even back then. And there I was buying multiple memberships to the fan club for presales to access tickets to club/theater/arena/stadium shows, while at the same time planning my itinerary to travel to Europe (flights, hotels, etc.) to see them multiple times in several cities. While I disagreed that they were over the hill, I didn't take offense at others opinions and went on my merry way. I suppose as time marches on, there's batches of fans that have seen the decline and have had their fulfillment, while at the same time there are still those who will see them no matter what. I still consider myself a fan, and have memories of a lifetime along with mountains of recordings to enjoy. But to see nearly the same show with a setlist that consists mostly of songs that are 40 years old (or more) is not something that really grabs my interest anymore.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 01:34 by Hairball.

Date: January 11, 2018 02:00

Fair enough Hairball. I admire your Stones shows. A lot.
The only tour that I let myself wonder about is ‘Licks’
I was single (amicably divorced, my son was around 3 or 4, with me)
And I was at the top of my career/ had money.
But I do not feel sorry for myself anymore—— I have had the RS time of my life since I finally made it Zipcode 2015.
They have given us so much.
I do hope you’ll try and periscope/ Facebook whatever it is then with me/ us :-)
(any future shows we’re not in attendance) smileys with beer

Date: January 11, 2018 03:30

Of course 35love I'll watch all the shows via periscope/facebook just as I did most, if not all of the No Filter shows.
It was fun to watch/hear them start out slow and messy, and gradually hit their stride throughout the recent mini-tour.
I've always thought Paris 2 was the best, and part of that reasoning might have been because I knew you were there. thumbs up

While I was at the same San Diego opening show as you during Zip Code which I know you loved, I wish you would have seen them during the 50 and Counting with the grand return of Mick Taylor.
For me, those were among the highlihgts of all Stones shows I've seen. And Licks was the last great truly tour imo mixing it up with the club/theare/arena/stadium scenario - definitely still pushing the envelope with that format. Every show after Licks was kind of like watching them in slow motion - especially the last couple of tours. Where Mick used to be a non-stop out-of-control spastic dancing machine, now there's only hints of it. While Keith used to prowl around front and center and the whole stage, now he's sort of subdued mostly lurking in the background. Ronnie still seems the same, yet more focused and actually playing better. Charlie will always be good - the engine that keeps it moving. And for the record, I did enjoy the Stones at Desert Trip 2 immensely (much better than wkd.1), but they were not the best band either of those weekends - not even close imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 03:35 by Hairball.

Date: January 11, 2018 04:33

Hairball
Of course 35love I'll watch all the shows via periscope/facebook just as I did most, if not all of the No Filter shows.
It was fun to watch/hear them start out slow and messy, and gradually hit their stride throughout the recent mini-tour.
I've always thought Paris 2 was the best, and part of that reasoning might have been because I knew you were there. thumbs up

While I was at the same San Diego opening show as you during Zip Code which I know you loved, I wish you would have seen them during the 50 and Counting with the grand return of Mick Taylor.
For me, those were among the highlihgts of all Stones shows I've seen. And Licks was the last great truly tour imo mixing it up with the club/theare/arena/stadium scenario - definitely still pushing the envelope with that format. Every show after Licks was kind of like watching them in slow motion - especially the last couple of tours. Where Mick used to be a non-stop out-of-control spastic dancing machine, now there's only hints of it. While Keith used to prowl around front and center and the whole stage, now he's sort of subdued mostly lurking in the background. Ronnie still seems the same, yet more focused and actually playing better. Charlie will always be good - the engine that keeps it moving. And for the record, I did enjoy the Stones at Desert Trip 2 immensely (much better than wkd.1), but they were not the best band either of those weekends - not even close imo.

*do you know I got a little teary thinking of getting SO CLOSE ON KEITH’S SIDE
(My first time on Keith’s side) sitting on the floor to send a message out to IORR the only place to share my elation w/ someone who understood?
Good job we won’t be in England Hairball I bet it’s a cry-fest ;-) xxoo

Date: January 11, 2018 04:39

Lol...cry-fest...maybe, but for different reasons.
You'll cry in elation and joy, while I'll cry in frustration and disappointment.winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 11, 2018 06:36

Cristiano Radtke
"This band is different, though. Anyone who doesn’t understand the ongoing allure of the Rolling Stones is either being deliberately difficult or failing to see the greatness still in our midst. Sometimes we take legends for granted. But anyone who thinks the Stones rest on their laurels clearly hasn’t stood beneath the giant yellow tongues that occupy the video screens before they come on."

Yes!

Nice article, thanks for sharing, 35love. thumbs up

That says absolutely nothing. And the article went on and on.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: January 11, 2018 06:57

nice post thanks.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: January 11, 2018 12:23

thanks James Brown - fantastic read.

Date: January 11, 2018 12:26

Stoneage
Sure, Dandelion. They are still performing and making an effort. But my point is that they are resting their setlists on songs 40 years old or more. Which is quite understandable.

Yep, but resting on one's laurels is about being content, and not bothering to make any effort anymore.

It's not as easy as saying «they don't take chances», because they do - every day, at this age. They even bother to try out songs they haven't played since 1973 in front of 90.000 people. Looks like making an effort to me smiling smiley

In this context, resting on their laurels would be not to play at all, knowing that lots of ££££ will drip into their accounts anyhow..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 12:27 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: January 11, 2018 13:00

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Yep, but resting on one's laurels is about being content, and not bothering to make any effort anymore.

It's not as easy as saying «they don't take chances», because they do - every day, at this age. They even bother to try out songs they haven't played since 1973 in front of 90.000 people. Looks like making an effort to me smiling smiley

In this context, resting on their laurels would be not to play at all, knowing that lots of ££££ will drip into their accounts anyhow..

Well Powderman I admire your patience with all these never giving up seltlist-worriers. No disresepct to them.
I always had the romantic vision that this will stop one day and those pals can jump over their shaddow in a zone where they just relax and enjoy what is there to relax and enjoy in the 2.15 hour time those loveley warhorses are on stage.
Which is much - as You and I and Millions other know.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home