Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

You Always Get What You Want
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: January 8, 2018 18:47

Today, I've finally got a copy of the 'TV Themes' EP including one song by the ALO.
Believe it or not, it took me 40 years, since when I first saw it in Carr's book.
I admit it's not been a constant chase, but the copy I got it's the first one on Ebay, in four years and it's the first one I've been aware it was available.
Anybody here knows what I mean? What're you still looking for, while decades go by?

Re: You Always Get What You Want
Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 8, 2018 19:29

my retainers?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 8, 2018 19:37

[www.45cat.com]
[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: January 8, 2018 20:21

It took me 42 years to meet the woman of my life.

She's better than the woman of my dreams. I could not imagine that a woman like her could be on earth... waiting for me.

I married her and we are still happy together.

Date: January 8, 2018 23:26

Honestly, I hope the cover of copy of I will receive is by Robert Stace, too.
41 more years to get a second copy would be long...
No need to say, the same applies to the signature letter on labels.

Date: January 9, 2018 00:57

It didn't sell in any great quantities so I'd be surprised if there was more than one print run of the cover.

Date: January 9, 2018 08:02

Well, I don't know... I have two different labels for Marty Wild and four for 'So Much in Love'... Anyway, I hope you're right!
Bye

Date: January 9, 2018 12:59

This Marty Wilde?
[www.45cat.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 9, 2018 13:00

Since when ?

Date: January 9, 2018 13:58

Yes, Deltics, that Marty Wilde.
Just an example of unsuccessfull single with more than one label, but a little more exist, actually.

Date: January 9, 2018 14:07

I put this list together of ALO's non Stones singles, can you see if I missed any?
[www.45cat.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-09 14:10 by Deltics.

Date: January 9, 2018 23:23

Great, Deltics!!! Very well compiled, actually. ALO's job will be the subject of my next book and I will include the Frugal Sound single as I see a Rile of his in this release. Do you agree?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-09 23:25 by 1963luca0.

Date: January 10, 2018 00:29

I'm not aware of that one.
Which one do you mean?
[www.45cat.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-10 00:32 by Deltics.

Date: January 10, 2018 00:39

Back Street girl

Date: January 10, 2018 02:02

What makes you think there's an ALO involvement?
I don't understand your meaning of the word "Rile".
[www.45cat.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-10 02:03 by Deltics.

Date: January 10, 2018 09:27

Rile had to be 'role', actually...

If you want to have a whole picture of the ALO's activity in support of the RS and of his ego, you have to consider much more than the labels or the liner notes he wrote or his statements on press. He had a role as seller of the J/R songs. The topic would bring us too far and I will strip this post down to the Frugal Sound only.
ALO sold the song to Frugal Sound in 1966 (look at labels, please: P1966) who recorded the song in 1966 - before it was officially released by the RS - and got it copyrighted. Still he did not want they to issue it before the RS did and an agreement was made: Frugal Sound can release the song soon after the RS will.
The single is issued in February 1967, after 'Between The Buttons' was out.
Easy money for everybody except for Frugal Sound.
There are no evidences of further ALO's involvement with this record, but we know they way he used to work. This means that he surely passed a demo (acetate) to the group, he surely managed to be present at the recording sessions - I've not been able to track down the backing musicians - and let them have some ideas about arrangement. He was not the group's manager, they were not in Immediate's catalogue and he did not 'sign' the record. That said, I can't prove his official role, but I'm glad I have this record and I will include it in a book that I wish it was definitive (as far as it can).
All in all, ALO's involvement is not too different from the one Mick Jagger had with some songs by the Troggs: a supervising role. Your opinion, please?

Date: January 10, 2018 14:06

That certainly sounds feasible and would also explain how the Searchers were able to release their version of "Take It Or Leave It" a week before "Aftermath" was issued. [www.45cat.com]
John Paul Jones' involvement with the record might also point to ALO's role as they worked regularly together.
Of course, Oldham got his own version out first when he and Mick produced Nicky Scott's cover which was released by Immediate on the same day as "Between The Buttons".
[www.45cat.com]

Incidentally, the line-up of Frugal Sound was Rosalind Rankin – vocals; Brian Stein – guitar and vocals and Mike Brown – bass and vocals.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 20:51 by Deltics.

Date: January 10, 2018 15:19

Very good points yours are and you could add the many simultaneous versions of 'Lady Jane' (Tony Merrick's, just to name one). If you believe in coincidences, it all stopped as soon as ALO & His Golden Suns (partially) parted ways.
Thanks for the line-up. We still need to know who was on drums and piano (someone from Immediate?). See you next time, Luca

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 13, 2018 14:51

Deltics
I put this list together of ALO's non Stones singles, can you see if I missed any?
[www.45cat.com]

Crikey! I had never realised ALO was such a prolific Producer/Composer in the early days.Of course, not many troubled the charts, but then with Stones money rolling in, no worries on that score.
Interesting names for some of the music publishing companies involved: Pakkamak;
M Andes; Immediate; Forward; etc. I guess now all owned and controlled by ABKCO Music?
I wonder what his creative input was to the writing process? Lyrics rather than melodies?
Did he ever attempt to write any songs with Brian Jones, I wonder?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 14, 2018 16:53

As to the subject, not always. Maybe some times, but not always. That is, at least, according to someone. You actually can't.

smoking smiley

Date: January 14, 2018 17:48

I thought this was a thread devoted to the song YCAGWYW. Because only yesterday it hit me just how odd the drums and percussion are on the official version. No wonder Charlie couldn't nail that one. Jimmy Miller on the kit seems to really favor that crash cymbal. The congas come in at a strange juncture.
But one thing I really listened for yesterday was all the small percussion instruments. Never quite realized how many there are. Hand cymbals, bells, shakers - it almost like a cacophony; rattling away under that crescendo.

Date: January 15, 2018 20:03

jlowe
I've never been able to gather info about Pakkamak Music. It was a rather frequent controller in the very early days, but soon disappeared to never come back.
IMO, it was not ALO's.
ABKCO does not control any song directly. Klein used his GIDEON to control the RS catalogue and GIDEON passed the songs to Essex, in UK. On top of that, Klein never controlled IMMEDIATE and did not control Forward and any other ALO-related companies. ALO had the Beatles, the RS, Sam Cooke, the Animals. I'm afraid he was not aware of the Poets and P.P.Arnold...

Date: January 16, 2018 20:15

The EP for which I started this thread arrived today.
For thosr who care, usual cover, usual labels. As far as I know, just one issue and less than 200 hundred copies sold.
For Deltics: what about the presence of Immediate Records on Fleetwood Mac's 'Albatross'. Any opinion?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home