Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Re 'It's All Over Now" Chords
Date: January 8, 2018 09:12

Ok, I don't really expect this thread will get a bunch of replies, but it's just one of those useless tidbits that means nothing to anyone else, but a few Stoners. I could never understand why "Its all over now", when played in the Stones' arrangement, somehow didn't work.( I mean when you play it in your own band) For years it has bugged me, because its a song that gets pulled out in countless scenarios. I always blamed it on the fact, that Stones songs are actually hard to play right. E.g. "Its all over now" has to be played like a Country song. But it never sounded right.
It finally hit me today that the intro is in a different key than the rest of the song. Its natural to assume that the intro is the same chords that the chorus is in later on. But no - and that is once again one of those small Stones tricks that they kept to themselves. ( the Valentinos sure didn't do it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-08 09:48 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Re: Re 'It's All Over Now" Chords
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 8, 2018 09:34

I always liked the Stones version, especially on the TAMI Show. I think this song, especially the intro, demonstrates what Keith calls the Ancient Art of Weaving.
Having said all that, I probably like The Faces version even more!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 8, 2018 11:03

I like the faster Honolulu 1973 version.

The 1994 arrangement sounds like it may have been intended as a bridge between the 1964 and Stewart/Faces arrangements.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 8, 2018 11:08

ab

The 1994 arrangement sounds like it may have been intended as a bridge between the 1964 and Stewart/Faces arrangements.

I don't know about intended, but it does come over a bit like that.

Date: January 8, 2018 11:19

Spud
ab

I don't know about intended, but it does come over a bit like that.

They start it off like the Faces did (Ronnie). Mick even made a point of Ronnie playing that tune in two bands.

So, they do the Faces-start. After that, it sounds like the Stones-version to me.

Date: January 8, 2018 13:28

The "50 & Counting" rendition was interesting.

Much more like the original .

Keith even played something approximating to the original solo...

..which came as something of a shock ! winking smiley

Date: January 8, 2018 13:33

Spud
The "50 & Counting" rendition was interesting.

Much more like the original .

Keith even played something approximating to the original solo...

..which came as something of a shock ! winking smiley

Didn't Ronnie do the solo in O2 1, or is my memory shady because of too many beers? smiling smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 8, 2018 16:07

What about this one?
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 8, 2018 17:25

Listening to the clip put up by Deltics, cool and different. I think I'd label it amphetamized punk blues r&b in terms of sound.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: January 8, 2018 19:52

dmay
Listening to the clip put up by Deltics, cool and different. I think I'd label it amphetamized punk blues r&b in terms of sound.

With a bit of soul and, towards the end – dare I say it –, even rap thrown in there too...

Date: January 8, 2018 19:55

A lot cover of the cover versions of It’s All Over Now seem to be based on the Stones’ arrangement, mostly starting with the chorus/outro power chords (D, C, G) though as opposed to the Stones’ intro (G, F, C, D).

Date: January 8, 2018 20:17

xke38
A lot cover of the cover versions of It’s All Over Now seem to be based on the Stones’ arrangement, mostly starting with the chorus/outro power chords (D, C, G) though as opposed to the Stones’ intro (G, F, C, D).

That is exactly what my initial post is about: that everyone who I have ever played with (including myself) assumed that the eventual power chords for the chorus would also be the chords for the intro; but they are not.
Only in the Stones version does this oddity exist. Not oddity; stroke of brilliance.

Date: January 8, 2018 20:37

Johnny Winter also played the intro Stones-style (eventually...):

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 9, 2018 02:05

The original:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 9, 2018 02:42

xke38
Johnny Winter also played the intro Stones-style (eventually...):

video: [www.youtube.com]

Smokin' version. thumbs up I lived with that Captured Live album in my mid-teens when it was released, and then saw Johnny for the first time at the Santa Monica Civic front row center in 1979 thanks to my older brother.
I love the Stones version as well, but something simple and pure about the Valentinos/Bobby Womack original that always wins me over.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 9, 2018 10:22

Is the intro really in a different key? G is the first chord and the key of the song. F is just a passing chord. That is the way I look at it

Date: January 9, 2018 10:29

terraplane
Is the intro really in a different key? G is the first chord and the key of the song. F is just a passing chord. That is the way I look at it

That could be said about the G as well?

Date: January 9, 2018 10:30

Nils Lofgren did an interesting version .

Can't recall which album its on though.

Date: January 9, 2018 10:34

DandelionPowderman
terraplane

Really? C and D are the IV and V chord for G. F can sit in the key of G? Theory is not my forte.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-09 10:45 by terraplane.

Date: January 9, 2018 11:12

terraplane
DandelionPowderman
terraplane

Really? C and D are the IV and V chord for G. F can sit in the key of G? Theory is not my forte.
Strictly speaking the intro is in C. It's the 'homing' chord. Were you to play the verses in C, the intro would be how you'd play the chorus.
Yeah xke38 that Johnny Winter version is the same like Stones.
Speaking of - Johnny Winter is one of those artists who I have tried to get into forever. And I just have never thought very much of him.

Date: January 9, 2018 11:15

Except if the intro was in the key of C the D would need to be D minor? I love Johnny Winter's version of the song, much better than the Stones mainly because Keith's solo isn't so good.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 9, 2018 11:25

I love Keith's solo in It's All Over Now. It's very rudimentary, as far as notes go, but rhythmically it's fantastic.

Date: January 9, 2018 11:43

terraplane
Except if the intro was in the key of C the D would need to be D minor? I love Johnny Winter's version of the song, much better than the Stones mainly because Keith's solo isn't so good.

confused smiley Probably one of my favourites..

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 9, 2018 16:22

That in a nutshell is the beauty , the mystery and lastly the enigma of the Glimmer Twins songwriting I.E. - that the songs are so simple in nature but mix in Keith's Open ( G , a lot of times and I Think maybe D ? ) tuning and it's anybody's guess as to how to really pull it off .I mean you can figure it out note for note but the phrasing and the way Keith hits those chords in open tuning and it really is a marvel at what exactly the Stones guitars are doing at any given moment .

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 9, 2018 16:25

DandelionPowderman
terraplane

Maybe not a favorite of mine but a good one for sure.

Date: January 9, 2018 16:40

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
terraplane

Maybe not a favorite of mine but a good one for sure.

It's not good as a standalone solo - far from it grinning smiley

However, for that particular song/version, it's gold, imo.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 9, 2018 16:56

Strange, I've played that song at least a thousand times and never considered the intro key as anything other than "G". The dominant D throws you right into G. "Fortune Teller" intro is similar.

Regarding Keith's solo, I seem to remember Keith saying in "Life" that John Lennon told Keith it was a lousy solo - and Keith agreed with John.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 9, 2018 17:24

I liked the VOODOO version. Keith manages to Chuck Berry it a bit in this one.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: January 9, 2018 17:48

For me the Chess 64 version is still the best!
Brian's chords on the intro and outro lift the song to another level.
Years ago I think I read somewhere that the Chess engineer Ron Malo slowed the tape down to get that full sound?
I don't play guitar, but maybe there's the reason that some of you have finding the right key?

Date: January 9, 2018 19:35

bleedingman
Strange, I've played that song at least a thousand times and never considered the intro key as anything other than "G". The dominant D throws you right into G. "Fortune Teller" intro is similar.

Regarding Keith's solo, I seem to remember Keith saying in "Life" that John Lennon told Keith it was a lousy solo - and Keith agreed with John.

Yes, that is what happened with me. Was driving me crazy.
I read that too, what Keith said about his solo, but I love that solo. I love all his early solos. They are very jittery.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home