Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: so, for those of us who are closer to 60 than not
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 9, 2018 17:30

As recently as 2001 I was still recording songs off the radio to cassette!

Nowadays it's not only not necessary but probably for a lot of people impossible anyway since cassette player/recorders are either now junk, like the ones I had in storage for a long time that I messed around with last year in an attempt to upload them to CD - or they're next to impossible to find. Aside from the fact that they're so outmoded and good quality blanks are difficult to find they're completely irrelevant.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 9, 2018 17:56

GasLightStreet
As recently as 2001 I was still recording songs off the radio to cassette!

Nowadays it's not only not necessary but probably for a lot of people impossible anyway since cassette player/recorders are either now junk, like the ones I had in storage for a long time that I messed around with last year in an attempt to upload them to CD - or they're next to impossible to find. Aside from the fact that they're so outmoded and good quality blanks are difficult to find they're completely irrelevant.

Yeah, you could still buy cassettes for recording by then. Anyway, my old TEAC still swings, and I have cassettes, but I would have to miss stuff if I wanted to record something. At least you could call it beautiful technology.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 9, 2018 17:57

I cleaned my rollers and the tapes still got chewed up.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 9, 2018 20:04

60 is in my rear view mirror!!
I bought my first cassette recorder in January of 1970. I would take it to music shows (no Stones shows) and record the performances. I have no idea where the cassettes are. My mother probably threw them away when I moved away, along with my baseball card collection! The recorder was a bit bulky but it was a gem.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: January 9, 2018 20:30

I bought one of these Superscope cassette recorders in the mid '70s...was really exited to record the '78 Stones King Bisquit Radio Broadcast...nice surprise hearing them cover Hound Dog

Date: January 9, 2018 22:50

This one is king, this one is absolute king. This is the one I`ve been talking about. I`m surprised to see it was in the marked as early as 1968:

This one was more common, and 1967? -I´m surprised:

In all honesty, there was this one too:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-09 22:59 by noughties.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 10, 2018 00:56

Is this the famous Uher reel to reel that recorded infamous "Liver Than You'll Ever Be"? Anyone here ever own one?

https://www.hifiengine.com/images/model/uher_4000_report.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-10 00:57 by oldschool.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 10, 2018 01:33

im 49, so no 60 yet.

i remember me and my friends recording the charts back in the 80,s, then taping selected songs from albums to create best of hits. taping onto a cassette either from a cassette or vinyl was tedious and frustrating.

only last year did i buy a new vinyl turntable, but havent really used it yet except for the odd cd.

i do prefer this to having all my music on memory stick.

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: January 10, 2018 01:55

ha, all I can say is that some of ya guys may have better access to ( technology)
and that is a joke and a bloody piss take. cause we had bloody good fun being young and just a tad dumb.. hey , we all made it. gods knows how.. ...

Date: January 10, 2018 02:44

-"piss take"?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 10, 2018 05:12

This was my pride & joy in 1975 - aged 15.......(not this exact one..............

Played Aftermath to death (amongst others) and left a copy of Wishbone Ash's Argus on the turntable under the lid one sunny afternoon - more waves than Bondi beach ..........confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-10 05:28 by EddieByword.

Date: January 10, 2018 12:16

This was the one used by Blofeld in the 1971 James Bond film "Diamonds Are For Ever":

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: January 10, 2018 15:43

I become this year 68 of age (born 1950). And we had to listen to radio mid sixties, and then in mid sixties we could see now and then teenager programmes, but,there was not a tv in each home in those days.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: January 10, 2018 15:50

I'm right in the middle between 50 and 60.

I had a portable cassette recorder. Bright red plastic, Sanyo I think. I recorded songs from the Top 40 radio show (BBC, Sunday evening) and was thrilled to get hold of a "5 pin DIN" lead that connected directly to my radio. No more background noise!

A few years later when I had a reasonable hifi, but not much of a budget, I taped LPs from friends and record libraries. Massively expanded my musical tastes - not least Stones of course.

In my case home taping didn't kill music but it led directly to me buying many more records, CDs and gig tickets down the years than I would have done.

CORRECTION. It was Panasonic. Just like this one in fact

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-10 16:15 by JumpinJimF.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: January 10, 2018 16:40

This Phillips was very common in Europe; I had one, ca. 1969, and many of my friends also (or similar stuff). We recorded concerts, vinyl, radio, our guitars, just about everything, with the recorders.

Later on, in the seventies, I also owned a superscope. STEREO, wow

resotele

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 11, 2018 23:39

thon red musical tape recorder looks like a toaster.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 13, 2018 03:08

buttons67
thon red musical tape recorder looks like a toaster.

[randomgirl-numba122.deviantart.com]
This is a toaster

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home