Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Any chance of a official release of Covksuvker Blues on dvd?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 9, 2018 20:06

TheGreek
TheGreek

the PPV show from Miami 1994

can you tell me more about the official release ?

Basic infos: [en.Wikipedia.org] , [www.Discogs.com] .

Complete version of the concert: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 10, 2018 13:44

Irix
TheGreek
TheGreek

Basic infos: [en.Wikipedia.org] , [www.Discogs.com] .

Complete version of the concert: [iorr.org] .
Thanks for the information . I did know about the partial not complete official release .I just wish the Stones would give this the deluxe treatment with a complete release on CD/DVD , like the From the Vault series .smiling smiley

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: January 11, 2018 01:04

TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
dcba
TheGreek

Please not that one! The rehearsals from the previous day are actually better than the PPV itself (imo).

And that show was indeed officially released on video.

There's one, a dvd, on Ebay right now:

[www.ebay.nl]

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: January 11, 2018 01:28

I've been a Stones fan since I was a young boy LOL. I excitedly heard about tbis film for many years and always saw the same 15 second clip over and over... Finally about 7-8 years ago I picked up the boot "Big C*ckuck^r Blues" in a NY record shop and went home, poured myself a big beer and expected the most exciting thing ever to appear on screen. Holy cow, what a snooze-fest - hardly any good footage of the band on stage, lot's a boring clearly fake hijinks and I'm not sure I even made it to the end of the film LOL. The only cool thing about this video is the mystique of never having an official release and everyone has to find out the hard way why!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 11, 2018 01:37

Irix
rodes

Wich is the best version circulated for the moment?

Dunno, but it's available on DVD: [www.TheVideoBeat.com] - $16.99.

Unfortunately there's no info by VideoBeat if it's the full 93-mins-version or if it's cut ....

You mean circumcised?

Sorry, couldn't resist... smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 11, 2018 01:44

.... that's uncalled for ... don't you know there's women and grandmas check in here .... hhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: January 11, 2018 06:12

Irix
rodes

Unfortunately there's no info by VideoBeat if it's the full 93-mins-version or if it's cut ....

I have a copy that claims to be the 'best edition' available (at least as of its 2004 release). It's about 91 minutes and includes bonus materials. I haven't sat down to watch the full thing yet, but a quick viewing only has the following issues: slightly washed image (still viewable), barely noticeable VHS line at the bottom of the screen, & some lines that run across the screen every now and then. It seems very good (all things considered, at least.)

I found a few different DVD copies on eBay. Not sure how the quality is on either one, though.

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: January 12, 2018 19:32

I have the 4Reel edition.Overall, very boring film. The hotel scene with Bianca listening to a musical box with Jagger ignoring her is interesting. Jagger and Taylor smoking a joint making fun of the Texas countryside is funny.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 12, 2018 22:17

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Irix
rodes

I have a copy that claims to be the 'best edition' available (at least as of its 2004 release). It's about 91 minutes and includes bonus materials. I haven't sat down to watch the full thing yet, but a quick viewing only has the following issues: slightly washed image (still viewable), barely noticeable VHS line at the bottom of the screen, & some lines that run across the screen every now and then. It seems very good (all things considered, at least.)

I found a few different DVD copies on eBay. Not sure how the quality is on either one, though.

Am sure with all the technology available these days the quality could be considerably enhanced.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: January 13, 2018 14:40

Watched it on YouTube for the first time last night...

The good: beaver shots, yay! the shenanigans in the airplane, lots of Keith shots, the backstage stuff

The bad: heroin use, made me cringe! not enough taylor footage, his playing on one of the songs really stood out to me (forgot which one, I was in sleepy-mode)

The ugly: image quality, sometimes hard to tell who is who

Date: January 13, 2018 14:54

FrogSugar

The good: beaver shots, yay! the shenanigans in the airplane, lots of Keith shots, the backstage stuff

The bad: heroin use, made me cringe! not enough taylor footage, his playing on one of the songs really stood out to me (forgot which one, I was in sleepy-mode)

You might not like the new EC film then: long close ups of Eric snorting cocaine.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 14, 2018 00:06

ChrisG
Overall, very boring film.

Now take one step forward and wonder why the Stones let this project go to completion... I mean it's not as band-pleasing as the laughable "The Song Remains The Same" which basically shows the band as super-heroes.

Hadn't CSB contained scenes of sex and drug intake Jagger would have warranted an official arthouse release around 1974-75. Why? You should wonder why as the film describes touring America, not as a glorious venture led by a bunch of intrepide heroes but as a boring ordeal and the Stones as helpless victims of this ordeal.

I suspect Jagger is behind this. Jagger the guy who always thought rock'n roll is 50% interesting and 50% complete BS (unlike Keef who's a total believer in the rock grandness). Jagger, who was at the time very much keen of "deconstructing" the myth and the glory around the band.

"You idolize us well take a peek look behind the curtain" that's what Jagger tells us with CSB.
The irony is Jagger got double-crossed by Frank who; led by his contempt to the band and its music, stabbed Jagger in the back by including compromising material.

Well Jagger got the last laugh around 2010 as he prevented Frank from releasing CSB on his won DVD anthology.

Date: January 14, 2018 08:48

I always had great respect for CS Blues. Good comparison from DCBA re. TSRTS by Led Zep which was ruined IMO by those ridiculous segments. I think CS was done right; that the good times were few and devoid of r&r glamour. The drive in the car, the pool game. Mick and Keith listening to 'Happy', the elevator chant. And it also showed how the live shows descended upon the whole life style like a hurricane from out of space.

Date: January 14, 2018 11:19

Imho again CBS perfectly illustrates the KR quote he made around 78 or 79 :
"sometimes on tour the sole healthy two hours of your day are the ones you spend onstage".
Translation : the rest is travelling, getting bored, getting harassed, fighting boredom with drugs etc etc. This is what CSB is about.

Re: Any chance of a official release of CS Blues on dvd?
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 14, 2018 13:19

Surely being The Stones is more interesting than this???
I still cant believe how uninteresting this film is.
Reading Stanley Booth's 1969 book I was expecting so much more from 1972...

Date: January 14, 2018 14:46

jlowe
FrogSugar

You might not like the new EC film then: long close ups of Eric snorting cocaine.

I honestly don't mind cocaine snorting at all, but seeing needles stabbed into flesh and blood drawn, THAT makes me cringe!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 14, 2018 15:03

It’s on YouTube? eye popping smiley

Date: January 14, 2018 16:25

Koen

Yup!
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 14, 2018 18:00

FrogSugar
Koen

Yup!

Thanks for the hint .... works.

It was already available on YouTube in 2013 [iorr.org] but was then (as expected) removed ....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 15, 2018 02:33

The film had to be suppressed in the 1970s. Keith had far too many brushes with the law and had the film been exhibited, it could have influenced judge and/or jury against him. This was especially true in the wake of the Toronto bust. By the time of VIDEO REWIND, they had pulled what was most interesting from it (Stu "the man eating woman") and repeated it for 25x5. After that, I'd say STONES IN EXILE used up the best of what was left in the can from Robert Frank's footage.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 23, 2018 19:32

11 completed movies that were never released and the murky reasons why

When your film's too extreme for the Rolling Stones...

By Hugh Armitage
22 January 2018

This documentary was commissioned to coincide with the Rolling Stones' 1972 tour of the US, the band's first visit since the disastrous Altamont concert in 1969. What could possibly go wrong?

The Stones eventually decided that the film's portrayal of sex, drug use – including one 'groupie' shooting up heroin – and general debauchery probably wasn't something they wanted screening in your local Odeon.

A court order ruled that @#$%& Blues (cute name, BTW) could only be screened if co-director Robert Frank was present, and even then no more than four times a year. There have indeed been screenings, but don't expect a home entertainment release any century soon.

[www.digitalspy.com]

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: January 24, 2018 06:56

dcba
ChrisG
Overall, very boring film.

Now take one step forward and wonder why the Stones let this project go to completion... I mean it's not as band-pleasing as the laughable "The Song Remains The Same" which basically shows the band as super-heroes.

Hadn't CSB contained scenes of sex and drug intake Jagger would have warranted an official arthouse release around 1974-75. Why? You should wonder why as the film describes touring America, not as a glorious venture led by a bunch of intrepide heroes but as a boring ordeal and the Stones as helpless victims of this ordeal.

I suspect Jagger is behind this. Jagger the guy who always thought rock'n roll is 50% interesting and 50% complete BS (unlike Keef who's a total believer in the rock grandness). Jagger, who was at the time very much keen of "deconstructing" the myth and the glory around the band.

"You idolize us well take a peek look behind the curtain" that's what Jagger tells us with CSB.
The irony is Jagger got double-crossed by Frank who; led by his contempt to the band and its music, stabbed Jagger in the back by including compromising material.

Well Jagger got the last laugh around 2010 as he prevented Frank from releasing CSB on his won DVD anthology.

Jagger wasn’t “behind” anything. It’s a very simple equation: The Stones hired Frank to make a cool gritty documentary about their tour. Frank made his own film and it depicts the monotony and lack of glamour of being on the road. It’s boring on purpose. Yes, some scenes were contrived, and yes there is plenty of extant/unused footage depicting the shows themselves. But the content and entire make up and vision of the film is Frank’s.
Upon delivery the Stones were, obviously not happy with the results. And Frank was not happy with his art being suppressed - despite being paid. The Stones were the producers (they financed it). Frank was the director (controlled filming editing, content etc)
As someone mentioned, the final compromise was a certain number of showings allowed each year by each side of the dispute. The Stones have never chosen to offer a screening. Frank usually did once or twice/year. I, too, saw the late 80s screening in Boston. Frank arrives with his copy of the film, surpervises the showing/projection of it, does a Q&A (where he basically downplays the glamour and gripes about his art not being free) then leaves with the film in his possession.
I can say that the actual film on the big screen is quite crisper than any bootleg version (Sandy Cannon, 4Reels) and the audio is much clearer as well. People are recognizable, not so much echo, the colors aren’t washed out. Etc etc.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 24, 2018 07:24

The version that's been shown since the jump (I saw it with Frank hosting at U.C. Berkeley back in the 70's, which I think may have been the first screening) was already compromised. Frank cut footage of KR shooting up and lots of other stuff in hopes of getting the band's okay, and continued to tinker until the "final settlement". The footage left of a man shooting up is of the DP Danny Seymour.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 24, 2018 08:51

In my opinion - the film is depressing. The whole circus, as filmed, seems ridiculous and not even close to cool. I can see why the band never wanted the film released.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: January 24, 2018 10:39

This film in release official? I don't buy it. It's in a very good way in bootleg.
Maybe if they do some extra's in it? But I don't. What can you see in this film? Something all in your imagination.

Date: January 24, 2018 13:06

So what happens to the current 'Agreement'when Mr Frank meets his Maker? Would his heirs inherit his works...presumably, if that is his wish.
At some point it will become Public Domain, anyway.

Date: January 24, 2018 15:32

jlowe
So what happens to the current 'Agreement'when Mr Frank meets his Maker? Would his heirs inherit his works...presumably, if that is his wish.
At some point it will become Public Domain, anyway.

Frank has no children (hey're both dead) and his commonwife/GF seemingly has little interest in CSB : Frank's photographic legacy is of far greater interest to her and art historians.
Anyway as per anglo-saxon copyright laws the band/Jagger is the sole owner of the movie and to me he'll make sure it won't fall in the pblic domain any time soon.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 24, 2018 21:55

May be one should watch it high or drunk then the movie could become more interesting.It is a strange movie so it requires possibly some special prep.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 25, 2018 01:28

Yeah rollmops ... take all ya clothes off and guzzle down a bottle of Tanquery .... that'll help the CS Blues ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 25, 2018 12:48

I often wonder if Keith had the final say...would it get a proper release?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1159
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home