Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Any chance of a official release of CS Blues on dvd?
Posted by: rodes ()
Date: January 7, 2018 19:17

??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-14 11:20 by bv.

Re: Any chance of a official release of Covksuvker Blues on dvd?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 7, 2018 19:38

Who owns the rights to this film? Is it the Stones? If so it will never see the light of day.

Posted by: rodes ()
Date: January 7, 2018 19:40

Wich is the best version circulated for the moment?

Date: January 7, 2018 20:08

Big Covksvcker Blues, but what's the point? It will be just as hazy, slow and boring as on our bootlegs..

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 7, 2018 21:00

rodes

Wich is the best version circulated for the moment?

Dunno, but it's available on DVD: [www.TheVideoBeat.com] - $16.99.

Unfortunately there's no info by VideoBeat if it's the full 93-mins-version or if it's cut ....

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 7, 2018 21:19

Silver Dagger
Who owns the rights to this film? Is it the Stones? If so it will never see the light of day.

I think the rights belong to Robert Frank.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 7, 2018 23:07

Now that they're corporate rock, the Stones have an image to maintain no matter how far in the past certain things took place. So, don't hold your breath awaiting an official release.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 7, 2018 23:24

Parts of it (10 mins., if I'm not wrong) were officially released on the bonus DVD from Exile on Main St. Deluxe Edition.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 7, 2018 23:26

Around 2030, all this stuff starts getting released. This movie, old footage from other things, outtakes, studio recordings, etc.
By 2045, some of us may see kids inspired by uncovering this material start a new rock revival.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 7, 2018 23:30

it's a really upleasant film. have no desire to see it again.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 7, 2018 23:52

Deltics

I think the rights belong to Robert Frank.

Frank was commissioned to make the movie so the film legally belongs to the band (=Jagger). What's interesting is Frank most probably handed the Stones lawyers not only the CSB film itself but the entire raw material he owned : dozens of colour and B&W outtake reels filmed on 16mm format as well as Nagra reels recorded by "soundman" Danny Seymour.

Imagine there's an onstage-recording of a 72 show on one of these Nagra reels... eye popping smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-07 23:54 by dcba.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 8, 2018 02:57

Despite some glorious moments, this film is so utterly boring.
If the point was to show and describe what life on the road was like, with endless waiting and off-putting time-killing, it certainly succeded.
Seldom has I watched a movie as boring as CS Blues.
The best moments are the ones which are already sampled on other official releases.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 8, 2018 03:54

I seem to remember reading Frank owns the right to show the film, just as the Maysles Brothers own the 1969 tour video they shot I beleive, but he can only show the film if he is present at the showing...anyone else remember this? I any case any video from that era is precious IMHO so would love to see an official release but due to how it would impact the band image I doubt we will ever see it while Mick is alive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-08 05:08 by oldschool.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 8, 2018 04:45

I believe it's once a year with him present. I saw it in Boston some time in late 80s or early 90s.

T@3

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 8, 2018 06:14

During the voice-overs at the beginning of Crossfire Hurricane Taylor says something to the effect (paraphrasing) "I hope (the movie) is fun because that was what the band was..." I thought it an odd comment that contradicts other statements made by Taylor and others in the band. Try hard as you might the "fun" in CS Blues is exhausting. If my memory is accurate there is a scene where Jagger (and I think Taylor) are riding around in a car in the middle of nowhere and Jagger is just happy to be away from everyone, the hangers on, etc. It must have been a relief to get back on stage. There must have been times of fun, but no one (Wyman, Jagger or Taylor) has fond memories of the south of France and the making of Exile. Years after the fact the experience still does not set well with them. By the time of the '73 tour drugs were taking their toll. Taylor said his time on stage then was excruciating and he could not wait to get it over with. The movie is a miscalculation by the band. If it was not released THEN, there is no point in releasing it now. It is not going to get better with age.

Date: January 8, 2018 10:44

TeaAtThree
I believe it's once a year with him present.

That's correct and part of the deal with the Stones but as Frank is 93 (!?) opportunities to see CSB on a big screen will become rarer and rarer.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 8, 2018 10:49

Unless Copyright law changes, the film enters the Public Domain in 2067.
That is 1972 plus 95 years.

Date: January 8, 2018 10:59

jlowe

Are there other rules for films than for songs and other art forms?

Date: January 8, 2018 11:11

DandelionPowderman
jlowe

There are!
It's a very complex issue which certainly keeps the legal eagles busy.
Some 'product' can stretch a very long time into the future. For example the copyright on the written song/composition is I believe: from death of 'author' plus 70 years.
Disney Corporation will be arguing for changes in current laws: Mickey Mouse (trademark) is up in 2023 (1928 plus 95 years).

Date: January 8, 2018 11:17

jlowe
DandelionPowderman
jlowe

There are!
Some 'product' can stretch a very long time into the future. For example the copyright on the written song/composition is I believe: from death of 'author' plus 70 years.
Disney Corporation will be arguing for changes in current laws: Mickey Mouse (trademark) is up in 2023 (1928 plus 95 years).

Hm, as '67 Sessions recently were released, that makes it pretty clear that the rules are indeed 50 years for songs, not 70 years.

However, those rules might be different in the US, as the album isn't available over there, I heard?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 8, 2018 13:12

DandelionPowderman
jlowe
DandelionPowderman
jlowe

There are!

Hm, as '67 Sessions recently were released, that makes it pretty clear that the rules are indeed 50 years for songs, not 70 years.

However, those rules might be different in the US, as the album isn't available over there, I heard?

In the EU, it's 50 years for unreleased recordings and 70 years for released recordings. Don't know about film.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: January 8, 2018 13:22

Deltics
DandelionPowderman
jlowe
DandelionPowderman
jlowe

There are!

In the EU, it's 50 years for unreleased recordings and 70 years for released recordings. Don't know about film.

Yep, I know. But CS Blues is not released.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 8, 2018 13:48

Deltics
DandelionPowderman
jlowe
DandelionPowderman
jlowe

There are!

So in theory, now that it's 2018 anyone can put out any of the Satanic Majesty's session recordings without needing to ask ABCKO permission?

Date: January 8, 2018 15:04

Read!
1. 70 years following death of the songwriter applies to the COMPOSITION not the recording.
2. Different timeframes in different countries for the RECORDING.In the EU its 50 years for recorded work if unreleased. 70 years if already released.
3. So in theory (as I understand it) demos, rehearsal tapes etc pre 1968 could be released.(as they are in the public domain).
4. I've assumed that as its been shown a few times to members of the public, the CS Films is a released product. So 2067 in the public domain.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: January 8, 2018 15:57

pmk251
During the voice-overs at the beginning of Crossfire Hurricane Taylor says something to the effect (paraphrasing) "I hope (the movie) is fun because that was what the band was..." I thought it an odd comment that contradicts other statements made by Taylor and others in the band. Try hard as you might the "fun" in CS Blues is exhausting. If my memory is accurate there is a scene where Jagger (and I think Taylor) are riding around in a car in the middle of nowhere and Jagger is just happy to be away from everyone, the hangers on, etc. It must have been a relief to get back on stage. There must have been times of fun, but no one (Wyman, Jagger or Taylor) has fond memories of the south of France and the making of Exile. Years after the fact the experience still does not set well with them. By the time of the '73 tour drugs were taking their toll. Taylor said his time on stage then was excruciating and he could not wait to get it over with. The movie is a miscalculation by the band. If it was not released THEN, there is no point in releasing it now. It is not going to get better with age.

Just in passing, any idea what Mick Taylor thought of Gram Parsons?

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: January 8, 2018 15:58

I would like to see the film in better quality. The bootlegs I've seen, the picture is not clear enough to allow enjoyment.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 9, 2018 16:32

There are far better things in my wishlist for the Stones to release .Paris 76, one of the No Security shows , the PPV show from Miami 1994 ,How about video from Brussels to go along with the soundboard that was already released ?

Date: January 9, 2018 16:57

TheGreek
the PPV show from Miami 1994

Please not that one! The rehearsals from the previous day are actually better than the PPV itself (imo).

Date: January 9, 2018 17:00

dcba
TheGreek

Please not that one! The rehearsals from the previous day are actually better than the PPV itself (imo).

And that show was indeed officially released on video.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 9, 2018 19:45

DandelionPowderman
dcba
TheGreek

And that show was indeed officially released on video.
can you tell me more about the official release ?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1526
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home