Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Interview with Eric Clapton
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 6, 2018 11:46

Interesting interview with Eric Clapton at approximately 1:42:00 here:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Tickets for live cinema screenings of upcoming BFI Southbank interview with him on 10 January here:

[claptontickets.film]

Re: OT: Interview with Eric Clapton
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 6, 2018 18:29

Beast

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Tickets for live cinema screenings of upcoming BFI Southbank interview with him on 10 January here:

[claptontickets.film]

Thank you. You always post meaningful interviews (no pressure, lol)
BBC does it right. Got a little misty in that brief spot,
really looking forward to Eric’s
[www.sho.com]

Date: January 6, 2018 18:55

‘Tears In Heaven’ (from Wikipedia)

The years following 1990 were extremely turbulent for Clapton. In August 1990, his manager, two of his roadies and his friend and fellow musician Stevie Ray Vaughan were killed in a helicopter accident. Seven months later, on March 20, 1991, Clapton's 4-year-old son Conor died after falling from the 53rd-floor window of his mother's friend's New York City apartment. He landed on the roof of an adjacent four-story building.[4] After isolating himself for a period, Clapton began working again, writing music for a movie about drug addiction called Rush. Clapton dealt with the grief of his son's death by co-writing "Tears in Heaven" with Will Jennings. Shortly after his single was released, he went on to the MTV Unplugged series and recorded a new version of the song.[5] Unplugged topped charts and was nominated for nine Grammy Awards the year it was released. Clapton made numerous public service announcements to raise awareness for childproofing windows and staircases.

Clapton stopped playing it in 2004, as well as the song "My Father's Eyes", stating: "I didn't feel the loss any more, which is so much a part of performing those songs. I really have to connect with the feelings that were there when I wrote them. They're kind of gone and I really don't want them to come back, particularly. My life is different now. They probably just need a rest and maybe I'll introduce them for a much more detached point of view."[7] Clapton eventually resurrected both songs for his 50th anniversary world tour in 2013.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 6, 2018 19:14

Tears in Heaven was (and is) a great song, especially given the sad context.
When it was released, even my Grandmother loved it...can't help but think of her now whenever I hear it.

Date: January 6, 2018 22:14

Hairball
When it was released, even my Grandmother loved it...can't help but think of her now whenever I hear it.

I have never loved it. When it came out in 1991 I was 24 my roommate played it for me, explaining it all, she was so into it,
but I could not participate, and still do not/ turn it off,
and now that I have kids,
forget about it.
Give me some ‘Cocaine’ ‘Promises’ ‘Core’ ‘Let It Rain’ ‘Lay Down Sally’ etc etc

This documentary feels powerful.
I’m not going to call him ‘God’ tho LOL

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 6, 2018 22:29

Nice - thanks Beast!

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 6, 2018 22:35

35love
Hairball

I have never loved it. When it came out in 1991 I was 24 my roommate played it for me, explaining it all, she was so into it,
forget about it.
Give me some ‘Cocaine’ ‘Promises’ ‘Core’ ‘Let It Rain’ ‘Lay Down Sally’ etc etc

This documentary feels powerful.
I’m not going to call him ‘God’ tho LOL

Tears In Heaven is as interesting as Thief In The Night IMHO.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: January 6, 2018 22:45

35love
Hairball

'I have never loved it. When it came out in 1991 I was 24 my roommate played it for me, explaining it all, she was so into it,
forget about it.'

I have never liked this song either. Nor could I ever love the unplugged version of Layla, but I have about given up hope of ever hearing him play the original again, in fact I sometimes wonder if he remembers how to. The unplugged version is ok, but in my endless discussions I've had, even played them back to back, but give me the original any time.
And when he played/sung 'Moon River' live a few years back.....oh, please!!

'Give me some ‘Cocaine’ ‘Promises’ ‘Core’ ‘Let It Rain’ ‘Lay Down Sally’ etc etc'
Totally agree!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2018 22:46

To live life is to suffer...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 6, 2018 23:47

Agreed. Give me Got To Get Better In A Little While any day.

Date: January 7, 2018 01:45

RollingFreak
Agreed. Give me Got To Get Better In A Little While any day.

If I keep watching stuff like this
[m.youtube.com]
Eric might take ME away from MICK
LOL
Sacrilege
Never Happen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-07 02:03 by 35love.

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: January 10, 2018 01:44

Beast

[www.bbc.co.uk]

[claptontickets.film]

kool catch kid. kinda smooth. by the way nice to see ya recently at MOWAT thing in kings rd. Chelsea... it was fun, I kinda recall.. ha.. till the next mate..

Date: January 10, 2018 02:44

Now here’s a not so nice article/ I think Eric just has cold feet/ probably rethinking about his life being on public w/ the movie release, but his recovery story and all he’s done to help is remarkable, to say the least. And that clip of I saw him playing last year that band and he poured it all out.
Anyway, Eric Clapton
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 10, 2018 13:38

I think that Tears in Heaven is okay if you like that sort of thing .I grew up with Eric Clapton's music from the Bluesbreakers to Cream to Blind Faith and finally his own band and the first and most important part of what attracted me to Clapton was his back of the neck hair raising solos that would make my jaw drop to the floor in wide wonder and amazement and AWE . I have seen him live many times including the Concert of my Life when the Mighty CREAM reunited in Madison Square Garden in October 2005 on a cold wet rainy fall day (we had a weenie of Doctor in tow with us accompanying us to the show and we park a few blocks from the Garden and the good Doctor is bent out of shape because we had the nerve and audacity to actually walk a few blocks to the Garden to which the good Doctor chided us that we should take a cab instead) well Clapton and Bruce and Baker just tore the roof off the dump and my good friend and dear cousin remarked to me after the show that that evening's performance by MR. Clapton would ruin it for me ever seeing him live again with out Cream to which I scoffed but ill be damned if he wasn't right once again even though I have seen him several times since that magical night .Which brings me back to 1994 on a Radio Station bus trip to Hartford to see MR. Clapton on tour in support of the most beautiful and delicious blues tour de force album of From The Cradle .So on the bus there were folks talking about whether Clapton would perform Tears in Heaven which I wanted to puke on the spot .To me you cannot hear that trademark VIBRATO of Mr. Clapton while playing his acoustic Martin , which to me Clapton playing acoustic is noodling and not seriously plying his craft .End of Rant .

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 10, 2018 17:18

Eric Clapton, Sir Tom Jones and Van Morrison make special appearance at Guildford charity concert

The famous musicians were enlisted for the annual Paul Jones and Friends charity concert, which was held at G Live for the first time on Monday (January 8)

Music icons Sir Tom Jones , Eric Clapton and Van Morrison were among the celebrity guests at a charity concert in Guildford .

The musicians were enlisted for the annual Paul Jones and Friends concert, which raises money for charitable causes.

The gig was held at G Live in Guildford for the first time on Monday (January 8) and raised £25,000 for prostate cancer.

In past years, guests have included Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, Paul Weller, Shakin’ Stevens and Alan Price.

Paul Jones, along with his celebrity guests, presented a cheque to Prostate Project chairman Colin Stokes on stage at the end of the concert.

The money raised will go to the Prostate Project ‘Buy a Brick’ appeal to help fund a new world-class Urology Centre at Royal Surrey County Hospital.

[www.getsurrey.co.uk]

Eric Clapton at G Live 2018

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 10, 2018 18:02

Eric Clapton reveals he is going deaf.

[www.wonderwall.com]

Interview starts at approx. 1:37:00
[www.bbc.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 10, 2018 19:34

TheGreek
I think that Tears in Heaven is okay if you like that sort of thing .I grew up with Eric Clapton's music from the Bluesbreakers to Cream to Blind Faith and finally his own band and the first and most important part of what attracted me to Clapton was his back of the neck hair raising solos that would make my jaw drop to the floor in wide wonder and amazement and AWE ..

Same here Greek, but after those glory years his musical direction changed quite a few times - some of it good and some of it horrible.
I liked most of his '70's/early '80's solo albums (and most of what was on them), but the Phil Collins era of the mid'80's forward leaves alot to be desired. I first him saw at the ARMS Benefit in '83 where he was the 'Master of Ceremonies" and was a class act, and then again in '85 which was the beginning of the Collins era. Forever Man, She's Waiting...all of it was sort of bland, but not quite as bland as what would come with his next album August (another one infiltrated by Phil Collins). Tears in Heaven was far from Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes, but really not far from some of his more subtle solo material from the '70's - it might have fit well on No Reason to Cry for instance, and nobody would have even noticed it lol. Anyhow, have seen him many times since those '80's shows, with the Winwood co-headlining tour being one of the best. Hope he carries on as best he can at this point in his career..maybe an all acoustic blues album would suit him well.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 11, 2018 18:56

Deltics

[www.wonderwall.com]

[www.bbc.co.uk]

RS picked up the story too in some more detail [www.rollingstone.com] - although it's a bit hard to make sense of what they write, like boozing for 20 years being his "greatest asset because I can show some people, that are interested, that it's an option to drink like that", what ?!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 11, 2018 20:59

So I listened to the BBC interview and I'm still not sure what he means by that "greatest asset" idea ? That even if you're an alcoholic you can be great at what you do ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 12, 2018 07:19

gotdablouse
Deltics

[www.wonderwall.com]

[www.bbc.co.uk]

RS picked up the story too in some more detail [www.rollingstone.com] - although it's a bit hard to make sense of what they write, like boozing for 20 years being his "greatest asset because I can show some people, that are interested, that it's an option to drink like that", what ?!

"Eric Clapton’s Heartbreaking Confession Is Every Musician’s Worst Fear Come True"
[iloveclassicrock.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 12, 2018 08:19

I don't know, I do a Yahoo search to get the story where Eric Clapton says he's going deaf, and instead, at the top of the story, is some video "talk-show" interview with a 350-pound woman who wants to undergo surgery to get "the biggest butt in the world" -- what is needed is one of 100 inches.

[www.youtube.com]

But you really know the rock era has gone South when one of the commenters on the Eric Clapton story posts thusly:

Beelzebub 4 hr ago
Roger Townsend proclaimed years ago that all those loud live gigs had done permanent damage to his hearing. Remember The Who were considered the loudest band in the world. Jesus what a claim to fame. When we were young we thought we were immune to the maladies that affected the older generation but reality sets in as we age and we learn that we're nothing special.

So,... well... there you go.

I'll bet this person doesn't even know that Brian Taylor was a Stones founder member.

Date: January 12, 2018 09:33

stonehearted
I don't know, I do a Yahoo search to get the story where Eric Clapton says he's going deaf, and instead, at the top of the story, is some video "talk-show" interview with a 350-pound woman who wants to undergo surgery to get "the biggest butt in the world" -- what is needed is one of 100 inches.

[www.youtube.com]

But you really know the rock era has gone South when one of the commenters on the Eric Clapton story posts thusly:

Beelzebub 4 hr ago
Roger Townsend proclaimed years ago that all those loud live gigs had done permanent damage to his hearing. Remember The Who were considered the loudest band in the world. Jesus what a claim to fame. When we were young we thought we were immune to the maladies that affected the older generation but reality sets in as we age and we learn that we're nothing special.

So,... well... there you go.

I'll bet this person doesn't even know that Brian Taylor was a Stones founder member.

The Clapton is going def-story goes all around the world now..

Here's from norwegian papers (no 350-pound woman in the BBC radio-interview, as far as I know, though):
[www.dagbladet.no]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 09:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 12, 2018 12:31

From the accounts reported, it appears clear that Clapton is going through difficult times nowadays, but with great style and dignity, I'd say.

Date: January 12, 2018 13:02

gotdablouse
So I listened to the BBC interview and I'm still not sure what he means by that "greatest asset" idea ? That even if you're an alcoholic you can be great at what you do ?

I read it like this:
His past drinking is a great asset because he can show people that drinking like he did (addictive, like a drunk, hardcore) is an option.
Option, meaning you (anyone) can stop like he did.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 12, 2018 13:56

What a sad twist of fate for the Great Eric Clapton to be losing his hearing .Such a sad thing for the man that made me so happy by speaking to me and many others thru his blazing solos from his fretboard .While on the one hand it is not shocking due to all of the decibels that his poor ears have been exposed to but yet so sad because without his hearing it's like cutting his hands or fingers off .I feel so awful for him and wish him the best.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 13, 2018 00:52

I'm holding some hope for him; Pete Townshend has crippling Tinnitis that effectively side-lined him for quite some time. He had had an early injury too, that was actually taped on the Smother Brothers TV Show where Keith had gotten more than a little carried away with doubling-up, or more, on th Explosives that did blow his Kit apart, almost blew the side of Pete's head, and did send a cymbal cutting and swirling like a flying saber as well....
...Pete said that considerable bit of his problem started right there....and then things got louder for years and years and years...and years....
it was a 'variable' thing tho; untimately; he had claimed Crippling Pain and disability with it; and terrible humming and buzzing that was loud and overwhelming;
but it did mitigate; adjustments were made, a lot of them, with his stage volume and monitor set-ups and etc...
so....yeah, it's a shame and a heartbreak, not just because of his sterling brilliance, I mean Derek and Cream and The Yardbirds then a slew of outstanding stuff, plus a great big heart; an honesty and open-ness, even thru fragile times in the wake of knowing Jimi, who had blown his mind totally and etc...

I admire Clapton for so many things; his tone and brilliance; his casual distinctive driving brilliance., I guess I can't critique a lot of his output cause I do tend to go bavk to the stalwart more reliable classic stuff from him in my collection than recent decades. But the Festivals and charity work and outreach; and the various guest spots; his helping both The Stones and Beatles throughout their sterling best stuff. I mean, God bless him....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1575
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home