Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The Rolling Stones band meeting in January?
Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 8, 2018 19:43

GasLightStreet
I've had a look. They don't have a meeting every January.

In January 1978, the 1st from the way it reads seeing that they were in Paris working on SOME GIRLS on the 5th, Keith flew to Barbados to meet up with Jagger and Peter Rudge about the upcoming tour. That's not a band meeting. [timeisonourside.com]

In mid January, 1989, Mick and Keith met up in Barbados to talk about new songs. They both happened to be in the Caribbean on different islands at the same time. That's not a band meeting.

However, later, just a few days later, there is a band meeting - minus Bill Wyman, in NYC. [timeisonourside.com]

The next band meeting wasn't until mid-January of 1991. That's when Bill told them he was leaving. They had just finished recording Highwire and Sex Drive in early January. [timeisonourside.com]

Unless I missed something, they wouldn't hold another band meeting until March of 2004. [timeisonourside.com]

The next band meeting was late January of 2015. [timeisonourside.com]

So there's no annual meeting. They barely have meetings, in January or any other month.

I don't think there are necessarily all band meetings listed. I agree that they don't have a meeting every January. But de facto they actually came together in January often e.g. in 2014 for the Asian Tour rehearsals.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 8, 2018 20:22

There have been years when they have been working in January, either on tour or getting ready. That doesn't count as a "band meeting".

Reality is they don't have annual band meetings.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 8, 2018 20:40

It doesn't really matter. The truth is IORRians focus more on their activities and worry about how the album is coming along far more than the band does.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 9, 2018 06:33

GasLightStreet
I've had a look. They don't have a meeting every January.

In January 1978, the 1st from the way it reads seeing that they were in Paris working on SOME GIRLS on the 5th, Keith flew to Barbados to meet up with Jagger and Peter Rudge about the upcoming tour. That's not a band meeting. [timeisonourside.com]

In mid January, 1989, Mick and Keith met up in Barbados to talk about new songs. They both happened to be in the Caribbean on different islands at the same time. That's not a band meeting.

However, later, just a few days later, there is a band meeting - minus Bill Wyman, in NYC. [timeisonourside.com]

The next band meeting wasn't until mid-January of 1991. That's when Bill told them he was leaving. They had just finished recording Highwire and Sex Drive in early January. [timeisonourside.com]

Unless I missed something, they wouldn't hold another band meeting until March of 2004. [timeisonourside.com]

The next band meeting was late January of 2015. [timeisonourside.com]

So there's no annual meeting. They barely have meetings, in January or any other month.

Well ... My post stated not all of them are present at these meetings.

If they are working... they are together anyway ...so there is no need to hold a band meeting. I mentioned that as well.

I thought they (or at least Mick and Keith) met or possibly some of their management / lawyers etc. met in January at least on the years in which there was... 'proposed' ....Stones activity being kicked around / discussed to come in the year ahead but nothing official or set in stone (<some pun...ha)? This is where they discuss it and agree on things ... At least That is how I understood it.

This is prime for one of those type of years.

Date: January 9, 2018 17:57

It's probably fair to say that a lot of people thought they had an annual meeting. Based on what I found that's not the case. After all, I was curious enough to do some reading and was a bit surprised to find - at least what's been acknowledged, anyway, hardly anything. I would think, based on what is on timeisonourside.com, that it's accurate.

Certainly there is communication with various management, financial advisors and whatever else throughout the year from or with Mick and one might guess Keith, to some extent. There's reason to think Charlie and Ronnie wouldn't be involved in decisions. But there's also no reason to not think otherwise.

Otherwise there wouldn't be all the vault releases, ON AIR, box sets and greatest hits and all the tours and blah blah blah released.

Date: January 9, 2018 18:04

GasLightStreet
It's probably fair to say that a lot of people thought they had an annual meeting. Based on what I found that's not the case. After all, I was curious enough to do some reading and was a bit surprised to find - at least what's been acknowledged, anyway, hardly anything. I would think, based on what is on timeisonourside.com, that it's accurate.

Certainly there is communication with various management, financial advisors and whatever else throughout the year from or with Mick and one might guess Keith, to some extent. There's reason to think Charlie and Ronnie wouldn't be involved in decisions. But there's also no reason to not think otherwise.

Otherwise there wouldn't be all the vault releases, ON AIR, box sets and greatest hits and all the tours and blah blah blah released.

When did they move their headquarters to Holland? After that - in recent times - I have heard they have annual meetings, but I'm not sure if those are in January..

Date: January 9, 2018 18:38

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

When did they move their headquarters to Holland? After that - in recent times - I have heard they have annual meetings, but I'm not sure if those are in January..

I don't know but for some reason part of me thinks around the time they signed with Virgin Records.

Date: January 9, 2018 18:41

Well, according to this (ha ha), 1972!

Records released in the Netherlands show that the band's tax bill on their earnings of $450m (£240m) was a mere $7.2m. The information came to light after the Stones decided to open two foundations in Holland to manage the rights to their music, performances, merchandise and films and to settle the question of ownership should one of them die. The registration for the two new foundations, which will control the rights to the Stones' royalties, revealed that the Stones had been putting all their royalties into the Netherlands since 1972.

The figures were from 20 years of annual reports for Promogroup, the fiscal mother company of the Stones in the Netherlands, where the tax rate is so low because there is no direct tax on royalties, unlike in other countries.

[www.independent.co.uk]

Date: January 9, 2018 18:48

Seems to be true, 1972 to Holland:

The Rolling Stones

Though they sold millions of records in the ‘60s, poor management decisions left the Rolling Stones almost broke by 1971. “In the early days, you got paid absolutely nothing,” Mick Jagger told Fortune magazine in 2002. “I'll never forget the deals I did in the '60s, which were just terrible. ... You say, ‘Oh, I'm a creative person, I won't worry about this.’ But that just doesn't work. Because everyone would just steal every penny you've got.”

Each of the Stones owed the British government a quarter of a million dollars in taxes, a huge sum at the time. They decided to move the band to France to avoid taxes and shelter their earnings in a Netherlands holding company.

“We had to leave England to acquire enough money to pay the taxes because in those days, in England, the high tax rate was 90 percent, so that's very hard,” Jagger told CNN. “You made 100 pounds, they took 90. So it was very difficult to pay any debts back. So when we left the country, we would get more than the 10 pounds out of 100. You know, we might get 50 or something.”

More than 40 years later, Jagger and Richards remain tax exiles, only allowed to spend a few months a year in the U.K. Jagger commutes between homes in London, France and the West Indies; Richards lives in Connecticut. “The whole business thing is predicated a lot on the tax laws,” Richards told the New Yorker. He made no excuses or apologies about leaving Britain because of its tax rates. “We left, and they lost out. No taxes at all.”

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: January 9, 2018 19:49

Yeah, 1972, I've read that. My memory isn't what it used to be smiling smiley

Don't know when they set up a "real" office there, though..

Date: January 9, 2018 23:28

Let me clear things up (at least for myself). Here is my point / question:

When there is major Stones activity on the table or discussion ... but items or proposals not yet official or agreed upon (and they are not already together) .. They have band meetings. These are normally in January to lay out or agree on the year ahead.

For example ... in Jan 15 they met to discuss the zip-code tour (then nowhere near being named or any of that ..but Sticky fingers re-issue was in the cards already ... and to touch upon when to start a brand new album).

Zipcode did not even start until June (great set of shows btw ..and fantastic guitar driven sound). Still they met in January (of 2015) like several other years to discuss / agree on things and get an official game plan.

Now we have a 1. UK tour on the table 2. and an album to finish and release .. 3. With the possibility of more shows towards the later part of the year.

It is a real possibility that they will convene in January to either cement things or to continue work on the album (most likely both). This was my point ..

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-09 23:33 by IanBillen.

Date: January 10, 2018 00:25

DandelionPowderman
When did they move their headquarters to Holland? After that - in recent times - I have heard they have annual meetings, but I'm not sure if those are in January..[/quote

Hasn't their corporation been based in Holland since starting their tax exile? I believe it was Prince Rupert's suggestion. Pretty sure since STICKY FINGERS we've seen Musidor B.V. and since EXILE Promotone B.V. meaning limited liability company same as LLC in the States, Ltd. in the UK, and GmbH in Germany. I'm presuming that means "Besloten Vennootschap" and not Bjornulf Vik.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-10 00:27 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: January 10, 2018 00:36

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman
When did they move their headquarters to Holland? After that - in recent times - I have heard they have annual meetings, but I'm not sure if those are in January..[/quote

Hasn't their corporation been based in Holland since starting their tax exile? I believe it was Prince Rupert's suggestion. Pretty sure since STICKY FINGERS we've seen Musidor B.V. and since EXILE Promotone B.V. meaning limited liability company same as LLC in the States, Ltd. in the UK, and GmbH in Germany. I'm presuming that means "Besloten Vennootschap" and not Bjornulf Vik.

grinning smiley

Yes, but I was thinking of when they actually started to meet up in Holland, instead of merely having a mother company there.

The "salmon incident" happened during a stay in Amsterdam after one of those meetings, right? Was it the first?

Date: January 10, 2018 01:44

Okay, I misunderstood. Haven't a clue about the meeting locations or dates. I know there have been band meetings in May and in the summer and even the autmumn, but I don't know that locations are set or that there is an annual kickoff meeting. Logical guess, sure, but ultimately I still think we're really just talking around the topic of are they headed to the studio to finish the album before the end of March or not.

Date: January 10, 2018 03:22

What I found reveals that they don't always - and at least therefor don't "always" - meet in January - or for that matter have meetings - regardless of what may happen. I didn't read through every month of every year (I started in 1972) partially because during their busy years (which essentially ended in early 1984) they were generally in the midst of recording/mixing etc.

Only by going by the chronicle at timeisonourside.com.

So, Ian, it's not "normally" in January based on what's available to read, "normally" meaning not every January. Because that's a lot of Januarys. They have had meetings in January but not one as an annual deal. And they've been plenty busy outside of the years listed of what few they did have of meetings in January.

It's reached mythical proportions at this point. Clearly it's not the deal.

Date: January 10, 2018 03:46

GasLightStreet
What I found reveals that they don't always - and at least therefor don't "always" - meet in January - or for that matter have meetings - regardless of what may happen. I didn't read through every month of every year (I started in 1972) partially because during their busy years (which essentially ended in early 1984) they were generally in the midst of recording/mixing etc.

Only by going by the chronicle at timeisonourside.com.

So, Ian, it's not "normally" in January based on what's available to read, "normally" meaning not every January. Because that's a lot of Januarys. They have had meetings in January but not one as an annual deal. And they've been plenty busy outside of the years listed of what few they did have of meetings in January.

By normally I meant 'normally the month is January' ... and the meetings I discuss and refer to are from the year 1989 and onward ..

>>Not earlier Stones!! Lol In 1972 ....things / business / the band... their lifestyle ...>> everything<<< was different lol. I was meaning from 1989 and onward... The second half or it's final shift .. ...

They have met several times in the month of January to discuss the year ahead ...if there were proposals or they were going to be on the road or thinking about doing some major things as a band in the year ahead since 89. This is what I was referring to. If there were already solid plans in place Mick and Keith would meet in January to write songs together. January has been easily the most common starting point ... or meeting month since 1989.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-10 05:55 by IanBillen.

Date: January 10, 2018 04:40

GasLightStreet

The real question is are the meetings pre-booked?

Date: January 10, 2018 04:44

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet

The real question is are the meetings pre-booked?

Yes! Because they haven't been booked yet!

Date: January 10, 2018 04:45

DandelionPowderman
The "salmon incident" happened during a stay in Amsterdam after one of those meetings, right? Was it the first?

The "Salmon Incident" occurred in the same parallel universe where Muddy Waters was painting the Goddamned ceiling in 1964. Whether annual January meetings are part of this same pocket universe has yet to be established. At present, Ian seems to possess inside information he is not at liberty to disclose. For now, I'm hoping Ian is actually Krishna Sharma.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 10, 2018 04:55

GasLightStreet
There have been years when they have been working in January, either on tour or getting ready. That doesn't count as a "band meeting".

They should record the next band meeting and put out a 'spoken record'...I'd buy it.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 10, 2018 05:32

treaclefingers

They should record the next band meeting and put out a 'spoken record'...I'd buy it.

All right, that was funny.

Date: January 10, 2018 05:51

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

I'd buy it too ... but we probably wouldn't get it until 2025 .. .... grinning smiley

Re: I Wonder if they will hold an official band meeting this month (as they often do at the start of each year)?
Date: January 11, 2018 06:14

Koen
Keith is busy shoveling snow on his driveway in Connecticut.

Keith shoveling snow?!?! You say that like he doesn't know what one of these are!

Date: January 11, 2018 06:50

True enough. Keith's been blowing snow for more decades than I've walked the earth.

Date: January 11, 2018 08:31

Rocky Dijon
True enough. Keith's been blowing snow for more decades than I've walked the earth.

Indeed he has ... all types of it :d

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 11, 2018 08:58

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Charlie only

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 11, 2018 10:55

Charlie "...can I retire yet ? "

Everybody else in unison " NO ! "

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 11, 2018 11:36

"Show Is On 'til We Drop" it shall be!

Date: January 11, 2018 12:37

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman

The "Salmon Incident" occurred in the same parallel universe where Muddy Waters was painting the Goddamned ceiling in 1964. Whether annual January meetings are part of this same pocket universe has yet to be established. At present, Ian seems to possess inside information he is not at liberty to disclose. For now, I'm hoping Ian is actually Krishna Sharma.

Ok, let me re-phrase that: «The «you're my @#$%& singer-incident» winking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 11, 2018 12:53

Band meeting January 9

RONNIE..so whats up for next year
MICK...I would like to tour again for maybe..
Charlie...oh no i want to relax
Keef..yeah but we gotta finish the new album first
MICK..I read somewhere about a good room..Verona.
Ronnie..i am busy with the twins
Keef..maybe we should do Blue n lonesome part2.
Mick..Verona reminds me of a girl i gotta date.
Ronnie..maybe we should release the Mocambo shows
Keef..dont remember much about it
Charlie..i remember a woman called Margaret
Mick..lets do 10 shows in the UK .a few in Europe and.
Charlie..oh no when are we gonna stop touring then
All together...when we die.

Jeroen

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home