Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: The Rolling Stones band meeting in January?
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 7, 2018 01:55

beachbreak
I have no doubt they could produce a fine, new album.

An album of songs will last forever, a tour just a few months.

I'll take the album over a tour anyday.

I'd go with the tour over the album.

I would try to make every show and make memories (as on any stones tour) that indeed will last a lifetime (skrew forever, I'm in it for me winking smiley.
When it's all said and done, there are plenty of great stones albums I can listen to... But the tour experience: the fan camaraderie, the travel for the shows, the buildup to show time,these are some of the best experiences and memories in life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-07 02:05 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 7, 2018 02:23

Reading some of these thoughts I have to agree about the tour (concert) feelings, they are indeed very special and to be shared amongst believers for sure. Never the less I really hope The Stones will give us both a record and another tour. Guess I'm also "a greedy mother" like Keef sang in Cross Eyed Heart.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 7, 2018 03:14

Considering their age I would rather see them tour and dig deeper into their massive catalog for some little played songs. I mean how much longer can they really tour and put on 2 hours shows like they have been?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 7, 2018 03:19

Play the new songs live this summer and release as a new (live) album in November

Re: I Wonder if they will hold an official band meeting this month (as they often do at the start of each year)?
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 7, 2018 05:55

georgelicks
Tour is the first priority with the Stones but family time is the number one priority, they work 2 or 3 months a year, not more than that, so there's not much time to work on other things as a new album, a couple of weeks each year and then back with the family.

The new album is not on Universal's Q1 or Q2 schedule, is not even done yet.

Hi Georgelicks .. Their family's .. is .. and always was (for the most part anyway) a top priority for them .. the number one. That and their health certainly is .. it is only natural and it should be.

They are going to finish most of the new album before any UK tour .. So right at the moment .. the album is The Rolling Stones next priority of business.

Universal may want it on for Quarter 3 or 4 (you would know). Album prolly won't come out until end of summer or fall of 2018 (as you understand) .. However the album will be out in 2018. That is the plan.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 7, 2018 06:18

I can't imagine a new album. They've pretty much played out their old personas. Old grizzled blues survivors suits them now. It would be nice if they could tackle maturity for once. I would hope they would have enough left to lead, rather than replicate their past on a weaker footing. But they need stronger instrumentation at this point and I don't see them bringing in the necessary armament. I'll expect little, and hope for pleasant surprise.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 7, 2018 07:07

We had, essentially, six new Jagger lyrics and vocals on top of old Stones backing tracks in 2010 and another six new Jagger lyrics and vocals on old outtakes in 2011. Some new guitar parts as well. We also had a piecemeal recording of a Dylan cover in 2011. We had two new Stones tracks in 2012. We had an album of blues covers in 2016. We had two new Mick solo tracks in 2017 and in 2011 had two full Mick solo tracks and partial Mick tracks - all via SuperHeavy. We had a Keith album in 2015.

I have no difficulty imagining a new Stones album by Christmas 2018. They've already knocked together enough material for a few albums between 2010 and 2017. Getting more of the same of comparable quality (initially seeming amazing, but settling into mixed results after the afterglow fades) seems highly credible. Just don't set your expectations too high and just enjoy it for what it is.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 7, 2018 07:15

.... it aint hard to imagine ... it'll be filthy and it'll slay ....

ROCKMAN

Re: I Wonder if they will hold an official band meeting this month (as they often do at the start of each year)?
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 7, 2018 07:18

Beast
Koen
Keith is busy shoveling snow on his driveway in Connecticut.

The only thing Keith is likely to be shovelling right now is sand in Parrot Cay cool smiley

In his Happy New Year message on Facebook you can see the palm fronds waving outside the window.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 7, 2018 09:23

Rocky Dijon
We had, essentially, six new Jagger lyrics and vocals on top of old Stones backing tracks in 2010 and another six new Jagger lyrics and vocals on old outtakes in 2011. Some new guitar parts as well. We also had a piecemeal recording of a Dylan cover in 2011. We had two new Stones tracks in 2012. We had an album of blues covers in 2016. We had two new Mick solo tracks in 2017 and in 2011 had two full Mick solo tracks and partial Mick tracks - all via SuperHeavy. We had a Keith album in 2015.

I have no difficulty imagining a new Stones album by Christmas 2018. They've already knocked together enough material for a few albums between 2010 and 2017. Getting more of the same of comparable quality (initially seeming amazing, but settling into mixed results after the afterglow fades) seems highly credible. Just don't set your expectations too high and just enjoy it for what it is.

If the "few albums" are of the same quality like the Jagger single, One More Shot or Crosseyed Heart then I,hope they remain unreleased.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 7, 2018 09:30

IanBillen
I Wonder if they will hold an official band meeting this month
Probably not... unless you see news photos like this of them leaving the same building...

The above shots were from 2011. They still look the same, don't they?
Story from: [www.iorr.org]

Date: January 7, 2018 09:39

Why should they meet in early January, only 10 weeks after the last show, if the next leg doesn't begin before late May?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 7, 2018 11:45

Monsoon Ragoon
Why should they meet in early January

Because, as Ian states in his first post: "Most of the time the group meets in early January to discuss business and any 'possible' plans for the year that is to follow."

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: January 7, 2018 12:05

Rolling Hansie
Monsoon Ragoon
Why should they meet in early January

Because, as Ian states in his first post: "Most of the time the group meets in early January to discuss business and any 'possible' plans for the year that is to follow."

Is this true?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 7, 2018 15:30

Green Lady
Beast
Koen

The only thing Keith is likely to be shovelling right now is sand in Parrot Cay cool smiley

In his Happy New Year message on Facebook you can see the palm fronds waving outside the window.

And here we hear the man himself making music!

[www.instagram.com]

Date: January 7, 2018 15:45

Monsoon Ragoon
If the "few albums" are of the same quality like the Jagger single, One More Shot or Crosseyed Heart then I,hope they remain unreleased.

I know a number of vocal fans feel this way, but ask yourself why? In today's world, you can stream the entire album for free multiple times before deciding if you want to buy or not. If you don't like it, don't buy it or just buy the tracks you do like. They haven't somehow ruined the past work you did enjoy if you don't like their work in 2018. The Big 4 or 5 albums are still there just the same as SATANIC MAJESTIES and DIRTY WORK. It's just a record of what they produced as artists in a certain period. Nothing more. Most fans will never love all 55 years of recorded music equally.

Date: January 7, 2018 15:51

Monsoon Ragoon
Why should they meet in early January, only 10 weeks after the last show, if the next leg doesn't begin before late May?

Good question. I wasn't actually aware of an annual band meeting every January. Not saying Ian is wrong because he may know this for a fact. Going just by my sometimes spotty memory, they meet at different times throughout the year to decide whether to record or tour again and to look at offers on the table and even to discuss conceptually what they are willing to do when they do work. For example, whether to use different producers on an album or whether to agree to a more professional stage show with lighting cues and inflatables and back-up singers. All of these things are hashed out in meetings the same as pouring over competing offers to tour or asking everyone if they'll commit to a tour of a certain length or if they're willing to go through another album that will be largely ignored in favor of greatest hits when they do tour. All of it comes into play. An annual meeting to review the prior fiscal year and look ahead to what is in coming in terms of archival releases is likely, but could just be conference calls or attended online just as easily.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 7, 2018 16:04

Beast
Green Lady
Beast
Koen

And here we hear the man himself making music!

[www.instagram.com]

Oh! What a Feeling, which can be found on the bootleg CD Unknown Dreams, among others.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 7, 2018 17:11

Rocky Dijon
Is it? Sounds pretty consistent with this post...

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: November 16, 2017 07:00

I'm sure they'd like to finish it, but getting everyone together has not been easy. With a tour planned, that removes most of next year. It's not like the old days. I believe the only way this album gets done is if they take a year off from touring. And if they take a year off from touring, they could be done.

It's a matter of choices right now. We shall see what happens.

if it takes them an entire year to 'finish' this album, i would question whether it would be worth listening to. i'm for quality control but if it takes that long i'd question whether the music itself a problem.

Date: January 7, 2018 17:42

Not saying I agree it would take that long, just stating mpj200's message was consistent for what he's been saying for a bit now. I think it's his opinion, not insider info. Nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 7, 2018 18:49

Rockman
.... it aint hard to imagine ... it'll be filthy and it'll slay ....

thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 7, 2018 22:08

I'd rather hear something new than nothing.
I'd probably rather hear another covers album than something new.
I'd rather have another Keith solo album than a new Stones album - covers or originals.

But....

I'd rather they go out on the road and enjoy themselves while making people happy vs. stressing in the studio attempting to record an album.
They've got the live shows down pat (and it's more lucrative for them), while any original/new music from them is questionable.
Does the world really need another Getta Grip or Doom and Gloom? Probably not. Does the UK need another Rolling Stones tour? Definitely yes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-07 22:09 by Hairball.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 8, 2018 03:03

Rocky Dijon
Monsoon Ragoon

Good question. I wasn't actually aware of an annual band meeting every January. Not saying Ian is wrong because he may know this for a fact. Going just by my sometimes spotty memory, they meet at different times throughout the year to decide whether to record or tour again and to look at offers on the table and even to discuss conceptually what they are willing to do when they do work. For example, whether to use different producers on an album or whether to agree to a more professional stage show with lighting cues and inflatables and back-up singers. All of these things are hashed out in meetings the same as pouring over competing offers to tour or asking everyone if they'll commit to a tour of a certain length or if they're willing to go through another album that will be largely ignored in favor of greatest hits when they do tour. All of it comes into play. An annual meeting to review the prior fiscal year and look ahead to what is in coming in terms of archival releases is likely, but could just be conference calls or attended online just as easily.

They often meet in January to discuss plans 'if there are any' .. or propose plans (if it calls for it) ... and to discuss any business related ventures .. such as archival releases etc. etc.

The early January meetings each year to discuss biz or any plans for the year ahead in which most or all of the band meets have been going on for quite a while.

Now that The Stones are active and they are sort of in the middle of something .. the call for an official band meeting may not be necessary is what I was wondering.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 8, 2018 06:23

Based on what is available to read that is known, it seems the way it works is they have a meeting in January and announce in February when they're

1. not working at all, like in 2010 and 2011 - We're announcing that we're not doing anything... as a band.
2. already have things in line or are planning to 2012-2016
3. how long have they been having meetings in January?

Keith: Ahhhh haaa haaa... whaddaya think? Should we get it together this year?
Mick: Ah dunno. I'm still applying the money possibilties to being bothered.
Charlie: Whut?
Ronnie: Yes!
Keith: Shuddup, Ronnie.
Mick: Whut about Rod, then?
Ronnie: He's pulling a Sinatra!
Mick: Right then. Well so you might as well go paint.
Ronnie: It's all I do! Well, youknowwhutImean.
Keith: Unless yer makin' babies and whoring yerself out to whomever.
Ronnie: But I have fun!
Keith: Yeah but what have you DONE?
Ronnie: Not a dance album.
Mick: Quiet, Ronnie.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: January 8, 2018 14:09

Koen

Yeah, and ... if ... the band will meet on business, say, at Herengracht Amsterdam, they'll be busy shoveling the money that has come in last year.

Date: January 8, 2018 14:28

IanBillen
Rocky Dijon
Monsoon Ragoon

They often meet in January to discuss plans 'if there are any' .. or propose plans (if it calls for it) ... and to discuss any business related ventures .. such as archival releases etc. etc.

The early January meetings each year to discuss biz or any plans for the year ahead in which most or all of the band meets have been going on for quite a while.

Now that The Stones are active and they are sort of in the middle of something .. the call for an official band meeting may not be necessary is what I was wondering.

I thought these meetings were more of strictly business, fiscal year run-through, tax planning etc. Something they, as CEOs, would do every year, but what do I know smiling smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 8, 2018 14:46

DandelionPowderman
IanBillen
Rocky Dijon
Monsoon Ragoon

I thought these meetings were more of strictly business, fiscal year run-through, tax planning etc. Something they, as CEOs, would do every year, but what do I know smiling smiley

You mean (shock horror) ... these meetings are not about whether or not Keith should keep that low E string on his open-g numbers, instead of confusing everyone by taking it off and 'inventing' the 5 string guitar ???

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: January 8, 2018 14:50

grinning smiley thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 8, 2018 18:40

I've had a look. They don't have a meeting every January.

In January 1978, the 1st from the way it reads seeing that they were in Paris working on SOME GIRLS on the 5th, Keith flew to Barbados to meet up with Jagger and Peter Rudge about the upcoming tour. That's not a band meeting. [timeisonourside.com]

In mid January, 1989, Mick and Keith met up in Barbados to talk about new songs. They both happened to be in the Caribbean on different islands at the same time. That's not a band meeting.

However, later, just a few days later, there is a band meeting - minus Bill Wyman, in NYC. [timeisonourside.com]

The next band meeting wasn't until mid-January of 1991. That's when Bill told them he was leaving. They had just finished recording Highwire and Sex Drive in early January. [timeisonourside.com]

Unless I missed something, they wouldn't hold another band meeting until March of 2004. [timeisonourside.com]

The next band meeting was late January of 2015. [timeisonourside.com]

So there's no annual meeting. They barely have meetings, in January or any other month.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 8, 2018 18:58

GasLightStreet
I've had a look. They don't have a meeting every January.

In January 1978, the 1st from the way it reads seeing that they were in Paris working on SOME GIRLS on the 5th, Keith flew to Barbados to meet up with Jagger and Peter Rudge about the upcoming tour. That's not a band meeting. [timeisonourside.com]

In mid January, 1989, Mick and Keith met up in Barbados to talk about new songs. They both happened to be in the Caribbean on different islands at the same time. That's not a band meeting.

However, later, just a few days later, there is a band meeting - minus Bill Wyman, in NYC. [timeisonourside.com]

The next band meeting wasn't until mid-January of 1991. That's when Bill told them he was leaving. They had just finished recording Highwire and Sex Drive in early January. [timeisonourside.com]

Unless I missed something, they wouldn't hold another band meeting until March of 2004. [timeisonourside.com]

The next band meeting was late January of 2015. [timeisonourside.com]

So there's no annual meeting. They barely have meetings, in January or any other month.
The next band meeting will be somewhere around 2025... smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1625
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home