Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rocks Off individual tracks
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 31, 2017 00:33

I don't know f I am late to the party, and everyone already knows about these, but I found this buried on the Exhibition thread and was blown away. The backing vocals are just otherworldly!

KR guitar

The full line up can be found in the Exhibtionism thread.

Thank you mrpaulincanada ! is this from some part of the 'recording studio' exhibit?

I, for one, would love to hear more stems please!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-31 00:35 by peoplewitheyes.

Re: Rocks Off individual tracks
Date: December 31, 2017 01:17

Quite interesting to hear this isolated track. Sounds a bit out of tune and "clumsy", but on the final mix it works perfectly well !!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 31, 2017 03:06

they had stations where you could mix 6 different songs (maybe it was 8). pretty fun. & yes it was part of the studio section of the exhibit. don't ask me which songs. i wasn't well at all when i went through it. interesting, they cut back on the hours that the exhibit is open in vegas. except for new year's eve, its a slow part of the year down there. they must not have had a big crowd. i went when it was still pretty new in october & there weren't many there then either. it was a weekday though around dinner time. i really enjoyed it.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 31, 2017 04:59

Love it; never heard that isolated. it's gorgeous really; it's dirty but dead-on. There's some awful (kinda hollow low end) kind of 'artifacts' (not the actual guitar playing) in there that are annoying; but aside from that, I could just listen to this clip of rhythm track over and over for days. It's just this squshisy-sounding, sparkly dirty little funky tight pristine endless rollin' down that track...it's it's own train; it don't even matter where it's goin' it's the getting there and this is getting there dead-on crunchy right & tight...this guy deserves to be a trillionaire, a quadruple-zillionairess, for doing this elementary, seemingly almost stunningly simplistic lines; pieces of chords...it's own sound n it's own space.... over and over and over like this on so many tunes for so many years on so many stages...i mean this is the force power of actual movement, scary to think what would happen if an understanding propulsive rubbery brown bass started to dance around that rhythm; Good God if there was a set of traps and some back beat on a bass drum...it would be too much for me to take...i'd have to just surrender.

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 31, 2017 09:07

That's great! I would love to hear the bridge!

Date: December 31, 2017 14:26

Thank you. Sounds really weird, but put together it is one off the moet perfect songs ever

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 31, 2017 21:26

This rules.

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: December 31, 2017 23:03

Whew! Now I know how to spend my time at Exhibitionism in 2 weeks. Love those bits and pieces! Happy New Year.

"Scarlet,why you wearin' my heart, on your sleeve, where it ain't supposed to be?"

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: January 1, 2018 00:11

Thanks !. I tried to record it in London but I failed, so thanks.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 2, 2018 06:37

Thank you so much for your post - I would never have looked in that giant thread. thanks for calling attention to these isolated tracks.

I live in Las Vegas and haven't been to Exhibitionism -- need to hit it up before it leaves town. If nothing else, looking forward to playing around with mixing Rocks Off.

thanks again for sharing!
-swiss

Date: January 2, 2018 15:05

I too, want to thank you for posting these incredible tracks. I had posted in the other thread about this, but seems no one is digging through that.
I was really impressed with Bill Wyman's fat sound. This must be his little home made Bass. You can not hear any frets.
And the percussion track baffled me. Sounds like a Tom. This track is more about embellishment of what is already there, rather than a new part.
And the BU Vocal track is great. During my first listenings of 'Exile' back in the Year Zero, I always assumed any BU vocal was Keith. So I pretty much thought that green photo of them on the cover with the booze is them singing "Rocks Off".
Then later I came to believe that it was another Jagger vocal, stacked on top. He has done this at times. And there are times when Mick and Keith can sound very similar. But I never realized it was 3 vocals. That Jagger was doing both low, and it is Keith on the high. It is also a well defined part. The register IMO is the reason they can never deliver this one live. IMO if they change the key for live stage it would make it possible for Jagger to project.
I like the Taylor track because it is exactly what the whole Exile myth is about. Somebody noodling around in the kitchen, and someone turns him up 2 or 3 times @ song.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 2, 2018 18:10

What's another interesting aspect is, when listening to the backing vocals, how (I think) some of the words are different - but also there are some bum notes.

The Beatles did the same thing - they had bum notes but left them. Within the song they can't be "heard".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 2, 2018 18:29

That Taylor part sounds almost like some modern classical piece...sprinkling his magic over the tune. Without him it would have still been a great chugger of a tune, but with him it's elevated to a holy level.
Like very fine and subtle brushstrokes in the hair of the Mona Lisa painted by Leonardo Da Vinci. Might not be the main attraction of the painting, but the finesse is evident when viewed as a whole.

Date: January 2, 2018 20:56

Hairball
That Taylor part sounds almost like some modern classical piece...sprinkling his magic over the tune. Without him it would have still been a great chugger of a tune, but with him it's elevated to a holy level.
Like very fine and subtle brushstrokes in the hair of the Mona Lisa painted by Leonardo Da Vinci. Might not be the main attraction of the painting, but the finesse is evident when viewed as a whole.

Which part?

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: January 2, 2018 21:18

Aw... what lovely sounds....
The Rocks Off remix was one of the absolute highlights on the exhibit for me.
Thanks mrpaulincanada smiling smiley

Does anybody manage to download the files from Clyp?

Date: January 2, 2018 21:51

DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Which part?

This I assume :

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 2, 2018 22:26

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Which part?

This I assume :

[www.youtube.com]

That intro is Keith smiling smiley

The 5 seconds outro is nice indeed, although I think Hairball exaggerates its significance for the song.

Taylor is audible a few other places in the song as well, although it took some years, the Hopkins-tapes and the Exhibitionism-tracks to highlight those parts..

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 2, 2018 22:34

Hairball

It's subtle but very important thumbs up

Date: January 2, 2018 23:13

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Which part?

This I assume :

[www.youtube.com]

The 5 seconds outro is nice indeed, although I think Hairball exaggerates its significance for the song.

Taylor is audible a few other places in the song as well, although it took some years, the Hopkins-tapes and the Exhibitionism-tracks to highlight those parts..

I'm referring to the "Hammond" sounding guitar, Mathijs pointed at it a while ago.
And:
[clyp.it]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-02 23:14 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: January 2, 2018 23:56

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Which part?

This I assume :

[www.youtube.com]

I'm referring to the "Hammond" sounding guitar, Mathijs pointed at it a while ago.
And:
[clyp.it]

I know, but expected to hear the outro in your link.

I agree about Taylor's track making the song better, though (not the outro in particular). It sort of ties the other guitars together, imo.

Date: January 3, 2018 00:04

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Which part?

This I assume :

[www.youtube.com]

And:
[clyp.it]

I know, but expected to hear the outro in your link.

I agree about Taylor's track making the song better, though (not the outro in particular). It sort of ties the other guitars together, imo.

I wasn't aware of Taylor's track until it was brought up here. Yes,it has a subtle function indeed. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-03 00:05 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 3, 2018 00:23

Posted by mrpaulincanada in the Exhibition thread which is linked to above by peoplewitheyes in the first post of this thread- I was referring to this:
Rocks Off - Mick Taylor guitar

As I said "sounds almost like some modern classical piece...without him it would have still been a great chugger of a tune, but with him it's elevated to a holy level",
and as Redhotcarpet stated, "It's subtle but very important".

edit: I see TheflyingDutchman zeroed in on what I was referring to above. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-03 00:29 by Hairball.

Date: January 3, 2018 00:37

It's funny. I don't recognise anything from the final track smiling smiley

More like a calypso than a classical piece, though..

Date: January 4, 2018 01:02

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Which part?

This I assume :

[www.youtube.com]

And:
[clyp.it]

What do you mean by "Hammond" guitar Dutchman?
I almost wish I had never heard the solo-ed Taylor track, because it is ALL I can hear now on the official version LOL.
It is pretty amazing how the lead vocals make this song; pull it together, and give it so much of its identity and fire. This is one of my alltime favorite Stones tracks by far. But the instrumental track alone, could easily have come out of one of the Pathe Marconi outtake sessions. A solid swinging Stonesgroove, sure, but its the vocals that make it.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 10, 2018 04:18

Hairball
Posted by mrpaulincanada in the Exhibition thread which is linked to above by peoplewitheyes in the first post of this thread- I was referring to this:
Rocks Off - Mick Taylor guitar

As I said "sounds almost like some modern classical piece...without him it would have still been a great chugger of a tune, but with him it's elevated to a holy level",
and as Redhotcarpet stated, "It's subtle but very important".

edit: I see TheflyingDutchman zeroed in on what I was referring to above. thumbs up

thumbs up

Date: January 10, 2018 10:10

Palace Revolution 2000
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Which part?

This I assume :

[www.youtube.com]

And:
[clyp.it]

What do you mean by "Hammond" guitar Dutchman?
I almost wish I had never heard the solo-ed Taylor track, because it is ALL I can hear now on the official version LOL.
It is pretty amazing how the lead vocals make this song; pull it together, and give it so much of its identity and fire. This is one of my alltime favorite Stones tracks by far. But the instrumental track alone, could easily have come out of one of the Pathe Marconi outtake sessions. A solid swinging Stonesgroove, sure, but its the vocals that make it.

I reckon he means the out of phase-sound Taylor had on this song. Sort of Leslie-sounding (aka Hammond).

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 10, 2018 11:03

That Taylor track is interesting - so much there that you can't really hear in the master mix. But for example at 0:28 in the clip, there's definitely a familiar part that cuts through in the master.

I agree it has a calypso feel to it with a lot of major notes. As I wrote in the other thread (thinking it was this thread), I kinda wish Mick T's contribution to this track was bigger or more audible, but then again it's really well balanced as it is. I can imagine he was disappointed at times at how the mixes were done (at least on Exile - on Sticky, GHS and IORR his contributions were more obvious).

Date: January 10, 2018 11:15

LieB
That Taylor track is interesting - so much there that you can't really hear in the master mix. But for example at 0:28 in the clip, there's definitely a familiar part that cuts through in the master.

I agree it has a calypso feel to it with a lot of major notes. As I wrote in the other thread (thinking it was this thread), I kinda wish Mick T's contribution to this track was bigger or more audible, but then again it's really well balanced as it is. I can imagine he was disappointed at times at how the mixes were done (at least on Exile - on Sticky, GHS and IORR his contributions were more obvious).

Yeah, it's puzzling. But keep in mind that these tracks aren't complete. The things we actually hear on the master (after the intro + a few other places + the outro) is not included here, maybe with the exception of what's going on round 0:28.

And the sound of this track is very different to that of the outro solo guitar, for instance.

Makes me wonder if this was an earlier take from Taylor...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-10 11:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 10, 2018 16:30

DandelionPowderman

I reckon he means the out of phase-sound Taylor had on this song. Sort of Leslie-sounding (aka Hammond).

It's the Gibson ES-355 with the Varitone switch in 3rd or 4th position, giving this quacky out of phase sound.

Mathijs

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 11, 2018 12:41

DandelionPowderman
LieB

Yeah, it's puzzling. But keep in mind that these tracks aren't complete. The things we actually hear on the master (after the intro + a few other places + the outro) is not included here, maybe with the exception of what's going on round 0:28.

And the sound of this track is very different to that of the outro solo guitar, for instance.

Makes me wonder if this was an earlier take from Taylor...

I agree, the outro solo thing appears to have a different sound, but I think this is the track that ended up on the master - where only the loudest part are audible, or they cut out (or turned down) parts in between that we hear here (although that may have been too much work with the technology of '72).

I'm gonna listen to the Nicky Hopkins outtake and compare when I get the time. (I believe that one had the master take of Mick T but more audible than the released version.)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2037
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home