Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT: Oasis
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 9, 2018 22:11

umakmehrd
BluzDude
umakmehrd
coffeepotman
To the OP, thank you so much for bringing Oasis back into my consciousness! I loved the first album but not much more. After following this post I checked it out and they have a 3 disk version of Definitely Maybe packed full of goodies and I also found an excellent 94 boot to go along with it. Great Rock and Roll no matter what anybody says!

Haha Your welcome, I’ve been doing the same.

Check out the Wetlands 1994 Gig on YouTube. I only wish it was a little better quality.

[youtu.be]

Great stuff Thanks Coffeepotman !!

Tonight I'm a rock 'n' roll star
You're not down with who I am
Look at you now you're all in my hands tonight

???

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 10, 2018 04:01

It was Oasis or Blur back in those days, weren't it? And Oasis CLEARLY won out.

Huge band in their heyday, DOWNUNDER as well, that regretfully couldn't keep it together. Their early albums are packed with sensational, yes derivative, music and songs. Much like - well - The Stones, a band who's 2 primary leaders at least 'get on' enough to keep touring!

The Stones cribbed off, mainly, Berry.
Oasis cribbed off The Beatles. If you're going to mimic someone, to the degree Oasis did, well, The Beatles aren't too bad a band to 'copy'.

I can only imagine what Oasis would be doing if their 2 leaders could have 'got on' better.

Rod

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 10, 2018 06:23

bitusa2012
It was Oasis or Blur back in those days, weren't it? And Oasis CLEARLY won out.

Always preferred the quirkiness, originality, and creativity of Blur vs. Oasis.
I still listen to Blur to this day as something I truly enjoy vs. listening to Oasis's first two albums and B-sides for a nostalgic trip down memory lane.
I saw Blur at the Hollywood Bowl a couple of years ago and they were f*king great unlike some of the Oasis shows I've seen which were always a bit monotonous.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 10, 2018 08:36

I remember being a twelve-year-old in the school playground, discussing Roll With It vs Country House. If anyone recalls, Blur won that manufactured battle, but Oasis won the war.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 10, 2018 13:11

"Country House" was excellent, while "Roll With It" sounded underwhelming to me.

"Some Might Say" was so much better, and I prefer it also over "Country House".

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: January 10, 2018 13:55

Oasis are great fun. Especially the first two albums, plus The Masterplan (odds and ends).

Derivative of course and don't take them too seriously though. The Suspersonic documentary was hilarious.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 11, 2018 14:57

As alluded to be the brother's G in the excellent & hilarious 'Supersonic' film, it all got too big & corporate.

they were never the same band after Knebworth.
They were great live & on record before Knebworth (saw them at the Astoria, Earls Court etc, etc on their memeoric rise) & plenty of times after with differing lineups & differing levels of onstage & audience enthusiasm.)

Knebworth - somehow (luck was on my side) I managed to bag tickets for the original Saturday show via the Oasis phone hotline the morning they went on sale (when that sold out in record time, they added a second show for the next day).

Knebworth was crazy mental.
6-7 support acts on a blazing hot August day watched by 200,000 .

Oasis made the mistake of hiring The Prodigy as the support act who proceeded them. They're set happened at dusk.
They had 200,000 in the palms of their hands.
You ever been in a 200,000 strong crowd that are pogoing??
Absolutely unforgettable & exhausting.
Problem was after that & 7-8 hours standing in the sun the crowd had no energy left for the headliners & Oasis seemed unusually subdued too...

memories....

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 13, 2018 03:18

So soand band

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 13, 2018 12:40

I catched them three days before Knebworth at Sjöhistoriska in Stockholm, it was magical! Liam came out on stage like Nosferatu drinking Guinness and with a proper menace not seen since Keith in the 70's.
Thank God for England, bringing us real Rock stars since 1943.
smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 12:41 by MadMax.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 26, 2023 02:08

Nobody At Baggage Claim Looked Even Remotely Interested In Noel Gallagher’s Impromptu Airport Performance

[apple.news]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-26 02:10 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 26, 2023 08:54

MadMax
I catched them three days before Knebworth at Sjöhistoriska in Stockholm, it was magical! Liam came out on stage like Nosferatu drinking Guinness and with a proper menace not seen since Keith in the 70's.
smileys with beer

There was genuinely something in the air at Oasis gigs during that period. The crowds at those gigs in 95 & 96 were almost of one mind. Biblical is the only word for it really! Spiritual affairs. Every song was an anthem.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: March 14, 2024 10:39

Liam Gallagher  and John Squire covering The Rolling Stones "Jumpin Jack Flash" 3/13/24.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: March 14, 2024 11:42

Paddy
MadMax
smileys with beer

There was genuinely something in the air at Oasis gigs during that period. The crowds at those gigs in 95 & 96 were almost of one mind. Biblical is the only word for it really! Spiritual affairs. Every song was an anthem.

Certainly was biblical. In the UK and Ireland especially Oasis were a genuine cultural force. Big doesn't describe it. Omnipresent in media over here in '96-'97, it was a given that you owned one or both of their albums. The singles were huge and became as prized as the albums due to the great B-Sides contained. On only their second album, they had ascended to rock royalty in these parts. Announcements of shows in Ireland were greeted euphorically.

It didn't last, and you can see in the official documentary films since, they may as well have ended following Knebworth in 1996.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: March 15, 2024 00:26

One of my favourite ever guitarists covering another one of my favourite ever guitarists! Like!

Declan

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: March 15, 2024 01:53

Always liked both. I like NGHFB & Liam’s few solo songs that I have heard. Blur are a very talented group & I really like there last album

Date: March 15, 2024 03:53

IrelandCalling4
Paddy
MadMax
smileys with beer

Certainly was biblical. In the UK and Ireland especially Oasis were a genuine cultural force. Big doesn't describe it. Omnipresent in media over here in '96-'97, it was a given that you owned one or both of their albums. The singles were huge and became as prized as the albums due to the great B-Sides contained. On only their second album, they had ascended to rock royalty in these parts. Announcements of shows in Ireland were greeted euphorically.

It didn't last, and you can see in the official documentary films since, they may as well have ended following Knebworth in 1996.

The thrill of getting a ticket for the Point Depot gig in 96 was just unbelievable. They went quick and were scarce. That was back in the days when you’d look at the ticket twice a week for months before the gig just to check it was still real!! I realize now almost 30 years later how lucky I was to have seen them 4 times on those first two album tours. It was the end of an era stretching back to the 60s. Technology changed gig going forever. It was a hive mentality at gigs back then with no phone’s to distract people. Those shows in 95 & 96 were amongst the last great gatherings. (I got old quickly)

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: March 15, 2024 17:31

Paddy
IrelandCalling4
Paddy
MadMax
smileys with beer

The thrill of getting a ticket for the Point Depot gig in 96 was just unbelievable. They went quick and were scarce. That was back in the days when you’d look at the ticket twice a week for months before the gig just to check it was still real!! I realize now almost 30 years later how lucky I was to have seen them 4 times on those first two album tours. It was the end of an era stretching back to the 60s. Technology changed gig going forever. It was a hive mentality at gigs back then with no phone’s to distract people. Those shows in 95 & 96 were amongst the last great gatherings. (I got old quickly)

I wish I'd gone, never saw them live! Saw Liam live with Beady Eye a few times, but never Oasis. I remember those 1996 Point Depot shows, tickets like gold dust. Didn't Noel sing for one of those as Liam didn't show up?

Live they were good and even still great into the 2000s. When they got Zak Starkey and later Chris Sharrock they could still rock supremely - the proshots from 2008/2009 for example, sounding damn fine.

Date: March 15, 2024 20:43

IrelandCalling4
Paddy
IrelandCalling4
Paddy
MadMax
smileys with beer

I wish I'd gone, never saw them live! Saw Liam live with Beady Eye a few times, but never Oasis. I remember those 1996 Point Depot shows, tickets like gold dust. Didn't Noel sing for one of those as Liam didn't show up?

Live they were good and even still great into the 2000s. When they got Zak Starkey and later Chris Sharrock they could still rock supremely - the proshots from 2008/2009 for example, sounding damn fine.

I think it was one of the 97 gigs in the Point that Liam missed.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1862
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home