Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Oasis
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 3, 2018 23:44

BowieStone
stonehearted
terraplane
If I am not mistaken, every album Oasis released went to number one in the U.K. (at least) and they were recording/touring artists for over 15 years. So I don't think they could be described as short lived.

Here in the U.S. they were strictly a 90s phenomenon. They had two top 10 albums in 1995 and 1997, and after that people lost interest.

They went from multi-million sales in the 90s to one or two hundred thousand an album in the 2000s.

Only three of their singles ever charted in the U.S., and only one of those made the top 40 -- Wonderwall (#8).

Technically, as far as the U.S. is concerned, Oasis was just a one-hit wonder.

Dig Out Your Soul (their final album) reached #5 in the US

With total sales of 116,000.

Like I mentioned above, they may have remained a platinum selling act to the end in the UK, but here in the US their platinum selling status ended in 1997 with Be Here Now.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 4, 2018 00:07

stonehearted
Like I mentioned above, they may have remained a platinum selling act to the end in the UK, but here in the US their platinum selling status ended in 1997 with Be Here Now.

Which is actually pretty funny because, and I didn't even know this, but they essentially erased that record from their live shows. I know they had differing opinions on it but their final tour featured one song from that album, which was only even played at 25 of the 125 shows of the tour. Aside from that one song, nearly every song from that album's last performance was in 1998, with the exception of 2 songs which lasted till 2002. I assumed a lot of those songs were played all the time.

Their live sets were generally those first 2 platinum selling records, and then whatever new album they were promoting. I really didn't know that.

Re: OT: Oasis
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 4, 2018 01:57

As one of those Americans who missed out on Oasis while they were together, here is my experience with the band....The only songs I remember were Wonderwall, Champagne Supernova and Don't look Back in Anger. I had no idea that they rocked, so I wasn't too keen on following them at that time. Also, the group of musicians I was hanging around thought it was "un-cool" to like this band.

I just got into them about 3 years ago. I have probably seen everything available on youtube from full concerts of each year of touring and playing festivals and every interview I could find. And I've seen the Supersonic documentary about 5 times now (free with Amazon Prime.) I saw Liam twice in 2017 and I saw Noel with the High Flying Birds several years ago. Hard to find many other bands with such powerful B-sides IMHO.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: January 4, 2018 02:14

Side note - They were so big HP sauce had a Liam Gallagher custom bottle

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 5, 2018 02:17

Just watched Supersonic. Not up there with my favorite recent music docs.

I couldn't understand a word they were saying. Thats not their fault, and I don't mind subtitles, but I had to read the whole thing or I would have missed it all. And people make fun of Ozzy Osbourne. Secondly, the fast paced nature of it was cool but literally gave me a headache. It was almost too much at all times, and too quick. Maybe that was a metaphor for their rise to fame lol? Lastly I didn't really like that it only went up to 97. I get it, thats the story: band from nothing in 3 short years is headlining one of the biggest concerts of the decade and are bona fide superstars. But I feel so often they are marginalized as just having "two records" and this didn't do anything to help that.

And I'm not a big fan, so as a casual fan at best I wanted to see the full story. I wanted to see more about their breakup, more about their follow ups to Morning Glory, continuing as a band with changing members, more Liam and Noel fighting (particularly their MTV Unplugged incident). I just thought it ended too quickly. Absolutely nothing on Be Here Now even? I understood the arc but just thought there's more to tell. Felt incomplete to me, and I'm surprised they seem to feel content just resting on 2 albums you made when you were 20.

Just my two cents. I did enjoy it and thought it was good, but obviously the complaints are what set it apart for me. I've watched 3 hour docs about the Eagles that I didn't like at all and could get completely engrossed. I felt this missed that mark. Enjoyable, but surprised by the universal reviews. There have been a lot of "definitive" docs in the last 10 years, and this wouldn't be one I'd feel the need to watch again. Having said that, I thought it was a good one time thing and did enjoy seeing their rise.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 5, 2018 11:13

RollingFreak I recommend the excellent Oasis documentary Lord Don't Slow Me Down from 2006. It is beautiful and hilarious at the same time and a provides a great look at the band when they had Mr Starkey at les batteries and a proper record (Don't Believe The Truth) out.

Lotsa stuff from the american tour where in Cincinnati Liam paid for me and my ladyfriends hotel room as we were following them on tour. Happy Days! The only proper Rock stars left in the world outside of Keith, Charlie, Mick and Ronnie.

In a way though I'm relieved they split up as I then can concentrate my savings fully on following The Stones...

smileys with beer

Date: January 5, 2018 11:21

MadMax
RollingFreak I recommend the excellent Oasis documentary Lord Don't Slow Me Down from 2006. It is beautiful and hilarious at the same time and a provides a great look at the band when they had Mr Starkey at les batteries and a proper record (Don't Believe The Truth) out.

Lotsa stuff from the american tour where in Cincinnati Liam paid for me and my ladyfriends hotel room as we were following them on tour. Happy Days! The only proper Rock stars left in the world outside of Keith, Charlie, Mick and Ronnie.

In a way though I'm relieved they split up as I then can concentrate my savings fully on following The Stones...

smileys with beer

That's awesome! thumbs up

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 5, 2018 11:44

MadMax

smileys with beer

Great! Can't be too bad a fellow despite all the negative stories.

Date: January 5, 2018 12:17

He's got a heart of gold just like Keith, judging from my interactions with the man. Always a true gentleman on the occasions I've been lucky to meet him. (Goes for his brother too).

On a side note my grandfather died last night, it haven't really sunk in yet. He had 5 years to 100 and died presumably from dehydration as he probably forgot to drink water as he had early alzheimers. I can't help to blame myself for not visitng him more as he lived approximately 20 minutes drive from where I live.
I am happy I showed him the Paris #3 show on Youtube on christmas eve and that became our last sit-together. He was always fascinated with my stones stories from around the world. RIP grandpa.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: January 5, 2018 18:45

To the OP, thank you so much for bringing Oasis back into my consciousness! I loved the first album but not much more. After following this post I checked it out and they have a 3 disk version of Definitely Maybe packed full of goodies and I also found an excellent 94 boot to go along with it. Great Rock and Roll no matter what anybody says!

Posted by: DD ()
Date: January 5, 2018 18:59

A good band, no better or worse than that, and not a tiny little patch on The Stone Roses.

Declan

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 5, 2018 21:32

They were huge up to Knebworth, I was lucky to see them on the Definitely Maybe tour and twice on the Morning Glory Tour.

Between those albums and the b-sides on the singles it felt like Noel might never write a bad song. (Fair enough he lifted a LOT of his stuff, but what band does'nt and he had the cop to openly admit it)

I do think they were more of an Irish / English phenomenon than a worldwide one. They never achieved the level of success in the States they did round our way (Pun intended)

Britpop was the last gasp of Sex drugs & Rock N Roll, and it was great fun smiling smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 5, 2018 23:01

They were pretty huge on college campuses in the US but not a knebworth type of way...

Date: January 7, 2018 04:51

coffeepotman
To the OP, thank you so much for bringing Oasis back into my consciousness! I loved the first album but not much more. After following this post I checked it out and they have a 3 disk version of Definitely Maybe packed full of goodies and I also found an excellent 94 boot to go along with it. Great Rock and Roll no matter what anybody says!

Haha Your welcome, I’ve been doing the same.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 7, 2018 10:16

umakmehrd
coffeepotman

Check out the Wetlands 1994 Gig on YouTube. I only wish it was a little better quality.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: January 7, 2018 15:16

Oasis is what 90’s rock and roll sounded like, love it or hate it. It was the modern interpretation, not a recreation of the 60’s/70’s like some bands strive for. Fans think R&R shouldn’t evolve past the era of their youth and that is BS. Oasis wrote better rock songs than the Stones, Beatles, Who, and Zep, combined in the 90’s. Why? Because it was THEIR decade. You old heads are stuck in a time warp; anything that doesn’t sound vintage is trash etc. by the way, RAP is and has been the new ROCK for some time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-07 15:18 by TravelinMan.

Date: January 7, 2018 15:26

HouseBoyKnows
MadMax
"I write on this thread again, because it is unfathomable how any in IORR (where
Five 10 outta 10 songs. Putis43, maybe Oasis is the same for ya as Arctic monkeys or coldplay is for me but I can't really see why when one must consider Oasis one of the 5 Big English ROCK N ROLL bands of all time (Stones, Beatles,The Who and Led Zep are the other 4). Who else could join this club?? Faces maybe but they were not even close to Oasis and Stones popularity for instance. Pink Floyd didnae have the WHOLE package (Songs, looks, attitude, longevity, and most important, the proper hedonism).

If I had to name a 5th British band to join the Stones/Beatles/Who/Zep pantheon it would have to be the Clash. Still some could disagree because they were short-lived and did not make it big in the States (relatively speaking). I guess we can't count Bowie because we are considering "rock bands", not predominantly solo acts. Floyd could be there, but to me they did not "rock".

Best wishes for the New Year to all

HBK

Queen is the fifth you are looking for.

Date: January 7, 2018 17:56

Nah Oasis it is. Clash were only a punk phenomenon and Pistols were much better whereas Queen ain't even close. Gotta have the whole package you see. Who wanted to be Freddie Mercury or Joe Strummer? No-one. But a lot of young lads wanted to be Keith Richards or Liam G. Gotta have 'em half-Gods in yer favourite bands.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 7, 2018 18:02

What about Velvet Underground then? They allegedly had everyone of their first listeners want to set up a band!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 7, 2018 18:10

Love the first two albums but after that they quickly ran out of ideas and kept on rehashing the same old ideas nicked from 60s bands in the first place. They deserve their place in rock history because they shook the scene up a bit but they are no where near The Clash in terms of creativity.

Date: January 7, 2018 20:09

TravelinMan
Oasis is what 90’s rock and roll sounded like, love it or hate it. It was the modern interpretation, not a recreation of the 60’s/70’s like some bands strive for. Fans think R&R shouldn’t evolve past the era of their youth and that is BS. Oasis wrote better rock songs than the Stones, Beatles, Who, and Zep, combined in the 90’s. Why? Because it was THEIR decade. You old heads are stuck in a time warp; anything that doesn’t sound vintage is trash etc. by the way, RAP is and has been the new ROCK for some time.

Yet their best tunes sounded like 60s/70s rock/pop smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-07 20:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 7, 2018 20:13

<Clash were only a punk phenomenon>

You, sir, are hereby sentenced to listening to "the version side" (side 6) of Sandinista for 24 hours non stop.

If that still sounds like "a punk phenomenon", there is no help for you... smiling smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 7, 2018 20:19

MadMax
On a side note my grandfather died last night, it haven't really sunk in yet. He had 5 years to 100 and died presumably from dehydration as he probably forgot to drink water as he had early alzheimers. I can't help to blame myself for not visitng him more as he lived approximately 20 minutes drive from where I live.
I am happy I showed him the Paris #3 show on Youtube on christmas eve and that became our last sit-together. He was always fascinated with my stones stories from around the world. RIP grandpa.

My condolences on the passing of your grandfather, Max.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 7, 2018 21:35

Silver Dagger
Love the first two albums but after that they quickly ran out of ideas and kept on rehashing the same old ideas nicked from 60s bands in the first place. They deserve their place in rock history because they shook the scene up a bit
but they are no where near The Clash in terms of creativity.

thumbs up

Yes, yes, yes, definitely maybe, yes, and yes...they were absolutely nowhere near The Clash in terms of creativity.

Date: January 8, 2018 00:35

Thank You Windmelody! Will do Dandy!

Date: January 8, 2018 01:15

MadMax
Thank You Windmelody! Will do Dandy!

grinning smiley

Date: January 8, 2018 04:04

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

I disagree. Nothing about the production or arrangements sound 60's/70's to me.

Date: January 8, 2018 04:07

Cigarettes and Alcohol sounds a little like T-Rex from a musical standpoint.

What's the Story Morning Glory? No way. That sounds more like REM.

Date: January 8, 2018 22:38

BluzDude
umakmehrd
coffeepotman

Check out the Wetlands 1994 Gig on YouTube. I only wish it was a little better quality.

[youtu.be]

Great stuff Thanks Coffeepotman !!

Tonight I'm a rock 'n' roll star
You're not down with who I am
Look at you now you're all in my hands tonight

Date: January 8, 2018 23:10

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

I disagree. Nothing about the production or arrangements sound 60's/70's to me.

The songwriting and harmonies do.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1720
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home