Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Oasis
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 2, 2018 12:08

"I write on this thread again, because it is unfathomable how any in IORR (where all of us know good rock and roll) could summarily dismiss a band as good as was Oasis. I don't care if you don't listen to anything after 1969 or if you saw the Stones on Eel Pie Island and used to drink with Andrew Loog Oldham, Oasis were a great rock and roll band whose best musical moments were near the level the Stones' enjoyed at their peak. Rock and Roll Star and Morning Glory are as straight ahead rock and roll as the 1990s ever heard.....

One example of just how big Oasis were - in 1995, Oasis was so big in the UK until a 45 of the Gallagher brothers' argument reached #52 on the UK charts in November of 1995! Wibbling Rivalry Wiki

Think the Stones could have done that? Maybe .... (But you had to think about it, didn't you?)

I saw Oasis twice in April, 1996 (in Dallas at the Bronco Bowl the night John Squire left the Stone Roses and Noel dedicated "Live Forever" to the Stone Roses and the night after at the Austin Music Festival) on the early leg of the US Morning glory tour, and then I saw them again in August 2002 in Atlanta on the Heathen Chemistry tour. Thus, I saw them "back when" and after they'd had a chance to work thru dope, fame, and the hype to resume making killer rock and roll.

Many Oasis fans will deem this as sacrilege, but they were better in the Tabernacle in Atlanta in 2002 than in 1996. All were sober (save for Liam, but he was that night) and they did what Oasis always did - they delivered the rock and roll goods.

I have been a Stones' freak since 1969, and there is no band greater than the Stones IMHO. To me, be it Satisfaction, Jack Flash, Rocks Off, Everything's Turning to Gold, up through Rough Justice - they define rock and roll and all that is great about it. That said, like Keith has said time and again, "On any given night, another band could be the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the world." Oasis were THAT band when many among us saw them. I am sure that Oasis, like the Stones (Olympia 2003), had off nights, but when they were on, it was hot! REAL HOT!

For a final mention - Within a month of seeing them in Atlanta in 2002, I saw the Stones in the Aragon Ballroom, then Turner Field, then the Gaylord for the 3 greatest shows I ever saw the Stones do. They were so good until I have not seen them since.

Let me say that while Oasis may never rise to the Stones' US LICKS tour shows, they were so bloody fecking good until they deserve to be part of any discussion about great rock and roll bands.

Before you summarily dismiss this concept, take an hour or so and go back and listen to Rock and Roll Star, Morning Glory, Champagne Supernova, Rockin Chair,
Cigarettes & Alcohol, and the Hindu Times. If those don't work for you, then your view of rock and roll is so Stones-centric until you really are missing out on a brave new world.

Wishes to all for a healthy and happy 2018!"

Spot on! Don't forget their best ever songs Acquiesce, Supersonic and Live Forever as well as My Big Mouth and Its Getting Better (Man!!).

Five 10 outta 10 songs. Putis43, maybe Oasis is the same for ya as Arctic monkeys or coldplay is for me but I can't really see why when one must consider Oasis one of the 5 Big English ROCK N ROLL bands of all time (Stones, Beatles,The Who and Led Zep are the other 4). Who else could join this club?? Faces maybe but they were not even close to Oasis and Stones popularity for instance. Pink Floyd didnae have the WHOLE package (Songs, looks, attitude, longevity, and most important, the proper hedonism). So all of you who slags off Oasis either are too old for 'em (which I could understand as I consider newer acts sh*te as well) or just don't get it which is a pity.

Happy New Year! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-02 12:12 by MadMax.

Date: January 2, 2018 12:20

<Before you summarily dismiss this concept, take an hour or so and go back and listen to Rock and Roll Star, Morning Glory, Champagne Supernova, Rockin Chair,
Cigarettes & Alcohol, and the Hindu Times. If those don't work for you, then your view of rock and roll is so Stones-centric until you really are missing out on a brave new world.>

I have done just that today, inspired of this thread.

If I should guess, the reason why Stones fans have trouble taking in Oasis is within that band's sound.

What's pretty unique with the Stones is that almost every guitar strum, drum hit or bass note means something. Those details are jumping back and forth in the soundscape.

Noel Gallagher plays rock with quite a bit of distortion, so it's the noise of the chord that is carrying the song, instead of a distinct sound (like on GS, SMU or Paint It Black).

It's different, surely, and that can be good. Personally, I prefer bands with a signature sound. Although some of Oasis's songs are very good, they never got the band sound down, imo.

I listened through their two first albums + Noel's new album this morning.

PS: I like Liam, but he is singing flat winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-02 12:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 2, 2018 12:51

Rockman
can you name the 1940s Big Band guitarist Chuck Berry used as one of the major templates for how he approached the electric guitar?

Chuck often mentioned Jordan's Tympany Five as a major influence lyrically and musically ....

Charlie Christian must have been an influence I reckon.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 2, 2018 13:14

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
BowieStone
To make it on topic.
Keith & Noel partied together into 2018.

Where?
Did a news search and couldn't find any articles on it. Would be cool if they did though.

They did:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-02 20:14 by BowieStone.

Date: January 2, 2018 13:21

Silver Dagger
Rockman
can you name the 1940s Big Band guitarist Chuck Berry used as one of the major templates for how he approached the electric guitar?

Chuck often mentioned Jordan's Tympany Five as a major influence lyrically and musically ....

Charlie Christian must have been an influence I reckon.

He probably was - for all guitarists. But Louis Jordan's guitar player, as well as his own piano player Johnnie Johnson, were directly responsible for how Chuck's sound came together smiling smiley

Date: January 2, 2018 13:22

BowieStone
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
BowieStone
To make it on topic.
Keith & Noel partied together into 2018.

Where?
Did a news search and couldn't find any articles on it. Would be cool if they did though.

They did:

Thanks! thumbs up

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 2, 2018 13:43

Beautiful pic!!!! Nice wrappin' up of 2017!

smileys with beer

Date: January 2, 2018 14:48

I do wish Oasis had stayed together. Its kind of a simplistic view to say something like that. Who knows what all went on? But once again it proves the point, that conflict, controversy make for good art.
Liam, I guess is trying to stay shook up, to be an antagonist. But his counterweight is gone; his straight-man.
Noel on the other hand must have said "Ah, free at last. I can do exactly what I have been wanting to do all along". And his solo albums are well crafted. Good solid craftmanship. Everything exactly in the right place; lots of medium tempos. I got to say, not until his last album have I woken up. I saw a video of a Live in Studio gig that he did with the HF Birds, and they did "Look Back in Anger", and I had to turn it off. I just couldnt stand it. He was singing it like those contestants on American Idol.
Oasis wasn't as good as they thought they were. But they were on their way towards becoming. I liked their latter albums too. They needed to stick it out. They were at their 8th album; probably 12-13 years into career. Stones hadnt even done "Some Girls" yet, Neil Young had not even hit his rough era in the 80's yet,U2 was getting ready for "Pop".

Date: January 2, 2018 14:52

Seems like the Gallaghers have buried the hatchet, though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-02 14:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 2, 2018 16:08

I saw Oasis several times, in large venues such as Wembley Stadium and Finsbury Park to smaller gigs such as Shepherds Bush Empire and the Clapham Grand. They were always exciting to watch and produced some great tunes, with their well known Beatles influences and occasional Stones references guaranteed to raise a smile.
Liam's solo 'As You Were' album is probably the best either of them has released since the demise of Oasis. Only he (on 'You'd Better Run') could think of rhyming 'Give Me Shelter' with 'Helter Skelter'!!

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: January 2, 2018 17:12

MadMax
"I write on this thread again, because it is unfathomable how any in IORR (where
Five 10 outta 10 songs. Putis43, maybe Oasis is the same for ya as Arctic monkeys or coldplay is for me but I can't really see why when one must consider Oasis one of the 5 Big English ROCK N ROLL bands of all time (Stones, Beatles,The Who and Led Zep are the other 4). Who else could join this club?? Faces maybe but they were not even close to Oasis and Stones popularity for instance. Pink Floyd didnae have the WHOLE package (Songs, looks, attitude, longevity, and most important, the proper hedonism).

If I had to name a 5th British band to join the Stones/Beatles/Who/Zep pantheon it would have to be the Clash. Still some could disagree because they were short-lived and did not make it big in the States (relatively speaking). I guess we can't count Bowie because we are considering "rock bands", not predominantly solo acts. Floyd could be there, but to me they did not "rock".

Best wishes for the New Year to all

HBK

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 2, 2018 17:30

Palace Revolution 2000
I do wish Oasis had stayed together. Its kind of a simplistic view to say something like that. Who knows what all went on? But once again it proves the point, that conflict, controversy make for good art.
Liam, I guess is trying to stay shook up, to be an antagonist. But his counterweight is gone; his straight-man.
Noel on the other hand must have said "Ah, free at last. I can do exactly what I have been wanting to do all along". And his solo albums are well crafted. Good solid craftmanship. Everything exactly in the right place; lots of medium tempos. I got to say, not until his last album have I woken up. I saw a video of a Live in Studio gig that he did with the HF Birds, and they did "Look Back in Anger", and I had to turn it off. I just couldnt stand it. He was singing it like those contestants on American Idol.
Oasis wasn't as good as they thought they were. But they were on their way towards becoming. I liked their latter albums too. They needed to stick it out. They were at their 8th album; probably 12-13 years into career. Stones hadnt even done "Some Girls" yet, Neil Young had not even hit his rough era in the 80's yet,U2 was getting ready for "Pop".

I feel there's a lot of truth to that although also just a bit of an exaggeration in some places. Oasis were very good. Like you say, they were not as great as they thought they were, and I disagree that they were ever going to get there or becoming that. I don't think they were. I think after 8 albums it proves they most likely weren't. We had seen them at their best and this is what they were now. I could be wrong. If you want a modern example, there's no reason Green Day should have put out as masterpiece of an album as American Idiot like 15 years into their career, a decade after they broke initially with Dookie. That really can't be overstated, and maybe the same would have happened with Oasis. Who knows.

They broke early and they broke quick. The thing about your comparisons to other bands, while correct, is that even they admit, at least Noel does, that they should have taken a break. After Morning Glory they should NOT have made Be Here Now so soon after and it suffered. As he says, some fans love it, and he thinks they are wrong but appreciates it. But even he thinks a break would be good and comparing Oasis to bands like the Stones, Neil Young... those guys never took breaks and STILL churned out phenomenal album after phenomenal album. I don't really think thats a slap to Oasis more as it is just an example of the ungodly talent the Stones, Neil Young, Beatles, etc had. IMO, it proves why Oasis never WERE those bands, cause they didn't need breaks. Oasis did. Oasis was very much a band like most these days who need 3 years to craft an album. And even then it might just be OK. Maybe thats just the landscape these days but those other bands didn't need it. Led Zeppelin at one time could put out 4 albums in 4 years and they were all better than the last. Oasis kinda couldn't.

I do wish they stayed together, and I think you're spot on with Noel. Combine his freedom with Liam's need to just ruffle feathers and you get why they aren't getting back together anytime soon. I think, like Guns N Roses, Noel is very much like Slash. At some point, he would do it for the fans. Liam, like Axl, likes to be difficult. I think at some point he'll come around, but you gotta wait, and hope that when they both reach out they are both interested. Yes it appears they are on good terms again as of like a week ago. Hopefully it lasts, but they've both got solo albums out they are promoting. Even if they are on good terms, I think we are far off from a reunion. A reunion that I 100% think will happen someday, but still not for awhile. Like many great partnerships, they need each other, and I wish they stayed together cause the results could be interesting. Unfortunately I feel with the breakup and inevitable reunion, we won't really get an exciting new product. We'll get living off the past and accepting this is what you are, and probably a new mediocre effort just to save face. Had they stayed together, while I feel its unlikely, they could have had some surprising resurgence. Now that they need to reunite, there's no way to live up to built in expectations.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 2, 2018 20:23

MadMax
"I write on this thread again, because it is unfathomable how any in IORR (where all of us know good rock and roll) could summarily dismiss a band as good as was Oasis. I don't care if you don't listen to anything after 1969 or if you saw the Stones on Eel Pie Island and used to drink with Andrew Loog Oldham, Oasis were a great rock and roll band whose best musical moments were near the level the Stones' enjoyed at their peak. Rock and Roll Star and Morning Glory are as straight ahead rock and roll as the 1990s ever heard.....

One example of just how big Oasis were - in 1995, Oasis was so big in the UK until a 45 of the Gallagher brothers' argument reached #52 on the UK charts in November of 1995! Wibbling Rivalry Wiki

Then again, England is a country that made a top 20 hit out of John McEnroe's arguments with a tennis court umpire: [www.youtube.com]

MadMax
I can't really see why when one must consider Oasis one of the 5 Big English ROCK N ROLL bands of all time (Stones, Beatles,The Who and Led Zep are the other 4). Who else could join this club??

The obvious choice would be the Kinks, who invented a sound and style that became a very important musical influence.

The sibling rivalry of the Davies brothers is legendary, and they were even clever enough to set their argumentative nature to music themselves: [www.youtube.com]

Hatred (A Duet)

You keep on accusing me
Of making your life misery
But if that's not abusing me, what isn't
You wanna be my friend, well it's too late
My love for you has turned to hate
And I think that it's a permanent condition
You say you wanna make the peace
Smile and turn the other cheek
I can't put myself in such a weak position
Now I'm willing to accept this fate
You and me just can't cohabitate
We agree to hate and that's our fast decision
Hatred, hatred
Is the only thing that keeps us together
Hatred, hatred
Is the only thing that lasts forever
Driven by hate, driven by hate
On the surface I'm a mild-mannered person
That's until you scratch the animal inside
Then you bring out all my animal aggression
I gotta hatred for you that is never gonna die
Driven to hate, driven to hate
Driven to hate, driven to hate
Hatred, hatred
Hatred, hatred
While races try to integrate
Nations try to gravitate
Towards equal rights, regardless of religion
Politicians might decree
For the sake of humanity
Love and peace instead of a collision
You and me accept reality
There's no way that we can agree
The world can't make us alter this position
At least you and I know where we stand
We can't be friends, walk hand in hand
My hostility for you defies description
Hatred, hatred
Hatred, hatred
Hate's the only thing we have in common
There's no escape, we'll always be this way
So we might as well just learn to live together
'cause we're gonna be this way till our dying day
Hatred, hatred
Hatred, hatred
If you keep on putting me down
Rub my name into the ground
I'll drag the dirt all over town about you
And if you spread the filth on me
I'll only have one remedy
I'll spill the beans, you'll see I've got a mouth, too
Hatred, hatred
Hatred, hatred
Hatred, hatred
Hatred, hatred
Yeah, hatred
Your attitude is downright rude
Your jokes appall me, they're so crude
Why don't you just drop dead and don't recover
I'm the mirror to your mood
You hate me and I hate you
So at least we understand each other
Hatred, hatred is the only thing that lasts, what is it?
Hatred, hatred
Hatred, hatred
Hatred, hatred

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 2, 2018 21:47

MadMax,
You're fully entitled to like what you like (taste is not the issue). I listened to several songs you mentioned (I did many years ago too) and "put my rock 'n' roll detector on".
Yip, it's rock 'n' roll, but having said that ... there are/have been quite some bands that produced records with solid beats, superimposed with heavy fuzz guitar sounds. When I put my mind on "blanc", yes, I can bang my head to it ... but quality music? I'm not going to discuss the Stones, because they are a leagion on there own.
But you mentioned The Who and Led Zeppelin, who made quite some "heavy stuff" (even Queen f.i.), but Oasis doesn't even come close, quality wise, in terms of song writing. Off course, Oasis fans do love Oasis, but if they would try and compare them with the above mentioned bands, they' better not. They'd better just be happy with their love for Oasis.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 2, 2018 22:03

Manofwealthandtaste
I saw Oasis several times, in large venues such as Wembley Stadium and Finsbury Park to smaller gigs such as Shepherds Bush Empire and the Clapham Grand. They were always exciting to watch and produced some great tunes, with their well known Beatles influences and occasional Stones references guaranteed to raise a smile.
Liam's solo 'As You Were' album is probably the best either of them has released since the demise of Oasis. Only he (on 'You'd Better Run') could think of rhyming 'Give Me Shelter' with 'Helter Skelter'!!

thumbs up
I saw Oasis in Milan. Terrific!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: January 2, 2018 23:34

Noel was at O2 show 1 5 years ago. I was standing right next to him and his wife outside as I sniffed around for a spare ticket (which I eventually did).

I liked Oasis and saw them twice,9 years apart at Wembley old and new. They were absolutely the right band at the right time to liven up the then dull as dishwater UK music scene and their rivalry with Blur was intriguing. But imho, they don’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the greats such as the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Led Zep and several others.

They could have achieved much more if their success hadn’t gone to their heads so much and they disappeared up their own arses. There was some decent stuff after their explosive first 2 years but they never came close to hitting those heights again.

Noel and Liam’s separate successes would seem to rule out an Oasis reunion in the short term at least and I think they’d need a new Oasis album to tour behind.

Their reconciliation was in the news here 2 or 3 weeks ago so maybe one day...

Date: January 3, 2018 00:02

Some people may feel a lot of rock but little roll in oasis music. Just a thought.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: January 3, 2018 00:06

This is a funny thread, much better than Mick's hair. I saw Oasis on the Brotherly Love Tour where they played with The Black Crowes. Both bands were great but were very different. I'm pretty sure all the Oasis haters in this thread like The Black Crowes. I happen to enjoy them both and the 5 thousand people at Radio City Music Hall did too.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: January 3, 2018 00:37

coffeepotman
This is a funny thread, much better than Mick's hair. I saw Oasis on the Brotherly Love Tour where they played with The Black Crowes. Both bands were great but were very different. I'm pretty sure all the Oasis haters in this thread like The Black Crowes. I happen to enjoy them both and the 5 thousand people at Radio City Music Hall did too.
No I adore both The Black Crowes and Oasis passionately.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 3, 2018 00:37

coffeepotman

I saw that tour at the Santa Barbara Bowl and both bands were very loud...might have been the outdoor venue and the overkill volume but the sound was bad for both bands.
I saw Oasis again in 2009 at Staples Center in L.A., and it was much better.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: January 3, 2018 02:00

I love Oasis

I went to see Liam Gallagher last year and he Rocked,Just wish he sang for longer (instead of one hour)

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 3, 2018 08:51

Noel had a large chunk of the first two Oasis albums written prior to getting a deal. Quite an achievement, I'd say; especially when you thrown in all those incrediand ble B-Sides. Anyone whose a lover of the 1994-95 Oasis must surely rate the compilation, The Masterplan. Their third long-player, Be Here Now, is a bloated, over-produced, overly-long, coke-fuelled and excessive mess. The B-Sides from this era shine, though. Every successive album have memorable moments, but suffer through inconsistency.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 3, 2018 09:35

coffeepotman
This is a funny thread, much better than Mick's hair....

IDK Mick's hair can be pretty funny sometimes.

As far as bands like the Spice Girls, Oasis, One Direction... of course they will have their die fans who were there at the right moment and fell in love with them and will love them for ever for the happy memories... but it doesn't mean the rest of the world will agree, especially when the band didn't last long, had constantly changing members and only had a few hits

Hoping everyone, or even a majority of people, on IORR will agree and also love the short lived band is just wishful dreaming. It does not matter which band or artist, or the quality of that band or artists talents or music, there will be people who do not like those bands and will bash on those bands.

Just as there has never been a RIP thread on IORR where someone did not bash on the recently deceased. It is just the way things are. No amount of talking or "proof" will make people suddenly like the band. It has been like that here for the 15+ years I have been here.

I stopped rah rahing and defending bands** I like/love (but others love/like to hate) long long ago. It does no good and it is just the way things are.

**Except for the Stones. I will rah rah and defend them against the Stones haters here becasue, you know, they are in our house!

TL/DR
"Mick's Hair" might be a good name for a new band...
Lord knows a lot bands these days have some pretty funny/odd/weird names

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-03 09:39 by Leonioid.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 3, 2018 11:12

If I am not mistaken, every album Oasis released went to number one in the U.K. (at least) and they were recording/touring artists for over 15 years. So I don't think they could be described as short lived.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 3, 2018 13:26

KRiffhard
Manofwealthandtaste

thumbs up
I saw Oasis in Milan. Terrific!

+1

Milan, Palalido, 1995

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 3, 2018 18:36

terraplane
If I am not mistaken, every album Oasis released went to number one in the U.K. (at least) and they were recording/touring artists for over 15 years. So I don't think they could be described as short lived.

Here in the U.S. they were strictly a 90s phenomenon. They had two top 10 albums in 1995 and 1997, and after that people lost interest.

They went from multi-million sales in the 90s to one or two hundred thousand an album in the 2000s.

Only three of their singles ever charted in the U.S., and only one of those made the top 40 -- Wonderwall (#8).

Technically, as far as the U.S. is concerned, Oasis was just a one-hit wonder.

Date: January 3, 2018 19:24

I wouldn't necessarily go as far as to say they were a one hit wonder in the US. Maybe 3 hit wonder, but I do think it extends past Wonderwall, which everyone in America likes to pretend is the only song they know. Also to call them short lived is silly. They may have been massively popular for only a short period of time but short lived? Come on, even if you didn't like them you know their name and you know they were around for awhile. They sold out Madison Square Garden on their last tour, they did maintain popularity in the US. Noel Gallagher touring SOLO is playing Radio City Music Hall. I think to say they were one hit wonders and short lived when thats happening is short sighted and just plain wrong.

Now again, I fully get that they aren't in America the way they are in the UK and Europe. But come on, for the most part they were one of the last bands the WORLD made a household name. Everyone knows or has heard of Oasis and thats a hard thing to find in the last 20 years. Just my two cents.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 3, 2018 20:59

stonehearted
terraplane

Here in the U.S. they were strictly a 90s phenomenon. They had two top 10 albums in 1995 and 1997, and after that people lost interest.

They went from multi-million sales in the 90s to one or two hundred thousand an album in the 2000s.

Only three of their singles ever charted in the U.S., and only one of those made the top 40 -- Wonderwall (#8).

Technically, as far as the U.S. is concerned, Oasis was just a one-hit wonder.

Dig Out Your Soul (their final album) reached #5 in the US

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-03 21:09 by BowieStone.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: January 3, 2018 21:01

Well put RollingFreak - this is pretty funny I simply said I found the documentary very entertaining. It just focuses on their rapid rise to fame with the 2 sold out show @ Knebworth in the summer of 1996 then it all came crashing down... I personally think they were on top of the world for that short time they had what a great rock band is all about - attitude, passion and the element of chaos.. you just never knew what was going to happen on any given night. You can't say that about too many bands imho

Yes the Stones are #1 and always will be, but hey we can like other bands and artists also, just sayin !!

Date: January 3, 2018 23:30

umakmehrd
Well put RollingFreak - this is pretty funny I simply said I found the documentary very entertaining. It just focuses on their rapid rise to fame with the 2 sold out show @ Knebworth in the summer of 1996 then it all came crashing down... I personally think they were on top of the world for that short time they had what a great rock band is all about - attitude, passion and the element of chaos.. you just never knew what was going to happen on any given night. You can't say that about too many bands imho

Yes the Stones are #1 and always will be, but hey we can like other bands and artists also, just sayin !!

Nope, totally agree. I think the thing that hurts them, and I totally get it, is when people say they sound generic. They aren't wrong. It was absolutely just the perfect moment for that thing. I'm relistening to their first 3 albums which I like and admittedly it all DOES sound very similar. They had a sound, and its not altogether original, and its not altogether interesting. It IS a kind of bland, ocean of sound, Beatlesque type of music. There's really no denying that.

To say its not successful I take offense with, not even as a big fan, but just cause its plain wrong. It was successful. Call it lucky, call it right time, call it unoriginal, but as you do that don't forget that the Gallagher's are laughing all the way to the bank. I don't know if there's any real defense against the unoriginal sound. You either like the songs or you don't. And I agree with you that, IMO, the thing that then made them interesting if you didn't like that was their unpredictability. Sure, I don't like someone saying they are better than the Beatles, especially when they are nowhere close. But isn't that what we all, maybe not about Oasis but in general, love? THAT passion? You're so insanely delusional but deadly serious enough to say that and then act the way you act? I think to me while I liked the music I liked the attitude too.

And again, I am NOT a big fan. But I feel that was something you couldn't take away from them. They did things their way and I prefer that a million times over and fading away than changing for the corporate machine which so many do. They were on top of the world, short as it was, did their own thing, made no apologies, met and became friends with their heroes, and are still named as one of the last great bands. Hell, you don't have to like them, but if you can't respect that, even if in your mind its predicated on nothing, then I don't know what to tell ya. Just trying to show all Oasis fans aren't delusional. We get it, but I think there's still enough in their corner that overall they are treated a little unfairly. But then again that comes with being famous.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home