Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Oasis
Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: December 31, 2017 20:21

stonesstein
buttons67
oasis, were way to overrated and compared to a lot of music of other generations most of their stuff was bland, with a couple of good songs.

also had 2 characters who disappeared up their own back side several times.

I do not do this often, but Dude, what planet are YOU from? This band beat the UK and the world over the head with rock and roll and took it home with them. To go from 2 different 2,500 seaters in the US in April, 1996 to 100,000 for 2 days in England tells me that they were not "overrated" or "bland".

They so respected the Stones, as I heard tracks from Beggars thru Some Girls on their "opening" "walk-in" music.

Finally, if you have not, go listen to their cover of Street Fighter. Amazing and reverent at the same time.

Like them or not, fine. Don't call them overrated or bland, though.

Well said Sir

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 31, 2017 20:37

Rockman
can you name the 1940s Big Band guitarist Chuck Berry used as one of the major templates for how he approached the electric guitar?

Chuck often mentioned Jordan's Tympany Five as a major influence lyrically and musically ....

...ánd the lovely T-Bone Walker, which I got to know & and started loving to death ever since that - thanks to Chuck.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 1, 2018 02:20

umakmehrd
stonesstein
buttons67
oasis, were way to overrated and compared to a lot of music of other generations most of their stuff was bland, with a couple of good songs.

I do not do this often, but Dude, what planet are YOU from? This band beat the UK and the world over the head with rock and roll and took it home with them. To go from 2 different 2,500 seaters in the US in April, 1996 to 100,000 for 2 days in England tells me that they were not "overrated" or "bland".

They so respected the Stones, as I heard tracks from Beggars thru Some Girls on their "opening" "walk-in" music.

Finally, if you have not, go listen to their cover of Street Fighter. Amazing and reverent at the same time.

Well said Sir

Vastly overrated, they could not break here in the USA either

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 1, 2018 04:08

potus43
umakmehrd
stonesstein
buttons67

Well said Sir

Um, where were you in 1995? They and Hootie and the Blowfish were all over the radio, and MTV.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: January 1, 2018 04:56

stonesstein
buttons67

Brilliant! Oasis defined a lifestyle, caught the zeitgest at precisely the right time in the UK. Just like in the 60s The Rolling Stones were more than just a band they were a way of life. The same goes for Oasis in the mid 90s.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 1, 2018 10:04

potus43

Firstly, 'breaking the U.S.' should be no barometer for success; and it isn't. Secondly, Oasis were popular stateside.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 1, 2018 10:35

potus43

Breaking in the USA is vastly overated winking smiley

Date: January 1, 2018 11:12

Happy24
potus43

Breaking in the USA is vastly overated winking smiley

Yes, there are plenty iconic bands who "didnt make it in the US".

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 1, 2018 12:11

Palace Revolution 2000

Yes, there are plenty iconic bands who "didnt make it in the US".
yy,

Absolutely, but why is it that some here think Oasis didn't break the United States? (What's The Story) Morning Glory? has sold something like four million copies in the States.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: January 1, 2018 16:25

emotionalbarbecue
Nominalism and music...boring item...what does "rocknroll" mean? who cares in 2018?
but.. anyway...Oasis claimed to be a rockandroll band, the best. but does anybody find a trace of blues or Berry anywhere in their music..?

Yes, Noel would throw in the typical Berry chords (major chord suspending and resolving the major sixth to the fifth) and play blues lead lines.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: January 1, 2018 18:13

I write on this thread again, because it is unfathomable how any in IORR (where all of us know good rock and roll) could summarily dismiss a band as good as was Oasis. I don't care if you don't listen to anything after 1969 or if you saw the Stones on Eel Pie Island and used to drink with Andrew Loog Oldham, Oasis were a great rock and roll band whose best musical moments were near the level the Stones' enjoyed at their peak. Rock and Roll Star and Morning Glory are as straight ahead rock and roll as the 1990s ever heard.....

One example of just how big Oasis were - in 1995, Oasis was so big in the UK until a 45 of the Gallagher brothers' argument reached #52 on the UK charts in November of 1995! Wibbling Rivalry Wiki

Think the Stones could have done that? Maybe .... (But you had to think about it, didn't you?)

I saw Oasis twice in April, 1996 (in Dallas at the Bronco Bowl the night John Squire left the Stone Roses and Noel dedicated "Live Forever" to the Stone Roses and the night after at the Austin Music Festival) on the early leg of the US Morning glory tour, and then I saw them again in August 2002 in Atlanta on the Heathen Chemistry tour. Thus, I saw them "back when" and after they'd had a chance to work thru dope, fame, and the hype to resume making killer rock and roll.

Many Oasis fans will deem this as sacrilege, but they were better in the Tabernacle in Atlanta in 2002 than in 1996. All were sober (save for Liam, but he was that night) and they did what Oasis always did - they delivered the rock and roll goods.

I have been a Stones' freak since 1969, and there is no band greater than the Stones IMHO. To me, be it Satisfaction, Jack Flash, Rocks Off, Everything's Turning to Gold, up through Rough Justice - they define rock and roll and all that is great about it. That said, like Keith has said time and again, "On any given night, another band could be the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the world." Oasis were THAT band when many among us saw them. I am sure that Oasis, like the Stones (Olympia 2003), had off nights, but when they were on, it was hot! REAL HOT!

For a final mention - Within a month of seeing them in Atlanta in 2002, I saw the Stones in the Aragon Ballroom, then Turner Field, then the Gaylord for the 3 greatest shows I ever saw the Stones do. They were so good until I have not seen them since.

Let me say that while Oasis may never rise to the Stones' US LICKS tour shows, they were so bloody fecking good until they deserve to be part of any discussion about great rock and roll bands.

Before you summarily dismiss this concept, take an hour or so and go back and listen to Rock and Roll Star, Morning Glory, Champagne Supernova, Rockin Chair,
Cigarettes & Alcohol, and the Hindu Times. If those don't work for you, then your view of rock and roll is so Stones-centric until you really are missing out on a brave new world.

Wishes to all for a healthy and happy 2018!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: January 1, 2018 18:24

Big Al
potus43

Firstly, 'breaking the U.S.' should be no barometer for success; and it isn't. Secondly, Oasis were popular stateside.

Nope

Date: January 1, 2018 18:25

stonesstein
I write on this thread again, because it is unfathomable how any in IORR (where all of us know good rock and roll) could summarily dismiss a band as good as was Oasis. I don't care if you don't listen to anything after 1969 or if you saw the Stones on Eel Pie Island and used to drink with Andrew Loog Oldham, Oasis were a great rock and roll band whose best musical moments were near the level the Stones' enjoyed at their peak. Rock and Roll Star and Morning Glory are as straight ahead rock and roll as the 1990s ever heard.....

One example of just how big Oasis were - in 1995, Oasis was so big in the UK until a 45 of the Gallagher brothers' argument reached #52 on the UK charts in November of 1995! Wibbling Rivalry Wiki

Think the Stones could have done that? Maybe .... (But you had to think about it, didn't you?)

I saw Oasis twice in April, 1996 (in Dallas at the Bronco Bowl the night John Squire left the Stone Roses and Noel dedicated "Live Forever" to the Stone Roses and the night after at the Austin Music Festival) on the early leg of the US Morning glory tour, and then I saw them again in August 2002 in Atlanta on the Heathen Chemistry tour. Thus, I saw them "back when" and after they'd had a chance to work thru dope, fame, and the hype to resume making killer rock and roll.

Many Oasis fans will deem this as sacrilege, but they were better in the Tabernacle in Atlanta in 2002 than in 1996. All were sober (save for Liam, but he was that night) and they did what Oasis always did - they delivered the rock and roll goods.

I have been a Stones' freak since 1969, and there is no band greater than the Stones IMHO. To me, be it Satisfaction, Jack Flash, Rocks Off, Everything's Turning to Gold, up through Rough Justice - they define rock and roll and all that is great about it. That said, like Keith has said time and again, "On any given night, another band could be the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the world." Oasis were THAT band when many among us saw them. I am sure that Oasis, like the Stones (Olympia 2003), had off nights, but when they were on, it was hot! REAL HOT!

For a final mention - Within a month of seeing them in Atlanta in 2002, I saw the Stones in the Aragon Ballroom, then Turner Field, then the Gaylord for the 3 greatest shows I ever saw the Stones do. They were so good until I have not seen them since.

Let me say that while Oasis may never rise to the Stones' US LICKS tour shows, they were so bloody fecking good until they deserve to be part of any discussion about great rock and roll bands.

Before you summarily dismiss this concept, take an hour or so and go back and listen to Rock and Roll Star, Morning Glory, Champagne Supernova, Rockin Chair,
Cigarettes & Alcohol, and the Hindu Times. If those don't work for you, then your view of rock and roll is so Stones-centric until you really are missing out on a brave new world.

Wishes to all for a healthy and happy 2018!

You HAVE to be joking. Please say you are, please

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: January 1, 2018 18:47

potus43
stonesstein
omitted for brevity - read 2 messages above

potus43, did you ever even see Oasis live? Did you ever take a moment to listen to the songs or the live shows? If you have not, you should. If you have, then what makes you so summarily dismissive of what fans all over the world deemed a great rock and roll band?

YOU have to be joking. Please say you are, please

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 1, 2018 18:57

Amidst all the popular grunge/depression music of the early-mid '90's here in the States, Oasis was like a breath of fresh air. Well maybe it was cigarette/alcohol breath and stale air, but it was something refreshingly different than the moaning and whining of the grunge bands. I remember seeing them play Live Forever on a late night talk show (I think it was Letterman?), and they were fantastic. They were huge in the States for a little while - there was no escaping them on MTV, etc. - great band that stripped it back down to the elements of sex and drugs and rock and roll. But to say their creativity was on the same level as the Stones or Beatles is really a joke. They barely made it past the first two albums (with loads of great B-sides), and nearly everything after that showed they really had nothing left in their 'bag of tricks'. They basically imploded, and became yesterdays papers almost as fast as they became an overnight success. They'll never rank in the top 100 greatest rock bands of all time imo, but they'll always rank as one of the best c. 1994/1995.

Date: January 1, 2018 19:56

stonesstein
potus43
stonesstein
omitted for brevity - read 2 messages above

potus43, did you ever even see Oasis live? Did you ever take a moment to listen to the songs or the live shows? If you have not, you should. If you have, then what makes you so summarily dismissive of what fans all over the world deemed a great rock and roll band?

YOU have to be joking. Please say you are, please

Not joking. They had a couple good songs

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: January 1, 2018 20:04

Hairball
Amidst all the popular grunge/depression music of the early-mid '90's here in the States, Oasis was like a breath of fresh air. Well maybe it was cigarette/alcohol breath and stale air, but it was something refreshingly different than the moaning and whining of the grunge bands. I remember seeing them play Live Forever on a late night talk show (I think it was Letterman?), and they were fantastic. They were huge in the States for a little while - there was no escaping them on MTV, etc. - great band that stripped it back down to the elements of sex and drugs and rock and roll. But to say their creativity was on the same level as the Stones or Beatles is really a joke. They barely made it past the first two albums (with loads of great B-sides), and nearly everything after that showed they really had nothing left in their 'bag of tricks'. They basically imploded, and became yesterdays papers almost as fast as they became an overnight success. They'll never rank in the top 100 greatest rock bands of all time imo, but they'll always rank as one of the best c. 1994/1995.

Good post Hairbsll. Much of what you say is true of their career here in the UK too. Their career peaked when they sold out Knebworth for 2 nights in August 1996, barely 2 years after their initial ascent to fame. This was on the back of songs written by Noel mostly whilst living on Welfare benefits in a run down part of Manchester, hungry for success and opportunities.

But when the millions flowed in and the mansions, fast women, fast cars, drugs and booze with it, they embraced the decadent rock star life style and got complacent and lazy. They still enjoyed music chart success and big crowds between then and the end of their career in 2009 with the odd decent song, but the 13 years between 1996 and 2009 were largely spent dining out on the success of their 1st 2 Classic albums. It should slso be noted that as early as 1999, only the Gallagher brothers remained from the original Oasis lineup and they went through no fewer than 4 drummers between 1995 and 2009.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 1, 2018 20:45

Oasis have been at their best with Tony McCarroll on drums. And their first record is great!

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: January 1, 2018 20:50

Love Oasis and the brothers are pretty funny in interviews. In the Peter Green documentary Man of the World, Noel is talking about how great a guitar player you had to be in order to be in Fleetwood Mac, but with Oasis, you just needed the right haircut...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 1, 2018 22:17

potus43
Big Al
potus43

Nope

Yeah man. They were great here. I saw them in L. A. each time and they killed.
Place was packed. If you didn’t notice you weren’t born yet.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: January 1, 2018 22:42

I'm with 'Stonesstein' on this!

Incredibly articulate post.

Like Noel has said 'We've got a seat at the big boys table,
whether they like it or not'

They've got their place, just take the time to listen to the music.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 2, 2018 00:45

RoughJusticeOnYa
Rockman
can you name the 1940s Big Band guitarist Chuck Berry used as one of the major templates for how he approached the electric guitar?

Chuck often mentioned Jordan's Tympany Five as a major influence lyrically and musically ....

...ánd the lovely T-Bone Walker, which I got to know & and started loving to death ever since that - thanks to Chuck.

Not knowing if that is the correct answer, T-Bone Walker was the one also I thought about. Only because I have got four vinyl albums of music related to him, which I bought long ago having once read him supposedly to have been instrumental in the development of electric guitar (and within a blues context).

Added later: I forgot to say. I did enjoy the music of the first two OASIS albums very much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-02 01:03 by Witness.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 2, 2018 01:16

Carl Hogan from Jordan's -- Tympany Five is the guitarist that stonehearted is referring to ...

Tympany Five had a bass player named Charlie Drayton .....

X-pensive Winos had Charley Drayton .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 2, 2018 02:59

Wild Slivov[b]itz
Oasis have been at their best with Tony McCarroll on drums

Noel along with their engineer and producer certainly didn't think so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-02 03:03 by BluzDude.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: January 2, 2018 03:54

BluzDude
Wild Slivov[b]itz

Noel had apparently wanted rid of him for quite a while before he finally fired him, shortly after Some Might Say went to No 1 in the UK singles charts. He was replaced by Alan White, who lasted a full 9 years and 4 albums before he himself was fired and replaced by Zak Starkey.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 2, 2018 04:03

grzegorz67
BluzDude
Wild Slivov[b]itz

Noel had apparently wanted rid of him for quite a while before he finally fired him, shortly after Some Might Say went to No 1 in the UK singles charts. He was replaced by Alan White, who lasted a full 9 years and 4 albums before he himself was fired and replaced by Zak Starkey.

Do we know this from certain? I heard that he just grew tired of the brothers interactions...and I also heard that Tony was the only member fired, that the others all left on their own accord....at least publicly.

I'm no expert here, but if you have some citings or articles on the real reasons White and the 2 Pauls left, I'd like to know. I do know that Gem is a far better guitarist than Bonehead as Noel started decreasing his leads once Gem joined the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-02 04:06 by BluzDude.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 2, 2018 05:12

Not a sound I disliked but kinda chalked them up as Beatles imitators, much like I chalk up Kenny Chesney as a Jimmy Buffett imitator, although I understand both are known to but on very entertaining live performances. I did quite like that Oasis MTV performance where the other brother sang the whole show because the one refused to show, I actually thought he sounded better.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 2, 2018 09:03

To make it on topic.
Keith & Noel partied together into 2018.

Date: January 2, 2018 10:17

BowieStone
To make it on topic.

Where?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 2, 2018 10:20

DandelionPowderman
BowieStone
To make it on topic.

Where?
Did a news search and couldn't find any articles on it. Would be cool if they did though.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home