Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: Oasis
Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: December 30, 2017 21:14

I just watched Oasis Supersonic last night - nicely done

Those 2 were belligerent, confrontational delinquents but gotta say Morning Glory was a monster of an album. They really were on top of the world for 2 years...

Saw this today..
[www.thesun.co.uk]

Thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-03 22:41 by bv.

Re: Oasis
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 30, 2017 21:22

Great documentary. I saw it in the cinema last year. We laughed the whole way through.
Those Gallaghers can tell a story.

I’m pleased both of them released great albums this year.
There were no great album releases since Don’t Believe the Truth, until now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-30 21:23 by BowieStone.

Date: December 30, 2017 21:34

OT?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 30, 2017 21:41

oasis, were way to overrated and compared to a lot of music of other generations most of their stuff was bland, with a couple of good songs.

also had 2 characters who disappeared up their own back side several times.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: December 30, 2017 22:56

Buttons67 have you watched the documentary ? They never claimed to be great musicians they were just a garage band that created a spirit and Chaos of course.
You should watch it is entertaining.

Date: December 31, 2017 00:11

Nominalism and music...boring item...what does "rocknroll" mean? who cares in 2018?
but.. anyway...Oasis claimed to be a rockandroll band, the best. but does anybody find a trace of blues or Berry anywhere in their music..?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 31, 2017 00:16

i think this should be the definitive OT post....

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 31, 2017 00:27

emotionalbarbecue
...what does "rocknroll" mean? who cares in 2018?
...Oasis claimed to be a rockandroll band, the best. but does anybody find a trace of blues or Berry anywhere in their music..?
Neither the "blues" nor "Berry" had much of a foothold in the late 1970s/early 1980s of their musical awakening, especially in post-Punk England, only their heroes' (Beatles, Stones, etc.) interpretations -- just as rock and roll itself has no place in 2018.

Likewise, can you name the 1940s Big Band guitarist Chuck Berry used as one of the major templates for how he approached the electric guitar? (Hint, he stole one of Cxxx Hxxxx's riffs note for note as the intro for his own Johnny B. Goode.) Only Berry's interpretations found their way into the approach of the Stones, and so on and so on...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 31, 2017 00:47

Haven't seen the documentary. Loved the band in the mid 90s. Local radio stations in Vancouver played the hell out of Wonderwall. I bought What's The Story and from the first listen I thought it was awesome. Probably my favourite album of the 90's. Don't really care for anything since though!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 31, 2017 01:16

Loved their first two albums when they were released - bought both on vinyl and all the singles (7 and 12 inch) as well as a couple bootlegs.
They've become sort of a time capsule of that era though, and I don't listen to any of it anymore except on the rare occasion for nostalgic reasons.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: December 31, 2017 01:27

buttons67
oasis, were way to overrated and compared to a lot of music of other generations most of their stuff was bland, with a couple of good songs.

I do not do this often, but Dude, what planet are YOU from? This band beat the UK and the world over the head with rock and roll and took it home with them. To go from 2 different 2,500 seaters in the US in April, 1996 to 100,000 for 2 days in England tells me that they were not "overrated" or "bland".

They so respected the Stones, as I heard tracks from Beggars thru Some Girls on their "opening" "walk-in" music.

Finally, if you have not, go listen to their cover of Street Fighter. Amazing and reverent at the same time.

Like them or not, fine. Don't call them overrated or bland, though.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 31, 2017 01:56

One of the greatest bands of all time.

Date: December 31, 2017 02:56

stonehearted
emotionalbarbecue
...Oasis claimed to be a rockandroll band, the best. but does anybody find a trace of blues or Berry anywhere in their music..?
Neither the "blues" nor "Berry" had much of a foothold in the late 1970s/early 1980s of their musical awakening, especially in post-Punk England, only their heroes' (Beatles, Stones, etc.) interpretations -- just as rock and roll itself has no place in 2018.

Likewise, can you name the 1940s Big Band guitarist Chuck Berry used as one of the major templates for how he approached the electric guitar? (Hint, he stole one of Cxxx Hxxxx's riffs note for note as the intro for his own Johnny B. Goode.) Only Berry's interpretations found their way into the approach of the Stones, and so on and so on...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 31, 2017 02:59

Hairball
Loved their first two albums when they were released - bought both on vinyl and all the singles (7 and 12 inch) as well as a couple bootlegs.
They've become sort of a time capsule of that era though, and I don't listen to any of it anymore except on the rare occasion for nostalgic reasons.
Same here. (What's the Story) Morning Glory takes me right back to my high school years.

Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova are remarkable songs, among others.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: December 31, 2017 03:23

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to keep an eye out for that show.

IMHO, (What's the Story) Morning Glory is one of the best rock albums to come out of the 1990's.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 31, 2017 03:59

can you name the 1940s Big Band guitarist Chuck Berry used as one of the major templates for how he approached the electric guitar?

Chuck often mentioned Jordan's Tympany Five as a major influence lyrically and musically ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: December 31, 2017 06:36

Funny, I've never seen Oasis posted here before & for Christmas my fiancée bought me tix for Noel Gallaghers solo show.

I've just recently seen the Oasis documentary & suddenly everywhere I go I'm seeing things about the band.

Think they've got a lot of great songs & are worth checking out.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 31, 2017 09:25

terraplane
One of the greatest bands of all time.

thumbs up

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 31, 2017 09:32

In the nineties I listened to them, I still like some songs, but most of them are music for teenagers. This is a huge difference to the Stones. I still can listen to Out of our Heads. Yet, I will go to Noel Gallagher's concert in April.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 31, 2017 09:38

emotionalbarbecue
stonehearted
emotionalbarbecue

I was making a very thoughtful assessment of how musicians absorb the interpretations of musical influences from their heroes, uh, through the ages...

...and I guess, you're being snarky with a sports GIF animated image?...

...okay, well here's an emoticon for you...

...and I hope you enjoy your emotional barbecue this weekend...

OT: Oasis
Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 31, 2017 13:23

It is interesting which cheesy bands/artists this board cheeses to highpercentage love and which ones get panned, or outright banned/kicked to the curb. As for the silly band Oasis, they got lucky, flash in the pan... then they blew it... not really worthy of much attention or respect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-31 14:26 by Leonioid.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 31, 2017 13:24

Oasis are along with the Stones the best Rock n Roll band in history in my book. The only 2 bands along with The Who where everything fell into place: The songs, the looks, the attitude, the "danger" during the shows where you during two hours feel that everything can happen, the wit during the interviews etc, etc.

Fade In-Out from 97's Be Here Now is a proper blues without being a 12-bar one, and Liams singing reminds me not only from Lennon and Lydon but also from Little Walter, that rasp in the voice. Amazing band.

Date: December 31, 2017 13:56

Stonehearted...

Just tried to answer with a touch of humour, which I see it has not been precisely succesful. As a stones fan (not an scholar or expert in music) I think blues/classic rr is/must be behind what we may (conventionally) call rocknroll. Thats why I was sceptic about your statement (and I posted the gif). Thats all. Oasis were great anyway.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 31, 2017 14:00

Could not care less...

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 31, 2017 14:38

Well if one hadn't heard all the great b-sides, the hilarious puns or the magic live shows I guess one couldn't be arsed either... Check 'em out pal...

smileys with beer

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 31, 2017 14:56

stonesstein
buttons67

I do not do this often, but Dude, what planet are YOU from? This band beat the UK and the world over the head with rock and roll and took it home with them. To go from 2 different 2,500 seaters in the US in April, 1996 to 100,000 for 2 days in England tells me that they were not "overrated" or "bland".

They so respected the Stones, as I heard tracks from Beggars thru Some Girls on their "opening" "walk-in" music.

Finally, if you have not, go listen to their cover of Street Fighter. Amazing and reverent at the same time.

Like them or not, fine. Don't call them overrated or bland, though.

I agree with buttons67. They were big in the UK (mostly thanks to screaming teen girls, who have no sense of music quality at that age anyway, sorry ladies). But globally they were not more than average. In their early songs you could hear that they had listened a lot to the Beatles and thought they could equal them. Noel is a great guitarist on his own account (loved his teamwork with f.i. Paul Weller and contribution to The Who AH concert). His brother sucks and thanks his fame only to his big mouth, trying to outdo Johnny Rotten and to his brothers talent. His voice could be flushed through any toilet at any time. Comparing Oasis with The Who ??? Oh my gosh ! Ah, we will hear of them in 2018, cash is running out, maybe.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: December 31, 2017 15:18

'They were big in the UK (mostly thanks to screaming teen girls, who have no sense of music quality at that age anyway, sorry ladies).'

Well well, what an outrageous statement! And the 'sorry ladies' just doesn't cut it, as you meant it, and doubtless aren't sorry

It's not only the relating this to Oasis that is offensive, as this statement could be applied to ....err, let's think now........ The RS maybe? (amongst many more) (fwiw I don't care much for Oasis either)

I was passionate about RS from age of 12 (like so many others).
50+ years on I have no reason to doubt my youthful judgement, in fact I would say my 'sense of musical quality at that age' has stood me in good stead to this day

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 31, 2017 15:39

ycagwywpmd
'They were big in the UK (mostly thanks to screaming teen girls, who have no sense of music quality at that age anyway, sorry ladies).'

Well well, what an outrageous statement! And the 'sorry ladies' just doesn't cut it, as you meant it, and doubtless aren't sorry

It's not only the relating this to Oasis that is offensive, as this statement could be applied to ....err, let's think now........ The RS maybe? (amongst many more) (fwiw I don't care much for Oasis either)

I was passionate about RS from age of 12 (like so many others).
50+ years on I have no reason to doubt my youthful judgement, in fact I would say my 'sense of musical quality at that age' has stood me in good stead to this day

Sorry, I should have written "the majority of them". And yes, that same majority was there with the rise of Presley, Sinatra, the Beatles, the Stones, etc. I know many women, whom I consider great music insiders. But they form a minority in comparison with the numbers of girls that filled concert halls ripping eardrums apart.
Anyway, it's not personal. Happy New Year!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 31, 2017 15:42

One of the best British songwriters from the past thirty-five years. Noel Gallagher is easily the equal of Paul Weller and the Morrissey-Marr partnership.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: December 31, 2017 15:52

'Anyway, it's not personal'
Agreed
And thanks for your further clarification, though not sure if I'm now to be thought of as 'A great music insider' or........?!
And thanks for starting off 'sorry' , now I believe you!

Happy New Year to you and yours georgie48 and to everyone here

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home