Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Q re. Ted Newman-Jones
Date: December 30, 2017 13:43

I was wondering if Mathijs, or someone else knows what really happened with Newman. After Clapton put him together with Keith, he was Keith's main man for 5 of the crucial 70's years. After this Keith set him up in Austin, TX with his own shop. His reputation was good. It seems that he and his work was well liked and respected.
Yet he ended up in prison. And what also confused and surprised me, is that Andy Johns and other insiders had very little love for him.

Re: Q re. Ted Newman-Jones
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 30, 2017 14:57

Posted by: Tubeman ()
Date: December 30, 2017 23:17

Further details in link below

Ted Newman Jones Death

Date: December 30, 2017 23:22

"I knew Ted well back in the 60's when we hung out together. Ted used to go out in countryside in search of Les Paul guitars that were long forgotten and left in attics and closets by their Owners who often painted them with house paint as a way of personalizing them. Relatives would often sell to Ted who cleaned them up and resold them. He took one that he found to Keith Richard's home in London. Richards bought it and From there I believe Ted became the Rolling Stones Stones guitar mechanic"
[www.gofundme.com]

Date: December 31, 2017 07:42

Thank You very much to Tubeman and Dcba. Those links told a lot of the story. I had never understood about the prison stay, and where/if he re-opened shop afterwards.

Date: December 31, 2017 15:23

It's a sad story but the good thing about it is it proves the Stones don't let down a member of the "family". When TNJ faced theseridiculius charges the band sent their lawyers to make sure he did as little time as possible.

Same goes for Don Covay : when he had a stroke that left him paralysed the Stones gave a "special needs" chair that allowed him to retain some physical autonomy.

Think about it next time you call Mick and Keef "money grabbers" grinning smiley smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 1, 2018 04:50

YES.... Don Covay ... Stones had special viewing-box made for him for some shows ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 1, 2018 05:05

And they paid for Hubert Summlin's funeral too...peanuts for them of course but still a nice gesture.

I also remember reading an interview by one of the old blues guys saying they'd treated him good when he joined them on stage by putting him up in the best hotel, could have been in Paris.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: January 1, 2018 06:38

This is one aspect I truly respect about the Stones (well there are a few other aspects...): they have helped plenty of folks and issues out, but have never felt the need to go around trumpeting about it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 1, 2018 06:43

never felt the need to go around trumpeting about it.

SO TRUE ............

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home