Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

question - dead flowers...big lebowski
Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: December 27, 2017 11:28

hi out there. i stumbled over this article about allen klein and the use of dead flowers (townes van zandt-version) over the credits of the movie....i thought klein just owns brown sugar and wild horses from sticky fingers...

Re: question - dead flowers...big lebowski
Posted by: johnh ()
Date: December 27, 2017 13:20

Do you have a link?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 27, 2017 13:56

Brown Sugar and Wild Horses are shared property between ABKCO and Rolling Stones Records. And if you trust Keith's memory (his book 'Life') Angie is shared property too winking smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 27, 2017 14:33

From the 2015 reissue of "Sticky Fingers".

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 27, 2017 14:34

.... Thanks dude ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 27, 2017 14:45

Deltics

From the 2015 reissue of "Sticky Fingers".

2009 remaster of "Sticky Fingers" too: 'MusicPublisher - ABKCO Music, Inc.' - [www.Qobuz.com] :

(Click in Qobuz on the Track title to display the Track credits)

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 27, 2017 15:28

I did a google search for big lebowski wild horses allen klein and believe that this is probably the origin of the thread:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Stones Content:
"A tougher get was Townes Van Zandt's cover of the Rolling Stones' "Dead Flowers," which plays over Lebowski's closing credits. "[Former Stones manager] Allen Klein owns the rights to it," Burnett says. "He wanted $150,000." Burnett begged Klein to just come down and watch an early cut of Lebowski. "It got to the part where the Dude says, 'I hate the @#$%&' Eagles, man!' Klein stands up and says, 'That's it, you can have the song!' That was beautiful." For the record, Burnett agrees with the Dude ("[The Eagles] sort of single-handedly destroyed that whole scene that was brewing back then," he says), but the line infuriated Glenn Frey. "I ran into [Frey] and he gave me some shit," Jeff Bridges says. "I can't remember what he said exactly, but my anus tightened a bit."

[From Issue 1060 — September 4, 2008]"

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 27, 2017 15:44

bluesinc.
big lebowski

Great movie! thumbs up

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 27, 2017 17:16

By the way,- I love Townes' Dead flowers.One of the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-27 17:17 by CousinC.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 27, 2017 18:03

bluesinc.
hi out there. i stumbled over this article about allen klein and the use of dead flowers (townes van zandt-version) over the credits of the movie....i thought klein just owns brown sugar and wild horses from sticky fingers...

All of the songs on STICKY FINGERS and several songs on EOMS are owned by ABKCO Music. ABKCO's just never done anything with the rest of the tunes, so to speak.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 27, 2017 19:31

CousinC

A younger friend of a friend of mine named Daniel whose in his early 30's was at my studio a while back partying when the Stones version came on the radio, and he swore Townes' version of Dead Flowers was the original.
Daniel is a semi-pro musician himself in the same style as Townes - acoustic singer/songwriter stuff played at local coffe houses, etc. Little did he know he was talking with a semi-knowledgeable Stones fan, so I acted naive and innocent and placed a $20 wager with him that it was a Jagger/Richards original. All I had to do was walk ten feet over to my record collection for the evidence and the deal was done. Sometimes it pays to be a Stones fan, but in reality everybody won as the money went towards more beer. winking smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 27, 2017 20:07

Hairball
CousinC

A younger friend of a friend of mine named Daniel whose in his early 30's was at my studio a while back partying when the Stones version came on the radio, and he swore Townes' version of Dead Flowers was the original.
Daniel is a semi-pro musician himself in the same style as Townes - acoustic singer/songwriter stuff played at local coffe houses, etc. Little did he know he was talking with a semi-knowledgeable Stones fan, so I acted naive and innocent and placed a $20 wager with him that it was a Jagger/Richards original. All I had to do was walk ten feet over to my record collection for the evidence and the deal was done. Sometimes it pays to be a Stones fan, but in reality everybody won as the money went towards more beer. winking smiley

That's a great story!

Off topic but Similar (not hijacking thread): Years ago I was in a local studio where I did many sessions. The owner put on some raw recordings of a project he was drumming on and said it was a bunch of originals that the guitar player had brought in. He cued "a fun one" up and as soon as the intro passed, I was singing along with the vocalist. I said, "um, that's not an original. It's by a band from Boston and was released in the 80's". When we sprang our knowledge on the guitar player, he instantly admitted that he hadn't written it and couldn't believe that someone actually knew the original. Funny thing is: prior to recording, he had contacted the original writer about obtaining the rights to record and release a new version. The original writer said to the effect of, "forget the royalties, I'll just sell you the publishing rights and you'll own the song yourself, if you'd like." That was the route they went. It became a running joke that, anytime I was in the room when they played it live, he'd make a big deal about introducing it as "the best song (he) ever bought" and then call me up to do background vocals as I was "the only person he knew who had been listening to the song longer than he had".

I love music and rare, obscure versions of songs.

(hijack out)

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: December 27, 2017 20:14

It seems that is a pretty common assumption. Recently I heard a DJ on a local NPR affiliate introduce the Stones version (in that typical highbrow hushed learned tone) as a Townes cover. I wanted to scream into my radio.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 28, 2017 13:28

LeonidP
bluesinc.
big lebowski

Great movie! thumbs up

More than a great movie: A model for living!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 29, 2017 21:48

I was in a bar in Memphis (didn't meet a ginsoaked barroom queen however, although been to that alleged place too) a few years ago, the guy played Wild Horses and asked who wrote it.

I of course answered the obvious and proceeded to get in an argument because he insisted Graham Parsons wrote it about Emmylou Harris and the Stones stole it.

Said he knows people who know people that said that's true.

Whole sounding plausible, been a long running rumor that's been all but proven false.

Date: December 30, 2017 00:08

kovach
I was in a bar in Memphis (didn't meet a ginsoaked barroom queen however, although been to that alleged place too) a few years ago, the guy played Wild Horses and asked who wrote it.

I of course answered the obvious and proceeded to get in an argument because he insisted Graham Parsons wrote it about Emmylou Harris and the Stones stole it.

Said he knows people who know people that said that's true.

Whole sounding plausible, been a long running rumor that's been all but proven false.

From the (wild) horse's mouth:
"The first time I heard it was the night after Altamont".
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 30, 2017 00:15

Klein doesn't own jackshit. He's been dead for 8 years.

Date: December 30, 2017 00:32

keefriff99

Klein might be dead but ABKCO lives on!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 30, 2017 00:33

Deltics
keefriff99

Klein might be dead but ABKCO lives on!
I know, I'm just being a pedantic douche winking smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 30, 2017 22:39

GasLightStreet
bluesinc.

All of the songs on STICKY FINGERS and several songs on EOMS are owned by ABKCO Music. ABKCO's just never done anything with the rest of the tunes, so to speak.

The same goes for the Exile songs on the promo sampler "Songs Of":

[iorr.org]

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: December 31, 2017 12:38

Hairball
CousinC

Lol ...reminded me of an argument with my young daughter when she insisted Miss You wasn't by the Stones. And I mean INSISTED

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 31, 2017 13:28

But I do respect that opinion "hearing"/thinking that is not a Stones song (it shows good ears on a youngster) after all it is probably the most UN-Stones song they have... freekin disco.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 31, 2017 20:27

TooTough
GasLightStreet
bluesinc.

[iorr.org]

Interesting information in that thread.

There's a post in there where it says Stanley Booth stated that Loving Cup was recorded at Muscle Shoals in 1969. Everything else points to that not being true. Loving Cup done in 1969 during sessions that included Jiving Sister Fanny, Live With Me, Let It Bleed, Monkey Man.

Exile is really a mixture of bits and pieces left over from the previous album recorded at Olympic Studios and which, after we got out of the contract with Allen Klein, we didn't want to give him: tracks like Shine a Light, and Sweet Virginia. Those were mixed up with a few slightly more grungy things done in the South of France. It's seen as one album all recorded there and it really wasn't. We just chucked everything in.
- Mick Jagger, 2003

[timeisonourside.com]

What's funny about Mick's statement of not wanting to "give him" Shine A Light and Sweet Virginia among more that he didn't name is that they're ABKCO Music. It's probably meant in terms of letting Decca have them on an album instead of RSR/Atlantic - they're ABKCO Music publishing but performance wise they're RSR/Atlantic.

Which is potentially weird in a way - they didn't want him to have those but it was OK for him to have Honky Tonk Women? Kind of an odd mentality. Who knows. At the time of their trajectory it makes sense that they released HTW because Loving Cup and Sweet Virginia and Shine A Light are not hit songs, obviously, in hind sight, but also they most likely didn't finish those songs anyway (and it's possible they recorded them again, since they did record songs and do overdubs for EOMS in Los Angeles at the end of 1971).

Some mental game they were involved in possibly.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 1, 2018 06:07

CLASSIC Coen Brothers film ... just watch it .,.. live with it ...

ROCKMAN

Date: January 2, 2018 05:18

Rockman
CLASSIC Coen Brothers film ... just watch it .,.. live with it ...

A movie I can't help but watch whenever it's on and discover something new and funny every time I watch it!

Date: January 2, 2018 05:22

GasLightStreet
TooTough
GasLightStreet
bluesinc.

[iorr.org]

Interesting information in that thread.

There's a post in there where it says Stanley Booth stated that Loving Cup was recorded at Muscle Shoals in 1969. Everything else points to that not being true. Loving Cup done in 1969 during sessions that included Jiving Sister Fanny, Live With Me, Let It Bleed, Monkey Man.

Exile is really a mixture of bits and pieces left over from the previous album recorded at Olympic Studios and which, after we got out of the contract with Allen Klein, we didn't want to give him: tracks like Shine a Light, and Sweet Virginia. Those were mixed up with a few slightly more grungy things done in the South of France. It's seen as one album all recorded there and it really wasn't. We just chucked everything in.
- Mick Jagger, 2003

[timeisonourside.com]

What's funny about Mick's statement of not wanting to "give him" Shine A Light and Sweet Virginia among more that he didn't name is that they're ABKCO Music. It's probably meant in terms of letting Decca have them on an album instead of RSR/Atlantic - they're ABKCO Music publishing but performance wise they're RSR/Atlantic.

Which is potentially weird in a way - they didn't want him to have those but it was OK for him to have Honky Tonk Women? Kind of an odd mentality. Who knows. At the time of their trajectory it makes sense that they released HTW because Loving Cup and Sweet Virginia and Shine A Light are not hit songs, obviously, in hind sight, but also they most likely didn't finish those songs anyway (and it's possible they recorded them again, since they did record songs and do overdubs for EOMS in Los Angeles at the end of 1971).

Some mental game they were involved in possibly.

Not that this solves the issue but I toured the facility last summer and they said only 3 songs recorded there, Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, and You Got To Move.

Great tour by the way.

Toured Fame studios too...it's ok, kinda disappointing, they only have 1 tour a day and still book the studio during that time so you may or may not see the famous Studio A. If it's unavailable you get to see Studio B and Rick Hall's office.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home