Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Christmas and your Stones songs
Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 24, 2017 21:37

It's that time of the year again; Christmas!

During these days I love to listen to some easy songs to emphasize that Christmas. Of course also some Stones songs.

I love to listen to "Metamorhosis" while having a Christmas feast!

All those songs are really fine and have that Christmas vibe. Don't know. smiling smiley

And I especially like to play the bootleg song Separately ! It has that winter, melancholic feeling with it.

What are your favorite Stones songs to play during Christmas? smiling smiley

Re: Christmas and your Stones songs
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 24, 2017 21:51

Here, a present for you: [iorr.org]

smileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 25, 2017 00:32

I traditionally listen only to early Beatles albums along and Burl Ives Christmas hits, as always Bing Crosby's White Christmas.

Here's a rare live version of Burl's Holly Jolly Christmas - he still was at the top of his game in his later years. smiling smiley

Burl Ives - Have A Holly Jolly Christmas

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 25, 2017 03:54

Wow. Somebody digs Burl Ives. Don't dig his Christmas stuff, but I like him as an actor. He's great in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof and The Big Country. Re the Stones as Christmas music, I have never considered them as background for the holiday. Jazz and blues renditions of Christmas music, yes, but never the Stones, nor for that matter, The Beatles or any other pop/rock performer/group. The Stones may be more appropriate for kicking in the New Year.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 25, 2017 04:30

.................... Always ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 25, 2017 05:14

On Air ... Disc two .....

Little By Little................. great with roast vegetables ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: December 25, 2017 07:35

Moonlight Mile always takes me back to Christmas '71. The house is dark, the tree is lit and 14-year-old me is getting off on the wonderful swell of strings at the end of the song. "Yeah I'm goin home..."

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 25, 2017 07:51

Run run Rudolph
Santa's gotta make it to town
Santa make him hurry tell him he can take the freeway down
Run run Rudolph reeling like a merry-go-round.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 25, 2017 13:28

Date: December 20, 2020 18:58

It's that time again. Share your favorite Stones songs which you play during Christmas holidays.

Mine is:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-21 11:22 by DiamondDog7.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 20, 2020 20:57

This year obviously

Living In A Ghost Town

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 20, 2020 21:11

This one, which debuted at #1 for 10 weeks and has sold over 38 million copies, gets played about 18 hours a day during The Twelve Days Of Christmas and being replaced by The Wild Tchoupitoulas or The Meters to celebrate Carnival starting on January 6th.

Date: December 21, 2020 11:13

I forgot this one! WINTER is a perfect song for Christmas:

Date: December 21, 2020 11:13

...and of course MOONLIGHT MILE;

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 21, 2020 15:32

Musically The Stones doesn't much - or at all - resonate with Christmas. I think "Winter" is the closest, and in the heart of it has a kind off 'fvck off Xmas' - like the whole damn wintertime - feel on it... However, that's the closing song when I play my sweet and short rock-related Christmas song list. It consists of Slade's live "Merry Christmas Everybody", followed by Dylan's "Must Be Santa" and Lennon's christmas song, and then Keef's "Run Rudolph Run", to be closed with "Winter". And that's it.

But personally I have fond memories of Christmas related to the Stones. It was back in 1981 when Santa Claus exploded young Doxa's world by gifting a supposedly good boy with TATTOO YOU, his first Stones album. And next christmas the bearded guy gave him the missing pieces in his otherwise complete Stones official album collection, IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL and LOVE YOU LIVE albums. To get those two, Doxa needed to give Santa some helping hand by mail.

So everytime I listen TATTOO YOU I feel the remininscants of that Christmas 1981 and of the following holiday season. It was musically such a novel experience for me back then that it really took some time to really 'get' the album (especially the flip side). It sounded 'odd' but still fascinating - like even not grasping it all initially, it had the feel of a promise that it will finally reward all the effort and more. Surely "Start Me Up" - the reason why Santa was ordered to get the album for me - and "Little T&A" were obvious winners straight from the start, like "Waiting On A Friend" I guess, but for the rest it took some time to 'grow on me' (to use the old slogan). But unnecessary to mention that after hundreds of listenings or so I was finally and totally hooked by all of it... and seemingly for good: it amazes me still how damn brilliant the album sounds everytime I listen to it (the rest of their catalogue isn't bad either...).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-21 15:38 by Doxa.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 21, 2020 17:16

I don't associate the Stones' music with Christmas at all. Of course Keith's first solo release hit the target.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: December 21, 2020 17:29

I don't really mean the lyrics of the Stones songs or the whole Christmas spirit, but I mean the music or vibes of a song...that melancholy feeling.

For example, mine is MOONLIGHT MILE...that dreamy, gloomy vibe of this track.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1856
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home