Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: IDEAS FOR NEW DELUXE EDITION
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 3, 2018 15:22

Paris'76 on DVD/Bluray with a cd of El Mocambo'77 as a bonus.

GHS or TY can wait...

Date: April 3, 2018 15:23

FrogSugar
One more vote from me for Tattoo You. If there's not enough studio cuts, give us live versions...

There are no studio cuts from Tattoo You. Not even the songs on Tattoo You.

However, a TY Deluxe, with leftovers from GHS, IORR, BAB, SG and ER would be much welcomed smiling smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 3, 2018 15:23

How about Voodoo Lounge, we know there's great tracks unreleased. Plus it's the recent line up so no need for excluding past band members and they could even do an autographed edition. Put lots of great pictures, unreleased live audio and video in a special material box. This is what I call a super deluxe edition.

Date: April 3, 2018 15:24

dcba

GHS or TY can wait...

One of the most circulated bootlegs of all time? Nah, I have three versions of it + an old cassette...

El Mocambo, though, bring it on!!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 3, 2018 16:17

There had been plans for GOATS HEAD SOUP and TATTOO YOU deluxe editions. Don Was talked at length about "Scarlet" being included in the former. Presumably the latter would be, as Bard says, an anthology of tracks from the seventies. However, along with the expanded reissue of NO SECURITY, these projects seem to be on hold. The only talk (and now already a year old) was of a VOODOO LOUNGE show FROM THE VAULT release (likely New York, Miami, or Tokyo unless it's all three) and a MICK JAGGER FROM THE VAULT release for the 30th anniversary of his solo tour. This is a strange time. There is no word on anything coming from Universal/Polydor/Interscope/ABKCO/Eagle/Ward Records. It is possible the new studio album is a factor in this scheduling freeze.

Posted by: BOW2007 ()
Date: April 3, 2018 16:34

expanded reissue of NO SECURITY ???? i think is STRIPED

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 3, 2018 16:39

BOW2007

I think you probably mean Stripped which was expanded to a four DVD edition plus a new CD compilation only two years ago.
No Security is currently "off catalogue".

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: April 3, 2018 16:42

i replied on this one. I know it's Striped.

Date: April 3, 2018 16:44

BOW2007

i replied on this one. I know it's Striped.

Date: April 3, 2018 17:04

No, I am not talking about TOTALLY STRIPPED. Once the legal problems with Dave Matthews' management are resolved, the plan is to reissue NO SECURITY as an expanded release. Allegedly a 1999 show is under consideration for inclusion. Others have speculated St. Louis would be part of the release. This would be a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray package. In any event, until the royalty issue is resolved one way or another, this remains in limbo.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 3, 2018 18:07

Tattoo II. Mix of great songs from the deflated new album plus archive gems

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 3, 2018 18:16

There is nothing more to squeeze out. And who's gonna buy all this stuff in times of Spotify and downloading?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 3, 2018 18:20

DandelionPowderman
dcba

GHS or TY can wait...

One of the most circulated bootlegs of all time? Nah, I have three versions of it + an old cassette...

El Mocambo, though, bring it on!!

I agree with you about Paris (very weak shows imo) but according to insiders they've been given the green light for official release some time ago. The only way to make this one sexy to my eyes would be to add a best-of from the Mocambos.

Re: archival series next release?
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 3, 2018 18:46

ABKCO will surely release a BB 50th edition. With or without Stones input. That would be around Christmas which might have a bearing on the release date of the new Stones album.
On the other hand, it might not.
All the product comes out of Universal anyway.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 3, 2018 19:28

Just cut the Dave Matthews song!! Or mix out his vocals and re record them. He was terrible anyway so why pay him a penny?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-03 19:29 by DrPete.

Date: April 3, 2018 19:42

Personally, I would be fine with "Memory Motel" or "Wild Horses" without Mr. Matthews. However, I think it's a bit more complex as far as NO SECURITY goes. The contract from Promotone B.V. stipulates format cannot be altered. You can't add bonus tracks to the same disc as the album. You can't (intentionally) alter the contents. There have been exceptions with longer versions of "Slave" or "Luxury" or "Time Waits for No One" or a speed-corrected "Fingerprint File" turning up, but those are still the same takes. This would mean substituting a different version of a recording when the guest artist was part of the original release. If they open the door to changes of that nature, it opens the door for other changes in the future. Their contract is designed to protect from that. Mind you, if the disc had sold better, it probably would have been resolved. The eventual expanded reissue may serve to give it a boost in the catalog. The hurdle will have to be cleared though.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 3, 2018 20:10

Obviously there was a royalty agreement with the original release. That can be renegotiated with every subsequent release?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 4, 2018 00:35

frankotero
How about Voodoo Lounge, we know there's great tracks unreleased. Plus it's the recent line up so no need for excluding past band members and they could even do an autographed edition. Put lots of great pictures, unreleased live audio and video in a special material box. This is what I call a super deluxe edition.

Voodoo Lounge had too many duff tracks in its official release. I doubt there's a big audience for songs that weren't good enough to make that original cut.

Date: April 4, 2018 00:43

DrPete
Obviously there was a royalty agreement with the original release. That can be renegotiated with every subsequent release?

I did say royalty, didn't I? To be fair, the source said the release was delayed because of "an issue" with Dave Matthews' management. I can't imagine what it would be if it wasn't royalty-related. Perhaps they went forward prematurely the first time around and they're trying to make it right before it's reissued. In any event, no one is suing and it's simply unavailable for the past decade.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: April 4, 2018 03:08

Maindefender
KRiffhard
Maindefender
I want that GHS 45th, would Scarlet qualify to be on the bonus portion? Hopefully GHS can somehow be remastered differently.

thumbs upthumbs up
A CD bonus with these songs:
Scarlett
Windmill
Drift Away
Criss Cross Man
Living in the heart of love
Fast Talking, Slow walking
Separately
Slow Down and stop
You should have seen her ass
Through the lonely nights

Thru The Lonely already came out on "rarities". But yes 45th GHS in 2018 please. Wouldn't be surprised with the Stones revisiting Silver Train and Dancing With Mr. D. on recent tours. >grinning smiley<

I doubt they would include Through The Lonely Nights on a Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition. They didn't include Everything's Turning To Gold on the Some Girls Deluxe Edition.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: April 4, 2018 03:54

the outtakes from VL/B2B + Forty L sessions are the songs that they might finished, but we know most of it, that's the problem ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-04 03:55 by mariano.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: April 4, 2018 03:57

24FPS
I'm shocked ABKCO hasn't done anything along the lines of an anthology of their early years. 50th of Beggar's Banquet. Come on, ABKCO!

They sort of missed the boat on that. Much of that material has been released already on European public domain releases that are easily available from the Amazon U.K. Even much of the BBC material had already been released that way before it gained an official release last year.

These public domain releases have already issued shows from Paris and Honolulu which are some of the better sounding live shows with Brian.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: April 4, 2018 03:57

24FPS
frankotero

Voodoo Lounge had too many duff tracks in its official release. I doubt there's a big audience for songs that weren't good enough to make that original cut.

I have to sadly agree. Same with Paris '76 as a release. About the only thing that would grab my attention would a 1970 Europe, Australia '73 (Perth!) or El Mocambo as far as live releases go...

Date: April 4, 2018 04:00

best deluxe box ....? (before Beggars on december)

+ four or five shows (clubs and theaters)

Dirty Work outtakes

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 4, 2018 04:10

Rocky Dijon
No, I am not talking about TOTALLY STRIPPED. Once the legal problems with Dave Matthews' management are resolved, the plan is to reissue NO SECURITY as an expanded release. Allegedly a 1999 show is under consideration for inclusion. Others have speculated St. Louis would be part of the release. This would be a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray package. In any event, until the royalty issue is resolved one way or another, this remains in limbo.

Seriously? This is a planned release and THAT is whats holding it back??

Couldnt they just get around it and issue a different version of Memory Motel that doesnt have him on it?

Two decades on, my ears are still traumatized by that abortion of a cameo.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 4, 2018 04:15

mariano
best deluxe box ....? (before Beggars on december)

+ four or five shows (clubs and theaters)

Dirty Work outtakes

Who will pay for the outtakes of this crappy album ( beside some completists...) ?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 4, 2018 04:20

Gazza
Rocky Dijon

Seriously? This is a planned release and THAT is whats holding it back??

Couldnt they just get around it and issue a different version of Memory Motel that doesnt have him on it?

Two decades on, my ears are still traumatized by that abortion of a cameo.

They should pay for the right to delete this awful Memory Motel version from a planned expanded edition,if this is a serious issue...

Date: April 4, 2018 04:23

Many many people

Date: April 4, 2018 04:24

tomk
Gazza
How would you get a deluxe of Tattoo You when it was almost entirely made up of unfinished songs from previous albums and where Jagger did most of his vocals on his own in a studio in Paris?

There could be alternate vocal and mixes that were done. And there may be other songs Kimsey picked that didn't make the final cut. Kimsey would have the best answer for that. Keep in mind, though, that we're dealing with a singer who doesn't like to relive any of this, two guitar players who don't care, a bass player 20-plus years removed from anything, and a drummer, when asked, will say, "I don't remember. Why are you asking me these things?" They really need to get there archives in order if they're gonna do this stuff. The Some Girls edition was horrible. They could have done so much more with that, but they didn't. The "From The Vault" series is good, but Jagger, as I said, doesn't care about any of this. Why on earth would you put an outake from 1967 on an Exile deluxe edition? Because you don't care.

They were in a hurry to finish Tattoo You for the tour. I doubt that in Paris in spring '81 Mick finished vocals on many songs that ended up not being used.

There were certainly alternate versions and mixes though although whether thats worth padding out to a second disc is another matter. You'd basically just be releasing songs that have different vocal overdubs to what was released.

Agree with much of the rest of what youre saying though. While there was some nice material on these releases, the way they tried to rewrite history was crappy. The Some Girls one is the only one that still holds up for me. I thought the Sticky Fingers 'bonus' studio material was mostly pointless and half arsed, even if at least they didnt add new parts to the songs for those ones.

Date: April 4, 2018 04:26

mariano
Many many people

An expanded release of the album regarded widely as a career low point where most of the bonus songs will feature Keith on lead vocals?

The record labels will be queueing round the block to sign them up for that one!!

mariano
the outtakes from VL/B2B + Forty L sessions are the songs that they might finished, but we know most of it, that's the problem ...

Theres no market for an expanded release of albums from the second half of their career. The BTB stuff hasnt circulated but what songs they DID leave off have Keith on lead vocals for the most part. The amount of songs they finished for 40 Licks could be counted on one hand and werent particularly good. The leftovers are pretty much unlistenable.

Putting some of that stuff out as part of a career spanning outtakes box set is conceivable, but would make zero commercial or critical sense on their own

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-04 04:31 by Gazza.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home