Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Your first “hit” of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: December 17, 2017 10:19

Meaning what song of the band first made an impression on you no matter what era? Mine was Not Fade Away. Thereafter I used to leg it to the newsagent every Thursday morning to buy the NME. Those were memorable days. And yours was?

[m.youtube.com]

Re: Your first “hit” of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 17, 2017 10:39

Can't pin down one song...like the Beatles they've been around my entire life (born in '63). I have vague memories of hearing Satisfaction and Get Off My Cloud on the radio c.'65/'66, clearer memories of my older brother buying Sticky Fingers in '71, and absolute clear as day memories of when I bought Made in the Shade in '75- my first Stones album which I still have.

Posted by: jonnylamar ()
Date: December 17, 2017 11:43

81' tour vhs. I was 16 at a guess. And it was around 1987. I thought they looked and sounded amazing! A vhs version of ladies and gentlemen was also for hire at the video store. Blown away again! 81 has a big place in my Stones heart.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: December 17, 2017 14:16

Hard for me to pin it down to just one track too. But it would be from, Not Fade Away, Pain in My Heart, Time is on My Side, Little Red Rooster, You Better Move On. My biggest TV memory of the time was Ready Steady Go which aired live every Friday evening, their line being 'The weekend starts here!' . That would have been around 1963 I think. My rush to the newsagent was to try to get copies of 'Rolling Stone' I did manage to buy a few, just wish I'd kept them!
Their first single I bought was The Last Time. My older brother bought the LP Aftermath, being richer than me as he did a milk round before school. But I nicked it off him when I left home before him aged 18
So my Stones passion started when I was eleven. I went to my first Stones concert when I was twelve. Those early numbers I have listed, they are still some of my very favourites and still send a tingle down my spine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-17 14:20 by ycagwywpmd.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 17, 2017 14:21

Route 66 on a crystal set in Perth, on, it transpired, Radio Luxembourg, as I was trying to find a station playing the cricket. Got The Stones by mistake and that was it..

Rod

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 17, 2017 14:36

bitusa2012
Route 66 on a crystal set in Perth, on, it transpired, Radio Luxembourg, as I was trying to find a station playing the cricket. Got The Stones by mistake and that was it..

Same here. I already knew some of their songs but this was THE song that hooked me on the Stones, when I got their first album. thumbs up

Posted by: Ruediger ()
Date: December 17, 2017 15:23

On October 12, 1963 I had my 16th birthday (I am 70 and counting now) and a friend gave me the single "I wanna be your man / Money". This was the beginning of my love for the boys which is still alive. In September 2017 I saw them in Munich; this was my 19th show and I hope there will be some to come.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-17 15:24 by Ruediger.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: December 17, 2017 16:05

I remember as a 12yr I walked into my front room, my gran was watching and shouting st the TV.
She was shouting dirty men they need a good wash, I looked at the TV and I was transfixed as I saw this group play I wanna be your man.
It's a moment I will never forget, as from then on I was hooked.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: December 17, 2017 16:12

1st song to hit me when I came to uk was J.J.FLASH and 1st single I bought with my own money I was 15, since then never looked back,1st concert was HYDE PARK 1969,what a way to start my life with loving the STONES MUSIC.YEAAAAAAA.

Date: December 17, 2017 16:13

Worried About You

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 17, 2017 18:01

"Mona" (It was called "I Need You Baby" on the album I heard it on), from their first album. I thought that was the best rhythm ever. I liked the rest of the album very much too. Amazing, it came out in the very early 60s but it sounded fresher and more exciting than any of the music I had heard at that time when I grew up (which were - unfortunately - the 80s).

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: December 17, 2017 18:05

Satisfaction,summer '65 in my father's café.I was 6.The juke box played the song every 10 minutes,nowadays I atended 157 shows.I still have the record with the sleeve suposed to be the rarest single in France.Thank you the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 17, 2017 18:21

"Waiting on a Friend" - video on television.

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: December 17, 2017 18:25

Satisfaction. I was sitting in a neighbors car in the 70's listening to AM radio and Satisfaction came on. At the time I was heavily into the Beatles. My first Stones album was Rolling Stones Now shortly after that. I had every Beatles album. Most of them I lifted from my older cousins who lived down the street from me. My mom used to take me to the music store to buy one album. I randomly picked Now. I wasn't disappointed. Heart of Stone with the great Keith solo was equally impressive. Mona with Brian's hypnotic guitar also made an impression. I didn't know for another few years who Brian Jones even was or that he played that guitar part. The only Stones people knew in the 70's in the states was Mick and Keith. Then I kinda discarded the Beatles and focused on everything Stones after that. I dated a girl in high school who had Big Hits Hide Tide and Green Grass. I was blown away after listening to it. From that day forward the Stones were equal to the Beatles in my books. I tried to lift that album but Patty was on to me and guarded it with her life. Lol. It was her older brothers. After further research I found out that Brian Jones was responsible for half of the guitar parts I thought were impressive and not Keith. When I heard his solo on I Wanna Be Your Man I was completely blown away. For years I thought it was Keith until I started reading books. Satisfaction started if all for me and I don't really care for that song to much anymore.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 17, 2017 18:29

'Play With Fire', aged 13.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: December 17, 2017 18:36

The very first one I heard on the AM radio, in 1964, Martinsville, Virginia, nine years old, riding in the car with my dad.'

IT'S ALL OVER NOW

Bought that single (as well as TELL ME) within about two days at one of the local record shops, and played both of them to death.

By the time SATISFACTION came out, the song that made my friends finally discover them, I already felt like a veteran fan!

"I was Stones before Stones were cool....."

smileys with beer

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 17, 2017 18:47

Miss You. I was a huge Beatles fan, had just moved towns and started Middle School. I heard this song on the Radio and the announcer said, "The Rolling Stones new hot single in the top ten!" I knew the names of The Rolling Stones, but didn't know their music. It grabbed me, and I went out and bought (with my paper route money) my first Stones album Some Girls. I was hooked!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: December 17, 2017 18:48

The cartoon on the reverse side of "between the buttons".

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 17, 2017 19:08

Miss You. I pain no attention to the Stones until that and Some Girls came out. Within 2 years I had almost all of their albums.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: December 17, 2017 19:27

Made In The Shade. 1975. Awestruck.
6 months later, bought first three albums, discovered the blues
3 months later, first live show...still here smiling smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 17, 2017 21:09

First hit-
Addicted since.

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 18, 2017 05:31

For me it was the first Organ chord on that first 'single' radio version (North America) of "Time Is On My Side." I hadn't seen TAMI yet; I don't think they filmed it yet...it was just listening to the transistor AM radio as I did ALL the time; and had been doing since 1960 at age 9 pretty much. Runaround Sue then The Wanderer by Dion did me in 1961. That was black session drummer very distinctive; real "rhythm rock," and I was hooked; I was 'In,' ....
when the Invasion hit with The Beatles I bought Every fan magazine and SAW The Rolling Stones in an early, but fancy/dramatic Press photo....and THAT was distinct. There were about two dozen bands in there; anybody who was UK and looked vaguely "Beatle-ish" with the hair....Liverpool bands; the Liverpool Beat; all that; so a little kid doesn't know from Dartford outside London or the Northern port towns but would learn over time....the 'look' of The Stones; I don't know how much 'manicured' by Andrew; but they STOOD out to me before I even heard any of those bands except for The Beatles and maybe Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas, or something from over there....

so that was a bit of a 'hit' a very first 'visual' hit.
i was drawn to Bill's solemn face; he always looked like a Mount Rushmore Monument great caveman 'Stone face' cat or something....there WAS a little more mysery; almost a confrontative kinda stance; where the other bands were usually smiling and alla that....

but I heard that Organ then the harmony chorus that kicks it off; I didn't know if it was a 'soul' act like The Shirelles or whatever....then that first Mick vocal; and it was authorative and snotty and beautiful; full of cool but sittin' on some almost vengance; she's gonna learn how hard life is without 'him' ....it would be decades before I'd hear the most excellent original.
The Stones Time Is On My Side def got me to the record store for the single; I got the LP as soon as it came out in the Northeast U.S.
The LP didn't even have "Time" on it but I didn't care.
Rt. 66 grabbed me hard; Their version still does all these decades later.
Tell Me was FABULOUS....THAT WAS it; they were all over the radio...

Clay Cole TV and all these Indepdendent TV station Hosts were having the wrinkled rumpled a little surly all together beautiful Rolling Stones lip-synching; occasionally, like on Mike Douglas, an actual Live performance. Then Shindig TV Show in Prime Time; a LOT A LOT of Stones appearances and I seemed to catch just about every one; We were tuned IN to this stuff Bigtime.

So Time; preceded by that very serious picture of very serious, almost distracted and bored; which was very appealing to someone trying to tolerate the stupidity of Jr. High School after the luxury fun learning groove of Elementary School; which wasn't totally about putting the collar on you and tightening it till you sat in a row or something; So I 'related' to what I was seeming to 'get' just from their 'stance' sorta....well literally; the way they stood together; stared into the camera; showing IT who was boss; not smiling all cutie-poo for the teenie weenies; Even 12 year olds; well especially 12 year olds; have a sensitive sense of decorum; These guys were trouble and they were gonna be there for me; I heard She Said Yeah and nearly lost my mind. This was it.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: December 18, 2017 05:53

I remember them being all over the radio in the summer of ‘78, I have vague memories of hearing Hot Stuff and Angie on the radio...

They were my first concert in July of ‘78 at Muni Stadium in Cleveland...

I do remember seeing the movie Apacalypse Now! And hearing Satisfaction in one of the river boat scenes and being really struck with how good the song is....

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: December 18, 2017 06:43

You Got Me Rocking. Needs no further explanation, right?

Oh well. I guess you had to be there. I was 17 at the time. That was the first "new" song I heard from the band, back in the spring of 1994, and I was astounded to find out they were still alive and kicking. Of course I had a general familiarity with the Hot Rocks type of stuff, but it all took off from there for me that year. True story.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 18, 2017 07:56

KingmanBarstow
Meaning what song of the band first made an impression on you no matter what era? Mine was Not Fade Away. Thereafter I used to leg it to the newsagent every Thursday morning to buy the NME. Those were memorable days. And yours was?

[m.youtube.com]

Yep, February 1964 .... Not Fade Away. I felt like being struck by lightning. And after almost 54 years my love for the band still hasn't faded away smileys with beer

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: December 18, 2017 12:10

Child of the Moon - I favoured the B-side over JJF back in 1973 back then.

2nd one was Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby? on a "Donauland"-tape (Big Hits 1) the same year I guess.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 18, 2017 15:10

Loved "Honky Tonk Women", even as a child

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 18, 2017 16:56

The Last Time

heard on car radio when i was about 11...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 18, 2017 17:10

All Over Now. I was very young, but I remember that I was impressed by the pumping bass lines asking my mother who is it? She answered that it is somewhat Beatles-like stuff lasting at max two years or so ... 53 years later it is clear that she wasn't right.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 18, 2017 17:22

The stones had a big hit in 1973.my dad did not like this thin man with lipstick.thats when i got caught.my first single was Fool to cry.the hague my first concert. Now got 34 and still counting.
Jeroen^

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home