Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: PETITION:To stop Keith from singing ballads in stadiums!!!!!
Posted by: bruno ()
Date: September 19, 2005 21:10

IMHO, Keith should play only ONE song, and it should be a rocker.

More to discuss:

Many people here agree that "Keith can do whatever song he wants", and at the same time admits that "the Stones do warhorses because it's what casual fans want to hear". Anybody here thinks that casual fans want to hear Keith doing two ballads? No.

So, and related to other topics about setlist, my innocent question is.... (drum roll):

If the Stones do whatever they want when it's time for Keith's set (despite casual fans not wanting to hear two ballads), why don't they do the same with the general setlist (despite casual fans wanting warhorses)????

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 19, 2005 21:14

bruno Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> my innocent question is.... (drum roll):
>
> If the Stones do whatever they want when it's time
> for Keith's set (despite casual fans not wanting
> to hear two ballads), why don't they do the same
> with the general setlist (despite casual fans
> wanting warhorses)????

It's a little known musical anomaly called double standard time. To whit, Stones fans have a double standard at times, particularly when it comes to Keef.

Personally, as long as he stays away from Bridge Over Troubled Waters and Down In The Ghetto, he's golden.

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 19, 2005 21:16

>> If the Stones do whatever they want when it's time for Keith's set (despite casual fans not wanting to hear two ballads), why don't they do the same with the general setlist (despite casual fans wanting warhorses)???? <<

because they don't feel like it. :E
(let go of their ears - they know what they're doing.)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: SeNdEr ()
Date: September 19, 2005 21:51

Keith is not the same, his voice is not the same, Slipping Away is not easy to sing, The Worst and Infamy are easy to sing.

Posted by: Dayokay ()
Date: September 19, 2005 23:42

I'm with ShatterednVA. I don't want to hear Keith 'sing'. Two valuable slots wasted. Realistically, Jagger must have a break, so I guess one Keith song is the best to hope for.

Dayokay

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: September 20, 2005 06:08

I saw Keith do you Got the Silver in San Jose on the No security tour. They also did Moonlight Mile on that night and I got the blues the night before

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: September 20, 2005 07:51

Some of you have personailty disorders I'm sure.
You start abusing a guy cos he wants to ban Keith songs from stadium shows.
Sad.

Apart from the fact I happen to agree with him, even if I didn't I wouldn't be calling him a "bastard" and so on.

Stadium shows will soon be down to 19 songs and two will Keith songs that almost nobody wants to hear.

He has some brilliant studio songs but generally a large crwod couldn't give a rats about SA, T&T and so on.

"Infamy" and "This place is empty" are the two worst songs on ABB.
"Infamy" would be for most an utter snore from a live perspective.

And for those of you that feel Keith has earned the right to do what he likes, how do you reason this?

I enjoyed watching Keith do his songs on the Licks tours but "Happy" sounded terrible and his voice (when it was there) couldn't even near cut it.
BTMMR is an average song at best that needs to be put to bed as nobody apart from Stones fans really knows it.
And as usual with Keith it goes on forever and he avoids the mic.
SA again noone knows and it's boring live.
T&T he sang very well but it bored the crowd - I could see it as well as feel it.

Amazes me Keith doesn't.

Give Mick 22 songs to sing and be done with it.

As for "The nearness of you", my God, Keith's lost all touch with reality if he thinks large crowds of people paying obnoxious prices to see the Stones, want to hear him do that.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Date: September 20, 2005 07:51

If you don't want to hear Richards sing,don't go to a Rolling Stones concert.If you don't want to hear him sing,I say you have very poor taste.The emotion he puts into almost all of his lead vocals is not equaled my many singers at all,if any.If you want to hear classic style singers,go see The Three Tenors or someone like that - maybe the Primitive Cool lp or a pop group.Without Richards,there would be no Rolling Stones concerts.The set list has never decreased because of his lead vocal songs.Some people here need to get their heads out of their as*es.I would prefer 24 song shows with three songs featuring Richards on lead vocals.
"This ain't no fast food restaurant."

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: September 20, 2005 07:57

for me keiths singing is one of the highlights
at a stones concert. sure he can bring some other
tunes in the setlist,but somebody mentioned before (also imo)
mick makes the setlist.anyway cant wait to hear my special"friend"
keeeeeeeeef. :-)
my personal faves by keef are:
slepp tonight
you got the silver
the harder they come
ALSO cant be seen
This place is empty (one of keefs best songs ever IMO)
and many more

however i wont be dissatisfied with worst and infamy.

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Date: September 20, 2005 08:04

"If you don't want to hear Richards sing,don't go to a Rolling Stones concert".

Yeah sure thing Mom.
Might have escaped your attention but paople around the world recognise Mick Jagger as the lead singer of the Rolling Stones - you also might surmise that's who they'd expext singing at a Stones concert donch fink?

"If you don't want to hear him sing,I say you have very poor taste".

Taste is a personal thing but I wouldn't expect you to be aware of that.

"The emotion he puts into almost all of his lead vocals is not equaled my many singers at all,if any"

Who gives a sh it?
I want the Stones not a KR embarrasing episode on stage.
Emotion is brought into the subject time and agian simply to avoid discussing the fact he can't f'n sing.

"Without Richards,there would be no Rolling Stones concerts"

Well without the MJ, CW and millions of paying fans, air, water, the sun, guitars, the blues and Donald f'n Duck for all we know there would be no Rolling Stones concerts.
What the hell does that have to do with Richrad's singing like a bashed crab on stage?

"If you want to hear classic style singers,go see The Three Tenors or someone like that - maybe the Primitive Cool lp or a pop group."

Who's talking classic style singing? Howabout just someone that can sing?
Which Keith can't.
And how does one go about seeing the Primitive Cool lp live?
And a tip - the Stones are a pop group.

"Some people here need to get their heads out of their as*es"

Damn straight - lead the way....

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Date: September 20, 2005 09:11

Let's deal in the facts.Jagger does sing a vast majority of the Rolling Stones songs but,he does not sing them all.He does,however,sing at every Stones show.
If you go to a Rolling Stones concert,you're going to get two songs with Richards on lead vocals.
Keith Richards can sing.I know this because I just saw him do it less than three days ago.
For me at least,possibly others,feeling is a part of what singing is.
I would also like to know who it is embarrasing for when he sings.I doubt that it is for him or it is less likely that he would have gone up to two lead vocals per show.
The Stones are actually considered a rock group.A very small percentage of their songs are pop-like.I was thinking more along the lines of a boy band or one of the bands that get heavy radio play on pop stations.The John Mayer Trio possibly?I can't offer any more details because I try to avoid hearing that garbage.Anyone can listen to these superior singers but,I'll keep listening to Richards.

Date: September 20, 2005 10:08

Okay I think I have a solution for both parties: Keith can do a long intro (song length) to Salt of the Earth, and then he can sing the first verse, like on the album. Or he can do a coupla songs first and then do SOTE.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-20 10:09 by camper88.

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: September 20, 2005 10:32

The Nearness Of You was one of the best songs any of the Stones did during Licks. I saw the song performed live 2 times and on both occasions Keith nailed it. BTW I can't stand the fact that people state Keith can't sing... why not? I just listened to How Can I Stop and it has one of the greatest vocals I've ever heard.

Date: September 20, 2005 10:50

Just listening to Locked Away, what a gem.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 20, 2005 15:11

Rik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JKF:
> The Worst and Infamy would probably be the best
> choices he could make. Two of the best songs he
> ever did and it's pure The-Keef-Of-Today. The
> Worst is better than any ballad he ever did (Even
> solo). And Infamy suits the reggae-loving Keith so
> well. What's not to like???
>
>
>
> again Kent, aere you ill?
>
> Ever listened to: hate it when you leave or make
> no mistake?

No, Why do you ask. I rate those two songs higher than the two you mention. And Happy too. YES!!!!!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: September 20, 2005 23:38

the best song I ever saw Keith do live was All bout you, and it was in Scotland in a stadium. The second best was The nearness of you at the Glasgow SECC. I wish some people here would leave the guy alone, he's the greatest rock n roll star ever. Youll all miss him when hes gone

Date: September 21, 2005 05:56

Maybe he could do That Feel. With Waits guesting. That'd be cool.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 21, 2005 06:05

I'd like to see one ballad and one rocker from Keef. If I could pick, I'd say You Got The Silver rotating with This Place Is Empty for the ballad, and Happy and Little T&A rotating for the rocker.

Date: September 21, 2005 09:11

Keith cannot sing.
His voice has been destroyed by junk, booze and cigarettes.

This crooning stuff is fine for the most part on studio lps but live it's terrible.

I don't deny some people loved TNOY on some licks shows but a stack of people I personally know that have 4 Flicks bring it up (or at least did with embarassing frequency when it came out) and cannot believe how bad it is.
Not only the song - but his singing on all the discs.

Hardly anyone outside of being a Rolling Stones fan would accuse Richards of being able to sing.
He simply cannot.

Mark Knofler can't sing for sh it and it didn't stop scaring countless microphones to death for the passed 30 odd years. Difference is when people go to a Dire Straits concert they KNEW he was the vocalist and that was that.

Just because somebody starts metaphorically exsanguinating themselves vocally to backing music, in front of a mic that's before an audience, doesn't make them a singer.

Your regular Joe doesn't wanna hear Keith sing - and for the umpteenth time - the Stones play for the masses - ie the regular Joe.

I love "The Worst" and TITN and much of his solo gear - but this again is studio stuff.

Live he comes up wanting very badly.
And people are paying hundreds to thousands of dollars per show to hear obscure crap that's poorly delivered like "The nearness of you".

For Christ's sake, this band could play one cracker after another that would keep the masses happy for hours on end.

I can assure you hearing Keith mumble endlessly thru "Infamy" ain't the reason they're there.

Just let Keith churn out at the mic a Chuck Berry number and be done with it I sez.

kyle m

Date: September 22, 2005 05:35

This is bordering on slander.People say Richards can't sing when he obviously does.Basically,what they are saying is that he can't sing well.I don't agree with this.I will concede that there are types of songs that he can't sing well so,he doesn't try to.I own a boot where some crazy drunk guy yells out for what I am sure was Little T & A and Richards replied : "I wish I could,pal".On the other hand,the most recent versions of Before They Make Me Run are far superior to the '89/'90 versions.Listen to his voice on Happy from '75.It was worse on that tour than I have ever heard it.I believe he still can and should do Connection.If not,there is plenty of other stuff up his sleeve.I don't believe his version of The Nearness Of You is an example of a bad song.I didn't see anything wrong with You Don't Have To Mean It either.Hardly anyone outside of a Rolling Stones fan has ever spent the time to listen to the tracks he sings on.I see people at these concerts who sit down before he ever even starts to sing,they don't give it a chance.I wouldn't encourage the Stones to try to please the masses anymore than they already do.These are the same people who actually enjoy hey hey you got me rocking;oh yeah,oh yeah you'll never make a saint of me;Miss You;and all of the yeah,yeah woos of Brown Sugar.For me,at least,the two Richards songs are something deeper to look forward to while all of this foolishness is going on.I also have not heard any mumbling on Infamy.He is clearly asking why people have it in for him,which hey,it looks like they do.Screw 'em.I would also like to add that live versions of The Worst & TITN exist that I would consider better than the studio versions.August 1,1994 comes to mind immediately for The Worst.I wonder why the version of You Got The Silver with KR on vocals made Let It Bleed and not the version with Jagger.Probably for the same reason the opposite was true for Gimme Shelter.It was the best version.I wonder why Thru & Thru was included on the Sopranos soundtrack.It doubtfully is because he can't sing.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1377
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home