Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Post Stones Age - What Next?
Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: December 13, 2017 18:07

It's now universally agreed that we are heading towards the final chapter?

What will life be like for you once the final album is released, the final show played? This will be the end of an era like no other. Yes, the Beatles split but the bigger show went on. Once the Stones have finished a way of life has finished.

I intend to live my life on a smaller scale where mortgages are not required to see a concert. Cherish the memories and still enjoy the music. But there is a vast world out there and I intend to reach for it.

And your plans?

Re: Post Stones Age - What Next?
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 13, 2017 18:09

There is no post-Stones era for me, my life will collapse.

plexi

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 13, 2017 18:17

It's no big deal that they stop,which they will soon. They've got 3 million releases, they're older than dirt. Their last best work was in 1981. No one is married to them. It should have ZERO impact on your life.

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: December 13, 2017 18:27

GasLightStreet
It's no big deal that they stop,which they will soon. They've got 3 million releases, they're older than dirt. Their last best work was in 1981. No one is married to them. It should have ZERO impact on your life.

Yes, indeed you are right. But even taking this into account it's a landmark, a milestone, maybe even a future cultural divide. It may well have a cerebral impact rather than a physical impact. This band have been a pillar of people's lives.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: December 13, 2017 18:30

"n. They've got 3 million releases"

What do you mean?

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: December 13, 2017 18:35

They will always "roll" into my mind, my soul, my heart, my memories and- who knows- maybe into my blood, too. I feel so proud of being part of the biggest, longest, strongest, greatest rock "party" in the entire rock history. Nothing lasts forever, of course. An I feel proud, not sad.

For the time being, I have to ask: UK, are you ready for the upcoming party??

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: December 13, 2017 19:31

KevinLocksPerm
What will life be like for you once the final album is released, the final show played?

Until one of the three remaining original members passes away I doubt that we will have any way of knowing that a given show or song is the last one. I can't imagine that the Stones or any of their employees would ever actually say that it's over in so many words.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 13, 2017 19:59

There will always be interesting things to dive into. Some of my musical favs have passed, and they remain a passion - Warren Zevon, The Doors, etc. etc. No more concerts, obviously, but when they play the same 18 songs every single night, the shows already have already lost some of their grip and excitement.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 13, 2017 20:06

As for music and videos, there's enough in the vaults for new releases for decades, and their enormous catalogue as it stands is already enough to keep anyone satisfied - no matter what era one prefers.
As for live shows? Their best days are long gone imo, and there's plenty of documentation from the last 50+ years to pick and choose from. Nothing lasts forever - not even the Stones, although it will be weird when it's over.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 13, 2017 21:56

Send It To me
There will always be interesting things to dive into. Some of my musical favs have passed, and they remain a passion - Warren Zevon, The Doors, etc. etc. No more concerts, obviously, but when they play the same 18 songs every single night, the shows already have already lost some of their grip and excitement.

Listen to the funeral of Little T&A from Las Vegas '16 and you know why they played basically the same at every show this year. They simply crash with unusual songs.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 13, 2017 22:07

the stones may finish one day, and quite soon, but the hobby of being a rolling stones fan should never finish till your own death.

think of all the releases, officially or not, vinyl, tape, cd, vhs, dvd, singles, albums, concerts, promo videos, you tube etc, then the vaults which could open for a few years, theres plenty of post stones era material to keep interest alive for a few years yet.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 13, 2017 23:07

The Joker
"n. They've got 3 million releases"

What do you mean?

Brian, Bill and Mick combined.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 13, 2017 23:09

20 years ago? Huge deal. Now? Nothing really. They would continue to make headlines now and then and we'd be able to continue to follow them on social media and most of it would be retro pictures etc. I dont think it would be a big deal anymore if they call it quits.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 13, 2017 23:18

Not much will change.
They already feel like history to me, since I listen to old songs and mostly am interested in what they did years ago.
The most interesting thing will be when insiders start to tell tales, but unfortunately, most of them are deceased or getting there.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 13, 2017 23:32

There will be a void and I will miss them dearly. Now put out that damn new album...lol

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 14, 2017 00:09

The Hendrix archives are still being 'milked' nearly 50 years after his demise.
And he was only a recording artist for 5 or so years.
Plenty of life in Stones Inc yet.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 14, 2017 00:20

Same as above : I'll buy every oversized "vaults" releases. What we've got so far was nothing. I suspect we might get 4 or 5 shows from a single tour.

For example I wouldn't mind buying Cleveland'75 thumbs up

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 14, 2017 00:30

I’m thinking, heat death of the universe.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 14, 2017 00:32

SomeTorontoGirl
I’m thinking, heat death of the universe.

I needed a laugh, thumbs up

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 14, 2017 02:05

where on the line did the stones come in.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 14, 2017 02:07

35love
...I needed a laugh, thumbs up

Wha...you think I'm kidding? winking smiley

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 14, 2017 02:20

the Beach Boys r older than the Stones

Hairball stated: Their best days are long gone

They remain a powerful live band. Paris 2 is the best Stones show I have ever seen, and I go back to '75. See my posts in the Faith Lost, Faith Found thread re the Paris shows -- [iorr.org].

plexi

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-14 02:42 by timbernardis.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: December 14, 2017 02:37

This shit don't look like ending anytime soon to me. Another 20 years at least! people laughed when I said the same thing during the VL tour but here we are 22 years later.

Date: December 14, 2017 05:11

timbernardis
the Beach Boys r older than the Stones

Hairball stated: Their best days are long gone

They remain a powerful live band. Paris 2 is the best Stones show I have ever seen, and I go back to '75. See my posts in the Faith Lost, Faith Found thread re the Paris shows -- [iorr.org].

plexi

Glad you enjoyed Paris 2 so much plexi. thumbs up
Coming from someone who wasn't at any of the shows, I've always said Paris 2 was the best of the bunch in the context of the No Filter tour.
For me personally, the last truly great Stones shows I saw were during the Licks tour - specifically theater/club shows.
Honorable mention goes to the 50 and Counting thanks to the inclusion of Mick Taylor - specifically L.A. #2.
I saw one of the Zip Code shows (San Diego opener), both Desert Trips, and the final *Vegas show, and none matched some of the better shows I've seen since '81.
We all have different expectations and reasoning as to what makes a great Stones show, and I don't think they'll ever meet certain standards again - jut my opinion.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: December 14, 2017 05:24

my plan: to live the next 60 odd years of my life (gods willing) reminiscing on the amazing music and working on a time portal that can take me back to the 70s

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 14, 2017 06:47

I was gonna continue as an artist contributing good to the world ...
But now I'm gonna get a job as a pizza chef ... Load all them poor poor people up on dough ...

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-14 06:49 by Rockman.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 14, 2017 07:55

jlowe
The Hendrix archives are still being 'milked' nearly 50 years after his demise.
And he was only a recording artist for 5 or so years.
Plenty of life in Stones Inc yet.

The Stones archives will not provide material until the 2060s. They were simply too lazy compared with Jimi Hendrix. Probably there are houndreds of unreleaseable rehearsal tapes a la Satanic Sessions, but not too many real outtakes. You see this on the Some Girls bonus CD where all "new" tracks were not new to us.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 14, 2017 07:59

Yep I agree .... there aint as much in the Stones Vaults as everyone thinks ....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 14, 2017 08:15

When I think of the "vaults" or "archival" releases, I'm also including live performances - that's 55 years worth of shows!
I dont know the exact number, but I recall there being a thread quite awhile ago that said the total amount of shows was well over 2,000.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 14, 2017 09:05

So why does Rolling Stones FANDOM depend on whether or not the "brand" is still active to play their greatest hits? The band died in 1969, that is if you're counting original members -- or not, if you're counting original memories.

Brian Jones has been dead now 48 years, and he will be dead for such a long time, yet when you hear Ruby Tuesday, with him playing recorder,... well, it wasn't him him in concert playing that in 1989. But you can still be a Brian Jones fan, any time.

You could still be a Jim Morrison fan, still be a James Dean fan, still be a Marx Brothers fan, still be a Mozart fan...

But for the Stones to keep recreating 1969? Sooner or later you have to say,... Keith? Looking a bit reptilian at this point. Needs to sit down now during Start Me Up. Him, an outlaw? With his lemon trees and his New England estate? Those dangling chains -- does he wear those full time, like at the dinner table with the family? Or even those scarves? (I would contend those scarves are just to hide the ever expanding belly.)

Mick? Even with all the makeup, his skin color looks a bit like... well, like leftover Thanksgiving turkey that's been kept in the fridge for a week too long.

They're 74, or whatever -- looking ahead, in the space of a Miss You to Undercover, they'll be EIGHTY.

But they don't have another Miss You in them, or even another Undercover. They don't even have as many shows left as they did between 1978 and 1982 -- it would take them 3 times as long to do that, and does anyone want to see Mick Jagger at age 90 with a 28 inch waist, still "Riding across the desert on a fine Arab charger..."?

So, no, "Post Stones Age" is whenever you made the adjustment and realized that they (the "Stones" [cue image of grinning, partying Keith in funny bright colors you'd never be caught dead wearing in public]) don't represent the present moment, but instead just a celebration of your probable past.

The Rolling Stones, 2017? It's a costume party, nothing more. And the music? The 45 rpm, live, is skipping a bit, noticeably in a few places. And the 33 and a 1/3? Well, it's struggling a bit... not to sound like 16 rpm.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2045
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home