Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: OT: Greta Van Fleet
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 19, 2021 14:53

The band is pushing all the right buttons on this latest single. To my ears, it has a 60s vibe. -Not bad, not bad at all:

[igormiranda.com.br]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 19, 2021 15:14

practically unlistenable. good management though.

Date: March 21, 2021 02:20

I`ve found it`s reference; "Cubist Town" by Manfred Mann, 1968. -Gee, that was hard to find! I knew it was there somewhere. It has to be said it`s not 100 % alike, but the similarity is obvious. It`s just the first couple of lines:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 26, 2021 01:26

First new album review as far as I know. -Sounds promising:

[www.therockpit.net]

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: April 16, 2021 17:33

Anyone listened to the new album?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 16, 2021 19:26

For a band that I believe I’ve read are trying to put a little distance between themselves and Led Zeppelin, sound wise, this new track has very strong overtones of Stairway to Heaven to my ears.

Rod

Date: April 17, 2021 02:00

JohnnyBGoode
Anyone listened to the new album?

-Phew! Yes, I have. I have listended through the album one time, as I bought it on vinyl today. Talking of "Stairway to Heaven", yes, that song`s presence is felt twice, I`d say. Firstly, one of the best songs on the album, "Broken Bells", has this song`s structure, but can`t be accused of any direct melodic similarities.

However, the last song on the album, the almost 9 minutes long "The Weight of Dreams", ends with a very similar guitar solo as "Stairway to Heaven". I hate to say it, but that`s how it sounds to me.

The album clocks in at more than 63 minutes, so here we`re in for a treat. I was pleased song by song up to a certain point. There are a lot of details to dive into, which I love. A familiar vein is given a new twist, and makes the songs sound new. They have their way of singing and playing that shines through, although the melodies might be different. However, I can live with that.

After having heard nine songs, you begin to expect something new, from that point and out. That doesn`t excactly happen, but it might only be me that just need to give it some more time. My premliminary verdict is this:

Most pleasant surprise: "Caravel".
Biggest disappointment, (in the light of positive reviews):
"Trip The Light Fantastic".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-17 02:01 by noughties.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 17, 2021 02:12

Horrible stuff. The shipyard sounds better.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 17, 2021 03:26

don't like this cut. I do own a couple of albums but if this is the direction I'm out.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 17, 2021 03:32

Terrible.

Date: April 28, 2021 23:35

Chart positions (No. 1 in the UK):

[www.sidestagemagazine.com]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 29, 2021 15:48

Saw them in a tiny club in Nashville years ago. Unique live vocal show, for sure. That said, they haven't progressed in any meaningful way, that I can hear. When you're very formulaic and derivative, how much growth can realistically be expected?

Josh seems to be a cool dude, though. A few months ago, he saw my friends' band and struck up a conversation with the singer. She didn't know who he was and said "We should play together some time." Probably not going to happen despite how good my friends' band is.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 29, 2021 15:55

Having read their name and seen so many quotes regarding their Zeppelin-influence, I thought I would finally give these guys a listen: I was shocked. Many seemingly focus on the vocalist's similarities to Robert Plant, yet, it's the entire group: it's friggin' Led Zeppelin with bells on! I understand that they've progressed a little from their debut LP, so perhaps they're aping a different British act from the 70's now. I think, from what I've heard, they sound fantastic, truthfully, but it's just too derivative to be taking seriously. At least an act like The Darkness, say, were good fun and a little tongue-in-cheek.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 29, 2021 21:31

The vocalist is horrible. He’s a one trick pony! And needs time with a vocal coach. It’s very telling that it’s been four years since their first album and they come up with this really lackluster cookie cutter Zeppelin album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-30 00:06 by whitem8.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 30, 2021 02:00

You can't count these guys out, they are the real deal.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 30, 2021 08:27

shadooby

Well, I do think the musicianship is first-rate. That’s undeniable, at least.

Date: April 30, 2021 16:36

After having heard this new album for some times, the songs reappear in my mind in equal measure "Sånt som setter seg i hovudet" to quote Swedish discjockey Claes af Geijerstam (Clabbe). That should be testimony to some quality songs.

Date: October 15, 2021 17:44

-But why is he singing in that high pitched tone? Robert Plant never did that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-15 17:54 by noughties.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 15, 2021 18:02

noughties
-But why is he singing in that high pitched tone? Robert Plant never did that.

I'm not a big fan of GVF, but they get knocked for sounding like Zeppelin and for not sounding like Zeppelin?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 15, 2021 19:17

If one's going to start a "OT"-thread starting with "Greta", then please let it be Great Garbo and not some kind of relevant pop music. We are not relevant on this board!

Date: October 15, 2021 21:32

I don`t think NOT sounding like Led Zeppelin is a good thing for this band.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: March 13, 2022 04:25

GVF have started a tour to promote the new album and will play the Alexandra Palace on 25 June.
I wonder if they are among the performers in the afternoon time slot of BST RS1.

Just my speculation.

[gretavanfleet.com]

Posted by: TurnerP ()
Date: March 13, 2022 10:21

And why is this tainting a lovely stones forum?

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: March 13, 2022 14:34

I saw them at Kentish Town Forum in 2018. The venue was packed, absolutely rammed, and it became stiflingly hot.

Eventually Greta Van Fleet came on stage over an hour late, smirking, no apologies or explanation. This sort of behaviour was common in the 1970s but I'm not seventeen any more. By then I'd been on my feet in a cramped space for over two hours.

The set was mercifully short, but I won't be bothering to go see them again. As another punter near me said "Someone needs to tell them that they don't have to copy everything about the 70s."

Date: March 13, 2022 17:48

-Love their albums, but I would never want to see this band live. There is something wrong about how he sings.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 11, 2023 01:25

Greta Van Fleet will release their 3rd album 'Starcatcher' on 21-Jul-2023.

Tracklist:

1. Fate Of The Faithful
2. Waited All Your Life
3. The Falling Sky
4. Sacred The Thread
5. Runway Blues
6. The Indigo Streak
7. Frozen Light
8. The Archer
9. Meeting The Master
10. Farewell For Now

[www.jpc.de] , [Music.Apple.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 11, 2023 02:03

I started out liking this band and want to like them but watched the video from the new album. Horrific. They need a little guidance.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 11, 2023 07:57

nobodyimportant
I saw them at Kentish Town Forum in 2018. The venue was packed, absolutely rammed, and it became stiflingly hot.

Eventually Greta Van Fleet came on stage over an hour late, smirking, no apologies or explanation. This sort of behaviour was common in the 1970s but I'm not seventeen any more. By then I'd been on my feet in a cramped space for over two hours.

The set was mercifully short, but I won't be bothering to go see them again. As another punter near me said "Someone needs to tell them that they don't have to copy everything about the 70s."

Huh.

Well, so, you're not seventeen anymore but... that is absurd - who the hell do hey think they are? In the 1970s it was drugs, booze, jail, maybe too much partying, but in the Twenty Hundreds... there's no accounting for someone being on their phone just prior to a show.

Or whatever their excuse may be.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 11, 2023 11:15

Greta Van Fleet - Meeting the Master - (from the 2023 album Starcatcher) :

[www.YouTube.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 11, 2023 12:24

shadooby

Wolfmother had the same postioning - ripping off the golden 60’s - and now they’re more or less gone.

Imo it’s guys like GVF or Wolfmother who put rock n roll in danger of extinction : if you have nothing new to offer - just a bad rehash of songs you grew up with- why dont you just play in your garage covering the 60’s tracks you like?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-11 12:25 by dcba.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home