Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
OT: Greta van Fleet
Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: November 22, 2019 14:54

Have been to GvF last night in Munich. Although the band members are very very young, a lot of fans were in their 50ies or even 70ies. They sound a bit like LedZep and I really liked them, very tough music, great musicians. Visit a concert if you can and as long they do exist.But I noticed that there was almost no interaction between the four actors on stage. When I remember seeing the Rolling Stones live on stage you can omagine, how much fun Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood seem to have on Stage.

Re: OT: Greta van Fleet
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 22, 2019 15:02

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 22, 2019 15:37

Is she the girl that's so pissed off? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 22, 2019 16:33

I thought Greta van Fleet was married to Leonard Skinner.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: November 22, 2019 16:43

My video off AFAS Live

[youtu.be]

Re: OT: Greta Van Fleet
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 23, 2019 05:00

I'm going to guess, based on watching that live video from Christiaan, that, based on what I've read in quite a few places, what a lot of people have a problem with GVF is

they ARE copying Led Zeppelin even down to their stage presentation
the singer hasn't lived enough... and still sounds like a kid
no one went through a lot of work to become GVF like LZ members did to become LZ
no one has been damaged
the singer hasn't lost anything
no one has lost anything
they don't sound original AT ALL
they aren't anywhere near as good as Led Zeppelin

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 23, 2019 14:50

When I first heard of Greta van Fleet, I thought she might be Captain Beefheart's granddaughter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-23 14:50 by ab.

Date: November 23, 2019 16:37

It is seemingly impossible not to like GVF if you are a fan of early 1970's Led Zeppelin. I don't give a hoot how much these guys have 'borrowed' Zep's style and sound - they have done a great job. Love the music!

Date: November 24, 2019 03:01

HopeYouGuessMyName
It is seemingly impossible not to like GVF if you are a fan of early 1970's Led Zeppelin. I don't give a hoot how much these guys have 'borrowed' Zep's style and sound - they have done a great job. Love the music!

Their spirit of performing has seemingly pissed off a lot of people. Which is hilarious.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 24, 2019 03:43

HopeYouGuessMyName
It is seemingly impossible not to like GVF if you are a fan of early 1970's Led Zeppelin.

That's like saying it's impossible not to like the The Black Crowes if you are a fan of the Stones and the Faces.
Or like saying that it's impossible not to like The Monkees if you are a fan of the early Beatles.
Or like saying it's impossible not to like Sha Na Na if you are a fan of '50's rock and roll/doo wop.

In either of those cases it's very possible not to like them, though I do have a soft spot for the Monkees having grown up watching their tv show in the late '60's/early '70's.

I sort of liked the very first tune I heard from Greta Van Fleet (forget the name of it) after hearing it on Jonesy's Jukebox radio show a couple of years ago, but after watching some videos on youtube it became clear they're not very good.
It's not just the songs themselves, but also that the singer who tries to sound and pose like Robert Plant, and the guitar player who copies every single Jimmy Page stance and pose in existence...they're good posers, I'll give him that.
Then seeing them perform on SNL was pretty bad...really bad. Anyhow, no biggie...at least the young kids of today have an option to listen to music that attempts to capture something that already happened decades ago.

Just realized this thread has been merged again with another older Greta thread - happy to say my post above is consistent with my previous opinions!

And then just read this quote:

jazzbass
I think the singer is a girl no? Very Zeppelin-esque.

Lol............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-24 19:28 by Hairball.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 25, 2019 01:49

I'm an "old" man...and I like Greta Van Fleet...sue me!

>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-25 01:50 by shadooby.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 12, 2020 21:15

New song:

[www.youtube.com]

As poor as it is possible to get. The Zep influence is gone.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 12, 2020 23:05

Nice tune and strong chorus. I like the mix of 12 string and slide on the riff...good one! It’s about time they did new music

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 12, 2020 23:24

noughties
New song:

[www.youtube.com]

Sounds like The Seahorses, John Squires post-Stone Roses band.

Date: October 12, 2020 23:38

Thought they might go the Black Sabbath route after all the Zep comparisons...a bit heavier, but instead they now sound a bit like Rush meets the Partridge Family.

Date: October 13, 2020 00:58

The singer's timbre is brittle. There's no oomph, no body, just very high end and shrill.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 13, 2020 02:45

Hairball
Thought they might go the Black Sabbath route after all the Zep comparisons...a bit heavier, but instead they now sound a bit like Rush meets the Partridge Family.

I heard RUSH as well...still looking for Partridges...

Date: December 4, 2020 21:27

Their new single from their upcoming album to be released April 16:

[www.youtube.com]

I like it. However, who knows how the rest of the album will be like?

Date: December 5, 2020 00:25

Eeeek....those vocals are frightening....eye popping smiley

Date: December 5, 2020 01:46

Hairball

I agree. They´re not good. I`m far from convinced about this stuff.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 5, 2020 08:29

Although I’ve not yet listened to the new tune posted above - I like what I have heard from them in the last couple years. I’m not a big Zep fan - so I guess I’m
not bothered by the obvious comparison between the two bands.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 5, 2020 09:27

noughties
Hairball

I agree. They´re not good. I`m far from convinced about this stuff.

It's almost like K-pop for hard rock. Not saying that's a bad thing (see Babymetal). Just won't be high up on my playlist. So much music, so little time...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-05 11:26 by crholmstrom.

Date: December 9, 2020 23:22

noughties
New song:

[www.youtube.com]

-He`s wheezing!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 9, 2020 23:57

I saw them on Colbert last night. They have actually gotten worse if that's possible. There's a reek of a sleazy old school management team in all of this. Kind of like KISS, all hype no substance.

Date: December 10, 2020 15:15

Yeah, it was actually that clip from Colbert that made me do this post. Never have I seen a more sleazy performance. -Jump suit, moustache, riffled hair and some generic boogie rock. -And this from a band that was supposed to be Led Zeppelin?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-10 18:30 by noughties.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 10, 2020 18:24

We all agree they're awful but aren't a marketing project, rather than a band, aimed at the 12-20 yo audience that, with Greta, will get a taste of the 70's.

Remember Wolfmother? GVT looks the same to me = selling 70's vibes to "born after 2000" consumers.
Note I wrote "consumers" not "music lovers". winking smiley

I'm sure GVT will make tons of money touring the festivals scene thru their career. They'll play afternoon 45 minutes sets to 50000+ audiences that'll clap their hands and light a joint during their gig.
No one will really remember but the audience will have a good time with them while waiting for the headliners of the day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-10 18:27 by dcba.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 10, 2020 21:55

Bloody heck. That song, posted a few days ago, the single... It's just another load of copped Zeppelinesque riffs and Bonhamesque fills and Plantesque vocalizations. There is really nothing expressively creative about this band. I can only imagine their fame is due to taking a portion of the Zeppelin formula, a watered down one at that, and offering it up to the many young people who simply have not experienced it before hearing GVF. It just doesn't interest me.

Date: December 11, 2020 02:31

Be very warned. The vinyl is gonna be a 2LP. That means that after every third song, you have to change side or record.

Date: December 11, 2020 05:16

noughties
Yeah, it was actually that clip from Colbert that made me do this post. Never have I seen a more sleazy performance. -Jump suit, moustache, riffled hair and some generic boogie rock. -And this from a band that was supposed to be Led Zeppelin?

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen anyone perform on a stage designed by Home Depot!

What the hell is up with the screeching fuzz lip frizz top and his - didn't anyone they have with them notice that he has a paunch that does not work in a one piece pajama?

Even Led Zeppelin didn't dress up in nighty pant suits without shoes.

No shoes. WTF. So dumb.

Date: February 11, 2021 13:35

New song. Each song has got it`s own symbol, right? Nice beginning and end. The melody comes across as more thought than felt:

[www.loudersound.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-11 13:54 by noughties.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home