Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: OT - Greta Van Fleet
Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: April 8, 2019 23:14

They suck.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 8, 2019 23:22

dcba
keefriff99
but good for them for making rock'n'roll slightly more popular with younger fans.

You raise an interesting point : does a rock newbie need a 4th-rate band to discover rock? Does a 12-yo need a Michael Bay turd to discover films?

Isn't it preferable that young people enter a cultural field through a significant figure (the Stones, Kubrick) rather than a pretty bad one (GVF, Michael Bay).

My favorite band and favorite director. thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 8, 2019 23:29

mikehat
They suck.

Yes they do.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: April 8, 2019 23:45

I dont wanna be like Dean Martin with the early Stones,they're so young,let them grow !!!
Enjoy,thats good Rock n'Roll.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 9, 2019 00:00

dcba
keefriff99
but good for them for making rock'n'roll slightly more popular with younger fans.

You raise an interesting point : does a rock newbie need a 4th-rate band to discover rock? Does a 12-yo need a Michael Bay turd to discover films?

Isn't it preferable that young people enter a cultural field through a significant figure (the Stones, Kubrick) rather than a pretty bad one (GVF, Michael Bay).
It rarely works that way. If a parent (or grandparent) sees a kid listening to GVF, then they might say, "Hey, if you like them, check out Led Zeppelin...now THESE guys were the real deal."

But without GVF priming their interest, it's just old peoples' music that they might tune out.

And who cares how kids arrive at art? My first major exposure to the Stones was when they played the VMAs in 1994. Had you stodgy lot had your way, they wouldn't have "lowered" themselves to performing on MTV, and I might not be a fan to this day.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: April 9, 2019 00:12

keefriff99
dcba
keefriff99

It rarely works that way. If a parent (or grandparent) sees a kid listening to GVF, then they might say, "Hey, if you like them, check out Led Zeppelin...now THESE guys were the real deal."

But without GVF priming their interest, it's just old peoples' music that they might tune out.

And who cares how kids arrive at art? My first major exposure to the Stones was when they played the VMAs in 1994. Had you stodgy lot had your way, they wouldn't have "lowered" themselves to performing on MTV, and I might not be a fan to this day.

well said. I'd take my kids listening to a bit of anything with guitars in (which they have, and got in to some good stuff by osmosis) alongside the horrors of cardi b etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-09 00:13 by yorkshirestone.

Date: April 9, 2019 00:22

yorkshirestone
keefriff99
dcba
keefriff99

well said. I'd take my kids listening to a bit of anything with guitars in (which they have, and got in to some good stuff by osmosis) alongside the horrors of cardi b etc
Heh, no kidding.

I really try to be open-minded about new music, but damn...I've been seeing a girl who's quite a bit younger than I am, and some of the pop and hip hop she listens to is unbearable. I actually like rap from the '80s and '90s, but this modern stuff is damn-near unlistenable to my old ears.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: April 9, 2019 00:24

5strings
I dont wanna be like Dean Martin with the early Stones,they're so young,let them grow !!!
Enjoy,thats good Rock n'Roll.

Dean Martin Introduces the Rolling Stones

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 9, 2019 00:56

As my grandpappy used to say "I'd just as soon listen to a fat man fart!"

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 9, 2019 02:29

scottkeef

That would be KPOP if the fat man is straining...Fleet is part of the cure to the modern scourge of technofarts

Posted by: Turner ()
Date: April 9, 2019 02:41

I agree with OP, Greta Van Fleet make good music. Everything is derivative if you are honest but these guys know what they are doing. It's fun to listen to and especially because there isn't enough of that ilk to be found anymore. Fratellis are great too. I also recently discovered Nick Waterhouse and Samantha Fish...was delighted to hear musicians that can still create tunes that swing.

Date: April 9, 2019 03:14

ThePaleRider
HopeYouGuessMyName
The Rolling Stones have been my favorite band for a long, long time. I will soon be 62. I have also loved the music of Blue Öyster Cult, Queen, Aerosmith, Kinks, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. The 'newest' band that I have really embraced since I am 17 might have been U2 (and yes, I know that they ain't new) Finally, after a lifetime of searching... I think I have finally 'discovered' a band that I genuinely like (a lot) GRETA VAN FLEET. Sure, they sound like Led Zeppelin. And I mean they sound like vintage Led Zeppelin with a young Robert Plant. I don't know how original these guys are - but I love their music. Anyone else out here discover these guys?

Your story is my story too. I love most of the classic rock bands...and pretty much no band that started after the early 80's, except U2. There have been a couple that I enjoyed...INXS, Black Crowes etc, bands that sound like 'classic rock'. GTF?...sure why not...I may be old and they may be young but I'll listen. I just won't buy their tee-shirt,lol....

That's so funny that my story is your story... I thought I was so lamely unique... I am pretty sure that I would also unlikely be wearing a GVF shirt either... But, damn if someone had told me that this was unreleased Led Zeppelin from 1973 - I am pretty sure I would have believed. I don't give a fig how much like Zep it sounds - that is precisely why I love it!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 10, 2019 01:03

dcba
keefriff99

Someone wise once said 'opinions are like *ssholes'...or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-10 01:06 by treaclefingers.

Date: April 10, 2019 01:05

scottkeef

Good to see your full transformation to grandpappy status.

Your gold watch is in the mail to you today!

Re: OT: Greta Van Fleet
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 12, 2019 04:42

Where The Cult, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden and even Pearl Jam aped some Zep, STP the most, GVF is the new Kingdom Come.

Unlike what The Black Crowes did by aping the Stones and the Faces, GVF is only about Led Zeppelin.

If it gets people into rock music again, and kids into playing guitar again, it's only a repeat of what the Stones were doing coming to America etc in the mid 1960s.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: April 12, 2019 15:56

Remember when the rock critics called Stone Temple Pilots a carefully calculated Los Angeles record company created grunge hit makers? When they first came out they were tossed aside a Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains knock offs. Time has a way of changing perspectives. Now Core is considered a rock classic.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 12, 2019 18:12

treaclefingers
Someone wise once said 'opinions are like *ssholes'...or something.

Not an opinion but an idea.
You know the stuff that sometimes makes other people's head hurt. grinning smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 12, 2019 18:43

GasLightStreet
Where The Cult, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden and even Pearl Jam aped some Zep, STP the most, GVF is the new Kingdom Come.

Unlike what The Black Crowes did by aping the Stones and the Faces, GVF is only about Led Zeppelin.

I see your comparison, but the difference to me is Kingdome Come were laughably bad as well as a label invention...GVF has some nice riffs and well done chorus arrangements...there is no Kashmir ripoff here. This stuff doesn't go any further than LZII. Although the mention of the "land of ice and snow" in one the tracks will roll anybody's eyes...

Date: April 13, 2019 08:08

Munichhilton
GasLightStreet

I see your comparison, but the difference to me is Kingdome Come were laughably bad as well as a label invention...GVF has some nice riffs and well done chorus arrangements...there is no Kashmir ripoff here. This stuff doesn't go any further than LZII. Although the mention of the "land of ice and snow" in one the tracks will roll anybody's eyes...

Ha ha... I've only ever heard the on KC song... and no one has ever talked about another one! It is a pretty decent Zep rip off.

Date: April 13, 2019 08:09

mnewman505
Remember when the rock critics called Stone Temple Pilots a carefully calculated Los Angeles record company created grunge hit makers? When they first came out they were tossed aside a Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains knock offs. Time has a way of changing perspectives. Now Core is considered a rock classic.

I vaguely recall that... but it didn't influence me liking the record. Great band, really, and their second LP was outstanding. I liked the third one but by then Weeeeeeeland had kinda gone off the rails.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 13, 2019 15:54

That is their battle; old people giving them shit because they are young and don't read/learn from the 70's rock behavior rules book. Each popular band have their battle.
The kids are alright; let them rock!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: April 13, 2019 16:02

rollmops
That is their battle; old people giving them shit because they are young and don't read/learn from the 70's rock behavior rules book. Each popular band have their battle.
Rockandroll,
Mops

I get why people may not like them, but I don't understand the 'old man, git off my lawn!' passionate vitriol.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 13, 2019 16:29

treaclefingers
rollmops
Rockandroll,
Mops

I get why people may not like them, but I don't understand the 'old man, git off my lawn!' passionate vitriol.
Treacle; when we get old we think we know better and sometimes we do; but the young bands have to figure out how to rock in the 21 century. Good luck to all of them and their fans.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: April 13, 2019 17:42

rollmops
treaclefingers
rollmops
Rockandroll,
Mops

Treacle; when we get old we think we know better and sometimes we do; but the young bands have to figure out how to rock in the 21 century. Good luck to all of them and their fans.
Rockandroll,
Mops
Great comments from both of you.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 13, 2019 19:33

First time I ever heard them was last year on Jonesy's jukebox radio show and they played a live set in front of a crowd - have to admit it was pretty good, albeit very contrived and the singers vocals were a bit harsh.
Then the more I heard them, the less I liked them - kind of a backwards effect of other bands that take time to appreciate. Seeing them on SNL was the clincher - amateurish clones of classic rock without any originality.
Watching the guitar player pose in every possible way the same way Jimmy Page did - it was almost like a spoof and a mockery. According to some of their fans, it wasn't their best performance being in the big spotlight of SNL, but I've seen a few other live videos of them and came to the same conclusion - they suck. All that said, I'd probably like them more if I had zero knowledge of the history of rock and roll music and all the timeless and truly great/original singers and guitar players from the past. As it stands though, they pale in comparison to almost everything they were influenced by...like derivative shadows (which might have been a great name for them).
Best wishes to them , and hopefully they can rise above and evolve in to something more original and creative in the future - and who knows, I might even like them some day.

Grumpy old man "Get off my lawn"! rant over.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 13, 2019 20:56

Singer sounds like young Robert Plant. Band cops early Zeppelin. That’s the phenomenon. There’s no great drummer, there’s no amazing guitar player, it’s just a loud band that cops early Zeppelin, and that is just not exciting to me.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: April 13, 2019 22:14

How did they manage to get a major record deal, get promoted in music publications/websites, booked on late night TV shows, and booked on tours? Why this band and not another? There are always bands on late night talk shows, and I sometimes see them while changing channels. Most of them aren't very good. Greta Van Fleet are not the worst.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 13, 2019 23:47

Their audience is middle-aged guys who grew up listening to Zeppelin and miss them.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 14, 2019 18:31

wonderboy
Their audience is middle-aged guys who grew up listening to Zeppelin and miss them.

It isn't.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 14, 2019 19:28

Tate
Singer sounds like young Robert Plant. Band cops early Zeppelin. That’s the phenomenon. There’s no great drummer, there’s no amazing guitar player, it’s just a loud band that cops early Zeppelin, and that is just not exciting to me.
Agree....I liked them at first but I find them really boring...rather listen to the real thing, it’s light years better

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1402
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home